Old 03-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #3893
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Sounds great. In my opinion it's the vibes you are or may be giving off, OR your SIL could be spot on and it's jealousy on the dogs part. I have to admit our daughters little Yorkie hates our yellow Lab, Hopey. I can walk them together etc, but the second I'm gone he attacks her, bites her and she just stands there looking at Alice and our daughter for help, both of whom are good with dogs and know to relax. So, I've given in, they are not put together. My forth failure in over 1,800 dogs. But, they are not switches or machines.

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #3894
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There's been lots of barking and gnashing of teeth, but no physical contact other than the occasional sniffing of posteriors ....what Mimi calls "air barking", which Lily and her lab mix, both alphas, did a lot of when we were together last summer.

When I tried to give her dog a hard stare, to try to back her off some, she leaned forward and did it to me.

It's okay, more annoying to the humans, as the dogs seem to know exactly what they are each doing, and why.

Maggie

Old 03-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #3895
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
There's been lots of barking and gnashing of teeth, but no physical contact other than the occasional sniffing of posteriors ....what Mimi calls "air barking", which Lily and her lab mix, both alphas, did a lot of when we were together last summer.

When I tried to give her dog a hard stare, to try to back her off some, she leaned forward and did it to me.

It's okay, more annoying to the humans, as the dogs seem to know exactly what they are each doing, and why.

Maggie
Dogs know.

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #3896
Rivet Master

Good morning Maggie. Seems it has been a nice visit over all and good the bulldog and cat are getting their "country self" in line. It is quite an adjustment when any animal is relocated, and certainly from apartment life to their current situation is traumatic for them. Give the kids my best wishes and congrats in their new home.

Safe travels home for you. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #3897
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Evelyn.

It has been a good and very productive visit.

If I lived closer, I could do more, but then it's their house, after all, and they need to learn things about caring for it.

I painted trim around the window in the front door this morning....it which was a darker paint and had been left unpainted after the door itself was sloppily painted a glossy white.

More than a little messy looking, and one of just a couple of things needing tending to...both painting, both of which I did.

I suspect the door was something begun which didn't get completed.

D is starting to get her sea legs, doing a lot of research about how to do what to wherever, and making plans for after I am gone.

They're going to have a lot of fun getting it just the way they want it, tho it's in very good shape...just needing some furniture and personal touches.

When my friends were here on Sunday, and D's friends on Saturday, both did the "oh my gosh!" reaction when they got thru the front room and into the big kitchen opening on to the great room, with all the windows and vaulted ceiling.

A very comfortable place, with lots of charm and special touches...I couldn't be happier for them.

We are going to make a trip to World Market this afternoon...she has a list of things she needs and is looking for.

Lily will ride along, rather than be left here with the bulldog.

Maggie
Old 03-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #3898
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wound our way southerly this morning, past the most gorgeous old homes and miles of very old stone fencing , into Pennsylvania and thru the Delaware Water Gap area....which Doug and I camped in one fall 4-5 years ago.

A beautiful area, even in the brown of winter, with a nice NP campground that has electricity.

Settled into a campground south of Reading for the night, and should get on into VA tomorrow...where there is a very nice COE Campground open all year.

All is well, tho I am headache-ey for some reason.

Sweet son tells me 5-7" of snow is due at home this weekend, so I will take my time getting there.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #3899
Rivet Master

Hi Maggie. Hope trip going well. No posts since yesterday....assume you have no signal?
I miss you when you don't post. Be safe. Evelyn.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #3900
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Yeah, what Evelyn said.... hope the headache-ey didn't last long... hugs and love from the soggy Oregon coast.....
Old 03-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #3901
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After learning yesterday morning that the year round, COE Campground in Virginia I was headed for was closed until March 23, we set out for the Shenandoah River State Park near Front Royal, VA instead.

Adjusting my navigation system to "most direct route", I let it do its thing...I so hate to resort to talking GPS, but there were too many turns and road changes to safely handle without it, plus be able to take even the slightest glance at anything around me.

Just shy of 4 hours per the system, tho in actuality 5+...a long-enough day for us both.

We had a beautiful drive, on a warm and sunny day, out of Pennsylvania, into Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and back into Virginia. Leaving Revolutionary War signs for those of Gettysburg, Antietam, and Harpers Ferry, and across a wide, but shallow and rocky, Potomac River.

More gorgeous old homes than I could count, and several old stone mills...one of which was for sale.

There's something about old stone that calls to me, deep in my soul. Its solidity and endurance over time, its structure, and just the look of it...stone structures have been a part of my life across time, that I believe. I am drawn to them.

Flowering trees and shrubs in full bloom, and daffodils coming up everywhere.

Shenandoah River SP is beautiful, new-ish, and the campground and bathhouse neat as a pin...but no real shade trees, and no phone nor internet signal.

Only a few campers present in both loops, which allowed Lily and I both a walk and a running-free bike ride yesterday afternoon.

Rain this morning, with temps in the low 30's, and it is fixing to get much colder, so we're out of here.

This time three years ago, we were in the ICU in Brunswick, GA, Doug on life support with only a 5% chance of regaining "meaningful brain activity". Life as we knew it had ended, and I had been dropped into the parallel universe of next-of-kin-to-spouse-revived, alive-but-not-really-alive, making decisions and leaning on everyone.

Year three of widowhood has been one of palpable shifts, demarcations, and definition in a couple of areas, as life has done what life does, and I have inevitably aged in the life of one-who-was-once-two...looking thru a single lens at all things, creating a life going forward, and becoming a better primary caretaker of me.

How fitting that this year culminated with me not at our beloved Edisto, not walking the beach and immersed in that special "us" place, as I have been the past two anniversaries. It was so important for me to be there those first two...I needed that place.

Instead, this year, eminently worthy mother tasks beckoned, that would have taken me away from there, regardless.

Meant to be.

Heading today to a PA campground in Bristol, TN.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #3902
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning Maggie... you're posts always touch me... and that you share them so eloquently... hope your weather continues to be good to you!!.. hugs and love...
Old 03-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #3903
Rivet Master

Hi Maggie. Glad lack of signal is what kept you from posting! I know it's silly, but,I do worry about you when you're absent!

I agree with Gail, in that your continued introspection on life changing events, are so moving. Your self growth is evident and ever changing....as life must be....

Continue with safe travels and enjoy the journey. God bless. Evelyn.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:34 PM   #3904
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nearly 300 miles driven today, now settled into the campground in Bristol...still no television signal but plenty of Verizon LTE and unread books in my Nook app, so I'm good with that.

A very, very windy drive thru lots of traffic down 81, with rain off and on and a bit of snow, but nothing serious.

Am hoping to get to the Museum of Appalachia tomorrow, and into a campground closer to it...we'll see how the weather is. I can sit tight here if need be.

This is a very nice, well maintained Campground, with most sites in a large, grassy area below me.

https://www.shadrackcampground.com

I am in the cheap seats up the hill.... my choice, as I didn't need sewer and prefer to be close to the bathhouse.

This place apparently caters to the race car enthusiasts, and has a dozen or so rental trailers set up here on the hill.

Lily will be happy not to drive much tomorrow, and to spend more time walking.

Driving days wear her out.

Maggie
Old 03-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #3905
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My nifty little electric fireplace/space heater stopped working last night.

I got online, looked up trouble shooting for this particular item, then located, removed, and vacuumed the screen in the back...and, it worked!

I fixed it, all by my self!

Lily had a good run this morning, then just a few hours of driving today, thru some fairly serious snow that was fortunately not sticking, but more is predicted.

A stop at the market for provisions, as we will hunker down for a few days til the weather clears.

Cove Lake SP north of Knoxville, TN....lovely, bathhouse is open, and they give a 25% senior discount on already very reasonable site fees.

A good place to hang out for a few days, after four on the road, and only about 15 minutes from the Museum of Appalachia that I want to go back to.

It needs to warm up before we get any farther north.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4364.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	281202  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #3906
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning back there... nice you got in and settled before the rest of the not great weather that's coming... if I understood the weahter guy this morning, we've had 8 dry days this year so far... no wonder everything is so soggy!!!! Ok, enjoy your day there... hugs and pats and love to you both... keep having fun!!!