Old 10-15-2017, 06:12 PM   #4677
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I love this...I need it poster-sized, and someplace where I can read it every day.
Amen. I can relate to that. Very applicable for me at this point in time. Oh well.

Hope you girls are doing well. Been MIA for quite a while due to heavy work schedule all summer & fall. . Our first camping trip of the year at Devils Fork SP next week. Can't wait!

Hugs to Lily.

Jane

skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #4678
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I love this...I need it poster-sized, and someplace where I can read it every day.
I wish that I could give this to my ex-girlfriend. Her current boyfriend is more than toxic, but she hasn't realized it yet. She's still wondering "Why is this happening to me?" She doesn't understand that every time he kicks her out and she goes back to him, every time he knocks her around and she stays with him, every time he steals from her to buy drugs and she lets it slide, she's just giving him permission to do it again. And when I try to point it out to her, her response is "Don't pressure me!"

Sadly, only the victim can press criminal charges against the victimizer; no one can do it for her. I would press charges against him on her behalf if only I could. But as long as she's more concerned about protecting him from the inevitable consequences of his evil self-destructive life, and less concerned about protecting herself from being his victim, she'll always be his victim. It's heartbreaking to watch. Is it wrong to pray that he dies of an overdose and puts himself out of everyone's misery?

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:04 PM   #4679
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitique View Post
Amen. I can relate to that. Very applicable for me at this point in time. Oh well.

Hope you girls are doing well. Been MIA for quite a while due to heavy work schedule all summer & fall. . Our first camping trip of the year at Devils Fork SP next week. Can't wait!

Hugs to Lily.

Jane
Hi Jane, and good to hear from you.

Sorry work is getting you down, but I hope your trip to beautiful Devils Fork SP will give you some respite.

These quotes arrived at a good time for me...it is always good to be reminded that oneís experiences are so common to the human experience that people youíve never met can write about them, and nail them on the head.

Other peopleís words...they can and do impart strength and perspective, when one is otherwise struggling to find them.

Maggie
Old 10-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #4680
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I wish that I could give this to my ex-girlfriend. Her current boyfriend is more than toxic, but she hasn't realized it yet. She's still wondering "Why is this happening to me?" She doesn't understand that every time he kicks her out and she goes back to him, every time he knocks her around and she stays with him, every time he steals from her to buy drugs and she lets it slide, she's just giving him permission to do it again. And when I try to point it out to her, her response is "Don't pressure me!"

Sadly, only the victim can press criminal charges against the victimizer; no one can do it for her. I would press charges against him on her behalf if only I could. But as long as she's more concerned about protecting him from the inevitable consequences of his evil self-destructive life, and less concerned about protecting herself from being his victim, she'll always be his victim. It's heartbreaking to watch. Is it wrong to pray that he dies of an overdose and puts himself out of everyone's misery?
Yes, itís wrong, but I understand the thought.

We canít save people from themselves, and when youíve done what you can sometimes it is best to disengage...lest you become part of the cycle.

Maggie
Old 10-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #4681

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Yes, itís wrong, but I understand the thought.

We canít save people from themselves, and when youíve done what you can sometimes it is best to disengage...lest you become part of the cycle.
I am trying to disengage. I've only seen her once in three months, when she visited her mother, who is a friend of mine. But it's hard to stop caring about someone who was once important to me.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #4682
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I understand that, too.

Maggie
Old 10-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #4683
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

Sometimes, as they say in Naval Aviation, you just get into a huge hairball and have to Ďpunch outí.

At that point you are floating free and sitting on a cloud, having ďCast your fate to the windĒ. Had that as our class song in the 1960ís. We had a heck of an attitude then, but maybe it was a good policy. That, and believing that sometimes Ďsanity is overratedí. Somehow that has made it possible to deal with my life....determining that you really canít save everyone in spite of your best efforts is kinda an important part of growing up. Not an easy lesson, and itís taken me about 7 decades to learn it. Not that I like it, but itís reality

Sometimes you just have to deal with life, and drive on...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #4684
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Yes, other people's words can be good, and you've found some great ones this time.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #4685
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Iím on a bit of a tear, and yíall donít need to know why , but Iím going to use this thread to say a few things and impart a bit of food for thought...

I really, really, really despise the gossipy, malicious, jealous, snide, backstabbing stuff that goes on with too many adults....you know, the kind of stuff one would think would be largely left behind with high school...the criticizing, nit-picking apart and belittling of others because they are not like you, for whatever reason.

Some people always have to have targets, a repository for vile and vicious comments thrown out behind their backs.. the land of half and partial truths, attempting to build oneself up by cutting another down...and if they lose one target, they just find another.

Sadly, this is the kind of thing that women seem more prone to do, tho not universally, and these people are not your friends tho may want you to think so. They are the mean girls and boys, all grown up.

And Iím not talking about airing and venting and dealing with the occasional and legitimate problem, but the continual, petty, snide, small critiquing of others when their backs are turned.

$&#@%+&$#*$**#@%+$**##*%#...what is the possible positive purpose of this kind of behavior.

Does anyone believe that those who gossip about others to you wonít gossip about you to others, or that this kind of behavior engenders trust among people who must deal with each other?

It generates mistrust, and it generates self preservation thru emotional distance.

Petty gossip and cutting others down in whisper campaigns is not a recreational sport, folks, but a form of adult bullying...and should be beneath us all.

There, I said it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47C7CCA0-9B3A-4995-AC1B-08476D52A567.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	297211  
Old 10-18-2017, 05:37 AM   #4686
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Well said!

Gossip is an effort to attract attention. "Look at me! I have the latest news." The technique is used by those who have so little in the way of skill or personality that they feel they can't get people to notice them in a positive way.

Pitiful!

But that means that I should take pity on them, so I'll try. Ain't easy.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:47 AM   #4687
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Mimi...I’ve said my piece on this, so will try to now be quiet on it.

Do you have a projected finish date on the house, when you think you can start moving in?

Maggie
Old 10-18-2017, 05:54 AM   #4688

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I really, really, really despise the gossipy, malicious, jealous, snide, backstabbing stuff that goes on with too many adults....you know, the kind of stuff one would think would be largely left behind with high school...the criticizing, nit-picking apart and belittling of others because they are not like you, for whatever reason.
Gossip is the refuge of people whose lives are so empty that they can only be filled with sharing juicy tidbits from other people's lives.

Which in my opinion is even worse than having a life so empty that it can only be filled with Monday morning quarterbacking about how one would manage one's favorite pro sports team, if only the team owners would recognize one's inherently superior insight gained by watching televised sportsÖ
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #4689
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Small boo-boos repairered, a new AC shroud procured, painted (by moi) and installed by my independent mechanic up the road...a matter of minutes and a mere four screws, for which he wanted no money, but for which I insisted on giving him a $20 bill.

It has been beautiful, mild and sunny this week, but change is coming in the form of rain and cold...so I’m going to pass on a few days out in the Interstate next week, and instead get wood in to the garage and winterization done this weekend.

It seems wise, and time to put the baby to bed for couple of months.

But...today, I have cleaned the little house and washed throw rugs, and am now on the patio grilling a find from my small chest freezer...bacon wrapped, boneless Amana sirloins, purchased at least 4 years ago, in the before.

If Doug were here, he would have a beer opened and be manning the grill.

Instead, it is me and Miss Lily, who is laying close and being the minder of me and whatever I do...as is her job, as she sees it. Sweet Lily.

Early for lunch, you say?

Not if you’ve been up for hours, tearing into cleaning and washing and subsisting thus far on a bowl of Raisin Bran.

Maggie
Old 10-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #4690
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I once dragged a "valuable employee" to a couple of AA meetings in an attempt to put sobriety into her list of available optipns.... and as these things generally go, I learned a LOT more about myself than I expected to.

One very honest answer to an eternal question... Why does a nice person like her/him end up with every new lover being a more worthless specimen than the old one?
Answer: CAMOUFLAGE

Observers focus on the horrid behavior of the boyfriend/girlfriend and overlook the drinking etc. Of the victim.

A desire to "save" one friend is noble... need to save a parade? Or keep bailing out someome over and over? Then it's time to check oneself into the shop for some serious engine work.

(Hi, my name is Paula and I am a grateful recovering a**)