Old 07-07-2017, 04:40 AM   #4383
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Bud!

You'll be pleased to know that Lily is getting a little, along-with-me, bike ride almost every day. She loves them.

We even passed the other day another dog that was loose, and had been playing in the water, and she never diverted from her trot at my side.

Such a good girl.

The campground has mostly filled for the upcoming weekend, and I am so impressed with the steady stream of singles, and singles with children, who are on the lakeshore in tents...men and women, young and old, enjoying this beautiful spot.

It has been a very, very restful and relaxing stay here, but I'm looking forward to moving on tomorrow.

Hopefully will be able to meet up with Gerard and Laura in the next week or so, as I head east and they west along the UP.

The "low coolant" lamp is lit on my dashboard, so high on the to-do list is an Auto Zone, or some such place...I also need new windshield wipers.

Maggie

Old 07-07-2017, 04:59 AM   #4384
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Low Coolant can mean a leak. The coolant shouldn't be low unless it finds a way to get out.

Ask someone to have a look-around while you're getting the radiator refilled. Might be as simple as tightening a clamp or replacing a rubber hose. Get it taken care of early while the problem is small.

Enjoy the lake and the cool weather for me. It looks like I'll be here for the summer, supervising builders. I looked at the "site preparation" for my house and hangar yesterday, and am having them do it over. Looks like I'll have to stay close and on top of this for a while.

mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:20 AM   #4385
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Mimi.

I think that staying on top of your build is critical, and hope it all goes well so you can be settled in before winter.

I'm going to look under my hood this morning...

I have the owners manual out, and the picture showing me where this is...anything obvious even I should be able to see, right?

Sigh. Some things I simply don't want to learn.

Maggie
Old 07-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #4386
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I emptied my tanks this morning, then filled to the brim with fresh water....because, when I get up in the morning I'm going to want to go...then took a little drive around this Peninsula...where there are many houses for sale...because I noticed my low coolant lamp did not come back on, so maybe it is nothing.

I will keep an eye on it.

The morning started out calm and clear, but by late morning we had rain, now clear and sunny again and more tenters have settled in on the lakeshore....we all sit and watch the water.

As it was starting to rain this morning, I was deep in conversation with a woman in a Safari in the other area...she walking her dog, admiring my rig, talking about things Jewish, which she is... so I shared my Ashkenazi ancestry, and deep interest in books of the Holocaust.

She, too, who has known ancestors, entire family systems, who perished in the camps...we've read a lot of the same books, and share the same internal agony over what these people endured.

Most of us don't know real suffering...we haven't a clue.

We'll be on the road in the morning, with a stop for laundry, windshield wipers, and a few groceries.

It has been a lovely stay here on the shores of Lake Superior.

Maggie
Old 07-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #4387
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Hi Maggie,

I am enjoying reading about your venture.

You may have a very slow leak. When it cools off enough, the coolant contracts just enough to set off the low coolant alarm. When it warms up, it clears. Your manual should show you where to check the coolant level, or someone at an Autozone or other parts place can do it for you. You may need to add a little (distilled) water.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #4388
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm, thanks Al.

I will get it checked.

Tell Missy hello, and hope you two are someplace cool.

Maggie
Old 07-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #4389
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Unfortunately, we are stuck at home, and it is not cool here. The out-of-control remodeling project formerly known as the exterior paint job is continuing. We may have shared with you at Canopener the picture of the poorly attached stucco on the second floor necessitating the complete stripping of the second floor walls down to the plywood sheathing, replacing some, then re-stuccoing the entire house. That is now completed, the house is painted, and we thought we were in the home stretch, that is, until the master bath shower leak was discovered. The bathroom has been demolished down to the studs in all wet areas, now we discover that the tub is leaking as well. Next weeks job is to cut a hole in the garage ceiling under the tub and find and fix the leak so the bathroom remodel can proceed.

Once that is done, we HOPE to be close to completion. A few minor details to close up and then maybe we can get out to NC for some cooler weather.

I think I have figured out where you are. We are hoping to do a northern and western loop next year, so maybe we will get to do the UP area.

See you at Alumalina? if not before.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #4390
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry to hear that house issues are keeping you at home, Al, and hope they get resolved quickly so you can go North!

A little elevation will cool you right off, and you would love it up here...probably at least 20 degrees cooler than where you are right now.

I am at the city park campground in Herbster, Wisconsin....neat and tidy, but otherwise unremarkable except that it is right on Lake Superior.

Lake Superior... the most beautiful of all lakes, in our opinion.

Take care, Al.

Maggie
Old 07-08-2017, 04:36 AM   #4391
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Maggie:

Great to hear of Lily and "her" bike rides. They sound like they have become her "job" and after meeting her I am confident when she thinks of something as her job it would be hard to divert her attention from the task at hand. Good work, enjoy. The coolent light could also be an additive sensor which I believe is put in all diesels to prevent corrosion. I got the light and a warning on our F350 and it can only be checked by checking the PH of the coolent. OR as some have advised it could be a slow drip OR a faulty sensor. A quick stop would be advisable at some point to avoid something worse while en-route.

Bud

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:24 AM   #4392
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I agree with Bud that you should get the coolant level checked, at the very least. Small leaks are usually easy to fix, but if neglected they don't stay small. Once they become big leaks, you're stuck on the side of the road, possibly needing very expensive engine repairs.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #4393
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm going to get it checked, I promise.

Maggie
Old 07-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #4394
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We were coffee'd, walked, unhooked and on the road by 7:15 or so this morning...a stop at the Post Office in Cornucopia to mail postcards to the grands, and a wave bye-bye to Ehlers and the nice little coffee shop there.

Laundry in Washburn before heading east, a stop at WalMart, a second post office stop during business hours to mail my niece's blankie off, and a fruitless search for a car wash with a truck bay.

Until....I stumbled upon a fundraising car wash at the firehouse in Wakefield, for the summer baseball team made up of neighboring towns, if I recall correctly.

Neither town having enough teen boys for a team by themselves, combining the two gives 15.

I loved it, and those boys were having a blast using fire hoses (carefully) on vehicles...I apparently just missed a water fight, in between vehicles.

They did a great job, scrubbed off the bugs and dirt, and a donation to a worthy cause got us back on the road.

We are settled into a small city campground for the night, where W/E, a bathhouse and dump station can be had for the bargain price of $10.

Laundry and other purchases put away, cargo and rear doors open for the beautiful breeze....it's about time for a glass of wine.

If you've never been to the UP, it is beautiful, tho surprisingly remote and sparsely populated, for its location in the center of this country...broad expanses of trees and meadows, many bodies of water of varying sorts, and the feeling of being far, far from the maddening crowd.

I found this rock on the lakeshore yesterday, about the size of a walnut, and have sent the pic to my rockhound friend to see if it's an agate....she wanted to see it wet, because that's how you can best tell, she says.

Have picked up two heart shaped stones, too.....like roses, I see hearts everywhere in recent years.

I know that if Doug could communicate from beyond the grave, he absolutely would, to all of us that he left behind...and I believe that he does.

I choose to believe that, yes I do, because it comforts me and makes me feel loved...I see signs of him/us, I smile to myself, it is good, he is supporting me, and it is okay.

Whatever gets one thru the night, is what I say....we have to go on.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5037.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	288969  
Old 07-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #4395
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie!! Love that rock!! Please share when you find out what it is... enjoying "our" time at the lake... hugs and love from here... we're having wonderful weather at the moment... continue having fun!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #4396
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail!

It was a wonderful time at the lake, and the perfect beginning to this trip.

Glad your weather is good, I have all the windows open here in middle-UP, and temps are mild.

We are the only campers here, have the place to ourselves..going to have an off leash bike ride in the morning, if this holds.

Maggie