Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2021, 06:20 AM   #6701
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to hear, Mimi!

I’ll be in the “1c” tier of vaccines here, but it will likely be a few months before that begins.

A loud crack and crash about 3:30 this morning signaled a large, ice and snow encrusted tree branch coming down at my neighbor to the north...right on a vehicle in their driveway.

And why not, a never-ending ice storm, with no temps high enough to melt in sight???

It’s not 2020, tho, it’s 2021!!!

Sigh.

Maggie
Old 01-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #6702
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have made a very determined effort not to increase my alcohol consumption during all that our collective selves have had to deal with in the last year.

And are still dealing with.

This afternoon, however, I needed a hot whiskey.

And, I made myself one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4763006-F1D9-4671-AB3D-2FB49C45D0AF.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	386371  
Old 01-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #6703
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Slantia!

Happy New Year,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #6704
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Talking with friends today, talking thru recent events, I determined that what I am feeling is disoriented...a generalized feeling of life shaken, for lack of a better explanation.

It makes me wonder if this is what people in war-torn countries experience and live with on a much greater scale...and if so, however do people do it?

What a time we are living in, so many things we have never experienced before now converging in the same space and time.

Our trees and shrubs and everything, now on day 5, are still heavy with snow and ice, with tree branches still coming down under the weight of it.

It is fitting, somehow.

Maggie
Old 01-07-2021, 08:42 PM   #6705
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Our current state of the country and occurrences are very disconcerting times.

Feelings of discomfort, anxiousness, overwhelmed, discombobulance, unease, distrust, unknown, unsure are all very valid responses to what is happening. Normal responses to stress.

Although we may indivually be safe in our homes and daily activities we are also aware of the possibilities. As travelers we cannot live with our heads in the sand. It is our ability to educate ourselves, watch our surroundings, extricate ourselves from uncomfortable environments.

Disconnect from the news a bit. Find quiet time. Drink that tea (whiskey) and light that fire and hope (pray).

As I watched the news of yesterday's events I thought if this TV we're on mute and a few years earlier I might wonder what country this was happening in.

Aware but not afraid, just disappointed, we know better.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:55 AM   #6706
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, normal human responses to extraordinary events and times.

It is trauma, experienced on a massive scale and via events occurring at a distance.

It is a feeling of trying to find “center”, again, when life as one knows it has forever changed.

A process, not an event, I remind myself.

Maggie
Old 01-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #6707
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We get up, and we go on.

It’s Friday, and the routines that order my life provide an emotional structure that is comforting and settling, for lack of a better term.

Little house has been cleaned, laundry done and Lily has had a walk.

Still living in hanging ice and snow, walking in YakTrax, a large tree branch came down across the street overnight, taking gutter with it but thankfully no serious damage to their home.

Made a trip out this morning, to the post office and to buy fruit, because ambrosia sounds good.

Winter food, and I remember growing up being tasked by my mother innumerable times with removing all those orange and grapefruit sections.

I didn’t enjoy it, but liked the end product, and, as with so many things, appreciate the learning of it to bring forward into my adult life as I established routines of my own.

Doug and I used to stand side by side at the kitchen counter, and make this a gallon at a time.

It’s a new day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0958275E-251C-48B8-9CA1-DB12A552C156.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	386490  
Old 01-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #6708
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And...there is always fire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6656C50E-95C7-4586-AE35-6F1BCBC5E3CE.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	386495  
Old 01-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #6709
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Ambrosia

Hi Maggie,

Would you post your Ambrosia Recipe?

Thanks!
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #6710
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm, I don’t have an ambrosia recipe, I just make it like my Mississippi-born-and-bred Mother did.

Segments of good oranges...I usually use naval, but these Cara Cara’s looked good...and segments of good grapefruit.

All carefully and painstakingly removed from their skins with a grapefruit knife.

Mix in a glass container with any juices, add some maraschino cherries if you like, same with shredded coconut, and mix well.

If you are serving it to others, the cherries make this especially pretty.

Eat and enjoy, drink any juices left so nothing goes to waste.

I tried to find a picture online to post, but could not find one Google would allow me to save.

I’m not going to make this til the morning, will get a picture then.

There are recipes online that include pineapple, bananas, marshmallows, whipping cream, etc., all creating bastardized versions of real ambrosia, in my opinion.

Just the fruit, plus maraschino cherries and coconut, if you like.

Good, and good for you.

Maggie
Old 01-08-2021, 03:16 PM   #6711
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Ambrosia Recipe

Thanks! That sounds great. I look forward to a picture.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #6712
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is not the prettiest picture, but it’s what I assembled this morning.

I apparently no longer own a grapefruit knife, probably because I at one point expected to be on blood thinners the rest of my life and when taking warfarin one is not to eat grapefruit.

I did have grapefruit spoons, tho they are not narrow enough to nicely remove sections they did get some of it out but did more maceration than a grapefruit knife would have.

The Cara Cara oranges are almost the same color as the ruby red grapefruit, so not the nice contrast of orange and pink.

Both bags of fruit are beautiful and very juicy (purchased at Aldis), and before this picture I poured off about 6 ounces of the juices and drank it.

Maraschino cherries would be pretty, coconut would be good if you like it, but having neither of those and with same-colored fruits it looks rather dull.

However, it will be delicious and I will enjoy every, single bite.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3F98E91A-60FD-4A3B-A53D-ABB9C33C9665.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	386542  
Old 01-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #6713
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Ambrosia Recipe

Thanks for posting the picture. It looks wonderful. I will get by Aldi's today to get the fruit.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:02 AM   #6714
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Even somewhat macerated orange and grapefruit segments made a luscious ambrosia, tho I am going to get a grapefruit knife the next time I’m in one of the big grocers.

I’m not running out for any little thing these days, I wait til I have at least a short list.

This mornings coffee roast...and I must say, they look and smell about perfect.

I have learned it is very important to put only about 1/3 cup of beans in the little roaster...even just a bit closer to 1/2 cup is too much for them to roast properly.

Makes about two mornings worth of coffee for me.

It has been fun learning to do this, and if I ever get on the road again I’m going to try roasting in my tiny electric skillet.

If you are paying for electricity, why not use electricity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ADA94B42-281A-4817-B2B0-041DDD75B2E9.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	386652  
Old 01-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #6715
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The sun is shining brightly today for the first time in at least 10 days, and it is also in the upper 30’s which is allowing the hanging ice and snow to MELT!

Yikes, it has been a spell of nasty weather and we are supposed to have snow again later this week.

But, for today, we have blue skies and sunshine.

Continuing my pandemic cleaning, sorting and ridding out , my target for this week is the shelf unit in what used to be my daughters room.

It has become the last 10 years or so an extended closet for me and storage for pending/crochet projects...seashells, yarn, etc., and a half dozen pieces of beautiful fleece fabric waiting to be made into blankies.

I have made over the years and given away a few dozen of these, at least, and as I started one this afternoon I thought I would post a pic and explain the process, for anyone out there having...ummm...a lot of time on their hands, and who might be interested.

I took a pile of these to our county nursing home just before Christmas one year, and they were very excited to have them for residents, so I decided I would make these all up and donate them.

JoAnn fabics is a great place for fleece by the yard, also some WalMarts and BenFranklins in small towns.

Pick a fleece you like, then find a yarn color to go with it. I’d buy 2 regular skeins of the same dye lot, just basic yarn like Red Heart or store brand equivalent, for a 1 1/2 yard blanket.

Depending on who is the intended recipient, I will get 1 1/2 to 2 full yards, and on occasion 3 yards for a grown man like my sweet son-in-law...who has two, one for at home to wrap up in, and one he requested that he can leave at work for when he “catches a case” and doesn’t get home for a couple of days.

They wash and dry on medium heat, and wear well.

I have two in the Interstate, originally one each for Doug and I, his now has become Lily’s go-to for cold nights.

And so, trim the corners to round...I use a dinner plate and kind of score lightly with a good scissor to mark before cutting. Also trim off any selvedges.

I think that’s the right term...those white manufacturer edges with writing on them.

Made up, little imperfections disappear, so don’t fuss too much.

Use a #1 crochet hook, with right side facing you, poke a hole thru about 1/3” inch below the edge, make a single crochet, chain 2, repeat about 1/2” to the left, chain 2, and on around.

I’ll post instructions for the second row when I get there, but the first row around is time consuming so it will be a couple of days.

I’m feeling somewhat hopeful that Edisto will still be able to happen, tho know one couple who have cancelled their reservation due to just too much Covid and uncertainty.

I want to go, and am not ready to cancel, so fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B010EDE4-B9B4-44B1-A3F4-552B84D473AE.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	386816  
Old 01-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #6716
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That beautiful bright fleece matches your sunshiny day! It's very happy fabric.

I need to create some wraps or packaging for some trailer items that come down during transport.

The stainless teakettle, napkin holder, fruit basket, some picture frames, a mercury vase and some other decor type things.

Fleece lined drawstring cinch bags would protect them from bumping each other and scratches.

Hittenstiehl
Old 01-12-2021, 03:04 PM   #6717
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Fleece bags would work well, tho there are so many gorgeous fleece fabrics out there that you may find you have excess bags in need of a use.

Another idea along that line, Doug’s mother sewed up the sides of some dish towels and a bath towel for me for just that purpose, and they have worked very well.

I still have them and use them in the Interstate.

Maggie
Old 01-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #6718
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
The dish towels is my current go to and I just wrap the items up since I have the dish towels on hand. That looks a little raggedy and mismatched for my organizational gene.

Think I'll look at some fleece on my next venture out. Like you, only going out on occasion and doing multiple stops with purpose.

Hittenstiehl
Old 01-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #6719
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Pulled out my BOGS this morning and slogged thru the back yard to gather up branches downed by the ice and snow 10 days or so ago, as it has melted enough that everything was not frozen solid to the ground.

Not too many, really, and only a couple big enough that I struggled a bit with them, but got them all over the fence and then to the curb in front.

All by myself, and just before the next round of snow that begins tonight, with frigid temps to follow.

Winter in the Midwest.

Finished the first round on the blankie...so after you complete the last 2 chain stitches, switch to a 5 or 6 mm hook, slip stitch into the first single crochet, another slip stitch into the first chain 2 space, chain 1 or 2, then crochet whatever you like into each chain 2 area around.

I’m going to do 3 single crochet in each chain 2 space, which will turn into a bit of a ripple in the finished product.

You could alternate 3 single crochet with 1 single crochet, to produce a more flat edging.

Or, alternate 3-5 double crochet with 1 single crochet, which will produce a ruffle.

The second row will go much faster than the first.

Secure and tie off. I like to tie the ends together in the back, then weave in the ends.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3CEBF727-6D6B-4461-B1E6-187A93FA65E4.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	386901  
Old 01-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #6720
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Blankie finished, washed and dried.

Finished the last section by feel in the half-dark this morning, watching the news.

Snow...check.

Cold...check.

A good day to stay inside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8D8A3889-6BF0-4780-AC62-1333B42D7B99.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	386988   Click image for larger version

Name:	8B50BC1B-566C-42CE-BE0B-09EE4F61D475.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	547.8 KB