Old 11-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #4733
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sweet, Hittenstiehl.

My iPad cover is out for delivery...

I pulled a black microfleece jacket out of the closet the other day...a remnant of my daughters fall semester in London her senior year almost 20 years ago.

London is a “ dressy” city, and she needed an upscale jacket her middle class self could wear out and about...it worked very well for her.

A Travelsmith item, rather long in the body...which I like...and of very good quality, I couldn’t bring myself to part with it when she was no longer interested in it.

So, pulled it out, inspected it and washed it up.

In perfect condition, but for two, small cigarette burns/melts about where someone holding a lit cigarette might bump it up against a person they were standing close to.

I have just orderdered a few small, embroidered appliqués to sew over these spots...dark red roses...going to do a cluster of three.

And, I’m going to wear this jacket when the occasion calls for it.

Maggie

Old 11-02-2017, 05:10 AM   #4734
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I agree. Your blog has been very therapeutic for me as I've made the transition into that different life after losing John. I hope you keep it going.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #4735
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Mimi ...I so admire your strength, going thru what you did with your husband’s extended illness and your plans for your life since.

Maggie
Old 11-03-2017, 05:47 AM   #4736
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Maggie,
I would like to let you know that your blog has helped me, in that we lost my mother in law about the same time you lost Doug.

Your blog has helped me to think and understand a lot about how my father in law is moving through the world without his beloved by his side.

So thank you for sharing.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:51 AM   #4737
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Awww, thank you PB, and good to hear from you.

Maggie
Old 11-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #4738
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’ve cleaned the little house, done the laundry, and baked a batch of cookies to take to the Iowa crew...it’s Friday, and it’s what I do.

There is something so innately satisfying for me in a) cleaning, and b) cooking...no hoping for positive long term results , but they’re right there, done by your own hands...immediate gratification.

I get the same satisfaction out of crocheting, creating something with my own two hands that someone else can use. A good thing.

There were many years when seasonal clothing was purchased bi-annually for all of the grandkids by Doug and I, to help their young parents out with these costs. We were able to do it, enjoyed it, and the parents appreciated it.

All the parents well established professionally these days, they don’t need the help at this point, but I still always pick up a few things because I like the kids to have something their Grandma got for them...they love it, and I love it.

Sherpa lined hoodies for the boys, and sweater fleece for the girls, arrived yesterday via great pre-holiday bargains...distributed here, and being carried with to Iowa, my sweet babies will be wrapped in Grandma hugs whenever they wear them.

I’m starting to look at the map and think about routing myself out of here in about 2 months.

I’m looking forward to going back to Louisiana, where I have not been since the year Doug died...when Lily and I ran away from home the middle of December and didn’t come back til March.

We spent Christmas in Natchitoches, a beloved place of ours, and where I felt close to Doug... Skyping with the grands as they opened their gifts.

A very, very difficult time for me, the why of which I won’t go into here. I needed to leave, so that’s what we did, and I cried all the way south.

But, that time has passed, and I will return with a lighter heart...looking forward to poking around favorite places before making my way east along the Gulf, and making plans to go into New Orleans for the first time in the after.

Doug and I went to NOLA for the first time on our honeymoon in 1992, fell in love with the place and were back 18-20 times in the next 21 years...a couple of those retirement years we went twice, simply because we could.

Looking at the map, wondering if I can safely get the Interstate into the French Quarter RV Resort...I have never driven anything in NOLA, but this place is so conveniently located for walking into the Quarter that it is where I really want to stay.

I’ve crossed incredibly high bridges and driven two lane roads at 8,000+ elevation...fighting serious fear of heights... so I should be able to do this, drive into the French Quarter, right? We’ll see.

I almost dread turning on the news these days....if it isn’t one natural disaster or horrific act perpetrated on others, it is another...or a series of others, as with the current flood of sexual assault allegations against powerful people in Hollywood and elsewhere.

My heart goes out to these victims.

To those telling their stories, may you find peace thru your disclosures...and may those still holding their secrets find the courage to come forward.

Maggie
Old 11-05-2017, 06:16 AM   #4739
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Hi Maggie,

Driving in New Orleans...my experience in 2009 when pulling my 27FB behind my Dodge down there, stayed at Bayou Segnette State Park, but when departing for Texas, pulled across the Huey P Long Bridge.. looked to be about 9 foot wide lanes in my eyes but probably more. Fortunately there were two lanes each direction so I used 1 1/2 lanes..

I suspect if one were to call the French Quarter RV Resort they could give the best directions for any RV in regards to traffic issues. But, you can do it!

Interestingly enough it is my opinion that it is "never too late" to have comforting memories. I just went through that in the town I was raised in.... and "raise..." was what I did back then. But back in Sioux Falls, I just drove around and relived in a positive way some of my childhood experiences... really great thing to have happen. So, there are some wonderful positive things that we can find when seeking them out.

My best wishes for you whether you move or not.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #4740
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
From where you've been and what you've accomplished sand grown since Doug's passing I found NO RV Resort will be an issue. My unit commander in SO had a saying, probably not original, "Self doubt is our toughest enemy". Suggest as someone else did call ahead and let them advise you. Enjoy.

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #4741
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for the words of encouragement, folks.

Doug and I have stayed at Bayou Segnette many times, and it is a good park with lots of room...but I would like to stay at the FQRV Resort, just because you can walk into the Quarter a couple of times a day, if that is your choice.

I am beyond the days of being on my feet for 10 hours or more, plus Lily will be my constant companion, so very long days in there are just not in the cards.

An early morning walk in for cafe au lait and beignets, watch the night folks go to bed, the sidewalks cleaned, and the city ready itself for the day...another walk in the afternoon to listen to the street musicians, watch the artists at Jackson Square, shop a bit, find a good meal...all those French Quarter pleasures, at least those that we rather conservative folks were interested in partaking in.

I think the entire gamut of human behavior, and any kind of deviancy, can be found in the French Quarter, depending on when and where one looks.

It was a beloved place of ours, and I am looking forward to retracing those steps and seeing what may have changed. I don’t feel like it will be difficult to be there, but then again it may be...I recall my nearly falling apart, and crying for days, when I visited his memorial bench earlier this year.

We are home a short while ago from Iowa, and had a lovely visit with these good folks. Doug’s daughter and I can have some really good talks, and she was up early with me so that we could do just that.

Took some roses to the cemetery...the florist asked what color I wanted, and I replied they must be red.

There is another fresh grave near Doug’s, a local cousin two years younger than him who died just a few weeks ago...you’re getting lots of good company out here, honey.

I am sure, could he say, that he would like seeing family members join him at Grace Hill. Before his in 2014, there had not been a new burial of his family there in many years... but his parents and grandparents, aunts and uncles are there, and now a cousin.

Lily is pooped and crashed on the floor...visiting is exhausting for her, keeping other dogs away from me, monitoring any consumption of food, etc..

It was 65 in the little house, so first thing I did was start a fire.

Maggie
Old 11-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #4742
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Oh my... Cafe du Monde, cafe au lait and beignets, usually about three of each for me. So, Maggie, I would go down to Nawlins, just to see you and of course....
while sitting and eating, enjoying the entire show at 9:00 AM....

New Orleans_08.04.2016TFL-6 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #4743
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, thats the place.

Our favorite street musicians were Mother Tongue, and we have two of their CD’s.

I’ll be there sometime in January, Tommie...

Maggie
Old 11-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #4744
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The red leaf maple in my front yard ...aka “Caleb’s tree”....freshly trimmed of some low hanging branches.

I got out there yesterday, trusty reciprocating saw in hand, and intended to do this myself, but my neighbor across the street would have none of it.

The saw shuts off the moment you let up pressure on the trigger, but he still feared I would seriously maim or injure myself...it is true that I must use both hands to steady and direct it, and would be working over my head.

We are having a most beautiful fall, here in central Illinois.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D0C4FDCE-83EA-477E-A79D-8D90AD666198.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	593.4 KB
ID:	298576  
Old 11-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #4745
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Don’t we all do this, many times in our lives...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B5EF989-5B3A-44CE-9F9F-07D1C22135F4.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	298577  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #4746
Rivet Master

1961 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
That red leaf Maple is fantabulous. The picture of Autumn.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote