Old 08-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #4565
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for that info, Deb, and great to hear from you!

Going to do the checking of coolant and oil in the morning, having put an alert on my calendar to do these things each Friday.

Been puttering some at DD's house these last couple of days...insuring the plants we put in last weekend survive , disassembling and cleaning her vacuum cleaner , scrubbing a few floors....Mother-for-daughter things.

Going to check those fluids, clean the Interstate and probably make a run to the grocer tomorrow, so that I don't have to do those things Saturday morning...when she will be home and we must get a gifted arbor vitae planted somewhere in her yard, before her mama heads north and is no longer here to help with those things.

Excited about the cabin, and that highs there are to be in the 60's with lows in the 40's and 50's this next week.

There is either a woodstove or a fireplace, I forget which....mmmm, fires.

Lenny is at doggie day care today, so it is quiet here....I am puttering, reading and finishing a baby blankie for DD's friend who is expecting in October.

Maggie

Old 08-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #4566
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When I got up this morning, all of my news feeds had disappeared from my yahoo home page, and are not available to be reloaded.

Anyone having a similar problem?

Maggie

Old 08-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #4567
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We mothers cooked dinner tonight....she, the ethnic foods her son grew up on, while I did grilled flank steaks. Yum.

The butcher recommended marinating them in olive oil, salt & pepper, a lot of chopped fresh garlic and a little lime juice. Tender and delicious.

Putting food away, as SIL not to be home for another hour or so, we distributed the meat juices among the dogs.

Lily...shared...her...juices...with...Lenny, both of them licking off the same plate.

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would have doubted it was possible.

I finished up the baby blanket for DD's friend today, and made a little girl's baby cap with leftover yarn....and taught SIL's mother to crochet, she now working on a simple blanket edging, feeling very proud of herself.

I finished my crochet projects after retrieving my yarn which was spread from the living room all the way into the kitchen...by Lenny, of course, while I was otherwise occupied. Booger dog.

He thinks anything he can reach is his to play with.

It's been a good stay here, but I am ready to go and looking forward to the next chapter.

Maggie
Old 08-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #4568
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
There ya go, Mimi...let's both plan on it, and we'll meet up in Ohio.

It's a deal.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #4569
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hey, good morning!! I ate the first pear yesterday, thinking of you girls!! I'll be making ginger pear freezer jam for sure... fond memories... hugs and love from here!!
Old 08-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #4570
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gail!

I remember that bumper crop of pears you had, and our combined efforts in the Interstate last year to turn them into freezer jam while we chatted....then we were giving it away to anyone who seemed remotely interested.

It was pretty tasty.

We arrived at our adorable little Adirondacks cabin a couple of hours ago...a screened in deck overlooks a huge back yard which leads to the Ausable River, which we crossed several times coming up here. It is shallow and rocky and looks perfect for wading and sweet pups to play in.

Nicely furnished, with a fully equipped kitchen....and, a bathtub, where I will have a soak after awhile.

We spent the afternoon getting settled in here for the next two weeks, so will explore the river in the morning.

Good wifi provided, and I have two bars of Verizon LTE, so I am content with that....I do like connectivity.

The firewood provided is mostly not split, so any fires in the fireplace will be limited....don't think and axe and I would be safe together, but I'll have to look and see what is provided...maybe a wedge and a maul I could handle.

Lots and lots of vehicles parked along the road coming up here off 87, which I'm guessing are hikers out enjoying a sunny and cool Saturday.

I've been fighting the past week or so what seems like a mild head cold, including some pressure, occasional discomfort and hearing loss in my left ear.

I'm not one to get sick, but feel like I'm tryin to and possibly an ear infection to boot. No fever, but there's something going on.

So...yesterday I broke out the bottle of just-in-case Cephalexin my Dr. gave me when I headed out on the 2015 New Mexico trip, and am going to take it til its gone.

If I am still having problems, I will find a prompt care when I leave here and have them take a look.

I did check coolant and my oil yesterday, which was easy enough, and the dipstick shows the oil at the minimum level...does that sound right?

It is very quiet here, minus the other adults, 3 other dogs, one cat, and two parakeets.

Maggie
Old 08-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #4571
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hello Maggie,
The oil should be checked when the engine is cold or at least has been shut off for 15 or 20 minutes. It takes a while for the oil in the upper portions of the engine to reach the oil pan where the dip stick does its measuring. If you read the dip stick when the engine was hot, it would most likely be where you observed and that is ok. Try again on a cold engine. If it reads "min", it would be a good idea to have a qualified garage top it up. Another opportunity for a learning experience.
Jim
Old 08-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #4572
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Jim.

The engine was stone cold, as I checked it in the morning and it hadn't been driven in 3 days.

If there wasn't enough oil put in there a week ago when I had it changed at the MB dealership, that would be very, very disappointing.

I was on a very slight incline in a driveway...but, should it be at the "maximum" line?

If so, I need more oil, and to call that service department.

Maggie

On edit: re-reading owners manual, engine should have been up to operating temp and then off 5 minutes or so before checking the oil, and I did not do that. Next time.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #4573
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Hi Maggie.

Another busy summer for you. That is good.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:24 AM   #4574
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Congratulations! Now you can check the oil. Good for you.

A year or so ago, I found the oil in my truck was at the minimum line soon after an oil change. After it happened two or three times, I talked to my mechanic about checking for leaks. None were found, but they did admit they'd been adding the amount of oil it said in "the book" rather than re-checking the dipstick after the engine had been run and the filter was full. They started using an extra quart and the problem went away.

Next challenge is pretty easy on most vehicles. Learn to check the brake fluid.

Enjoy your stay at the cabin. It sounds beautiful there.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:49 AM   #4575
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi FaN, and good to hear from you!

It has been a full summer, with some new experiences, that it has....and I'm working on something for next year, but won't know for a bit yet whether it will be able to come to fruition.

It was 47 degrees when I got up this morning, and so the furnace is supplying a bit of needed heat...going to get some firewood inside after a bit, and take a few pictures once the fog has burned off.

A cute little place, with knotty Pine throughout and a stone fireplace in the living room...not luxury accommodations, but that's not me nor what I was looking for.

The kitchen is fully equipped, and I plan on doing some cooking while I'm here....also have pulled my laptop out to work on some things, and get my news pages back up.

I'll check the oil again, Mimi.

Maggie
Old 08-27-2017, 06:20 AM   #4576
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
While you have the hood open, look for a brake fluid reservoir. They're usually translucent plastic so you can see the fluid level right through the container--markings on the side to tell you when it's low. Easy peasy.

Meanwhile, keep checking the oil regularly. One of these days we'll teach you how to open a new bottle of clean oil and pour it in. Next time a dealer changes your oil, ask what kind they've put in, and make note of it. Someday, you might need some, and there are more auto supply stores than there are MB dealers.

Meanwhile, enjoy the cool weather. We're having a bit of cool here, thanks to the carnage on the coast. The first hurricane is usually what breaks the summer heat here in North Texas. We pray for those on the coast, but when it's been really hot, we sometimes get tempted to wish for a hurricane. No one should wish for one this bad.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #4577
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Good morning Maggie
When checking your oil it should the oil level should be between min and max. The diesel oil is a different blend than for gasoline motors and I've only found it in larger containers at auto parts stores. If you overfill the oil crankcase you will get a message below the speedometer and a frequent sound reminder to look at the computer message. If that occurs, have a technician remove some oil as overfilling can cause damage to your engine. Glad you're becoming more versed in your traveling home. Ed and Jan

AEW
Old 08-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #4578
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Ed...I'm going to do some exploring in a couple of days, and will check the oil while I am parked somewhere level.

DD texted me that Lenny was looking for Lily and I this morning.

He is really going to miss having her around to play with.

This is the fireplace in my cottage...hoping to get a chance to use it while we are here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5315.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	293360