Old 07-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #435
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
I have to go get my US atlas from the van so I can follow this... I'm not familiar with that area of the country.. I have read a lot about Lewis & Clark... when you're on their route and know what they had to accomplish at times... simply amazing!!!
keep having fun!!!! hugs and love to you two there... gail

Old 07-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #436
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gail!

Great to hear from you.

Our mutual friend promised a photo post of the wedding....still waiting and looking, but I'm sure they are crazy busy right now.

Take care.

Maggie

Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #437
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Lewis & Clark expedition was an amazing adventure. That kind of exploration makes our little travels seem so trivial.

Am going to adjust my route a bit to go thru Dodge City, KS. Doug and I were thru there a number of years ago......cattle yards as far as you can see, just what you would expect in Dodge City.

I just want to see it again.

There are also some tall prairie preserves....going to get a photo of the Interstate in one....my own, modern covered wagon.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #438
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is a really lovely campground....Couer Dalene on Melvern Reservoir. $8.50/night with the Golden Age Passport.

Yes, I know I'm not level, but was getting over as far into shade as I could yesterday.

The areas not in campsites are allowed to grow naturally...prairie, I would guess it is called....lots of wildflowers, and I saw a beautiful goldfinch early this morning.

I am going to take the empty site just down the hill from me for Friday night...plenty of shade, and there is a wonderful breeze here, so we will be fine without electric...then head out to spend the 4th in Emporia, doing laundry and seeing what festivities are going on there for the holiday.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	242019  
Old 07-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #439
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Capitol One Venture gets 5 Stars. *****

My replacement card was delivered by FedEx about 30 minutes ago...directly to my site....because the office old guard would not take responsibility for it.

People are such a stitch. At least they told FedEx my site number....now, why couldn't they just do that for anyone who needed something delivered??

The camp host here told me they are not allowed to get mail, medications, packages, nothing, ever, delivered to the administration office.

They are here for months. WTH??

Sometimes you just run across a place operating like a little fiefdom.

At any rate, about 32 hours after I spoke with Capitol One yesterday morning, a new card was in my hands. Can't beat that.

I am very happy with Capitol One. Good job!

Maggie
Old 07-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #440
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Hooray for Capital One.

Good thing they (campground) didn't have a rule about not accepting mail AND not letting the Fed Ex guy in.

Sometimes when they (we) want to dig our heals in we certainly lose sight of the problem solving side of customer service.

Can they imagine the glowing review they could have gotten on TripAdvisor and RVReview if they had gone out of their way to be helpful.

Bottom line you got great service from Cap1 and a new card for the Nigerian cafe dweller to hack. ( No offense intended toward Nigerians just Cafe Hackers)

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #441
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, and they had been told to accept it, which is interesting.

I guess if it had come in the mail, they would have had no choice.

I don't care, they have to live with their petty, shallow selves....I have my replacement card, the only credit card I carry, so I can continue on, unimpeded and unhindered.

The supervisor did the right thing, and should do so in the future.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #442
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Not accepting mail etc. While in Hawaii my wife and I found a Credit Card on the road, new one. Called the 800 number and they said take it to a police station. Officer there told me, never bring a found card to the police; we have to take your personal information etc and then we find the owner of the card and often they dispute charges and say the finder of the card used their card. So, the police officer and I talked for a long time about motorcycles etc and he said "lay the card down on the counter, turn around and leave". I cleaned my prints off, he laughed, dropped the card and left.

Campground refusal although disappointing does not surprise me, one person probably did sue them and that was it. Good job Cap One.

Get some RFID sleeves for your cards. Ours has been "hacked" three times in the last year.

Have a great trip

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:29 PM   #443
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Bud.

Given that it's not really a "policy", to accept no mail, packages, etc., here, for even their campground hosts, I suspect this man is just your basic crumudgeon.

This card has a chip in it, supposed to protect some from hacking. The fraud guy I spoke with yesterday said hackers mine for numbers, or something like that. He said their next step, if Capitol One had not put the pox on it and closed the card, would have been to create a duplicate card.

Make a better mousetrap, and the mice get smarter.

I've thought about those sleeves, haven't picked one up yet, but I should.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #444
Rivet Master

Kudos to Cap 1! Maggie, I'm glad they took care of you. I recently aquired a Cap 1 card myself, and signed up for fraud alerts right away. They have notified me of charges that I have made, (exceeding the alert amt $). I intentionally set the amts low, as I've been told crooks may make very small amt $ purchases to test, prior to slamming big charges on cards. Good to know some companies do take customer service seriously.
I agree, as hard as we work to accumulate a bit of financial comfort...the crooks get smarter at trying to take it away. I do use the RFID sleeves, and can assume they provide some protection.
Following advice from friends, I obtained an extra credit card to keep in reserve, separately from the card that I use...along with some cash reserve...just in case of theft or loss. Stories of friends who were left without c cards, cash, I.D., driver license, keys, passports, etc....when lost or stolen, spurred me to take such precautions recently. Best safe than sorry.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #445
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good ideas.

I do have some back up, so would not be left without anything while awaiting a card replacement.

Watching the situation in Greece carefully....doesn't sound like tourists are having any significant difficulty.

My daughter asked me this morning was I still going....ummm, yes.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #446
Rivet Master

Maggie, when is trip to Greece planned? Going alone, or have travel companion, (I hope)? Sounds like an interesting time to go? You may be braver than I!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #447
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Going the end of September, be in Athens 10 days or so.

A longtime friend may go with me, but I have nothing affirmative from her yet.

If not, I will be going by myself, but have small group things scheduled about half the days I will be there....a cooking class, a couple of day tours, etc.

I cashed out frequent flier miles, which paid for most of the trip.

I'm not getting any younger, and there is still Italy and Spain.

So, I'm going.

Maggie
Old 07-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #448
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hi Gail!

Great to hear from you.

Our mutual friend promised a photo post of the wedding....still waiting and looking, but I'm sure they are crazy busy right now.

Take care.

Maggie
Hi Maggie.. I think the heat's got them!!! loving your trip.. hugs to you and Lily...

« The Argue Thread | Top | - »