Old 08-31-2019, 06:02 AM   #6021
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily is much better this morning, no limp and ate up her dog food in the night.

Her wounds are clean and without swelling or inflammation, all good indicators.

We had a midnight visit from a young law enforcement officer, headlights blaring and flashlight searching what he could see inside the Interstate.

“Checking on your well-being, ma’am”, insisting I open the door to speak to him so he could visually see me and the inside.

He stood back so that he was fully illuminated, and I could clearly see he was law enforcement.

I’m sure he ran my plates, I had to recite name, rank and serial number, presumably to be sure they matched.

I was polite and cooperative, of course, as one must do with those who carry weapons and have arrest powers, whether one agrees with their purpose and methods or not.

Not a problem with us being here overnight, he said, my first thought was then why the hell wake us up in the middle of the night?

Because, of course, every once in awhile something bad happens to RV’ers and others in isolated areas...not just illness or injury, sometimes a kidnapping and assault.

Thank you, officer, for ensuring my safety and well being in the middle of the night.

Maggie

Old 08-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #6022
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Maggie

We were at Glacier this summer. We stayed at the East St Maryís KOA, which I highly recommend. Great location, well run, and great facilities.

We did a boat ride on St Maryís lake. We have never seen water so clear and still. ( we had a beautiful day). The college aged guide was great. The boat holds around 40 people so not too crowded. It was a great way to see a lot of beauty from a vantage point you canít get in a vehicle.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:35 AM   #6023
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
. . .
Not a problem with us being here overnight, he said, my first thought was then why the hell wake us up in the middle of the night?

Because, of course, every once in awhile something bad happens to RV’ers and others in isolated areas...not just illness or injury, sometimes a kidnapping and assault.

Thank you, officer, for ensuring my safety and well being in the middle of the night.

Maggie
I assume you were parked on public property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
. . .
We are tucked into a beautiful little river access area where I think we will stay til the morning...
. . .
Glad it all sorted out OK. Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:30 PM   #6024
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
I hope you never experience it again but we had a small dog we had to keep separated from other animals because of the tendency to react to a perceived threat by latching on to another dogís neck and not let go. It was dreadful to watch and we never could understand why others thought they could bring their dogs around even though we told them it was best they didnít. We werenít always home to put our foot down about the visitors. She was such a cute dog but man she could flip in a moment. We found that immediately racing to the kitchen, grabbing a full cup of water and harshly tossing the water in the dogís face would diffuse the situation. It would let go and leave the area right away. Water everywhere but further crisis adverted. Visitors quickly learned we were serious about her and stopped bringing their dogís around for pop in visits.
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #6025
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks PB and Peter.

We were on public property in a river access area, well shaded and away from the road.

Perfect for a one night stop...very quiet and lovely, left no sign we were there.

I suspect the area is a part of routine patrol, particularly at night when some could be in there and up to no good.

Thanks for that information, Paddledipper.

I hadn’t thought about water, but a nose full of it might have caused the pitt to release her jaws in order to breathe.

It all happened so quickly, we each took hold of a dog and tried to pull them apart, me then picking up the heavy rawhide and clobbering Lucy on the muzzle with it.

I’m still finding wounds on Lily...punctures from teeth on her neck and the right foreleg. She suffered multiple bites, and spots on her leg went completely thru the skin, exposing muscle and tendon.

I am certain Lily’s rather wide and decorative collar prevented Lucy from establish serious purchase on Lily’s neck. It certainly prevented the injuries from being more severe, and may have saved her life.

Minus the collar, Lucy could have ripped Lily’s throat out. She never did release her locked jaw grip, but was pulled free of Lily, chunks of black fur falling from her mouth.

I don’t understand why the incident with the older dog in the home a couple of months ago wasn’t relayed to me...or didn’t prompt them to seek help... but they seem very protective and defensive of their “child”, and (inappropriately, IMO) to blame Lucy’s victims for somehow precipitating potentially deadly attacks.

If they can prevent any precipitous behavior by man or beast, they can prevent incidents, they seem to think, but the issue of course is the pitt’s use of deadly force via powerful jaws locked on the throat.

I feel like I failed Lily, which I really did, by not making sure some remediation of Lucy’s issues had taken place before bringing Lily back into the house.

When we were there last year, I was concerned that Lucy “corrected” what she saw as Lily’s misbehavior by biting hard enough to draw blood.

Lucy was reported to be doing well, and seemed so much calmer, wearing the shock collar, etc., etc., but it was probably an inevitable issue, just a matter of time.

And Lily did not want to go into the house, which I should have paid attention to.

Now at 2 1/2 years of age or so, without remediation she has predictably escalated her corrections in severity, going for the neck and refusing to release her grip.

Now at least twice, and then there’s the small animals being killed in the back yard, which also concerns me.

They have reached a behaviorist, and promise to follow thru, but I won’t take Lily back in there again. Period.

Maggie
Old 09-01-2019, 10:05 AM   #6026
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Tell them to get rid of the dog!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #6027
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Sad to say . . . but there is a hearty concurrence here, with that advice.

[ . . . before a real full-on tragedy happens . . . difficult to "un-ring" those genetic bells, don't ya know . . . ]
Old 09-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #6028
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
It's only a short time before the dog goes for a stranger and let's hope it's NOT A KID. Kids want to play and the dog might not "take it that way".
MJ
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #6029
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Getting rid of Lucy can’t possibly be a decision I try to impose on them, tho I have told them they need to consult with a behaviorist (as Bud recommended), and follow that persons instructions.

They have found someone, tho I don’t know that I will be privy to that persons recommendations I only hope my daughter and SIL are honest with him/her about what has been happening and then compliant with recommendations.

I will never trust this dog around mine again, tho, regardless, and feel this incident has permanently colored any neutral notions I had about pit bulls.

They love Lucy, of course, and all we dog people understand that.

Can she be safely managed, that is the question, and not mine to answer.

They can’t and don’t take her to the dog parks, nor is she around other dogs than those in the home, tho people come to the door and of course into the home.

I have tried to articulate the risk as I see it...a powerful dog who does not have control of herself and who they can not control, getting older and more fully developing her personality and dominant traits.

They have to see it, and he is law enforcement so of course wants a dog who will aggressively protect those he loves.

Maggie
Old 09-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #6030
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Not to be a pain here . . . but hoping you have pointed this out to them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
One factor, about which any dog owner should be aware, is that homeowner's insurance may not cover damages caused by a dog with known violent tendencies. Don't want to say more, but . . . food for thought IMO.

[Post #6005]

Playing with matches . . . IMO.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #6031
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Maggie

Spotted your travels put you near Glacier NP, correct?

If your route includes Polson MT South of Flathead Lake see if the Museum of America catches your interest.

http://miracleofamericamuseum.org/

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:33 PM   #6032
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glacier next summer with the grands, Gary, a GREAT ADVENTURE by train.

Thanks for the museum link, and we will keep that in mind.

As with all things travel, and even not travel, what we do will depend somewhat on the weather.

Always good to have indoor activity options.

Maggie
Old 09-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #6033
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I visited it with my Uncle years ago, a unique collection the info I saw online doesn't do it justice.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #6034
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toledo , Ohio
Maggie I am so sorry about what you just went through and will be for abit.
My Wife and I are dog lovers, have been all our lives, raised our 2 children with our loved Newfoundlands(4), Labs (2) and now down to a Terrier mix with Lab and a Lab. These dogs traveled with us and we only warned any kids parents that wanted to pet our "Black Bears"that the kid might get drooled on or knocked over but bites were not worried about BUT we knew all was possible. It never happened Thank God!
Two weeks ago my wife was mowing our yard and turned to start a new row when the neighbor's behind us Pit Bull LUNGED onto MY fence to grab her just below the bra strap. We never knew they had a PB because it was just brought into their home that day by their Son traveling through.

Long story we are friends with neighbors but I called the Law and neighbor was not happy but I DON'T CARE! Law said "Dog didn't come into my yard", I said if dog got on fence, crossed imaginary line into my yard and went back, it crossed the line. They FINALLY agreed and went to talk with neighbors.
Neighbor apologized, dog was put in quarantine, Wife I took to ER for update of tetanus and a new 7' high fence was erected following day. They sent flowers to wife and I went to talk discussing that I'm not mad but disappointed in him not controlling the animal. I told his son who I've know his entire life to NEVER get that dog near a child. Once they taste blood they want more.
My wife has a permanent mark of the one dog breed I will NEVER trust.
MAGGIE......PLEASE don't blame yourself.
Pic of bite...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190801_205448.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	351076   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_205132.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	351077  

1992 34' Pinnacle MH-$$$PIT-Donated
2017 186 Starcraft Boat, 150HP Evinrude G2 HO
Jakeo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #6035
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
A small biting dog can be handled, a 90 pounder is a time bomb! Neither one is needed.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #6036
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yikes, Jakeo62.

I am not much for watching YouTube videos, but in my googling this issue I came across an incident caught on a home security camera.

A small dog sniffing grass in front of its own house, pit bull being walked by which just suddenly grabbed the little dog by the back of the neck and shook it to death.

Took a few seconds, start to finish.

I blame myself for not following thru on my own concerns from last year, when I knew enough to be alarmed.

I should have reached out to Bud, or even my own veterinarian, to get input on exposing Lily to this dog.

I also should have recognized Lilyís growls to Lucy that afternoon as warnings that she would predictably try to intervene, which she did by nipping Lucyís flank.

She did not bite Lucy, but issued a correction to what she perceived as threatening behavior.

They see Lucy as being provoked, and Lily picking a fight she couldnít win.

They donít understand they cannot try to anticipate and prevent everything their dog might perceive as provocation, nor do they get the issue with Lucyís disproportionate response and the general risk she therefore poses.

This type of behavior out of Lucy is exactly why the criminal element is increasingly adding dogs to their repertoire of defenses...pit bulls and breeds of a similar ilk, intentionally not socialized so they can be quickly weaponized against intruders.

Lily is doing well, tolerating the twice daily administration of antibiotics and anti inflammatories.

Maggie
Old 09-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #6037
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My little battery monitor arrived at my daughters last week, and I plugged it in this morning after about 18 hours off grid, as we have been each of the last three days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1CC883FF-C950-46DD-A303-9AB9E825816A.jpg
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	351097  
Old 09-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #6038
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A positive thing about the past few days has been poking around the rolling hills of upstate NewYork, through quaint little towns settled in the 1700’s, with beautiful old homes, mills and other historic structures.

Heading eastish to meet up with friends later this week, I needed a proper meal and watched for a roadside diner...and, I found one.

Two meals for me, for the price of one.

Yum!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	37168EF2-E4B0-4B0E-82FF-2EE5BF86A133.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	351127  
Old 09-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #6039
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Wow looks good.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #6040
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After driving today...

Everything seems to be doing what itís supposed to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F01972A8-206B-44C8-B1D5-431F3B84D74F.jpg
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	351133