Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2019, 05:23 AM   #6041
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
After driving today...

Everything seems to be doing what it’s supposed to.

To me, your second picture of the battery monitor looks a little high for a battery without any sort of charger connected. However, batteries will read this way right after the charging has stopped. Let the battery "rest" a while after you drive and before you turn on anything that will draw much power from the battery. Then look at the voltage. 12.7 volts or thereabouts is a good number for a fully charged battery that has had time to stabilize and is not supporting an electrical load.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:59 AM   #6042
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Mimi.

We had just stopped for the day when I plugged the monitor in, wanting to see if the battery had fully charged while we were driving.

Maggie
Old 09-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #6043
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
You get a better read on the battery if you wait a few minutes. This is chemistry we're talking about, and it takes time to stabilize. Charger voltage can make a bad battery look good for a few minutes, but it just ain't so.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #6044
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Mimi, you are a marvel.

I found this online...

“Dr. Ian Dunbar’s Dog Bite Scale (Official Authorized Version)
An assessment of the severity of biting problems based on an objective evaluation of wound pathology

Level 1. Obnoxious or aggressive behavior but no skin-contact by teeth.

Level 2. Skin-contact by teeth but no skin-puncture. However, may be skin nicks (less than one tenth of an inch deep) and slight
bleeding caused by forward or lateral movement of teeth against skin, but no vertical punctures.

Level 3. One to four punctures from a single bite with no puncture deeper than half the length of the dog’s canine teeth. Maybe lacerations in a single direction, caused by victim pulling hand away, owner pulling dog away, or gravity (little dog jumps, bites and drops to floor).

Level 4. One to four punctures from a single bite with at least one puncture deeper than half the length of the dog’s canine teeth. May also have deep bruising around the wound (dog held on for N seconds and bore down) or lacerations in both directions (dog held on and shook its head from side to side).

Level 5. Multiple-bite incident with at least two Level 4 bites or multiple-attack incident with at least one Level 4 bite in each.

Level 6. Victim dead.

The above list concerns unpleasant behavior and so, to add perspective:

Levels 1 and 2 comprise well over 99% of dog incidents. The dog is certainly not dangerous and more likely to be fearful, rambunctious, or out of control. Wonderful prognosis. Quickly resolve the problem with basic training (control) — especiallyoodles of Classical Conditioning,numerous repetitive Retreat n' Treat, Come/Sit/Food Reward and Back- up/Approach/Food Reward sequences, progressive desensitization handling exercises, plus numerous bite-inhibition exercises and games. Hand feed only until resolved; do NOT waste potential food rewards by feeding from a bowl.

Level 3: Prognosis is fair to good, provided that you have owner compliance. However, treatment is both time-consuming and not without danger. Rigorous bite-inhibition exercises are essential.

Levels 4: The dog has insufficient bite inhibition and is very dangerous. Prognosis is poor because of the difficulty and danger of trying to teach bite inhibition to an adult hard-biting dog and because absolute owner-compliance is rare. Only work with the dog in exceptional circumstances, e.g., the owner is a dog professional and has sworn 100% compliance. Make sure the owner signs a form in triplicate stating that they understand and take full responsibility that: 1. The dog is a Level 4 biter and is likely to cause an equivalent amount of damage WHEN it bites again (which it most probably will) and should therefore, be confined to the home at all times and only allowed contact with adult owners. 2. Whenever, children or guests visit the house, the dog should be confined to a single locked- room or roofed, chain-link run with the only keys kept on a chain around the neck of each adult owner (to prevent children or guests entering the dog's confinement area.) 3. The dog is muzzled before leaving the house and only leaves the house for visits to a veterinary clinic. 4. The incidents have all been reported to the relevant authorities — animal control or police. Give the owners one copy, keep one copy for your files and give one copy to the dog's veterinarian.

Level 5 and 6: The dog is extremely dangerous and mutilates. The dog is simply not safe around people. I recommend euthanasia because the quality of life is so poor for dogs that have to live out their lives in solitary confinement.

The Association of Professional Dog Trainers
104 South Calhoun Street, Greenville, SC 29601 www.apdt.cominformation@apdt.com • 1-800-PET-DOGS”

I have also read that multiple bites constitutes an “attack”.

Maggie
Old 09-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #6045
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thank you, Mimi, you are a marvel.

I found this online...

“Dr. Ian Dunbar’s Dog Bite Scale (Official Authorized Version)
An assessment of the severity of biting problems based on an objective evaluation of wound pathology

Level 1. Obnoxious or aggressive behavior but no skin-contact by teeth.

Level 2. Skin-contact by teeth but no skin-puncture. However, may be skin nicks (less than one tenth of an inch deep) and slight
bleeding caused by forward or lateral movement of teeth against skin, but no vertical punctures.

Level 3. One to four punctures from a single bite with no puncture deeper than half the length of the dog’s canine teeth. Maybe lacerations in a single direction, caused by victim pulling hand away, owner pulling dog away, or gravity (little dog jumps, bites and drops to floor).

Level 4. One to four punctures from a single bite with at least one puncture deeper than half the length of the dog’s canine teeth. May also have deep bruising around the wound (dog held on for N seconds and bore down) or lacerations in both directions (dog held on and shook its head from side to side).

Level 5. Multiple-bite incident with at least two Level 4 bites or multiple-attack incident with at least one Level 4 bite in each.

Level 6. Victim dead.

The above list concerns unpleasant behavior and so, to add perspective:

Levels 1 and 2 comprise well over 99% of dog incidents. The dog is certainly not dangerous and more likely to be fearful, rambunctious, or out of control. Wonderful prognosis. Quickly resolve the problem with basic training (control) — especiallyoodles of Classical Conditioning,numerous repetitive Retreat n' Treat, Come/Sit/Food Reward and Back- up/Approach/Food Reward sequences, progressive desensitization handling exercises, plus numerous bite-inhibition exercises and games. Hand feed only until resolved; do NOT waste potential food rewards by feeding from a bowl.

Level 3: Prognosis is fair to good, provided that you have owner compliance. However, treatment is both time-consuming and not without danger. Rigorous bite-inhibition exercises are essential.

Levels 4: The dog has insufficient bite inhibition and is very dangerous. Prognosis is poor because of the difficulty and danger of trying to teach bite inhibition to an adult hard-biting dog and because absolute owner-compliance is rare. Only work with the dog in exceptional circumstances, e.g., the owner is a dog professional and has sworn 100% compliance. Make sure the owner signs a form in triplicate stating that they understand and take full responsibility that: 1. The dog is a Level 4 biter and is likely to cause an equivalent amount of damage WHEN it bites again (which it most probably will) and should therefore, be confined to the home at all times and only allowed contact with adult owners. 2. Whenever, children or guests visit the house, the dog should be confined to a single locked- room or roofed, chain-link run with the only keys kept on a chain around the neck of each adult owner (to prevent children or guests entering the dog's confinement area.) 3. The dog is muzzled before leaving the house and only leaves the house for visits to a veterinary clinic. 4. The incidents have all been reported to the relevant authorities — animal control or police. Give the owners one copy, keep one copy for your files and give one copy to the dog's veterinarian.

Level 5 and 6: The dog is extremely dangerous and mutilates. The dog is simply not safe around people. I recommend euthanasia because the quality of life is so poor for dogs that have to live out their lives in solitary confinement.

The Association of Professional Dog Trainers
104 South Calhoun Street, Greenville, SC 29601 www.apdt.cominformation@apdt.com • 1-800-PET-DOGS”

I have also read that multiple bites constitutes an “attack”.

Maggie
HI Maggie:

I read this post and actually have had it for sometime. We use it to show owners when we asses their dogs for rehabilitation. Your daughters dog is a 6, of which there was and continues to be no question in my mind. Plus as pointed out in the lists - most owners do not comply and work closely enough with the dog. From what you've told me, your daughter and son-in-law will not and think there is not too much of an issue. Your thinking on leaving Lily behind when visiting is a good one. But, you also need to be careful as well. I generally work with level 4, 5 and 6 most of my shelter work. We do not use bite suits, gloves or mussels, we have been bitten and we also get rabies vaccinations like dogs do but a little different from our county health department. In their defense I meet people like your D and SIL weekly, they know more than we do, don't really listen and usually in the end at some point the dog is killed but only because they don't put the work in.

Best

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #6046
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Bud.

I do hope they pay attention to the behaviorist they are meeting with, or there will inevitably be another attack on an animal or human.

I haven’t talked with them this past week...not much really to say, and we here are still on recovery mode.

Lucy’s attack on Lily had been at the forefront of my mind most of each day, and I have had a few nightmares.

We have been since Thursday in Ontario, met up with friends who live there and won’t currently come into this country.

Pit bulls apparently are required to wear muzzles out in public where they live, and that might be a thought.

Would keep man and beast safe...

Drove 7 hours today, be in Illinois tomorrow to visit sister in law et al, then home.

Maggie
Old 09-08-2019, 04:31 AM   #6047
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Maggie:

Have a safe trip, glad they are meeting with a behaviourist.

Pit's are illegal in Ontario is what I've been told except those grandfathered in after the law was passed.

Bud
Old 09-08-2019, 05:08 AM   #6048
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Bud, and for your assistance once again.

Yep, there’s a reason pit bulls have such a bad reputation, and it’s because of this unpredictable propensity for deadly attacks.

Particularly with a rescue, like Lucy, you don’t really know their behavioral or genetic history.

Some “make great pets”, but then there’s this other stuff.

My attitude toward them is now hardened against, sad to say.

Maggie
Old 09-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #6049
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Hi Maggie

If your D and SIL are absolutely honest and upfront about how and when the various attacks occurred the behaviorist will most likely give some strong and good advice. If they are not they are wasting time and money. What will probably happen is they meet the office, lots of toys etc in the room and while they talk the dog is being watched and recorded while an assistant takes notes of the entire conversation and then about a week later everything is put into a report and sent to them.

Good luck

Bud
Old 09-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #6050
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, if they’re smart they will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but...

SIL has not been home for either of the attacks, and I suspect he would feel differently about them if he had witnessed the pit in action.

Maggie
Old 09-11-2019, 05:55 AM   #6051
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are home, as of mid day yesterday.

Spent a couple of days in northern Illinois with my sister in law and her youngest grand, the only one still a minor and in a new residence they have found for themselves.

Trouble in the multi-generational home, which had once been working so well.

Doing laundry, enjoying a full sized bed and central AC.

A small leak has developed in my roof which needs professional intervention, weeds have overtaken certain areas and need tended to, etc., but it’s all good.

Such a privilege to be able to travel, always appreciate the return to the little house.

Maggie
Old 09-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #6052
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Small leak in roof is symptomatic of a bigger problem, requiring a new roof.

I’ve been in this house 34 years, the roof has been replaced only once, and so perhaps it is simply time.

I did have him take photos to show the what and why, including the leaf free gutters I’ve had installed since Doug died that are butting up and elevating the existing shingles, allowing moisture in.

An Angies List certified roofer, he will replace and correct and tidy up everything up there, including repainting the chimney surround for the wood stove.

It will be neat, tidy, and leak free for the coming winter.

I like neat and tidy.

I met a young man yesterday whose name sounded very familiar, and whose handsome face was vaguely reminiscent of a child I knew probably 35 or so years ago.

We talked, turns out he was one of a large sibling group, raised by their very devoted single father, who I and other service providers worked together to save from the system and foster care....shoring up the family, meeting some concrete needs and teaching some skills where the knowledge base was weak.

Some children you save from their parents, and some you save from the system...equally important.

He is grown, a successful businessman and seems to be doing very well. He was amazed that I remembered him, his siblings, and their dad, but of course you do.

We shook hands, chatted a bit, and it made my day.

I think I’ve mentioned that the State of Illinois was a terrible place to work, particularly if you were a principled worker and not easily swayed by the pervasive political forces.

It was, however, a tremendous opportunity to help alter the course of a child’s life, and in my most difficult times I made myself focus on that, doing the very best job I could and enlisting the help of like minded others when necessary.

Always a pleasure to meet a success story.

Maggie
Old 09-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #6053
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lucy the pit mix had her assessment on the 10th, by a group attached to K9 training for law enforcement, not surprisingly.

Daughter and SIL have committed to an owner training program, anti anxiety medication for Lucy who experiences hyperarousal, and a two week residential training for Lucy beginning in January.

Prognosis if all is complied with by parents and pup is “Fair to good”.

Sigh.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #6054
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Well it is certainly a good start and commitment on their behalf. It'll be interesting to see where it goes to. It will also be interesting to see what their perspective will be should children come into their family plan in the future.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #6055
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The write up of the behavioral analysis, all of which I am not going to post here, is very consistent with what Bud has had to say, for what it’s worth.

They exposed Lucy to different dogs and carefully noted her reactions.

It’s good they are seeing the seriousness of the situation, and purchasing expert help.

I have wished them all the best with her, and truly mean that.

Maggie
Old 09-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #6056
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
As I mentioned in our emails the “group” seems very legit and did IMO a good assessment. But, as with all K9 issues of any kind it’s up to the handler/owner. I wish your family the very best as their devotion and willingness to put in the effort and expense is not often what I see in rescue. An over whelming majority simple drop the dog off at a rescue or shelter. Best of luck

Bud
Old 09-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #6057
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Bud.

The little house has a completely new roof...6 men did it in one day.

“A small job”, compared to many, per Dan Fasking, the owner of Clear Choice Roofing.

It looks gorgeous, replete with all new vents in black and the two existing chimneys painted black to match, and new fascia on the north and south sides.

Just in time for rain today, and winter just around the corner.

We have been cleaning and weeding and tidying, the usual just-home tasks, and going to my sons for dinner tonight.

My great niece is having major surgery in Chicago in a couple of weeks, the reason we have cut our travels short this fall, and I have finished a shawl for her to keep her comfy as she convalesces...purple being her favorite color, and this particular shade of deep, eggplant-y purple my all time favorite.

Just about the same color as my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	469B82B2-7897-450A-909A-E92B344EDF57.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	352193  
Old 09-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #6058
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In the Washington Post today...there is now hospice for our pets, as well as veterinary social workers.

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/life...758_story.html

Talking with my mail lady today, who has just returned from a trip to Rome and wanted to know about my trip, she knows a man whose daughter was killed by their pit bull.

The young man here yesterday to give an estimate on cleaning my air ducts and dryer vent...my son has been nagging me to get this done ...has two pit bulls at home, who go into a separate room and behind a closed door when anyone comes to the house.

Everyone seems to have a pit bull story.

Maggie
Old 09-18-2019, 06:04 AM   #6059
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Woodburn , Kentucky
Look what you did!

Good morning Maggie! I wanted to share this photo with you and thank you for your inspiration.

My dear husband, i.e. The Cowboy, and I are serving this week with HistoriCorps outside of Ft. Collins Colorado at the Soderberg Ranch site. Inspired by your writings, I reached out to them when we began planning a trip this way.

My Cowboy enjoys being productive and we both enjoy giving back...so this has been a great addition to our travels. Thank you for sharing your adventures!

Dennis and Kendran are our leaders and send their happy regards!

Enjoy your days in the little house 🏡 Gentle hugs to Lily as she recovers. Well, as you both do. Blessings! Donna
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B6F707DB-C816-4A94-863B-ED26A83A705C.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	352418  
GratefulGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:51 AM   #6060
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yeeaaayyy!

Thanks for sharing, Donna!

I have found HistoriCorps to be a really, really good organization...all of their priorities in the right places.

I tell soooo many people about them, including the impressive fellow who owned the roofing company from last week.

He and his wife have an RV, he had to tour mine on his first visit here, and he certainly has skills that would be put to good use.

Glad you are having a good experience, and thanks for your good wishes.

We are doing fine here, Lily now on a round of doggie probiotics to settle her system after two antibiotics.

My daughter and SIL and I are still speaking, and I feel sure will get past this, tho it without question has been a stressor.

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »