Old 02-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #3851
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Good plan with the bulldog - for a while, whenever he gets up and moves around, take him straight outside. Praise and give treats whenever he does the right thing in the right place.

If you like the idea of "clicker training," you can try that too. Karen Pryor is the "goddess" of clicker training: http://www.clickertraining.com/ There's no magic, really. It's all about catching the dog going something you like, noting the behavior with a "click" and then giving a small reward. The point of the clicker is to catch them exactly when they are doing something good and to let them know they're going to get a small treat for it. Training treats should be roughly the size of a pea. Not big enough to make a difference in caloric intake, but enough to be yummy and appreciated The more interesting the training treat, the better. It should generally be more desirable than a bit of standard kibble (dry dog food)

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #3852
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for the suggestions, folks, but I am just a temporary caregiver for this Bulldog and won't take on re-training.

The dog is not only 13, but his Dad, my SIL, calls the shots.

I think the dog is going to get the hang of things, the key for us is to know what he needs because he has always been an apartment dog and never had to ask to go outside....he was just taken, on a schedule.

We are all putting him out every time he is up and moving...mostly, he likes to sleep...but once out, he will go.

Going to have the Interstate serviced about 20 miles from here tomorrow, get the tires rotated, etc.

We will be up and running early...

Maggie

Old 02-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #3853
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Sounds good, here's hoping for a nice boring service visit.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #3854
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Drove to the scheduled service appointment this morning, where I had not only specified to the woman I spoke with on the phone last week the vehicle type, but also gave the VIN#, to be told by the service manager that they can't work on Sprinter Vans, don't have the necessary equipment.

He referred me to a MB dealer the other side of the Hudson, who said they could get me in this morning, so we headed over there.

4 hours later, we left, nothing remarkable but for a return appt in the am to have an axle seal that is dripping differential fluid replaced.

Sigh. At 182,000 miles, things are going to wear out, and need to be replaced.

The good news, the service guy said they had just had a Sprinter van in there with over 300,000 miles on it.

Replacing the seal will take the better part of the day, they will bring me back to the house and then pick me up, we will head to Croton Point from there.

Otherwise, no news here.

Lily charmed everyone at the dealership, being very well behaved and sweet, encouraging several people to stop and pet her.

She is starved for affection, don'tcha know.

Sun is shining, temps are cooler but remain very manageable.

Maggie
Old 02-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #3855
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My current read on the Holocaust...this one a true story, about real people...every day heroes who saved thousands of children from the Warsaw Ghetto.

Worth your time...
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #3856
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Another book on the Warsaw ghetto is Mila 18 by Leon Uris. A good read.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #3857
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm...I have read something by Leon Uris long ago. I will look for that.

Reading these books, it is impossible to imagine what these people went through...those that lived, and those that died.

It is equally difficult to digest what people willingly did to their fellow man, tho I have seen enough in my life to not only believe it but to know that it could happen again.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #3858
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like this...8 Habits of Healthy People...good things to remind oneself of.

http://www.motherearthliving.com/hea...&spot=headline
Old 02-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #3859
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hello Maggie,
Croton Point is on my list of potential parks to try that would enable one to take a train to Central Station in the morning and return later in the day. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Jim
Old 02-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #3860
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have no idea, really, as I am unfamiliar with the train systems, but it is close enough to NYC that a station would have to be close.

I'll post a picture of the park tomorrow....it will be getting dark before I am there today, as It looks as if the Interstate will not be ready until late afternoon.

Maggie
Old 02-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #3861
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow. We had a blackout here for awhile.

I have noticed pages loading sluggishly the past week or so...wonder if that was a precursor to the website going down.

At any rate, Jim....looking at Croton-on-Point, it looks like there are several train lines that go thru there, so I would suspect getting into the big city would not be a problem. I will make a point to ask.

I called the campground a bit ago to be sure I wouldn't have a problem getting in if I arrive after 5 pm, which seems exceedingly likely, and I will not....as long as I have a reservation, which I did not, without which the ranger will not let me up into the campground.

I have a reservation now.

There are apparently only a few sites open for "transients" thru the winter.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #3862
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We did not leave the dealership with the Interstate until almost 6pm...when I realized how late a start we were going to get, I thought spending the night in New Windsor was a better option, but the campground office was closed so I couldn't cancel.

Driving in the dark is not one of my favorite things these days.

GPS got us there in about an hour, thru moderate traffic, after a few wrong turns because her pronunciation of words on unfamiliar roads threw me....she also says "of course, check the map", when it is actually "off course, check the map".

Why I don't like my electronics to talk to me.

Winding my way into the campground in the frigging pitch black dark, the ranger had seen me come in and caught up with me to give me my registration packet. I couldn't see site numbers, much less park safely on my own, but we quickly determined that my assigned, full hookup site was occupied by an older Class A.

No one home to explain or ask them to move.

Amazingly, mid week this campground is almost full, with folks who appear settled in for the duration.

He helped me find an empty W/E site and, using my amazing LED lantern that I bought for the New Mexico trip, helped me park in what was obviously a barriered vehicle parking area that had had an electric hookup and water spigot added well behind it.

Is this SOP in east coast campgrounds?

But, electricity for the night got us settled in comfortably and I was grateful for the Rangers help, keeping me from wandering, alone and unseeing, in the darkness.

Going to walk Miss Lily and head down to the office after 8:30 am, to see what can be done about any other site, preferably a full hookup site...the bathhouse is closed, so a sewer connection would be nice.

In the early morning light, this looks to be a pretty, wooded campground...and nearly full, did I mention that?

Maggie
Old 03-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #3863
Rivet Master

1961 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Don't like those days when our best laid plans turn into option c when options a and b were well planned out and thought through.

I always say that is God working on my patience, for which I am not known.

Sounds like you managed it well "of course". Good of the ranger to come out and help you navigate the terrain.

Hopefully your designated spot opened up or a better spot presents itself today.

Enjoy your new surrounds.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #3864
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Hittenstiehl.

I am prone to impatience, forged I feel from years of being driven to get things done as quickly and in the most efficient way possible, because you never knew when the **** could hit the fan.

Your body gets wired to a certain type of response...

Working these days on being more patient, reminding myself that I live a different life now, and telling my inner me often that "this is meant to be a lesson in patience".

It's working, We're always a work in progress, and that's okay.

Lily had a good run this morning, and I got assigned a new site...out of one of just the very few open for winter here that is not already filled or reserved.

The person in my assigned site is not registered, but that is not my problem.

Made a run to the little grocer in town, got set up here, filled my fresh water and emptied my tanks just before it began to rain again.

Heavy storms are predicted here later, with much colder temps, but we are now set up, it is snug and warm inside, and so I am going to make a smallish pot of chicken noodle soup in my Instant Pot after awhile.

Love those packages of cut up carrot, celery and onion you can find in many produce departments these days.

It's what you do on a cold and wet day...you make soup, and maybe bread, but I bought a loaf of made-in-Brooklyn bread at the store this morning.

Going to clean some in here today, as I have done nothing more than tidy and occasionally vacuum in about two weeks.

Maggie