Old 05-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #4215
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My solar garden bird, early dawn this morning....yes, we were up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4651.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	285805  

Old 05-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #4216
Rivet Master

Good morning Maggie. I hope your weather is better than mine. Today....May 18th....heavy constant snow since about 7pm last night, and projected to continue over next 2 days. A cold and dreary day here in the lovely Rocky Mountains!

Have a safe trip.

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #4217
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Evelyn, and I do think the weather is better here.

We've had temps in the upper 80's and sunny, high of 82 today, and going to cool off just a bit but still pleasant and camping-worthy.

I'm even thinking about getting some firewood and having a campfire or two.

Mornings, perhaps, with my coffee....

Maggie
Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #4218
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Yes, they can fix vision during cataract surgery. I'm actually looking forward to it, having been very nearsighted since childhood. It'll have to wait until the moving is done, though.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #4219
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, it's pretty amazing.

He said the best thing is to do both eyes, one at a time, about a week apart.

I will put it off as long as possible, tho, as a stronger correction in the weaker eye should improve things enough that it won't be necessary.

Started raining in the night, and apparently is going to rain all day, but we needed a bit and the farmers will be happy as crops are in the fields.

My new plantings will love the rainwater, too, and keep my son from having to make too many trips over here to water.

Really, really, really looking forward to getting away for a few days.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #4220
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I'm already noticing a sensitivity to glare, and I had to struggle with the color vision test on my flight physical for the very first time in my life. I just need to do some very, very careful research to select a surgeon. I've always been very picky about my vision--it's a pilot thing, I guess. I still correct to 20/20 or better when measured against an eye chart, so I might have to wait a bit before the insurance people will pay for it.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #4221
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi girls.. I had both eyes done a few years back.. hmmmm, maybe 5 or 6??? Time does fly.. yes, a week apart.. fortunately I already had a great eye Dr so it was an easy choice... most of my friends here have had it... worth it for sure..
And we're on the road today!!! Yeah, fun!! Love and hugs from here.. sunshine for days to come!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #4222
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The furniture was carefully packed up and moved, and the little house looked quite different as we followed them out.

Have had a lovely day with my niece and sister in law, tho we had a lot of rain and wind and it is now quite chilly up here. Space heater is a-runnin'.

They have a 1 1/2 acre fenced area around their house out on the country, so LIly is in doggie heaven...in spite of a rooster and hen who also share that space, and 5 horses in the paddock nearby.

Seriously, she seems very familiar with the chickens, didn't chase them or even bark...probably her early Louisiana upbringing.

Lily is pooped, and I've been up since before 4 this morning, so we will be down early tonight.

It's been a good day.

Maggie
Old 05-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #4223
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We've spent the day chatting and visiting and catching up, and it is wonderful and amazing to see how these four generations are living and caring for each other together in this new residence.

The senior Nona, at 94, would be in a nursing home or worse if the family didn't pull together to care for her....encouraging her to eat and drink, making sure she takes her meds, uses her walker when up and about, etc. She is a lucky woman, to have a daughter and granddaughter who can and will.

Caring for her, and raising the 3 teenagers my sister in law has guardianship of is a family affair....and it is working. A balance of strengths spread out amongst three co-parents.

The matriarch of this family is my niece, a bit of a steamroller at about 37, and the primary source of income for her family. She is strong and organized and methodical, also loving, nurturing and kind.

A good woman.

Everyone is thriving and getting their needs met, and I am in awe. It's been good for all of them, and is a joy to watch.

I have been the guest who has been allowed to do nothing, while meals are prepared, wine is poured, and dishes cleared.

It's been good to be here, my favorite family branch.

Lily has not had her day naps, so is pooped again tonight, and already down for the count.

She has successfully managed the other dogs in this house these past two days, and maintained her manners unless there is food around....she is really bad around food...but, no biting nor flaying of flesh, so basic assertiveness is quite okay.

Tomorrow, off on our own for a few days...

Maggie
Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #4224
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Speaking of Lily and other dogs, with our new pup, Augie, we've taken him to a "Reactive Rover" class that was specifically designed to teach us techniques that help consistenly teach him how to be less reactive with other dogs and people as they walk by, or as he walks by them. It's been quite helpful.

Augie used to chase all rabbits with a vengeance, no matter whether he was on leash or off. It caused some pretty serious incidents where he nearly yanked my arm off and he went flying in the air when he hit the end of his leash at full speed. That has stopped completely. He stares hard at them, but no longer tries to chase them. With other dogs, he's learned how to ignore them as long as we provide the right input (encouragement and treats). He absolutely adores all people, but he's much too enthusiastic (jumping and such). As a result, we have to tell children that it's best not to pet him, because he might accidentally knock them down and then lick them all over. Learning how to properly greet people, especially small ones, is still a work in progress.

Augie's already been on one camping trip, which was quite successful, but it is clear that we cannot leave alone him in the trailer even if he's firmly crated. He's quite the opera singer for the first few minutes after he's been left alone. Sounds like he's being tortured by angry weasels. I'm sure we'd get complaints and be written up by a park ranger or two if we tried leaving him there for more than a few minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2847.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	737.8 KB
ID:	285957  

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:03 AM   #4225
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like an interesting class, Bill, and cute pup!

When I am aware in a campground of a dog that howls and carries on while it's owners are gone, I sometimes have asked them when they return if they are aware of that...often they say they are not.

Lily doesn't like to be left behind, but isn't a howler, thank goodness.

She's really done very well here, and there is a small terrier mix with whom she has almost been maternal. They just need to stay away from her food.

It's finally stopped raining up here...

Maggie
Old 05-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #4226
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are settled in at Apple River Canyon SP east of Galena for the next couple of nights, for the bargain price of $8.

There is no electricity and no showers, so inexpensive dry camping only, and 62 or over are free Monday-Thursday.

It is a beautiful park, where we have been before at least once, Lily has had a good walk and I am settled in with a glass of wine to read.

Picked up a couple of bundles of firewood to enjoy, and am going to grill tomorrow.

Signal is not good, but present, so that will do.....I like to have some signal .

All is well...

Maggie
Old 05-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #4227
Rivet Master

Good morning Maggie. Hope the weather is great for you. Our snow was vigorous and heavy, but, all has melted away and now we have gradually rising temps and daily evening rain showers. Unfortunately, my lilacs did not survive the snow and freezing temps. Sad, as they were just beginning to bloom. So, no lilac blooms this year to bring inside. Have a fun and safe trip. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #4228
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Evelyn,

Weather is not great, needed the furnace last night, but with reading/quiet/total darkness it was very conducive to sleeping well.

Was supposed to be 75 here today, but that is not going to happen. Only intermittent sun, and now a light rain, but we've had a hike down to the river and grilled a piece of sirloin so if the remainder of the day requires indoor time, that is okay.

We're here, relaxed, and staying til tomorrow.

Maggie