Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #6361
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I was aware of that article, Peter, but thank you.

I’m glad I went when I did, as it’s going to be awhile before travel anywhere is again safe.

I have to admit, I’ve been eyeing the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and hoping for perhaps an escape to there in a month or so.

Very few cases up there, so we’ll see.

And as if we don’t have enough on our plates, the Chicago Tribune reported a little while ago that a mutation to our COVID-19 has been identified, and is widely circulating in Europe and the US.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coron...xwq-story.html

Yikes.

I have been plowing through yard work and spring cleaning at the little house, this morning finishing taking everything down and washing all the walls in the main part of the house.

After the carpet steamers did the living room area walls for me last year, I went out and bought myself one of the 18” Libman microfiber mops like they had, and this year did them myself.

It took me 5-6 hours over two mornings, and was not that difficult.

Freshens everything up nicely, and removes any residue on the walls from the wood stove.

Raining and chilly again here today...a good day for indoor chores.

We’ve had crazy weather, really, with warm days and then cold, with lows in the 30’s expected later this week...rather reflects what’s going on out there beyond my own walls.

That’s why we in central Illinois don’t generally put out bedding plants until about the middle of May...we could still have snow.

Maggie
Old 05-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #6362
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yup, we are eyeing a local CG which is an easy 2-3 day stay, if that SP opens at all. For a long time probably, folks in the higher risk groups may have to take precautions like wearing masks and gloves to "up" their chances.

Who knows how this new "full scale model" of human life is going to turn out?

As you suggest, a good time for lots of Spring cleaning!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #6363
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, it’s going to be life-altering.

I’ll be wearing a mask into stores for as long as that is recommended, don’t know that I will wear them at a campground where I can maintain 6’ from everyone, but that may change.

Maggie
Old 05-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #6364
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
A Different Life II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Yep, it’s going to be life-altering.

I’ll be wearing a mask into stores for as long as that is recommended, don’t know that I will wear them at a campground where I can maintain 6’ from everyone, but that may change.

Maggie

Hi Maggie

Real off topic. Our oldest son’s MIL has a Class B RoadTrek that she has parked in their yard snd has welcomed them to use.

The new baby Esmé will turn six months in June and they are trying to figure out what kind of replacement seat they should get for the third seat so they can buckle her car seat in for safety.

Have you traveled with very young grands in the Interstate and if so do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #6365
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Dana,

Doug and I traveled some with the grands as preschoolers, and just buckled them into the seatbelts.

We didn’t travel with infants, and I really don’t know what to recommend there.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 05-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #6366
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Hi Dana,

Doug and I traveled some with the grands as preschoolers, and just buckled them into the seatbelts.

We didn’t travel with infants, and I really don’t know what to recommend there.

Good luck,

Maggie

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:00 AM   #6367
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Happy Mother’s Day to all you mothers, step mothers, surrogate mothers, aunties and others who step up to fill a void, nurture and support as needed.

Will be going to my sons after awhile...they my bubble of limited, in person interaction, as we weather this storm that looks as if it will go on well into the foreseeable future.

My, I think, third batch of egg custard in the past few weeks is in the oven...good and good for you, I have really been enjoying this comfort food ...and when that is out I am going to bake the Sourdough Applesauce Cake I posted awhile back, to take for dinner.

Because, my sourdough starter needs to be used and then returned to the refrigerator, and the three teen grands are absolute bottomless pits at this point in their lives.

“It will be eaten”, my son assured me.

Carpet steamers have been here this week... the living room, bedroom and hallway now pristine and free of dog hair for the moment.

Always feels good to get this done to my main living areas once I am done with the woodstove for the season.

I am thinking with some longing of the Interstate, and hoping that getting out somewhere will be possible this summer.

I wouldn’t ordinarily be traveling this time of the year, but the possibility that we won’t be able to get out at all this year is difficult to digest.

HistoriCorps projects are temporarily shelved, and while I know they are working on a plan to do these safely I think it is highly possible there won’t be a 2020 “season” at all.

We’ll see.

This book was linked in Carolyn Hax’s column today, and because of her recommendation and it’s glowing reviews I promptly bought the ebook version.

It looks excellent, and it will be my next read when I have finished the current one.

Always good to hone, sharpen and fine tune one’s spidey senses, which are there to alert us to danger and push us to take appropriate action.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...ustomerReviews

Stay safe out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	566A0D1B-F6C4-4B8C-AB60-7D104CC83EC1.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	367582  
Old 05-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #6368
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Speaking of books, have you read Running With Sherman by Christopher McDougall yet? Worth borrowing if you do library ebooks.

Dana
Old 05-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #6369
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I haven’t read that, Dana, but it looks interesting.

Maggie
Old 05-10-2020, 06:16 PM   #6370
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
I haven’t read that, Dana, but it looks interesting.

Maggie

It’s a great read. The guy is a great writer and the story is both heartwarming and hilarious.

Dana
Old 05-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #6371
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have started reading “The Gift of Fear”, and it is as good as advertised.

So full of information that I will certainly re-read it, and perhaps make some notes.

It is interesting the authors relating of animal behavior... in particular when our dogs react to people our own instincts tell us we should stay away from.

The author takes the position that our dogs are reacting to our reaction to people, reading our cues that we don’t even realize we are giving off.

We are all always a work in progress.

Two quotes from last nights reading, and I could have had a dozen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B3C65A0-9182-48CB-B8B8-6644700B0249.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	367752   Click image for larger version

Name:	366E608D-C284-4F64-8EFC-2DA1F7A071BC.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	367753  

Old 05-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #6372
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Echoes of Post #6103 . . . ?

Peter

Quote:
. . .
I especially like the points about paying attention to red flags and signs from the universe.

They’re always there, along with the niggling doubts in our belly when something just doesn’t fit or feel right.
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #6373
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, tho I do believe at this point in my life that some of those niggling thoughts and warnings are the spirits of loved ones past that are trying to get our attention, for whatever reason.

I still sometimes have such clear thoughts come into my head that I don’t doubt for a second they have come from Doug.

Gavin de Becker is an adult trauma survivor, and he talks some about his experiences in this book and how they relate to others he counsels.

He has a pretty remarkable way of writing, in my opinion, that is not only interesting in its content but in delivery as in spite of the high level of information-giving the book doesn’t come off reading like research for someone’s doctoral dissertation.

Which can be informative but very dry reading.

I thought his perspective on our dogs was interesting, that they are taking their cues from us rather than making their own assessments of strangers. I suspect it is actually a combination of both.

I have thought since Lily’s close encounter with the pit mix last fall, that she may have feared that pit was going to attack me, which prompted the nip to the flank to tell her to settle down. Which started it all.

The state that dog was in, if she had attacked me and my daughter had not been at home it would have been all over but the shouting.

It is a really good book, people...some of us traveling by ourselves out there, who could be vulnerable and would benefit from well written information on keeping ourselves safe.

I would say that I have much better antennae than the average bear, tho don’t always know what I am picking up, and in spite of that still do the human thing and sometimes push to the side things I need to pay closer attention to.

Read it... it will be good for you, and may help you or someone you know.

I’ve had about enough of this whole lockdown thing, tho don’t let myself whine even internally too much.

Just because, me and mine have stayed healthy because of it, and I know it has all been for a greater good.

I will be glad, tho, when I can pack up the Interstate and spend a little time somewhere.

The woman who cuts my hair lives in a neighboring county that is mostly rural and has had very few COVID19 cases.

She texted me the other day to let me know she has quietly re-opened her little in-home salon, after being shut down nearly two months, so I went up there yesterday and got my hair cut.

3 1/2 months, it had been.

Sun is shining, tho rain is due I think we are past the cold weather.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #6374
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I thought his perspective on our dogs was interesting, that they are taking their cues from us rather than making their own assessments of strangers.

I once saw my normally very gentle and friendly dogs react aggressively towards a stranger before I even knew the guy was there. They couldn't have taken that cue from me.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #6375
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, my dogs have done the same thing.

I think dogs can and do react to our reactions, but also of course have their own.

And, thank goodness, as that’s a big part of why we have them.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2020, 11:21 PM   #6376
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yes they pick up a lot from us, but let a suspicious-acting stranger approach the front door, and all four go to DEFCON 4 despite a humane anti-bark collar (beeps and vibrates only) with full-throated barks from all four, and the big Tibetan Terrier sounding off like a dog four times his actual weight of 24 pounds.

Doesn’t take a knock or ringing the doorbell, just the quiet approach! Friends or people they know gets almost no reaction...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #6377
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I decided to buy “The Gift of Fear“ in paperback, so that I can tab pages and sections and otherwise mark it up, and in googling it up popped a Goodreads link of quotes from this book.

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quote...e-gift-of-fear

Two different grocery stores this morning, and no whole wheat flour...not one bag, of any brand.

Next time I find it, I will buy two.

Maggie
Old 05-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #6378
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A third grocery store this afternoon, not a bag of anything but all purpose white flour on the shelves.

I have never ordered flour online before, but after much deliberation I just went for it, as a surprising number of online sellers...like King Arthur Flour...are out of stock.

That may mean people are making a lot of their own bread, which is a good thing.

This place grinds their own flour, have a nice selection, are not too terribly expensive, and will ship the next day.

I bought some extra for my freezer.

https://shop.old-mill.com/

Maggie
Old 05-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #6379
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I had to buy yeast on E-Bay — none on the shelves here for weeks...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:47 PM   #6380
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois

Yeast I have plenty of, an unopened vacuum sealed one pound bag of it in my refrigerator that I picked up at an Amish grocery last year.

It has been in short supply here, too, tho WalMart had some on its shelves yesterday the Meier store I had been in first did not.

Plenty of toilet paper today, too.

What a strange time we are living in.

Maggie