Old 07-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #4397
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Got new windshield wipers, and had the coolant checked in Marquette....I was, in fact, quite low on coolant tho the lamp has not been in these last two days.

No sign of a leak, so perhaps this was missed at the last oil & filter change.

Thanks for the urging to get this checked, folks.

If this happens again, will have an MB or Dodge dealer look at it...

On another note....my friend pronounces my pretty rock "an agate with some quartz".

Maggie

Old 07-10-2017, 04:05 AM   #4398
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Good to hear - PM (Preventative Maintenance) cures many problems before they become issues or emergency roadside breakdowns.

Bud

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:26 AM   #4399
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Currently at the Munising Tourist Park...with a beautiful view of the lake, but where tents, trailers, and motorhomes of all sizes are really, really packed in here.

We stopped here to meet up with Gerard and Laura, who are doing the circle tour as their first post-retirement trip for her...and today they are married 35 years!

They are staying a few more days to see the sights, do the boats, etc., and we will head on east later this morning.

On a very positive note...the beach campground at Edisto has reopened for reservations beginning in November...closed a full year due to the hurricane ...so we have a site secured for two weeks in March, tho not the one originally selected as they have reduced length allowances in the small ones by the dunes.

Not going to complain...I'll take it.

Maggie
Old 07-10-2017, 06:08 AM   #4400
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Thanks for getting that coolant problem checked. We want you and Lily safe out there.

Be aware that is not the kind of problem that usually fixes itself with just a bit of fluid. The old coolant had to go somewhere, so keep an eye on it. Also, it's usually not part of what is done at an oil and filter change, though they should have been kind enough to check it for you.

On most modern engines, there's a plastic overflow bottle mounted somewhere near the engine with the proper coolant levels clearly marked. Please learn to check this yourself. It's a job you can do with your eyes and maybe a flashlight--no touching of horrible greasy stuff involved. The next tech who checks the coolant level for you can teach you where to look.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:22 AM   #4401
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Mimi...I really do hate touching horrible, greasy stuff, I just don't want to!

There is also no way I could get that hood open by myself.

Doesn't coolant have to be filled periodically, tho, being some used up by normal driving?

Doug had no jugs of this sitting around, so it was not something it seems that he himself did that I have neglected.

When the service guys refer to "checking fluid levels", wouldn't this be part of that?

My last service was at an MB dealership in NY in February, where this should have been looked at, and I asked for a "road check" at Cummins in June when they recaulked my roof...told them I was leaving on a long trip, and asked them to take a look at everything.

These the same folks who missed my worn brakes last year, tho after I informed the service manager and sent pictures that guy seems to be gone.

If the coolant loss has happened this trip, there is clearly a problem. I am going to watch it and have further diagnostics done if needed.

Maggie
Old 07-10-2017, 06:22 AM   #4402
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Very good advice from Mimi. Since your fluid was low I would pop the hood and check the level every day. Might save you from major repairs. Might be nothing.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:25 AM   #4403
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Jim...I'm going to talk to Gerard about it here in a bit.

Maggie
Old 07-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #4404
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gerard said what everyone else has....the coolant shouldn't be going anywhere.

I cannot get under the hood by myself, so will enlist the aid of another every couple of days to check it for awhile.

Had a lovely visit with Gerard and Laura, who are in the serious throes-of-excitement phase that comes with full retirement...and all-the-places-we-want-to-go on their to-do list.

I remember that well, and am happy for them.

We are all so fortunate to be able to do this.

He kindly pulled out his drill this morning, and we had the closet door latch I picked up on my way north a couple of weeks ago installed in about 5 minutes...would have taken me at least 20 by myself, if I'd had a drill.

No more clothes swaying causing the closet door to swing open on the road.

After picking up some smoked whiting on the drive down...everywhere up here, but I have as yet had none ....we are in a PA campground near Mackinaw for the night, where there are several Airstreams already...perhaps gathering before heading to Escanaba for the International.

Lily is having a little nap, and then we're going to take a walk.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5048.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	289157  
Old 07-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #4405
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lenny....new adoptee of D & SIl, rot/husky mix, 5 months old.

Their cat is very p.o.'d, and Lily will need to adjust...

They're going to take puppy classes, and have hired a dog walker.

This will be interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	289250  
Old 07-11-2017, 05:26 AM   #4406
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
I have one that looks and acts a lot like your Lily. Her name is Chloe. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	289252
Old 07-11-2017, 05:44 AM   #4407
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Awwww...they could be cousins.

Lily has been smelling especially rank, and I sprayed a paper towel with Febreze and wiped her down with it the other day ...small improvement, so yesterday, it being warm enough, she had a bath at a spigot near me, and is greatly improved.

I carry Herbaria's solid shampoo for dogs, in the event of a close encounter with her favorite roll-in...duck poop...so dug that out and gave her a scrub using a hose.

I usually carry that doggie waterless bath product, but can't find it...I may be so organized that I don't know where it is.

She wasn't pleased with the bath, but tolerated it because she loves her mama, and actually seemed to find it rather invigorating.

Maggie
Old 07-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #4408
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hopped on the ferry to Mackinaw Island this morning, and spent a few hours there...touristy, touristy, touristy, but had a nice walk, a frappe, and bought some delicious, just-made caramel corn.

Fun to do the ferry, Lily charmed young and old wherever we went, and is now a pooped pup who is ready for a nap.

We are in a PA campground for the night...$16 for W/E, cable and a bathhouse..

Warm enough that we have turned on the AC, and are going to enjoy some tv til tomorrow....I have not seen the news since I left home.

This is day four of driving, albeit not for great distances, and I am starting to yearn for some "being still".

Maggie
Old 07-12-2017, 04:19 AM   #4409
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Maggie: When Lily and Lenny meet a suggestion is have them do so in "neutral" territory. Would be ideal if you could do so in a little used parking lot or grassy area. But, for certain not in Lenny's house. Then after a close and nose to rear contact, not face to face, take them for a short walk together. Then, again ideally, when back to Lenny's house, walk them around the block or neighborhood together. Then back yard and then in the house. Everyone remaining very very calm, no matter what happens, no loud noises, no shouting no sudden movements.

I've done greetings or meet and greets this way hundreds of times between a pet and a newly adopted pet from our rescue and if it's going to work without much fuss I've found this is one way to handle the greeting.

Enjoy your trip and be safe.

Bud

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:29 AM   #4410
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a great idea, Bud, and I think we will do just that.

Lenny being a puppy will be some easier than a full grown dog, I believe....tho Lily likes other dogs to keep their distance, she seems to make some allowances for puppies.

Maggie