Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #5741
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Thanks!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #5742
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for that recipe again, Maggie. For this stove top bread, do you ever use the Dutch Oven dome you posted in the Cast Iron thread?

Peter

[click on orange arrow to see the full post and attached photos]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Baked goods with no oven and no charcoal!

Not as brown as in a traditional oven, but otherwise perfectly baked.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Dut...38116301&psc=1

I have a one burner butane stove I’ve only used once since Doug died, but which would be perfect for this and outdoor use.

Put the dome over your Dutch Oven, skillet, griddle, etc., and you have a convection Oven.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:32 AM   #5743
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I haven’t yet for the bread, Peter, but did make a single biscuit using the dome a couple of weeks ago, on one of the burners in the Interstate, and it came out fine.

I picked up a packet of Hungry Jack, add water, buttermilk biscuit mix, and you can make an excellent breakfast scone for one with this.

Sometimes you just want a baked good with butter and jam for breakfast...everything doesn’t need to be good for you, and I couldn’t bring myself to buy a package of refrigerated biscuits.

Even the small packages would also make more than I could or would want to eat.

The mix is perfect...dump some in a bowl, add a bit of water, stir and you have biscuit dough for one,

They do get more brown when cooking them like a griddle scone, I have found.

I intend to experiment more with the dome as I settle into my longer term beach stays over the next month or so.

I suspect using the dome for a pan bread will give a more rounded, loaf type appearance. I’ll take a picture and report back.

After much angst over the single burner butane stove referenced, that I had from the before days, I left it and my substantial supply of fuel cans for it...all from the before time...at a large campground I visited early in this trip, with a “free to a good home” sign on it.

I was more than a little afraid of it, kept telling myself I “should” use it, then decided I do not have to do all things, and gave it all away...rather than continuing to carry something around, and it’s fuel, that I am uncomfortable using.

As I approach my 70th birthday , I am finding my mindset on some things changing a bit, and friends of the same age report a similar experience.

I think this also is part of the later stage grieving process, me nearly 5 years into that.

With a long time partner, life is experienced differently. When that partner is gone, eventually we reshape many perspectives and start to make choices about the experiences we want to subject ourselves to.

To a very great extent, we can choose who and what we want to experience, and do not need to try not to die on all hills.

At least, that is my experience.

We had rain in the night, and are going to have a cool down today with lows overnight in the 30’s, so will hunker down with the microfleece today, do a bit of cleaning and perhaps a load of laundry before moving on tomorrow.

The woman in the RPod is coming down for tea after awhile...

Maggie
Old 02-13-2019, 06:32 AM   #5744
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yup, food is basically a BDS! [butter delivery system] Just yesterday I halved a fresh biscuit and fried it in a cast iron pan with plenty of butter, until brown and crisp on all sides. Plus the heresy of PB&J.

Yum.

Your further comments are well said. Like the old Sam Cooke tune . . . Change Is Gonna Come. [see OTRA II music thread]

Old 02-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #5745
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Lots of rpod owners in tin can tourists, any chance your neighbor is one?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #5746
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I doubt it, as she is just new to this and on her first trip.

I am really impressed with the layout and comfort of her rig, tho would still never want to tow anything I would love to have that dinette.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2019, 04:38 AM   #5747
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had a “town day” yesterday, with stops at Walgreens, PETCO and two different WalMarts, stocking up on supplies for myself and Miss Lily.

Then tucked under a massive tree at a WalMart for the night, before a county park a bit farther north for the weekend.

Lily looooves to go into PETCO , prancing and bouncing around, and is so good at the aisle with nose-level bins of treats...she sniffs at them and nudges them with her nose, but doesn’t try to take anything out.

Such a good girl.

She always leaves with something, but her Mama is the only one allowed to pick them up, and she knows that.

Interestingly, when I pulled under this tree, obviously many vehicles before mine had been here, ground being packed and well worn, there was a blue crate overturned near where I parked.

I went to pick it up, thinking it was basically trash, and under it was sitting a perfect bakery box of four turnovers of some sort.

Past their prime goods set out for someone who might be hungry?

I moved them both slightly away from my rig and around to the side of the tree, feeling certain they had been left intentionally, and didn’t want their proximity to me to be a deterrent for anyone retrieving them, but left the crate over the box as I found it.

I have never seen this before, or at least not noticed.

I remember the hospital at home feeding the hobos, as they were called back then, out the kitchen door at meal times. Men who “rode the rails” and knew where in any town they might get a meal.

As I cross into Georgia, I am very close to the campground where Doug was stricken, and thought about spending a night there...but I just can’t.

I was in touch early on with the good people there, who assisted with CPR, supported me, helped me, transported me and cared for Lily until my son could get there to take her home.

They have been thanked, I don’t have to have my feet back there, so I just won’t do it to myself. Period.

Then, the hospital in Brunswick where he was taken, we gathered, and he died.

Every time we come through here, a little re-living.

Life.

Maggie
Old 02-18-2019, 06:13 AM   #5748
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We took a winding, scenic drive up to and through Savannah yesterday, and on to Tybee Island, where I have a beautiful, large campsite complete with shade, a clean bathhouse, good WiFi and cable tv.

It feels like a 5-star hotel, and we are in a town on the beach.

I have kept up with daily events via my news pages, but national news morning and evening are a ritual at home that I will enjoy here for the duration of our stay.

I have read a lot of books this trip.

There are several Airstreams here and a good half dozen Class B’s, each a different brand from what I can see,and none of them are Interstates.

But for tent sites, the campground looks to be completely filled for this 3-day weekend...lots of kids, bikes, dogs, activity of various sorts well into the night, somewhat assaulting my senses, but it’s a campground, being loved and enjoyed, as it was meant to be.

One of the things I first noticed and appreciated about this place two years ago is that the sites are completely covered with packed white gravel, making a bright, relatively clean surface entirely underfoot instead of the grayish mixture of sand and dirt that would otherwise be present in this area of the country. I like.

We were in a county campground Friday & Saturday night that was one of the most closely spaced experiences I have ever had.

Every available inch was being used, campers in my area parked head to toe, on dirt/sand, alternately facing the fence behind and the entrance into the campground...allowing one water and electric post to serve every two sites.

I could have stood in the middle on either side of my rig, and almost touched both mine and the one next to it.

I’ve never seen anything quite like it.

Pickup trucks, vehicles, and boat trailers filled every available space, and the joint was jumping with families, kids of all ages, dogs, etc....an obviously well used and enjoyed family campground, with the beautiful river a primary attraction.

Fellow patrons and campground staff were friendly, I had electricity after about 10 days without, laundry, a nice bathhouse, and it was inexpensive.

All campgrounds are not created equal, I reminded myself. All part of the travel experience.

Despite my best efforts, between me and the dog my inside rugs were filthy from the weekend, so we stopped at a laundromat on our way here to wash everything that had been underfoot.

Much better. I like clean.

As many times as we have been through the Florida panhandle and southeast area, I don’t recall ever seeing before this trip the bald eagles I have seen this winter.

They are unmistakable, but brown, and I have seen them eating carrion in the roads.

Our eagles at home are black, they eat primarily fish they catch very impressively, and we generally only see them along the rivers.

We are going to enjoy a different camping experience here for awhile, cook some and play with the Dutch Oven Dome. I’m also going to make myself pull out my laptop and documents I brought with for upcoming tax preparation, and start pulling that together in a coherent fashion for my preparer.

It’s going to be tedious, but I will be interested to see what my volunteer expenses and modest medical bills in 2018 do to my taxes.

Something positive for me, I hope.

HistoriCorps is sending out projects for signup, so far too early in the year to be doable for me, as spring and early summer is a time when I need to be at home.

We’ll see what adventures may await the summer.

Maggie
Old 02-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #5749
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Tybee was our favorite cg. Glad you like it! There is a pizza place real close that is dog friendly. Old record albums on the ceiling, lots of outside seating. Cannot remember thename but it is on the main road toward savannah. Little place. Naybe you can take one of the golfcart trolleys.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 AM   #5750
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
How can I find post 5085? I can't get it to come up.
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #5751
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Keep going to earlier pages until that post appears. [using the blue ">" symbol above and to the right] That post is dated 3/23/18 FYI.

Are you on the desktop version of this site, or the App?

Peter
Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #5752
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you have your settings such that the most recent unread post comes up first, #5085 is right now at page #14, going backwards in time, or you can count that forward from the first page...does that make any sense?

Tybee is a much larger and more developed town than Edisto, tho still seems unspoiled compared to Hilton Head, etc., which are just not my cup of tea.

With that come more restaurants and shops, which we will largely neglect but for the nice coffee place that is an easy walk from here.

When we were here the first time, two years ago, we had just been by Doug’s memorial bench at the hospital in Brunswick.

I remember being very teary and full of emotion, but did meet the lovely two women here from my grandparents town on Long Island, who invited me to dinner at their house, introduced me to Honey Jack & Ginger, and with whom I have stayed in touch.

We haven’t been in the same place at the same time since then, but it will hopefully happen one of these days.

This stay should be emotionally unclouded...a different and more enjoyable experience.

Maggie
Old 02-19-2019, 06:41 AM   #5753
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Breakfast scone, using add-water buttermilk biscuit mix and this little item on my propane burner inside...

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/c...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I flipped it over briefly, to make sure the topside was done.

A fluffier, more risen end result than just cooking in the pan on both sides.

It is cooling a bit on a rack, then I’m going to enjoy it.

On edit: this is baked perfectly through, very light and fluffy and delicious!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C704D15-9B96-462D-92B8-FD4BC58B9201.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	333929   Click image for larger version

Name:	7B7C58AA-83DF-4B56-9E60-C160EE7F03A5.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	333930  

Name:	AFF3F172-E2C7-4B47-8638-E166AE126792.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	333931  
Old 02-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #5754
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois
What town on Long Island are you referring to? I grew up there.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #5755
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Huntington.

One of these women’s grandparents lived on the same street as mine, so they may well have known each other.

Maggie
Old 02-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #5756
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I couldn’t pass this up....a magnet for the back of the Interstate
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ED870373-2A3B-43FD-B54C-BF9206A37C64.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	334021  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #5757
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
Quote:
I couldn’t pass this up....a magnet for the back of the Interstate

I like it
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #5758
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The silhouette even looks a bit like Lily...nice find!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #5759
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It has been raining off and on since we got here, and all day yesterday , but tho we started with dense fog this morning it had lifted late morning and the sun is now shining brightly.

A fair amount of turnover here, as people leave because others reservations intrude, and bring with it new and interesting rigs.

A “Burro” tiny trailer on one side of me, a woman about my age in a Honda Pilot with one of those SUV tents I almost bought last year on the other, and what appears to be a homemade teardrop trailer.

Nice to be able to sit outside...I’m getting better at doing that ...enjoy the fresh air, and visit a bit with others.

It being 10 weeks since I’d had a trim, I asked for a recommendation from the girls in the office here for a good place on the island for a haircut, and was sent to Salon Isobe just a few blocks from here.

Walked over there this morning, owner and one woman show Carey cut a couple of inches off my hair, layered it up a bit, blew it dry and took a curling iron to it.

A bit more expensive than my girl at home, but she was very skilled and efficient and I am really pleased with the result.

It’s the shortest it has been in years, but needed a good cut and I feel all fresh and perky.

A rare selfie...no makeup, but my hair has been “done”.

We then got propane, stopped at the IGA for fresh produce, and had lunch outside at the North Beach Bar & Grill.

Yum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	261F54D7-237D-4A7A-B9DF-89BAA4583D2A.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	334104  
Old 02-22-2019, 03:23 AM   #5760
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
I haven’t posted this recipe in a couple of years, so thought I would...anyone can make this, and it will make you feel good to eat it, and to serve it to your friends and family.

Maggie's Dutch Oven Artisan Bread
(an adaptation of Jim Leahy's "No Knead Artisan Bread")

Basic Loaf Ingredients.....for a 12", 5 quart or larger DO:

3 cups unbleached white flour
3 teaspoons vital wheat gluten (Red Mill, top shelf of baking section in your grocery store)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups lukewarm tap water
Extra flour for shaping
Coarse cornmeal

Variations

Substitute 1 cup unbleached white flour for 1 cup whole wheat flour
Substitute 1 cup unbleached white flour for 1 cup rye flour, add 2 tablespoons caraway seed
Add 1/2 cup uncooked steel cut oats, cracked wheat, 7 grain cereal, etc., to flour mixture
Substitute 1 cup unbleached white flour for 1 cup 7 grain bread flour mix, reduce salt to 1 teaspoon
Add 1 cup dried cranberries, 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans and grated rind of 2 oranges to flour mixture
Add 1 cup raisins or chopped dried apple, 1 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to flour mixture
Whisk 1/2 cup cooked, cooled oatmeal into warm water before adding to flour mixture, reduce water by 1/4 cup

Optional add-ins:

2 tablespoons one of the following:

ground flax meal
coarse cornmeal
wheat germ
wheat bran
sesame seeds
(whatever you might like...dried herbs?....use your imagination)

Tools needed:

Large, 3-4 quart, bowl

Heavy whisk, beater or wooden spoon, rubber spatula
Elastic bowl cover or similar item
Waxed paper
Parchment paper

Step 1--mix: The day before baking, mix all dry ingredients together in bowl. Add warm water and stir/turn by hand until all flour is incorporated. Dough will be wet and sticky, rather the consistency of a biscuit dough. Scrape bowl down with spatula, cover with elastic bowl cover and set aside at room temperature 18-24 hours. Exact amount of time is not important. When ready, dough will have at least doubled in size and appear spongey.

Step 2--shape/rest: Prepare a sheet of parchment paper, cut generally to fit the inside bottom of your DO, sprinkling generously with coarse cornmeal, oats, wheat bran, etc. Set aside.

Sprinkle a few tablespoons of flour onto a sheet of waxed paper or other work surface. Scrape dough from bowl onto floured surface. Using the floured wax paper to begin, gently fold and press edges of dough toward center, about 6 times, shaping into a rough rectangle or square. Pinch edges together, brush any seriously excess flour from dough and place seam-side down onto prepared parchment paper.

Place parchment paper bundle back into your bowl. Cover with bowl cover or saran wrap and let rest about one hour.

Step 3--bake:

At home...about 45 minutes into resting period, put Dutch oven in your oven and set to 450 degrees.

15 minutes later, remove bowl cover, snip dough across top, 2-3 times, lift dough by parchment paper and set quickly into preheated DO.

Replace lid and bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove lid, slide parchment paper out from under dough, and bake 10-22 more minutes, til brown and crusty.

Cool thoroughly on wire rack before slicing

With charcoal...

About 30 minutes into resting period, start 45 charcoal briquettes. When nearly ready, put lid on DO and arrange briquettes, 33 on top and 12 beneath.

Let preheat/finish a few minutes, while you prepare your dough.

Remove bowl cover from dough. Snip top of dough 2-3 times with sharp scissors. Sprinkle with wheat bran, seeds of your choice, cornmeal, oats, etc., if desired. Lift dough by parchment paper, place all quickly into oven and replace lid.

Bake 30 minutes, rotating top and bottom..... opposite directions, 45 degrees each...... at the end of 15 and then 30 minutes.

***After the 15 minutes rotations, arrange charcoals on lid around outer edge for remainder of baking time.

***After the 30 minutes rotations, take a quick peek inside to check browning, and replace lid about 1/4" ajar, to allow steam to escape and crust to dry and crisp. Wind will affect how hot your top coals become, so watch carefully. If a very windy day, remove about 9 coals around at this point, if bread is becoming too dark.

Bake about 10 minutes more, lid ajar, about 40 minutes total. Bread will be browned and feel light and hollow when done.

Remove loaf carefully to wire rack and let cool before slicing. If you cut too soon, interior will be damp and sticky. Bread should be airy and porous, crust crisp and chewy.

Store when completely cool in plastic bag or other airtight container.

This is a very easy and very forgiving dough. If it seems too soft, too firm, or otherwise not just right....bake it anyway and try again next time. It will still be delicious.

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/...8-9d6475e73140
I usually read the forums without being signed in so post 5085 was on page 364.
Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote