Old 07-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #4453
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Your phone on a selfie stick set on video will do a reasonably good job of showing you the roof of your beloved interstate (I can't remember if it has a name) as you walk around it.

Parking next to a loading dock when a store is closed and standing on the loading dock might also work.

Grandkids on ladders with phone and video.

How about a drone video, that sounds like fun and something a tech person would get a kick out of.

Safe travels, enjoying your trip reports.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:15 AM   #4454
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Your phone on a selfie stick set on video will do a reasonably good job of showing you the roof of your beloved interstate (I can't remember if it has a name) as you walk around it.
I carry a selfie stick in my Airstream for exactly that purpose. It's also good for inspecting the underside so you don't have to crawl underneath on your back.

I bought a selfie stick that came with a Bluetooth remote control for the phone's video camera, which helps. And I mount the camera backwards in the stick, so I'm using the back-mounted camera, which has higher resolution than the camera on the screen side of the phone.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #4455
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good suggestions, folks, and thank you.

The RV place yesterday found this on my roof, and covered it with caulk until I can get it repaired....I can't bear to look at it, and barely to speak of it.

This is an antennae...the area will need to be cut out, and replaced, I am told.

No one had been on the roof in 3 years, and no, the guy who did the abysmal caulking job on the roof 7 weeks ago never mentioned this.

I'm going to have someone look at it near my daughter's when I get there next week, and get it scheduled, as it will only get worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5114.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	290529  
Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #4456
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
On a more positive note....tires are rotated and pressure checked, a bit early but it seemed the prudent thing to do.

I also now know where the brake fluid receptacle is, which was full...right there under the hood, not far from the coolant receptacle.

I can do this.

And, I am in the most beautiful site at this very nice campground...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5123.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	553.1 KB
ID:	290530  
Old 07-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #4457
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The service manager refunded me what I spent yesterday, in addition to what I paid for the roof in June....and, they're going to pay the bill to have it re-done next week.

I can't complain about that kind of resolution, but still...

Maggie
Old 07-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #4458
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Good to see them make it right but what happened to doing it right from the beginning? Sorry to hear about your roof issues and glad they are being resolved.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #4459
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep....and water was running between the walls.

I'm more upset about the rust around that antennae, tho remember the roof was looked at last year, and they told me the caulk looked good/could wait to be replaced til the following year.

I have been diligent about dealing with any rust spots that I could see, and successful at that.

Who would have thought there would be rust on the roof.

And, if the caulk hadn't been a problem, and the tiny hole in the caulked seam behind the toilet, I still wouldn't know.

I should look at the bad caulk as perhaps a blessing in disguise....

Maggie
Old 07-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #4460

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Who would have thought there would be rust on the roof.
When the hole was drilled for the antenna AFTER the body was painted, no one painted the cut edge of the hole. Painted steel has a different galvanic potential than unpainted steel, so even if there was no actual leak, galvanic corrosion could still happen just from atmospheric humidity. And unfortunately, rusted steel has a different galvanic potential than unrusted steel, so once the corrosion started, it would spread, even UNDER the paint— as you can see in the photos. As the saying goes, rust never sleeps.

Lesson to be learned, when the body shop puts in a patch plate, and they drill a new hole for the antenna in the patch plate, make sure the edges of the new hole are painted as well! There should not be a single spot of unpainted steel anywhere on the patch plate, not even on the edges.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #4461
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I also now know where the brake fluid receptacle is, which was full...right there under the hood, not far from the coolant receptacle.

I can do this.

Way to go, Maggie! You bet you can do it.

Next time bring along a paper towel and get someone to show you how to check the oil.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #4462

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Next time bring along a paper towel and get someone to show you how to check the oil.
Don't know about Maggie's T1N Interstate, but on the NCV3 Interstates like mine, you can check the oil level without ever leaving the driver's seat, by using built-in sensors and the dashboard display.

But that only tells you the level, not the condition of the oil. Won't tell you if there's water in the oil due to a leaking head gasket. Won't tell you if the oil has turned to varnish due to overheating. Won't tell you if there are metal particles suspended in the oil due to excessive wear on moving parts. Despite advances in technology, there's no substitute for doing it the old-fashioned way, with a dipstick and the Mark 1, Mod 1 Eyeball. Or in my case, the Mark 1, Mod 2 eyeball since I had my cataracts removed.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-27-2017, 04:22 AM   #4463
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for all the info, Protag...

This is keeping me awake at night, seriously....there is a hole in my roof, of which I was unaware.

The drivers side door handle is also sticking, and needs to be looked at before it breaks off in my hand, so am going to see what I can find when I drive into Worcester, MA, this morning to do labs. Sigh.

All part of the traveling experience, I tell myself... especially with a beloved older rig, that oozes memories from every single inch.

I will deal with it, and go on. It's what I do.

Maggie
Old 07-27-2017, 05:01 AM   #4464
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Sad to see such work, but becoming more and more common. NOT suggesting you do so, but it's why I am still able I do my own work whenever possible.

The hole needs to be cut out, to the rust perimeter, a piece of aluminum is what I would use riveted down, caulked well first and then caulked again and I use Sikaflex 221 adhesive and caulk. I'd make sure they caulked around the antenna re-install, the area they place the "plate" on prior to being riveted then each rivet and around and over the entire plate. It's the way I installed our Satellite antenna on our roof and so far so good, I just checked it on Saturday and everything looks good.

Good luck, sounds like you have found a good group of VT guys and I concur, have them do it now.

Bud

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 AM   #4465
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The drivers side door handle is also sticking, and needs to be looked at before it breaks off in my hand,

The door handle might be just a simple lubrication problem. Try a squirt or two of WD-40 and see what happens. That's not the best spray lube on the market, but it's probably the most common. Also, it's clean and doesn't leave behind anything that comes off on your hand or your clothes.

My older daughter was never very mechanically inclined. Her philosophy is, "If it doesn't move and it's supposed to, use WD-40. If it moves and it's not supposed to, use duct tape."
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:50 AM   #4466
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a can of Electric Wrench, too....thanks, Mimi.

Interstates are not aluminum, so I don't know what will be suggested to plate the opening with, once made, but am told I should find someone who does truck repairs, because of the height of my rig....so am going to do that when I get to my daughter's.

The shoddy work is really, really sad, you are correct, and on the roof it can't be immediately seen by someone who can't get up there themselves.

I'm going to start doing a walk around with repairs, road checks, etc., and have the service guys show me what they have checked and done. I'm a bit anal and OCD in other areas, so I know this is something I can do.

That might have caught the brake issue last year, if they had showed me...maybe would have caused them to look more closely.

The service manager told me, that after I informed him of that problem and sent him pictures of the removed parts, they changed their protocol for brake checks, so that's good...but, still, I'm not really interested in being someone else's learning experience for something like this.

You go in these places and expect things to be done correctly, also that you be advised of anything observed which needs to be taken care of.

With them removing my vent and replacing the spacer in June, how could they not have noticed what was happening around the antennae next to it.

The guy who did my roof had another serious problem with his work in the last few weeks, per the service manager, tho he is a long term employee with many years of experience.

The kindest and most compassionate explanation is that he has been very distracted for some reason, with problems at home, bills, etc., or is having a medical issue of some sort.

Others that he simply no longer cares, is very angry and/or feeling destructive for some reason, or has a substance abuse problem....

Sigh.

Maggie