Old 08-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #4579
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Hi Maggie,

I think you said that you and Doug had stayed in that cottage. How do you find places like that? It looks very comfortable.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #4580
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi, Al.

Doug and I did not stay here, nor in any cabin/cottage up here, but we did spend about a month roaming the Adirondacks and Catskills in the Interstate 5-6 years ago.

Actually, this is my first rental by myself, and it feels okay.

I found this place on google, seeking Adirondack cabin rentals, and lots of places in all sizes and price ranges come up.

I looked for something small, and with either a fireplace or woodstove, also not ridiculously expensive.

It is perfectly quiet here, and we are about to head to the river for a romp.

I have some things I need to do on my laptop, this I felt was the best place to do them and so that will be the "work" of these two weeks....everything else will be R&R.

Maggie

Old 08-28-2017, 05:51 AM   #4581
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Cute fireplace!

I insisted on putting a fireplace in my new house, because there are times that you just need a good heat source "to back up to" on cold days. So far, I've only been able to stand on the foundation for it, but next winter it should be there.

I considered a wood stove, but that part of Texas has a mild winter climate, and I couldn't justify the cost for the small amount of time it would be used.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #4582
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We made a run into Plattsburgh for a few things this morning, via the road that runs alongside the very lovely Ausable River...stopping at a haircut/tanning/alterations shop in Ausable Forks for a badly needed trim of my very shaggy hair.

I grew my hair out after retirement because of my addiction to my longtime hairdresser, who knew just how to cut my short layers so that they did what I wanted them to. Very important in ones professional life, not so much for traveling, but I simply could not get a trim 8 could stand to look at while on the road.

At any rate, there was the one woman shop, a customer was just leaving, and the owner/proprietor did the deed for a mere $12. I love little local places like that.

When you always wear your hair up or braided in back, if it isn't quite what you get at home it's still good. Trimmed is trimmed.

There are some lovely farmers markets up in here that I intend to visit...good places to wander around with Lily on her short leash, pick up local produce and whatever other handmade items catch one's eye.

We are really enjoying the screened in deck here...a nice breeze at all times, shaded and quiet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5319.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	293459  
Old 08-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #4583
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning Maggie..that looks like a perfect spot to do your r&r... love the fireplace... keep having fun!! Hugs and love to you two!!
Old 08-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #4584
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail.

It is really very quiet and peaceful, and I am getting a great deal done.

Maggie
Old 08-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #4585
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We got to the covered bridge near here this morning, then on to the Farmers Market in Lake Placid....just for a drive and to see what they had.

On the small side, but very nice, tucked into a parking lot in what constitutes a bustling metropolis up here...Lake Placid is busy and touristy. I prefer my quiet spot overlooking the river.

Picked up some fresh produce, a loaf of cranberry-almond artisan bread, and some "Maple Cream", which is simply maple sugar cooked down to a smooth and creamy, spreadable paste. Ummm, a toasted English muffin?

This covered bridge is apparently quite the popular swimming hole in hot weather, tho we did not go down the steep and winding path to the water. More steep than I wanted to try on my own.

DD and SIL will be here over the weekend, and I will do that with them....I really need a walking stick for solo ventures onto those sort of paths, and was without this morning.

Another beautiful and sunny day...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0337.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	293577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0335.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	293578  

Old 08-30-2017, 07:14 PM   #4586
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Ahhh, the good life!!!
Old 09-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #4587
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yesterday was chilly and mostly cloudy, so I did what any self respecting wood fire lover would do....I built a fire in the fireplace.

At 53 degrees outside, I have another going right now....why, you ask?...because, I can.

Lows predicted in the 30's tonight, so I intend to dip into that woodpile as much as seems necessary.

My leaking radiator is starting to become a chronic worry, keeping me awake at night, so I made some calls and have it scheduled to be replaced at the AAMCO in New Windsor on the 11th.

After reading their reviews and talking with the owner, who once was a mechanic for Chrysler/Dodge and specifically schooled on Sprinter Vans, this seems a good plan...also, at about 1/3 less dollars than the MB dealership.

They can also service my engine there, so should I need this again when I am in the area I will give them a try.

Seems a better option than trying to maintain its leaky self til I get home...and worrying about it.

We are doing nothing exciting...crocheting, reading, getting some work done on the laptop, walking, trekking down and back up the hill to the river, etc., etc....my basic leisure activities.

Going to make a drive into Plattsburgh tomorrow for a few errands, including picking up another piece of fleece and yarn. DD's friend so loves the blankie that I am going to make another, so that she and the new baby each have one.

DD, using her new found homemaking talents, is refinishing an old dresser as a baby gift...what a gal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5339.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	293794  
Old 09-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #4588
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Hello Maggie. Laura and I are in Crescent city, north end of California. Big fire burning in Brookings, just north of us about 20 miles. Lots of smoke. We are here for 3 days as it is the long weekend and we had to book it all. Hoping the air clears tomorrow. Wishing I was in the Catskills instead. The Ausable is well known "holy water" for fly fishers like me.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:18 AM   #4589
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gerard, and sorry you are smokey out there.

You are near the Redwoods, I see, so I'm sure you will do some exploring in there. You have done some serious miles since I saw you in June.

The Redwoods are so impressive, and I love the fragrance of them...the last time Doug and I were out there, we took a forest road for miles that actually had us above the forest and looking down.

It is a beautiful part of the country.

Thanks for checking in, and travel safe.

Maggie
Old 09-02-2017, 05:52 AM   #4590
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
My leaking radiator is starting to become a chronic worry, keeping me awake at night, so I made some calls and have it scheduled to be replaced at the AAMCO in New Windsor on the 11th.

After reading their reviews and talking with the owner, who once was a mechanic for Chrysler/Dodge and specifically schooled on Sprinter Vans, this seems a good plan...also, at about 1/3 less dollars than the MB dealership.

Good plan!
I see a couple or three good ideas here, and I'll point them out so you can keep the concepts for future use.
1. Small leaks are worrisome, because you don't know when they will decide to become big leaks and leave you on the side of the road.
2. Independent shops are usually far less expensive than dealers, and often better qualified. They do not exist primarily to sell you a new vehicle, so their focus is on repair.
3. You have done all you can to verify the background and training of the technician (or at least his/her supervisor) and found someone familiar with your vehicle. Why pay for someone's learning curve?

Now, after the repair is done, keep checking fluid levels. It takes a while to be sure the work was done perfectly--human beings are involved here, and none are perfect.

Hopefully, AAMCO has a warranty system that will travel with you, in case some tweaking is needed in the future.

BTW, your cabin sounds great! Wish I could get away to do something like that. Next year, maybe.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:43 AM   #4591
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Mimi.

I had a devil of a time getting the hood popped yesterday, and finally begged for a small bit of help from a neighbor man who was just returning home.

The hood had actually unlocked, it just hadn't "popped" to tell me...took him about two seconds to get it open, at the hood.

I'll have to work on my technique.

The sun is shining again today, but supposed to be 54 degrees and raining tomorrow....I'm thinking a fire in the fireplace.

Maggie
Old 09-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #4592
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie!! Good morning... I'm loving "our" cabin there... Gearheart, hello... I'm an Oregon resident..about 5 miles north of Tillamook... the news this morning said 18 fire are burning in Oregon at the moment... the Brookings one may be the biggest. Lasting I saw, over 108,000 acres... very smoky weekend, and a heatwave too... where you are now is one of my favorite areas in California, my native state... enjoy the redwoods... as Maggie said, they'd are awesome!!! Keep having fun everyone!!!