Old 07-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #449
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Gail.

I will hear from her, eventually, I am sure.

Maggie

Old 07-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #450
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Watching the Bobby Kristina Brown situation, it is sadly reminiscent of about 16 months ago, now.

I feel sure her doctors told the family what Doug's doctors told me.....that lack of oxygen to the brain for a prolonged period of time causes irreversible brain damage. Her EEG's, and other tests, would have made clear what was....and was not....going on.

Lack of oxygen, I was informed, is a different insult to the brain than that from a traumatic brain injury....from which a person can spontaneously awaken and be at any range between severely disabled to completely normal again.

I haven't read whether they have any idea how long BKB was face-down in the water, but they were able to get her heart started again, so it couldn't have been a terribly prolonged period, as I understand these things.

I started CPR on Doug as soon as I saw he was no longer breathing....although what appeared initially to be him gasping for air was actually not true respiration that circulated oxygen....I should have begun CPR immediately, and if a defibrillator had been available, he might have been saved.

CPR continued via someone until his heart was restarted in the ER some 40 minutes later, or so. Too long, . And no, I don't blame myself, as I did the best I could with what I knew at the time....and he was still alive when paramedics arrived.

Something is better than nothing, they told me....and I took a Red Cross CPR class a month or so after Doug died.....it is something we should all know how to do.

The magnificent ER physician who treated Doug was very kind, but very clear, that there was little hope of Doug regaining "meaningful brain function"...5% chance....as CPR is not adequate oxygenation of the body and brain.

BKB has been off a respirator for quite a long time, and has hung on. Doug lived for two hours after his respirator was turned off, 3 days after he was initially stricken.

I feel very sad for her family at this time. I know something of what they are, and have been, struggling with.

They are in my thoughts, and I wish for her and them a peaceful passing.

Maggie

Old 07-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #451
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have finished "The Butterfly and the Violin"....historical fiction, based on real events, set during WWII, the concentration camps, etc.

Not an upper of a book, but excellent nonetheless, and about the strength of the human spirit in the face of unanimaginble adversity.

Having a cold wave here today, haven't even needed the AC....and just in time for my stint of dry camping, beginning tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 07-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #452
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Maggie[/QUOTE]

Maggie .. sorry about delay in posting wedding picture of Hanson & Jenny ..
twas a lovely affair ...
will pop one on this evening if wifi permits ..
Old 07-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #453
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Lili!

Would love to see a photo of all of you in your wedding finery.

I'll watch for it.

Maggie
Old 07-02-2015, 11:15 PM   #454
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
Hanson & Jenny Wedding Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hi Lili!
Would love to see a photo of all of you in your wedding finery.
I'll watch for it.
Maggie
We've reached Goodlett ..
Texan Heat is Nothing compared to Las Vagus ..
Nothing ..
I have never had a situation where my laptop burnt my hand
and gave up the Ghost ..
Spied a few Airstreams between Dans in Port Angeles to Goodlett ..

Heres the first Picture of the wedding ..
I have a few to show ..
But internet on our travels is iffy ..
Ill try post another tomorrow
Jennys friend made the delicate Fan to match the dress and pretty shoes
I bought for her .. Shoes and dress were shipped from USA to
England back in May ..
in fact .. I have a fan too .. over the moon with it .. beautiful ..
Cant believe .. Hans Jnr nearly didnt make the flight ...
was in a dreadful state on the plane ..
caught some sort of virus and was violently sick ..
still a trifle peaky on the pictures ..
He photographed a wedding himself in LA before his wedding
so it would have been a nuisance all round if it'd gone belly up ..

Toodiloos for now ..

Hotel Room Before the Ceremony ..
Old 07-02-2015, 11:18 PM   #455
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
Picture won't post .. Ill have to email you ..
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-03-2015, 06:22 AM   #456
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Texas in July. You are brave.

I'll post this pic for you.....Hans, Jr., and his Jenny.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	242118  
Old 07-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #457
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Congratulations! May the graces of Holy Matimony fill their days with joy.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #458
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are settled into our new spot, tanks dumped and fresh water replenished.

No electricity, but temps are down about 15 degrees, with a high of only 81 today, so it will be quite comfortable

Also, we are now in full shade, as posed to full sun, and on a level site. . Doug would say "Buddha smiles".

We had a hellacious storm during the night, one of those that caused Lily to snuggle up close and keep her head up, watching and listening carefully, til it was over.

It reminded me that I am in Kansas....during tornado season.

My sweet daughter gifted me a book on Kindle...All the Light We Cannot See...which she says is excellent. Just passing that on.

I read a lot when I am traveling, Doug and I both did, although he liked history, history, politics and more history, and occasionally I could nudge an especially good thriller his way.

His last book finished before he died was "The Brothers Karamazov". I so loved and respected his mind...he was one of the smartest men I have ever known.

I am prone to historically based fiction, crime thrillers, good novels, social issues in the U.S., and some history....nothing too high brow, but it's what I like, and what relaxes me.

Heading into Emporia tomorrow. If I am lucky, there will be a lovely city park where I can settle into a shady spot for the night.

Maggie
Old 07-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #459
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is about 60 incredible degrees here this morning, and I slept very, very well last night.....windows open, cool air coming thru. Absolutely lovely.

This lower area of the Couer Dalene campground is the prettiest in the whole place, in my opinion. Heavily treed, and now full of tenters....but for moi.

Lots of kids, bikes, and dogs here, every site now filled. One family has five dogs. Lily has been a bit overstimulated, as even if she can't see them she can smell them. Hard for her to rest between walks.

They are very relaxed here, with no lists of rules dispensed, in spite of the curmudgeons at the office. Dogs loose at their campsites....not Lily, of course, as she could not restrain herself from confronting any dog that walked by.... lots of music, and just a very relaxed atmosphere. Plenty of patrolling, but no rigidity. I like.

Watching the temps in Quemado, NM, and they are very moderate due to elevation, just as Ray said. .

I truly melt in high heat and humidity, and can barely keep enough fluids in me to replenish what is lost in sweat. No delicate, ladylike, perspiring for me.

Am enjoying the last of Sara's cold brew coffee this morning....mixed heavily with milk. Yum. Going to make a double batch next weekend to take out into the wilds....it will provide an immediate, morning infusion of liquids and caffeine, with no use of propane and fresh water store.

I'm starting to get excited.

Maggie
Old 07-05-2015, 06:30 AM   #460
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Laundry done and fresh produce picked up at the grocery store, I looked for somewhere to park for the night that did not include WalMart.

The lovely little parks are closed 11p-dawn, so we tucked under a couple of trees at the fairgrounds here. Shade, good breeze, moderate temps...it worked.

Unbeknownst to me, this was the site for local fireworks, which went on from 9pm til quite late....or so it seemed...rather endless.

Lily was not happy...not shaking, but stayed very close and would periodically put her paw out to me, look at me imploringly, like...can't you make this stop?

I did finish "All the Light You Cannot See" last night, and it was a really excellent book. Set in the French Resistance during WWII. Loved it.

Going to check out the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve west of here this morning....on my way to Dodge City.

Maggie
Old 07-06-2015, 05:48 AM   #461
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I slept like crap last night.....the fireworks that seemed to go on forever kept ricocheting thru me.

Lily and I did get in an early bike ride around the fairground...I rode, she ran. Not many places we are able to do that, but she dearly loves to "go for a bike ride". She stretches those legs out, and just flies. We'll do the same here this morning.

The Tallgrass Prairie was not what I expected......reminding me that it is best not to have expectations.

It is an old estate, tho very, very grand.....huge stone home, barns, stone fences, etc. Lots of stone houses here, apparently lots of it in the ground, making it more suitable for cattle ranching than farming.

Some prairie at the Tallgrass Praire, tho no good place for a photo of my modern day covered wagon, as I had hoped. Maybe still.

This area I have been driving thru in Kansas is more rolling hills than I remember in this state......very pretty, lots of cattle, hay in huge bales in brilliant, yellow fields.... very picturesque, you can almost see these fields in a Van Gogh or Renoir ....and even spied a field of rather scrawny looking corn planted yesterday. Sorry....scrawny compared to Illinois and Iowa corn. Probably grown to eventually feed those cattle.....like that we saw here and there in Ireland.

Only drove as far as Hutchison yesterday, as a small issue with a contact lens and my right eye necessitated removing the lens and letting my eye rest.

At the fairgrounds here....electricity for AC, and nice showers. . Fairgrounds are always a rather barren place to spend a night, but inexpensive, and their bathhouses, almost universally, very clean and in good condition.

On to, and thru, Dodge City today.

Going to spend tonight at Alice's RV Park in Hooker, OK.....if you've never been, it is a treat....I'll try to get a picture.

Getting closer!

Maggie
Old 07-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #462
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Kansas today was more as I remember Kansas.....more flat, with lots and lots of wind.

Miles and miles and miles of windfarms as we approached Dodge City, and several areas of dust storms.

Passed 4 Airstreams heading east, I'm guessing on their way back home from Farmington. 3 trailers, red letters proudly showing, and one older Class B. I waved.

We have not been to Alice's RV Park in several years....it is no longer "Alice's", just "RV Park"..... and has truly gone to hell in a hand basket.

The owner was here mowing.....he is definitely not Alice....and helped me locate a site that had working 30 amp. Tried three before I found one with power. There was a fuse out of one box, broken outlets in the others.

Early in our Alice's RV Park experience, this was a beautiful little oasis in a small town with a great name....Hooker, Oklahoma.

6 pull thru, full hook-up sites, grass was watered and carefully manicured, everything worked and had a well cared for appearance that made it clear this little spot was valued by its owner....including beautiful flowers planted where the sign sits.

Not so any longer. It looks run down, worn out, and seriously neglected. .

However, PA is $10 a night for water, electric and sewer, we drove 5 hours getting here, are out in the middle of fricking nowhere.... and are staying til the am. One of those places where you close your blinds, and are glad that you are home.

There is now a Love's Truck Stop in Hooker, and I saw coming in lots of older mobile homes. This town may have become a refuge for persons displaced by the tornadoes of recent years, or for workers following jobs.

Everyone needs a place to live, but it is sad to see how this spot has deteriorated.

I'm having a glass of wine, and toasting what used to be.

Maggie