Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #4159
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tho I love my woodstove, one of its challenges is that it is a rather dirty way to heat....not filthy, but certainly dirtier than would be with a traditional furnace and filter.

Part of the price I pay for having it, and things I like to look at hanging near it , is that they must be thoroughly cleaned at least once a year....it should happen more often, and occasionally in between a dust rag hits them, but generally it's just an annual thing.

By the end of a year, as much as I use the woodstove, they really need it.

You may not be able to tell, but all the things you see here have been removed this morning, washed, the wall washed , and them then returned to their proper place.

Carefully on a step stool this morning, I'm thinking it one day will be time to have one of the grands do this for me....my son's middle child (12) is one of those who does everything in high gear, accomplishing twice or three times what the others do when the three of them are set together to a task.

This child loves to ride his bike, climb those climbing walls all the way to the top, to run (tried out for track this spring) as well as mow the yard and run the vacuum cleaner.

He's physical. Him I will ask to help me with such things when I can no longer do them.

I need to apply a coat of paint to the woodstove yet, then this part of the house is done.

The sun is shining, temps are moderate, we have a good breeze, and that will be the holding pattern for several days, so I hope to get the dozen bags of cedar mulch stacked on my front porch down over the weekend.

It was on sale, so I got it in the rain last week, then hauled them all from the car and stacked them there all by myself.

What a difference three years have made.

I vividly remember that first spring, when I got it all done but sorely lacked any real enthusiasm. Things just had to be taken care of, and there was suddenly only me to do them.

Disaster strikes, you get up, and you keep on going....and eventually you can do (most) things without tears in your eyes.

Life.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4596.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	284795  

Old 05-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #4160
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie!! I love getting glimpses into you cute little home... hugs and love from out here... and it's sunny right now!!!wowowow!!!

Old 05-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #4161
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sunshine is good.

Maggie
Old 05-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #4162
Rivet Master

Good morning Maggie. We've had the most unusual"spring?" In all the years I've lived here, I don't remember one like this year! Last week we had 9" of snow and below freezing (22*) and this weekend we're looking at 80 & 82*. My poor peonies are taking a beating, but, seem to have a will to survive. We need the moisture....snow or rain. Have a great day.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #4163
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Evelyn, and wow!

Our temps have been back and forth, but not even close to freezing for weeks now, so hopefully we are out of the woods, temps-wise.

Hope it warms up there for you soon.

Some tender annuals never go into the ground here until mid-May, because freeze has been known to happen, but I think we are safe for this year.

I am getting mulch down today, and put a few lilies into my south side bed, where the lilacs are. There is an empty spot there, still, on the SW corner of the house, where I am going to put in one of those perennial grasses that gets to be 6' or so...but not for a couple of weeks, as my nursery does not yet have them.

They were telling me this morning that they will soon have some native prairie grasses to sell, and I really like the thought of putting a few of those in.

Been looking for a good way to hide my gas meter, also on the south side, and that might just be it.

The south side remains a work in progress, but I enjoy doing a few more yard things every year....mostly perennials. Have a spot on the north side of my shed in the back yard that I think would be perfect for shade loving wildflowers of some sort.

Maggie
Old 05-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #4164
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A couple of hours of moderate outdoor labor this morning, and then cooked a piece of boneless sirloin and these boneless chicken thighs on my new Son of Hibachi portable charcoal grill which arrived earlier in the week.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have grilled since Doug died, and not once that I recall while traveling.

He was the grill master, and there was a ritual to it that we enjoyed together...solo me just couldn't get into it.

I have been looking at this little baby for a couple of weeks, thinking about it and doing some reading...then pulled the trigger.

Grilling while traveling will encourage me to sit outside ...still very difficult when I am by myself...and allow an expansion of my on-the-road diet.

I'll post a picture of its compact set up next...perfect for the Interstate, where it will tuck nicely behind the driver's seat.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4601.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	284959  
Old 05-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #4165
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very compact, very well made and very efficient...I like.

https://www.bbqguys.com/mr-flame/son...charcoal-grill
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #4166
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've gotten hooked on Longmire on Netflix, and will watch 2-3 episodes (or more) on my new Smart TV some evenings. ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1836037/

Strong male and female characters, and set in Absaroka County, Wyoming...lots of references to Laramie and Durant, and gorgeous scenery.

I'm in Season 3, and so far it has not deteriorated into the prolonged scenes of gratuitous violence some of these series do , and the continuous interplay between the Sheriff's Department, the Cheyenne and "the Rez" adds a very interesting element.

It's very good, and I'm really enjoying it.

Maggie
Old 05-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #4167
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I have watched the entire Longmire series and I enjoyed it. I bought the first few books to read on the plane to Portland last September, and promptly got hooked on those as well. Same characters, but not the same story line. The stories were good enough to make me forget I was riding center seat coach, and that was their purpose.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #4168
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Mimi, and that's good to hear.

I have started several series over the years, all but one (House of Cards) unfinished as the writers seemed to run out of plot and just go for violence.

It's heating up in Texas, so I hope your building is well underway.

Maggie
Old 05-08-2017, 05:18 AM   #4169
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
The series is good & so are the books. I listen to the audio books & it is great when driving. You can probably check these out from your local library. Download the app, then the book, & sinc your Bluetooth to your IPad or smartphone, & listen through your car speakers. I listen to more books now than I could read before!

Have a great day!
Jane
Old 05-08-2017, 05:34 AM   #4170
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
My building is just about to get started, not underway as yet. I have to meet a representative from the electric coop at the property a week from today to get the service started. Also will try to do the water company's start of service process at that same time.

The timing is great, because I'll get to spend Mother's Day with my daughter.

Texas weather is great this time of year. Not too hot yet, and some beautiful spring days to enjoy. I even have a nice stand of wildflowers on my land--Indian Blankets, some call them Firewheels, are prevalent this time of year. I won't mow that area until they've had time to go to seed. I need to get some pictures.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:41 AM   #4171
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have not done audio books, Jane, tho my daughter swears by them, listening to them on her commute.

I like that a different Longmire series is available in ebooks....my go to on the road, and I will watch for them.

Good to hear you are making progress, Mimi, and hope this calendar year sees you settled in to your new place.

I'm ready to get the Interstate out of storage and prep it for my mini-trip next week....it's been calling to me.

Maggie
Old 05-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #4172
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you've ever seen that commercial on TV, where the little dog is at a gate, sees its owner and is jumping frenetically and repeatedly, straight up in the air...that is Lily, when we are getting ready to go for a walk.

Seriously, straight up in the air, all four feet off the ground, over and over again. I simply cannot get ready fast enough for her.

We have had a full day.

Some errands this morning, and saw my PCP this afternoon...also started to empty and clean the antique oak dining room furniture that was my paternal grandparents...which is going to my beloved niece next weekend.

I have had that furniture for 40 years, and its only other owner was my grandparents.

My Dida, a carpenter, made the buffet and sideboard.

Raised my kids with it, helped Doug raise his, and every one of the grandchildren have been at that table at one time or another.

It's going to a good home, and I feel good about it.

Going to get the Interstate tomorrow...

Maggie