Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #641
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily loves me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	245261  
Old 08-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #642
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Aww. Aren't dogs just grand? They would live in our laps if they could!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #643
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They are, and she would.....if not in my lap, certainly close enough at all times for my hand to be on her.

She's a dear.

Maggie
Old 08-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #644
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Lily being sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Lily loves me.
Hi Maggie... Now that looks really sweet... dogs are such a great comfort... many reasons...
The hatchet sounds a tad messy... I'd stick with the torque wrench just to save the cleanup!!! ..
I have the hatchet, the gun and one of those Huge 6 battery maglights... Oh, and a 7 lb dog to trip them on the way in!!! that should cover it!!!

Since I'm on my own again I farm out the harder guy chores... and some that I just don't want to do anymore... I still do the mowing though.. I like all the yard work.. that's my fav... hugs and love to you there
Old 08-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #645
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, a hatchet would be messy, but that would be okay.

The idea would be to deter, and a bit of pain and blood would do that for most people.

May I never have to use any weapon for any reason.

Maggie
Old 08-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #646
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I ran the Interstate up to the county park north of here to dump my holding tanks this morning....hated for the tire guys to have to work on it with sewage in there , but I was going to dump on my way home Thurs.....when I had that bit of a mishap and had to be towed.

Empty now, and I scouted around there a bit for especially hospitable looking sites I might settle into periodically over this next month or so.....since I am not going to the UP.

We have stayed there only a few times, and met friends passing thru a couple of times....a pretty little park, and one small loop that overlooks the lake that I especially like. Water is always appealing, and, like fire, has its own entertainment value.

Am going to take Lily on a little road trip in the Matrix Saturday, and go to see Doug's mom for a bit. Louise loves Lily....sweet, really, for a woman who always believed dogs belonged outside.

What I'm told is that she continues to feel fine, no pain, and spends her days sitting in her chair.

What a woman.

Maggie
Old 08-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #647
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I had the tires checked on the Matrix this am (no charge where they were purchased and are rotated, also for free) and gave it a good scrub in anticipation of a run to Iowa Saturday. Clean is good.

Came back to a post in my inbox from a thread I subscribed to....by a fellow Airstreamer/his wife that I have been fortunate recently to get to know, canceling something tentatively scheduled for next year, and removing the thread.... also saying so long, farewell, to all of us here.

Those of you who followed that thread, and are also here, will know the what and the why, and that's all I'm going to say about it.

Maggie
Old 08-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #648
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Off to Needlework Group at the Senior Center in a bit.....missed it last week, as I was standing along the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.

My newest project, partly because I am tired of the usual summer dish clothes and pot holders, and partly because I am cautiously optimistic.....is a hooded baby blanket for my 10th grandchild, in white, as sex is yet to be determined.

I'll withhold specifics for a bit longer, as this little mama has struggled this past year to carry a baby, but we are at this moment farther along that ever before, likely due to some diagnostics and interventions in place.

Cross your fingers!

The cancelled event for next year that I referenced yesterday is now back on, sans participation and input on AirForums. It is a Wyoming boondocking adventure, follow-up to this years New Mexico trip....same participants, different venue. Too early to be excited about it, even for me , but I am looking forward to it and to seeing these great folks again.

I have also started looking at my clothing for the trip to Greece the end of next month....just because I like to plan, think, and strategize a bit.

I will be primarily in Athens, and read that black is the color of every day there, so that is easy....I have lots of black, in casual and medium-casual clothing, so a few scarves, comfy walking sandals, and I am good to go.

My long time friend cannot get away from work, so this will be a solo trip, but I have small group activities scheduled about half of the days I am there, so I am sure I will be fine.

I'm not getting any younger.

Maggie
Old 08-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #649
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Hi Maggie,
I hope you have a great trip to Greece. The dollar should go a long way there now, unfortunately for the poor folks that live there. I read about your tire adventure - I think the money we spend for the AAA travel insurance is worth every penny. They have come to my rescue as well and I am so glad I have that coverage. Have you read "The Walk" series by Richard Paul Evans? I am on the third book in the series and have thought of you several times. If you haven't read these books, they might be a good thing to take with you on your trip. They are so uplifting and a pleasure to read. Your oatmeal pancake recipe looks yummy Have a great trip
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #650
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Kathy, and thank you.

I have not read those books, but will watch for them.

It is always nice to go visit and hook with my fellow needlework-ers. A nice group of friendly, kindly women, many of whom are widows like me..... so we chat, share our respective projects and life events.

The lady sitting next to me was making burial clothing for preemies who die at the Children's Hospital near here....out of donated wedding gowns.

How sad, but what a noble project.

Maggie
Old 08-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #651
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I got to cleaning the little house early today, so that is already done but for finishing up sheets. I love to look around at a clean and tidy house. Makes me smile.

After much deliberation, I have decided to head to the UP for a couple of weeks, after all. Doug's Mom is reportedly her usual self....but for the malignancy growing in her abdomen .....alert, comfortable, etc.

It seems rather silly to sit here on a death watch which isn't, and I am certain she and the family don't expect that of me. At 97 1/2, she could die in her sleep today or months from today. If anything happened, I could be home the next day, and easily get to Iowa.

Lily and I will visit her tomorrow, take her a few homemade cookies and her favorite...bananas ... see my son and his on Sunday, then unless something changes, leave Monday til the first of September or so.

Why not.

I believe there may be a Forums friend in town over Labor Day weekend , so will be sure to be back in plenty of time not to miss her.

It is a good 10 degrees cooler in the UP, peaches are probably coming in, they have those fantastic Farmers Markets up there....and lots of inexpensive NF sites to settle into. The Interstate is looking at me thru the front windows, begging to be used.

After reading of "twobikes" adventures up the North Shore....more adventure than they expected ...I am also pining a bit for Lake Superior....our favorite lake of all time, and we have seen many. .

It's calling to me, and I'm going to go.

Maggie

Edisto shell candles the other night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	245448  
Old 08-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #652
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Bon Voyage Maggie! We are itching to get out ourselves. Haven't been out since May. Hope to get away around Labor Day. Maybe ToG for their rally and then Palmetto State unit's Apple Picking Rally at Palmetto Cove and then on to NC for a few weeks.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #653
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, guys.

Your trip sounds lovely....I pine for South Carolina almost every day.

Maggie
Old 08-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #654
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
"I am also pining a bit for Lake Superior"
My son Christopher is making his way along the North Shore on his return to Montreal from High Level. I am confident he is dawdling. Well learned.
Attachment 245476Attachment 245477
Well worth a circumnavigation one day, Maggie. Take Lily to the Rendezvous for an extra bit of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #655
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1439594213.452316.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	245478

Old 08-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #656
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1439594269.198316.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	245479

Old 08-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #657
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Beautiful pictures, Jim.

What Rendezvous are we talking about?

Maggie
Old 08-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #658
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I see the Rendezvous Days at Grand Portage were this past weekend, but I won't be on the North Shore, anyway.

Too far from home....1 day away is one thing, 2-3 days another.

I am planning to visit the Green River Rendezvous in Wyoming next year, if all goes well.

Have been to re-enactments of various time periods, but never one of these, so should be interesting and I may have company from fellow travelers out there.

I have had a glass of champagne tonight, and quietly cheered a modest victory today for worker bees everywhere.

Think....ants vs rubber tree plants.... and have a drink on behalf of the ants, if you wish.

Maggie
Old 08-15-2015, 04:34 AM   #659
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Beautiful pictures, Jim.

What Rendezvous are we talking about?

Maggie

Thank you Maggie. The compliment on the photos belongs to Christopher so I will pass it along.
I have not been to the Rendezvous at Grand Portage but have visited Fort William which has duplicated the activities that take place at Grand Portage. Both fort locations share the same history and both Forts have reenactments of the Rendezvous. The Fort at Grand Portage was replaced by the Fort at Fort William when the North West Company partners decided to move to an environment where they could escape increasing taxes. Sort of the opposite to today's environment. The article by Twobikes that you pointed us to, provides a great description of the Grand Portage activities. Jim

Old 08-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #660
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Had a lovely visit with Doug's Mom, and Lily did an outstanding job of licking and nuzzling, producing many smiles.

For a non-dog person, she really revels in the attention and affection from this dog.

Her time and place orientation drifts in and out, and short term memory is still poor, but she will be 98 in a few months so that is well earned.

Says she feels fine and has a good appetite. She never mentioned her cancer....I wonder if she forgot.

When we got ready to leave, she grabbed her wheeled walker and walked us up the hall, thru the lobby, and to the front door.

What a woman.

A 450 mile round trip, and a very long day, but I'm really glad we went.

Maggie