Old 04-05-2017, 06:07 AM   #4033
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Maggie, do you remember the DO dish we did at Comlara Park last summer. I did that one at this rally last year, and got back a very empty and properly cleaned Dutch oven at the end of the potluck dinner. Same thing happened the evening before when I did a cherry cobbler.

There were a lot of questions and interested observations while I was cooking. I'm not sure this group had seen much DO cooking done. It was fun, so I'm going to do it again.

mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:18 AM   #4034
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I do remember that, Mimi, and it was absolutely delicious.

I also remember how hot it was outside, and that you braved double heat to make that.

Cherry cobbler sounds good....Doug loved cherry anything.

I have made cherry and peach cobbler in my DO, also a favorite apple crisp recipe I have had and fed my family for decades.

What I feel like doing depends so much on the weather, tho, being the terribly heat intolerant person that I am.

I remember the last Alumalina I attended, spending most of that Saturday in the kitchen at the rally park, baking DO bread...in their oven ...and a huge Bun Pudding in my Calphalon skillet from leftover hot dog buns.

My offerings for the potluck, sans outdoor heat and the work of charcoal.

Enjoy, Mimi.

Maggie

Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #4035
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
Hill Country Rally

Mimi - looking forward to seeing you in a few days.
rosewoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #4036
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie.. Mimi, glad to hear you were missed by the storms...soundings like everybody's having fun, or planning some.... raining here for all the next week... we had several dry days... then it comes back... seems worse after the dry sunny days... did manage some yard stuff... ok, everyone keep have fun!! It's expected!!! Hugs and love from the still soggy Oregon coast....
Old 04-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #4037
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I doubt it's any soggier out there than here....the low areas are flooded around town, and geese in pairs are looking to nest near the pools of water.

Not good.

I had a pair of geese on my driveway, then the front porch, the other day, but they moved on because I am on a slight hill...no standing water at my house.

Also, perhaps, because I opened the door and said "shooo!!".

At Menards picking up Spring chore things, I spied this door mat and picked it up to add to the sprucing up of my front door area.

Perfect colors...the panel of the "O" a sea green, which will go nicely with my freshly painted mailbox and new house letters... very "me", and replaces the oh-so-ordinary black welcome mat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4493.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	282752  
Old 04-06-2017, 06:05 AM   #4038
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Suggestion when you use the reciprical saw is wear heavy long pants. They can kick back or push through quickly and can cause lots of damage to a leg. I actually wear the same leggings I do when using a chain saw, also glasses.

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #4039
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm...good tips, thanks.

I had thought about the glasses.

Maggie
Old 04-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #4040
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Got out into my back yard this morning and made a dent in the mess that is my "far back".

Since I had the trees trimmed a couple of years ago, all this stuff has come up, with tiny little burrs that stick like super glue to everything they touch.

I've decided I will finish back there, wearing the same top til I'm done, then throw it away. The little burrs just don't come out, I should have encased myself in plastic.

Realized that, in order to use my nifty new reciprocating saw I have to get another extension cord....I need, like, 100', to get all the way back.

Tomorrow, an early morning run to WalMart in my nifty new car, and I will be trimming and cutting and neaten-ing up.

I have been dealing the last couple of weeks with something I can't write about...something that has been going on for a number of years, that I am in and out of, the thing where I found myself seeing a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel some time back...but I was not in the same tunnel as I started, nor one I had the slightest inkling would suddenly be before me.

I think I have mentioned that switching-of-tunnels thing before.

Sometimes one comes across a true sociopath or, if you are really unlucky, an entire nest of them.

All of a sudden, there you are, up to your ------- neck. These people feel no guilt, no remorse, no shame...the things that keep people with a functioning moral compass in line...so there is no end or limit to what they are willing to do, or how low they will go. That is not good.

You work to think it thru, get up, do your part, follow the path where it leads, and do what you feel is right. You just have to trust that it will all work out as it is meant to work out.

I enlisted the aid of a powerful person to help get to an end, this person stepped up and did the right thing. I am now much closer to "end" than I was this morning...but, not there yet. I'll let you know when I reach "end" and "over".

And, in the process. more light has been shed on the deepest, darkest, foulest, most amoral and unethical snakepit you could possibly imagine.

Maybe that is part of the end game here....shining a light where light needed to be.

I so value in others honesty, genuiness and integrity. One can't really expect that from everyone, but I always seem to, and sometimes you don't see the signs and you get in really deep.

That's where I'm at today...yard work, and being enthused about getting it done, and a snake pit.

I had an early glass of Sofia Coppola this afternoon....because, I deserved it.

Maggie
Old 04-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #4041
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
You have (not mentioned it directly) brought this up before and your heart sounds heavy with what you are still dealing with.

Sometimes when dealing with bottom dwellers they will never function in the rational, logical, moral areas of life that most of us live in.

Sounds like getting professional help is a last and necessary result. Take that frustration out on the trimming tomorrow.

Good luck with your pending resolution of good over evil.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #4042
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know....none of us are perfect, but what causes some people to just step off the cliff, into the black abyss of no moral center?

It is a sobering reality that sociopaths walk among us, masquerading as normal people...and from all walks of life.

We don't want to meet them, they're just there.

Sigh.

Maggie
Old 04-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #4043
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The lesson I learned from this ------- mess...."when people show you who they are, believe them the first time".

In a position of extreme trust, and an area about which I knew little, I believed the game plan was with my best interest at the center. That was not the case.

The signs were there, but I attributed them to something else, until a critical piece of information that had been carefully withheld from me was revealed...at which point, very late in the game, all the pieces fit together, revealing a different game plan, and the irreversible damage was already done.

Practiced, smooth and very proficient in deception and duplicity, I'm certain these were skills refined and honed over decades....and that I was not the first victim.

I don't have to live in this persons skin, tho without conscience and a moral compass, they may actually be pretty comfortable.

If something doesn't feel right, it isn't...that's the moral to my story. Get out.

Today is a new day, and the sun is shining brightly. It's a sign.

Back to spring chores, cleaning and sprucing up, gratitude and thankfulness for all that is good in my life.

That's the plan for today. You do what you need to do, get up and go on.

I spray painted my mailbox yesterday, using the entire can, and it looks really nice, rather antique-ey.

Going to pick up another can to do a second coat.

I like it.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #4044
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Unfortunately one always needs to be on watch. Sad. Hope your ok.

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #4045
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am fine, thanks.

Telling this here because a) it explains a bit some recent posts and b) it may help someone else.

All is well.

Maggie
Old 04-07-2017, 07:06 AM   #4046
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Looking at rock borders online, I came across this lovely idea.

I don't have any pretty dishes I would use this way, but will watch for some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4520.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	282913