Old 09-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #4593
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I hate to hear of all the fires.

It's beautiful and sunny here today, but we're going to have a big switch tomorrow....and, I'm ready.

Maggie

Old 09-05-2017, 05:02 AM   #4594
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The hood had actually unlocked, it just hadn't "popped" to tell me...took him about two seconds to get it open, at the hood.

I'll have to work on my technique.

Sounds like a lubrication problem to me. Something, somewhere, needs a bit of slickum (oil or a more modern equivalent).

While you might be right that technique is involved, it's worth trying to get that hood back to working like it really should. Hood mechanisms normally don't take much wear, so it's usually dirt and dried up lubricant that makes them stick.

While you have your rig in the shop, ask an experienced mechanic where the hood mechanism tends to stick and what lubricant he/she recommends. Get them to teach you how to do the easy stuff--knowledge is not only power, it is also money (saved).

mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:03 AM   #4595
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was a quiet weekend here, as DD & SIL had to cancel...very cool and rainy on Sunday, so I puttered, cooked, and kept a fire going in the fireplace most of the day.

79 and sunny yesterday, so did some exploring, found some places for Lily to run and water for her to play in.

It was a gorgeous day, and warm enough at bedtime that I was looking for windows to open...absolutely quiet out.

Joseph and Gabrielle will be here tomorrow for a couple of nights, so I will today ready the cottage... am looking forward to spending time with and doing some care and feeding of them.

Some other Airstreamers have been in touch, and may join us here on Thursday...

My stay here is winding down, and it's been lovely.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2017, 05:05 AM   #4596
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Mimi....I planned exactly that.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2017, 05:08 AM   #4597
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Thanks for sharing all the peace, quiet, and beauty you have found up there. I have had a hot, sticky, and challenging summer down here, and I needed your reminder that better things await.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:09 AM   #4598
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
.I planned exactly that.

Good. You're catching on!
Old 09-05-2017, 05:11 AM   #4599
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Thanks for sharing all the peace, quiet, and beauty you have found up there. I have had a hot, sticky, and challenging summer down here, and I needed your reminder that better things await.

Next summer, you can hitch that trailer up and head for perhaps the Upper Peninsula....then revel in the cool air and breezes off the lake.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2017, 05:37 AM   #4600
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
That's a great thought! The UP would be an easy run after the big airshow at Oshkosh, WI. I'd like to go to that again. I do still own a bit of land near Thunder Bay, Ontario, so a venture into Canada might be nice also.

Or, Evelyn and I keep talking about a trip into the Rockies.

Oh, well. Dreaming is free, and that's what I'll have to do this year.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:56 AM   #4601
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Joseph and Gabrielle got in here Wednesday night, and we're having a nice visit.

Took the scenic route to Lake Placid yesterday afternoon, admiring the beautiful Ausable, and poked around a bit. Nothing much going on here but talking, cooking a bit and imbibing of favorite beverages.

I made monkey bread for breakfast yesterday morning, and if you've never done this using frozen Rhodes roll dough, cutting each in half, it is a world of difference from the traditional biscuits. They loved it.

They're going to stay til Saturday am, and help me shut down the house to leave.

Their two little dogs came with...Chins, I think...who Lily knows, but one of which is also an alpha female, so there was some barking, snapping and guarding of food going on....until we took them on a long walk together to the covered bridge.

Such a simple thing, but like day and night.

Thank you, Bud.

Maggie
Old 09-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #4602
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Back in New Windsor, on a beautiful day to drive thru the Adirondacks...leaves are turning, and the completely red trees are beautiful.

Gabrielle took this picture of the Ausable River at Whiteface...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	744.5 KB
ID:	294445  
Old 09-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #4603
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Interstate is getting a new radiator today, not a small purchase, but AAMCO offers the Synchrony credit card for 12 months same as cash.

Whyever not.

Looking at trajectory from here, and what is available where I want to go, I went ahead and joined Harvest Hosts....a very modest annual membership, for free dry camping at participating farms and wineries.

Something different, could be very enjoyable and the option of having a glass of wine and/or a meal at some of these places at the end of the day sounds appealing.

A good time of year to try it out, methinks.

Going to retrace some very old steps this next leg, and get some pictures for my sweet son of where he and I lived with his father (my first husband) the first 4 years of his life.

I have no real sentimental connection to where we lived while I was putting this man thru college...working my ass off while caring for a child... but he of course does, and I'm going to do it for him.

Going to also trek thru other areas of WVa, where my maternal grandmother came from....the one whose birth parents are a mystery....just because I'm in the area, and because a recently disclosed DNA circle on Ancestry seems to show me as a direct descendant of a man who should be my great-uncle...he being brother to my great grandmother.

He instead seems to be my great grandfather, so perhaps my MGM was his offspring in some manner, shape or form.

17 DNA circles for me on Ancestry, which are theoretically to link direct descendants of a common ancestor....16 of them are of course to my great grandparents of varying degrees, but the 17th links me to this man who should be my great uncle. Hmm.

Cool and sunny here, and all is well.

We will head out in the morning.

Maggie
Old 09-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #4604
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Joseph and Gabrielle got in here Wednesday night, and we're having a nice visit.

Took the scenic route to Lake Placid yesterday afternoon, admiring the beautiful Ausable, and poked around a bit. Nothing much going on here but talking, cooking a bit and imbibing of favorite beverages.

I made monkey bread for breakfast yesterday morning, and if you've never done this using frozen Rhodes roll dough, cutting each in half, it is a world of difference from the traditional biscuits. They loved it.

They're going to stay til Saturday am, and help me shut down the house to leave.

Their two little dogs came with...Chins, I think...who Lily knows, but one of which is also an alpha female, so there was some barking, snapping and guarding of food going on....until we took them on a long walk together to the covered bridge.

Such a simple thing, but like day and night.

Thank you, Bud.

Maggie
So glad it worked, again. In all the families I've had the chance to work with I've only found three where the fur family member did not respond to "the walk". It's pure nature to them, walking with my family and this other "thing", well the thing must be ok is at least how I've come to find it over the years. Suggestion, never have food around dogs that do not or might not get along, "resource" guarding is common even among the best behaved dogs. No human food, no dog food and no treats, unless a treat is given separately to each dog, away from each other, and by their respective family members.

Enjoy

Bud

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #4605
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Bud, and thanks as always for your very helpful suggestions.

In order to keep one dog from stealing the others food, we've always felt it necessary to feed them within view...maybe should rethink that.

They never eat it all at one time.

Lily and the tiny alpha Chin had to re-establish the pecking order each morning, but overall they did pretty well.

Back at my daughter's, Lily and Lenny picked right up where they left off...as friends do ...and wear each other out, playing.

I took them both for a good walk together this morning, Lenny being almost too strong for me to manage. It was a workout.

Maggie
Old 09-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #4606
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
When we feed the rescue dogs we don't allow them to see each other and we designed the kennels with that in mind. One dog watching another eat, even though they too are eating can cause stress and anxiety. They know food is or should be coming an hour prior to your preparing it, so the anxiety starts then and builds via anticipation and then smells. So, I'd recommend feeding at same time out of sight, if not finished pick it up and put it away. Eventually they will finish all at once. My suggestion, and as you've been doing - relax, stay calm.

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote