Old 09-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #4607
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Hi Maggie, took a little friendly liberty with this. Loved the saying you posted some time ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wordswag_1505159661035.png
Views:	50
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	294639Click image for larger version

Name:	wordswag_1505159381320.png
Views:	52
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	294640Click image for larger version

Name:	wordswag_1505159129769.png
Views:	48
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	294641Click image for larger version

Name:	wordswag_1505158962177.png
Views:	49
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	294642

Safe travels.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #4608
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Love those, Hittenstiehl!

Such a sweet baby.

Maggie

Old 09-12-2017, 03:55 AM   #4609
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of the hoses from the transmission to the radiator was stripped, and had to be ordered for delivery today, so we camped out last night on a sofa bed in the living room of DD's house.

Because of the location, and level of activity here with four adults and four dogs, a bit like trying to bed down in a train station.

As I laid down late evening to read awhile, most particularly so that Lily could go to bed , first Lenny decided to join us and then the bulldog was circling the bed, thinking he also had to be a part of the nest.

Ummm, Lily was not going to have any part of that.

Those two could do harm to each other, left unattended, but Lily and Lenny are quite the different story.

She doesn't seem jealous of him, nor particularly territorial when he wants to be close to me, and this morning while drinking my coffee I had them both....first Lily, then Lenny squeezing in between me and her.

Sweet babies.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5374.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	294662  
Old 09-12-2017, 04:24 AM   #4610
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
One of the hoses from the transmission to the radiator was stripped, and had to be ordered for delivery today, so we camped out last night on a sofa bed in the living room of DD's house.
Nomenclature: Normally when one says "radiator" one refers to the engine cooling system (heat exchanger) filled with a mixture of water and antifreeze.

The device that looks like a radiator but is filled with transmission fluid and cools the transmission is, oddly enough, called a "transmission oil cooler" or sometimes just "transmission cooler." Transmission coolers are typically mounted lower than the radiator.

On some, but not all, engines, you may also have an engine oil cooler, that is called an "engine oil cooler" or sometimes just an "oil cooler."

They all look like radiators and they're all heat exchangers, but when you talk to a mechanic it helps to use the right names. I believe that you're waiting on a part for the transmission oil cooler, not the radiator.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:25 AM   #4611
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Nice picture of the two. Often an adult dog, Lily, when introduced correctly to a pup, especially a pup with a demeanor such as Lenny seems to have they bound exceptionally well and both know there place, accept it and actually can become very close. Nice job.

Bud

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:50 AM   #4612
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Nomenclature: Normally when one says "radiator" one refers to the engine cooling system (heat exchanger) filled with a mixture of water and antifreeze.

The device that looks like a radiator but is filled with transmission fluid and cools the transmission is, oddly enough, called a "transmission oil cooler" or sometimes just "transmission cooler." Transmission coolers are typically mounted lower than the radiator.

On some, but not all, engines, you may also have an engine oil cooler, that is called an "engine oil cooler" or sometimes just an "oil cooler."

They all look like radiators and they're all heat exchangers, but when you talk to a mechanic it helps to use the right names. I believe that you're waiting on a part for the transmission oil cooler, not the radiator.
Thanks, Protag....what I know is that it comes from the transmission to the radiator, it was stripped and needed to be replaced.

Engine mechanics are like very remedial English-as-a-second-language, to me.

I'm hoping this place will be a good resource for me when service is needed and I'm in the area.

Trusted mechanics are important for people like me.

Maggie
Old 09-12-2017, 04:50 AM   #4613
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Protag
I agree with your nomenclature, but I have seen all three of those units combined into one, what I'll call a "heat exchanger assembly" for lack of the manufacturer's terminology, on older Mercedes vehicles we used to own. To the uninitiated, these can look like just one radiator. It may be like that on Maggie's Interstate.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:52 AM   #4614
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I finished the second blankie for DD's friend yesterday, then made another hat for her little girl.

I need something to fill my time, and still have enough yarn left to make a couple more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5376.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	294665  
Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #4615
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Maggie
Get the mechanics to explain to you, in simple terms, how many fluids go in and out of that "radiator." Get them to show you where the lines go in and out. Then, for the next few hundred miles, keep an eye on the things they fooled with and look for leaks. Nobody's perfect.

Even the slowest of the folks in the ESL classes learn enough English to get food and shelter. Now, learn enough mechanic-speak to keep that Interstate sound and reliable. You don't have to do it all at once, just try to learn a bit at every opportunity.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 AM   #4616
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Gorgeous hat!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 AM   #4617
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Mimi, on both counts.

It is a gorgeous hat, and the simplest of patterns...I'm so glad there are clever folks out there to create these for people like me, who like to make nice things that are not terribly labor-intensive.

Maggie
Old 09-13-2017, 05:55 AM   #4618
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Yes. Thank you to all those who design patterns for the less talented of us to knit or crochet. My favorite are the Aran Isle knitting patterns with all their cables, bobbles, fish net, etc. They are fairly simple to knit, and they look really cool when finished.

Next year, there may be time to sit and knit. I've done very little of it this year--just a few chemo hats for a friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #4619
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, you've been busy planning and getting a new home built this year, Mimi, and even once you are in it is going to consume your time and attention for a good while....but, won't it be fun!

Heading out this morning, I noticed that I have had so much down time these past few weeks that it almost felt like I was starting a brand new trip.

My time in New York has been good, in lots of ways, but most particularly the concentrated time with my daughter and her husband. I loved it.

Now able to make some serious plans for the summer of 2018, because what I had in the works has come to fruition...my son/his have consented to me taking my grandchildren for a week to go to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Haven't heard back yet from Doug's daughter in Iowa about the one there, but I am hopeful.

Doug and I had this trip planned with them in 2014, but his sudden death so far from home rattled the young parents badly enough that they wouldn't let me take the kids so far away by myself.

While I understood, really, I do have a fair amount of experience with what happens with dependent minors when there is a catastrophe involving their caregivers....and they are not left by the side of the road to fend for themselves.

The truth is, we never know what could happen on any given day, and children need to know as soon as they are old enough what to do in case of any emergency. These three have all got limited use cell phones, with the ability to direct dial their parents, which is about as prepared as they could get, and they will be 15, 13 and 11 next summer.

I am excited about the trip...I want them to see Lake Superior, take the ferry to Madeline Island, visit the Shipwreck Museum, take a boat tour of the wrecks, perhaps go to Soo to see the locks...and whatever else I can fit into 7-8 days.

We will travel in the Interstate, but not try to camp out....too much gear to be hauled in and out, put up/taken down, etc., but we can do most of our meals out of it, and they sooooo love to travel in "the van".

It will be fun, for them and for me. I would also like to take them out West....

Three years ago at this time, I was on my first "long" trip after Doug died...5 weeks, thru Tennessee and to Alumalina at Lake Wateree State Park. I've come a long way in 3 years.

I miss him, and talk to him every day, but we are really doing pretty well, and that's what he would want.

Making our way thru widowhood, first following in the footsteps of the "before", then carving some new paths in the "after", continuing the privilege of traveling in our beloved Interstate.

Tentatively at first, then with more confidence and strength...it has seemed a logical progression, and has felt that way.

We are at a very nice PA campground in Pennsylvania for the night...didn't drive terribly far, as some cleaning and organizing is needed in here, but are on our way for the next leg of this trip.

I saw on the news this morning that WalMart.com is double-matching donations to the American Red Cross for hurricane relief....you can make a donation at the stores, or on the WalMart website.

Good to do what one can, and double matching is hard to beat.

Maggie
Old 09-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #4620
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
This is such exciting news. I remember you writing about the initial plan back then and now it's in the works. The memories you will make.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote