Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 AM   #5281
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Deborah!

That’s a nice one, smaller and different layout than mine, but very well kept.

I’m not sure I was aware they made a 21’, but I wouldn’t mind going a bit smaller. I would want a Diesel engine.

I am not familiar with craigslist vehicle listings, but don’t find a mileage noted anywhere?

Maggie
Old 06-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #5282
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I think they just goofed up the title. Even the floor plan they show is for a 22’.
I’m sure that is exactly the same as your old one, with the exception of a sofa in the rear instead of the jacknife couches.

I really like the jacknife setup- with wide open access through the rear doors. It probably would be relatively easy to pull the old setup out of yours and install into this one. But of course distance and dealing with insurance company would likely make that rather difficult.

I coudln’t Find a mileage either. Pictures make it looks good, but of course a detailed personal inspection would really be required. Price seems quite low to me, enough to maybe be a scam.

If a person doesn’t care about going out the rear doors, or having unobstructed view out the rear, this would still be a great layout (well, I think). To me, it is work quite a lot more to have the RS layout.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/r...608258970.html

This one is fairly close to me. different brand (I thought the AI has better quality materials from the ones I’ve seen)
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #5283
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ahh, that could be.

We always wanted the rear sleeper, and were lucky enough to find one, tho having had one for 11 years I could live with something else.

I thought the pricing was low, too, from others similar that I have seen and this one being in such excellent condition.

From what I understand, a well maintained and often runned diesel such as ours should be good at least for several hundred thousand miles, so 113,000+ on the one you linked is just well broken in.

Maggie
Old 06-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #5284
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are on our fourth day of badly needed rain here, some of it coming in gentle showers, some in thunderstorms and including one tornado warning this past Sunday.

While sheltering with her family, granddaughter texted me from her basement, worried about Grandma because she doesn’t have one. So sweet.

I had always told them that if there were ever a category 3 or 4 tornado headed our way, I would come to their basement...one is only really safe underground with those big guys, ya know, but we fortunately don’t have many of them here.

I woke in the night to Lily’s nose touching mine...I was facing toward the door, she had her paws on the side of the bed and was nose-touching to wake me because she is afraid of the storms.

I scooched over and she stretched out along the length of me, where she feels safe, tho would get under my skin if that were possible.

Tho it is hot and humid, the rain has made me want to bake bread so there is a loaf on the counter to bake in the morning.

That’s why we have ac.

Maggie
Old 06-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #5285
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
As I was just reading through the Valuation thread . . .

. . . it occurred that the accident might be more of a nodal point in your life than just what it appears to be.

Sorry if this seems impertinent or presumptuous, coming from a relative stranger, but has a new life volume opened, to be known as A Different Life III . . .

. . . without a replacement RV until well after the dust settles?

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #5286
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don’t think so, but thanks for the suggestion, Peter.

I feel sure I am between Interstates right now, that I will continue to travel but in a different rig.

Maggie
Old 06-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #5287
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Great! You are so delightful, I hope I run into you some day in mine so I can meet you! Best wishes.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #5288
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Maggie, Here I am sitting in my campground minding my own business when in an Airstream interstate pulls in with a for sale sign on it. I mosey over rather eagerly .... and it is a 2012.... sigh had you going for a minute there[emoji48][emoji36] didn't I? It is nice, but not a rear sleeper and they are asking +90K which seems ambitious.

I totally GET what you said about learning to tow a pull behind. I was a bit intimidated just sitting in the driver's seat of the Interstate. I also thought that you might have some re-learning if you got a newer year Sprinter.

You are a class C person, and frankly I dont know anyone who has gone from an interstate to a trailer. I guess there are tradeoffs on both small trailers and Interstates. From the trailer side, I don't have to reel in the hose, power cable and sewer line to go to the grocery store. And if I wreck the truck, I could literally replace it in 48 hours anywhere in the USA. And paying to maintain a second power train? And of course replacement cost for a Nest or Casita, etc would be considerably less expensive.

With even a Nest it takes two parking spaces or more to go to a store, and you can't stealth camp lugging a trailer. If you leave the genset off in an Interstate, it is just a big van... empty or occupied?

As for bears... either way we are crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside.

I will keep my eyes open for a more seasoned Interstate.

Paula
Old 06-15-2018, 08:07 AM   #5289
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Great! You are so delightful, I hope I run into you some day in mine so I can meet you! Best wishes.
THats sweet, but in all honesty I doubt many who know me find me “delightful”.

Go right ahead and think that, tho, and thanks for dropping in.

Maggie
Old 06-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #5290
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Paula.

I really want an older model, the fewer bells and whistles the better, but am not wedded to a rear sleeper...I prefer that, but have had it and could definitely live with something else.

Simplicity is more important to me. The 06 was more a luxury camper van, and that’s what I like.

There is not much out there, but regardless I won’t do any serious looking until I have settled with State Farm...seems bad luck, tho they have finally said they are totaling it.

Seems that determination was made in the first week, but they didn’t want to say it for some reason. And, actually, Sam Gray said that immediately...”they’re not going to fix this, Maggie”.

If anyone comes across something, tho...

Maggie
Old 06-16-2018, 05:04 AM   #5291
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So, I decided yesterday to take State Farm’s offer on the Interstate, and will sign over the title and receive a check by the middle of next week.

$43,759.60, including sales tax and title fee.

The farther I got into this, fighting to possibly get a little more from them seemed highly unlikely to be fruitful, the high mileage being the major factor which they were not willing to budge on.

And, seriously, they’re giving me over 30% more than I initially thought I might get...tho not having previously researched current value, I just didn’t know.

It should be a comfort to all of us wth these older rigs that they are holding their value so well. We love them for good reason.

The Interstate will be auctioned for salvage, and hopefully all the usable bits and pieces will go to maintain the equally beloved rigs of fellow travelers.

Now, to find a replacement...found in my inbox this morning an email from Joseph with a half dozen links to rigs for sale.

If anyone else comes across anything, I would love to hear about it.

Maggie

2,000 children, separated from their parents, in a 6 week period, traumatizing the children and overflowing the existing shelters...

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/15/62054..._campaign=news
Old 06-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #5292
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I think the offer is a fair one, and if you do that is all that is important.

Move on.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #5293
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI here is the new thread about a possible replacement vehicle:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...te-182970.html

Good luck, Maggie!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #5294
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I think the offer is a fair one, and if you do that is all that is important.

Move on.

Bud
The more I learn, the more fair it seems, and I really don’t want nor need to spend weeks more haggling over this in the hopes of getting another $1,000-2,000.

I don’t think they’re going to give it, and it’s because of the mileage. It makes no difference that there could be another 200-300 miles on that rig.

I may have found a replacement in the Phoenix area...

Maggie
Old 06-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #5295
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This might be a good summer project, out of cotton...

Like a granny square that never ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F4C1FFD-1BC6-43A9-9D1C-E919F1468B5A.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	314169  
Old 06-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #5296
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Very pretty. I also crochet
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #5297
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
The more I learn, the more fair it seems, and I really don’t want nor need to spend weeks more haggling over this in the hopes of getting another $1,000-2,000.

I don’t think they’re going to give it, and it’s because of the mileage. It makes no difference that there could be another 200-300 miles on that rig.

I may have found a replacement in the Phoenix area...

Maggie
I meant 200,000-300,000.

Some places these engines are believed to go 500,000 miles or better.

Maggie
Old 06-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #5298
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I agree, couple of thousand one way or another is just not worth it as long as you are satisfied. Similar to buying a car/truck or house one can spend hours and gets all anxious over what in the long run really is not that much. Now if it were $10k or so difference then I'd be all over a discussion.

Good luck on the possible find.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #5299
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree, and thank you.

One doesn’t want to get screwed, neither to screw oneself.

Maggie
Old 06-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #5300
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I have disassembled a Mercedes diesel engine (from an older vehicle than yours) and it was built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Unfortunately the owner of that engine had forgotten to check his oil regularly and the engine was toast. His almost immaculate Mercedes 240D, with a rebuilt engine installed, became my daily driver for 200,000 miles. We bought it for $0.25 more than the salvage man's bid.

I have no doubt that a properly cared for Mercedes diesel would run 500,000 miles.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote

« No Game Changer | Top | - »