Old 06-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #4355
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail.

I'm going to have to be very judicious in my rock gathering or I will leave here with 10 lbs.

Lake Superior rocks are so beautiful, varied in color and texture and smooth as if they'd been polished.

Everyone here is very friendly, and all but me seem to be local-ish regulars coming to a favorite place.

It has rained about 4 times since we arrived late morning...then the sun comes out, then it rains again, but supposed to be clear and 68 tomorrow.

We've had a couple of walks, and Lily has had her feet in Lake Superior.

Tomorrow we'll go for a bike ride.

Maggie

Old 06-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #4356
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It has been a beautiful and sunny day, which I have spent sitting outside ...working on my niece's blankie, and visiting with neighbors.

One a retired police lieutenant, another a microbiology professor.

We have walked, had a bike ride, and another walk on the lakeshore...where I picked up a few more beautiful rocks.

I also have a handful of wildflowers in a vase on my picnic table.

There is a young bear hanging around a nearby tent loop...about 200 lbs, they say, which doesn't seem that small to me ...but it has not ventured down here...which is good, as I doubt Lily would take that well.

A very relaxing day, watching the lake and enjoying the fresh, clear air. Lily is happy not to be driving.

It is beautiful here.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	684.2 KB
ID:	288310  

Old 06-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #4357
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have changed to this site which became vacant....closer to the lake, with a better view, and where I can hear the waves hitting the shore.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4977.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	288331  
Old 06-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #4358
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wild roses are abundant...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4983.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	288332  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #4359
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

I'm going to have to be very judicious in my rock gathering or I will leave here with 10 lbs.

I'm sure you have seen the old Lucille Ball movie 'The Long, Long Trailer'.
(Great movie)
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #4360
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Up on the north shore of Superior, near Thunder Bay, there are amethyst mines where they will (for a fee) let you go into a big rock pit and see if you can find something pretty. My kids and I did that years ago--found a few. Lots of fun.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:38 PM   #4361
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I haven't seen that movie, but have heard it is hysterical.

There have been the nicest people here, and this morning a woman a bit younger than me introduced herself and asked if I was traveling alone...yes, we're widows, I replied...me, too, she responded.

Her husband died after a protracted battle with cancer, about the time Doug did. She said she grieved for 5 years, then again when he died.

In a tent right on the lake, with her daughter and two grandchildren, they've been having a great time but she thought a rig like mine would be the way to go.

She came in and took a look around, and I shared with her some of our travels with grandchildren, using a hitch hauler for their stuff.

She's interested in upgrading.

It has been raining steadily the past few hours, but we were moved and set up in the new site before it really got going, and I have now finished the afghan for my niece....minus a few feet to finish the border.

Going to just get some more to complete it, as this most beautiful yarn will surely be turned into something else.

Listening to the rain, watching the lake, little coal-look space heater is glowing merrily and putting out occasional heat...

Maggie
Old 06-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #4362
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It rained hard yesterday, then the waves on the lake pounded the shoreline all night.

I love being so close to the water, and it is much quieter in this section of the campground, but it is not dissimilar to Edisto during and after a storm, with lots of wet fog afterward leaving dewy mist on everything...all part of the lake experience.

It has cleared up this morning, and we took a drive into Cornucopia to add a bit of very expensive diesel fuel to our tank...not available just anywhere up here...and check out Ehlers General Store, a 100+ year old mercantile in continuous operation since opening.

I didn't think I had been there before, but remembered it when I went inside, and am pretty certain this is where I bought the Lake Superior placemat map in about 2008.

Everything from soup to nuts, as such places tend to be, including Wisconsin cheese and cooked-on-site BBQ ribs for sale mid day, most days.

There is also a nice coffee shop in town, with freshly baked goodies , and the gas station/food mart also boasts a small laundromat.

Everything one needs.

Asking about 4th of July festivities in the area, Cornucopia will have the usual fireworks, on their beach, plus a fund raiser fish fry on Sunday....we will skip the fireworks, but definitely partake of the fish fry, and probably wander into Bayfield or Washburn on the 4th, where there is sure to be something going on.

I've read two books since leaving home 5 days ago.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #4363
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tents have cropped up in the lakeshore sites, and the campground is full for the holiday weekend.

Beautiful and peaceful mornings...my favorite time of day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5005.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	288556  
Old 07-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #4364
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
It's a holiday on our side of the line too. July 1 is Canada Day. Laura is now officially off work and we are heading out on Tuesday.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #4365
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yeaayyy!!!, and congratulations to Laura on retirement!

Are you headed into the UP, or is that later this year?

Maggie
Old 07-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #4366
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It has been another beautiful day here...we are walking a couple of times, plus taking a bike ride every day, building it up a bit so that I don't overtax Miss Lily.

Made a drive into Cornucopia this morning to do a week's worth of laundry...clean bedding that has no smell of damp and dog is a small luxury I really appreciate.

The gas station boasts your usual assortment of convenience store foods, coffees, free wifi and groceries, with a small laundromat off to one side.

I was there about 7:30, not the first to arrive but before a small onslaught that required wait times for washing machines. Locals and campers all use this little place, apparently, as the next closest is about 25 miles away.

Lots of families with small children out in tents here, several young couples, and one young man here by himself with an about 10-11 year old daughter.

It's nice to see, and I have passed out a few firestarters to those who were struggling getting theirs going....it's all well and good to do the boyscout routine, but sometimes one needs a small bit of help.

I can't see them struggling and frustrated, and not offer up something....it's what fellow travelers do.

Have decided to stay here thru the coming week, as why not.

It couldn't be prettier, and is so peaceful and relaxing.

Another week will get me thru all of the holiday activity and congestion, then I will start to meander east.

I'm on book #4 .....

Maggie
Old 07-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #4367
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was a chilly, but clear, morning today, and has stayed that way all day. Folks are in the water in bathing suits, lots of kayaking and canoeing also going on.

Drove into town for the big fish fry, getting there about 10 minutes after it was to "begin"...lots and lots of cars and people already in this little unincorporated town.

A line that did not move the 15 minutes or so I stood there stretched about a block, so I decided to pass on the fish for carryout ribs at Ehler's....the word is, if Ehlers doesn't have it, you don't need it, and they have a bit of just about everything...including hot ribs and roast chicken.

They were decent, and I didn't have to cook them.

I have been ridding my frig of its stuffed-full state, since I left home, so am now starting to think about cooking a bit....in particular, grilling on my new and very space efficient grill. Going to visit the IGA in Washburn on Tuesday, and find something suitable, perhaps steak...Doug would approve.

I'm happy to report that I had an email today from the owner of the Adirondacks cabin, who received none of my correspondence the past two weeks, and was asking nicely about the payment from me that was due a week ago...said emails having been sent, unbeknownst to me, to a google photo email address, which is where he sent the signed contract from.

I had no idea, but once he told me I could see it in the address I wrote to.

At any rate, we have talked on the phone, and the two week rental cottage is on, which delights me as I had been sooooo looking forward to it.

I took this picture out my window last evening...sunsets here on a clear night are pretty spectacular.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5013.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	288616  
Old 07-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #4368
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
It's nice to see, and I have passed out a few firestarters to those who were struggling getting theirs going....it's all well and good to do the boyscout routine, but sometimes one needs a small bit of help.

According to my grandson, the Boy Scouts these days are using cotton balls saturated with Vaseline. Not as pretty as your fire starters, but easy to make and easy to carry in a pocket or pack.

Enjoy the cool Superior weather for me. It's getting pretty hot here.

mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote