Old 05-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #4229
Rivet Master

Hi Maggie. Still slightly cool this morning, but, we have promise of spring this week. I also lost my iris blooms to the snow and freeze. One bloomed, Deb took it to work, but, all the rest froze...just ready to open...darn it! Peonies seem to be a bit hardier, and though they drooped in their cages, the sun brought them back around. I have at least 20 peony plants, front and back, and will have blooms for about a month, as the sun in front blooms out those, then, the ones in backyard follows suit. Roses then takes over, followed by Lillie's, and mums. I really enjoy this continued show in my garden, as do many who walk or drive by to view the floral show. Ahhhh......spring! Love it!

I am thinking of a trip toward the fall, in order to avoid the crowds.

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #4230
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We took our fourth walk of the day yesterday out onto the trails of Apple River Canyon, and found the wild geraniums I have carefully planted and nurtured in the west bed of my house abundant in those woods...they are everywhere, and beautiful.

We no sooner got back to the Interstate, but it began to pour rain, and rained well into the evening..tho I am happy to report there are no leaks on my roof.

Burned the last of the firewood this morning, then headed home, and got here a bit ago.

We spent a good part of this getaway in rain and/or cold, but it was nonetheless wonderful to spend time with these family and very relaxing overall....can't complain about that.

It has apparently rained here every day I've been gone, and is raining as I type, so my son has not had to come over to water tender newbies...my pinks and purples happily abound.

Came upon a serious accident quite aways north of here, and there is reportedly a police standoff on Interstate 74 near the Mitsubishi Motorways exit, so am happy to have dodged unforeseen traffic events.

Maggie

Old 05-24-2017, 05:50 AM   #4231
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
We've had rain and cooler weather here for the past few days. I'd better enjoy it while I can, because summer is right around the corner.

A few of us vintage Airstream folks are getting together at Inks Lake State Park in mid June. Can't wait! Beautiful campsites and good friends with similar interests. My swimsuit is already in the trailer, in case it's hot. I can sit by the lake, or I can sit in the lake, whatever works.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #4232
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds lovely, Mimi...have a great time.

I saw this little cutie drive thru the campground the other day, grabbed the iPad and snapped a picture as it passed by...looks like two old station wagons, made into a camper? Cute, and clever.

Picking up my new left contact lens today, and am anticipating a great improvement in my vision.

Have been needing to squint to read certain road signs lately, tho everyone I have mentioned cataract surgery to tells me it is not only simple but transforming....when the time comes, I'll do it, but I ain't there yet.

The city was here yesterday to mark utilities in my yard, so time must be getting close to have the rock border installed around the house.

I can't wait.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4660.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	286152  
Old 05-24-2017, 06:55 AM   #4233
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I picked up a couple of soup bones at that meat market the other day, cooked them up and gave one to Lily....she was a very happy girl, licked every bit of the marrow out, and gnawed on it til she was exhausted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4661.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	286153  
Old 05-25-2017, 04:51 AM   #4234
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Soup bones! That's awesome. The last time I tried to buy one, the butcher told me the got all their meat in boxes these days and never saw the bones. My mom's vegetable soup recipe has languished since then. Guess I need to shop around.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:01 AM   #4235
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, they have become very hard to find, but I asked for these in a meat market, basically a butcher shop with extras...and, they had them.

The butcher offered me a piece of femur or a knuckle, so I chose the femur so she could get to the marrow.

Used to be, you could find soup bones in the beef section of any supermarket, and they could be had for mere pennies.

This guy said restaurants were doing a lot of things with bones these days, driving the price up a bit, but she really enjoyed them so who cares.

Maggie
Old 05-25-2017, 05:08 AM   #4236
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Time was when we used them to make our own beef stock for soup. Now someone thinks we're supposed to be satisfied with stock that comes in cans or boxes. Bah! Humbug!
Old 05-25-2017, 05:16 AM   #4237
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I did that, Mimi.....a big soup bone, a little beef, lots of barley and veggies...then the bone went to the dog and the pot of soup fed my family several times.

I have a recipe I used to make often, where the first ingredient was "one neck of elk" , for which I substituted beef bones...used all the usual veggies, plus tomatoes and shredded cabbage.

It was delicious.

Maggie
Old 05-25-2017, 05:21 AM   #4238
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The soup was good in those days!

Once I get moved, I'll start shopping around the butcher shops until I find one that can sell me a soup bone now and then. I'll have family nearby to help eat the soup. Here, it would take me a long time to finish it by myself.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:42 AM   #4239
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Get a vacuum sealer, Mimi, and freeze individual portions.

MRE's, right there in your freezer.

Maggie
Old 05-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #4240
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
With my new and stronger left contact lens, I can now see much better overall but find I need reading glasses for everything, even my IPad. Ahh well.

Looking at my now empty dining area, and thinking about what to do with it, I've decided to forego any kind of dining table for a small coffee table under the two big windows there.

I like all the light and the good view of the back yard, now that the big table is gone, and I find no rule anywhere that one must have a dining table.

Other ways to eat a meal when there is company.

Going to move my small roll top desk from the back bedroom into there, and also the soft chair that has lived back there for probably 20 years.

The chair can go into the corner, near the coffee table that will be under the windows, where I can then sit and look at my back yard, watch it snow, read a book, drink tea, etc.

Am going to look for a nice area rug for over the tile, too, to pull everything together and warm it up a bit.

It will be an office/sitting room, rather than a dining area. A revised living space, for my revised life.

Have been working on crocheted blocks for a camping friend I will be seeing at Moraine View in a couple of weeks, who is involved with Warm Up America .... 7"x9" blocks, which then get crocheted together into blankets that are donated to homeless shelters.

http://www.warmupamerica.org/

I've used up a lot of odds and ends of skeins, and will have a nice pile for her to take wherever they all go to be assembled....a nice break for my hands from prayer shawls, and before starting to turn cottons into dishcloths and pot holders for the warm weather.

Where would I be without my crochet....I do not want to think.

We have had no rain today.

Maggie
Old 05-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #4241
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Great idea. I used to have a vacuum sealer, but it got to where I couldn't get bags for it. Hopefully, they have them more standardized these days. I'll put that on my "to get" list for the new house.

Great news! The POA committee approved my house and hangar plans today. I'll have a building permit as soon as I pay the fee (most of which I'll get back in the end).
Old 05-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #4242
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to hear, Mimi!

You're dream is fixin' to become a reality.

I order bags for my vacuum sealer online...never a problem finding them, and it is one of the best purchases I ever made.

Maggie