Old 06-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #5241
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Now is when getting an expert on Airstream's independent appraisal is going to be important....

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #5242
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Did they tell you what the repair costs were? If not, get that number.

Even NADA has it at 40,850 average retail. Repairs could be over $30,000 without being totaled. Like I PM'd you, my son wrecked his Sprinter and both front fenders and a lot of mounting brackets had to be replaced. That job was only $7000.

If you wanted to get an independent appraisal, I had one done by John McGinnis, All Wheels Appraisals. He is in Jeffersonville, Indiana, and can be reached at 812 282-7253 or John McGinnis <allwheelappraisals@gmail.com>

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #5243
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’m looking into an independent appraisal.

The repair estimate online isn’t accurate, apparently because they stop documenting when costs seem to prohibit repair.

Even if repairs were $15,000, I believe the value would support that, tho the Claims guy said it looked as if the frame was bent...which even I know is bad.

Maggie
Old 06-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #5244
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Car frames can be straightened, even back to factory specs, but I don't know about Sprinters. The frames are probably much stronger and harder to straighten. But have them send you pictures of where it is bent and take the pictures to a trusted Sprinter repair shop. If the appraiser is not familiar with Sprinters, the bent part may be replaceable.

I did have a situation where an insurance appraiser was trying to total out my car when I knew that it was repairable. There was circumstantial evidence that the appraiser was working with a salvage yard to send them good wrecks. My body shop owner happened to play golf with the regional manager of the insurance company or appraisal contractor and mentioned the situation to him. Miraculously my car was suddenly not totaled and repaired.

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004

Old 06-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #5245
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Al.

The claims guy asked what I thought it was worth, maybe $10,000?

I am pretty certain it is worth considerably more than that, in spite of the mileage.

If they totaled it, they would sell it at auction, unless I wanted to keep it, in which case they would pay me the difference.

He mentioned having an RV dealer take a look at it, which I think needs to be done.

Maggie
Old 06-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #5246
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
A few things to point out. $40k is high retail for this coach. It's average could be much less.

Keep in mind that parts are not the only issue (of which there may be many needed), at $80+/hr labor comes into play here big time.

If the insurance decides to try to repair it, if they peel the onion and find a lot of hidden damage, which is entirely possible given the pictures and description of the accident, they could walk and simply cut Maggie a check. Insurance companies have all the angles worked out to their advantage. The only way to get full market value is if you have full replacement clause/policy, in which case the premiums are far more expensive, but cover full replacement value (certain exceptions I'm sure do apply).

Bottom line a replacement RV can be had, Maggie and company cannot, so in the end no matter what happens to the Interstate, I take great comfort knowing Maggie walked away from it and is fine.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #5247
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Every insurance company I’ve worked with give you first right to ‘retain’ the vehicle. BEFORE they sell it at auction.

The price they ask for it can very drastically. I’ve ‘retained’ totaled vehicles and purchased totals. Both (generally) will have a ‘rebuilt’ title, that devalues the vehicle.

I would say yours would be worth at least $40k. A well kept Sprinter can go many, many miles and that 200k miles would not scare most people at all.

I’ve seen lower mile ones sell for that much- but needing a bunch of ‘RV’ work with many things not working.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #5248
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thanks, Al.

The claims guy asked what I thought it was worth, maybe $10,000?

I am pretty certain it is worth considerably more than that, in spite of the mileage.

If they totaled it, they would sell it at auction, unless I wanted to keep it, in which case they would pay me the difference.

He mentioned having an RV dealer take a look at it, which I think needs to be done.

Maggie

NADA doesn't want to know the mileage for Sprinter diesels. According to them, it is not a factor in the value of the vehicle.

Google 2006 Airstream Interstate value and click on the NADA tab. NADA is notoriously low on Airstream trailers, but have low retail over $30,000 and average retail over $40,000.

I'd fight for a valuation in or above that range.

NADA is what many banks use for loan value. That's why you can hardly get a reasonable loan to purchase a used Airstream.

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004

Old 06-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #5249
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Will reply in your Valuation thread, stand by.

PS -- See new thread about extra lines appearing in many posts:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ts-182555.html
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #5250
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks.

Maggie
Old 06-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #5251
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Cute, Dan.

My Interstate wasn’t totaled, which makes this all different now.

Maggie
What great news! Perhaps you’ll be back on the road sooner than you could possible inagine.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #5252
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
NADA doesn't want to know the mileage for Sprinter diesels. According to them, it is not a factor in the value of the vehicle.

Google 2006 Airstream Interstate value and click on the NADA tab. NADA is notoriously low on Airstream trailers, but have low retail over $30,000 and average retail over $40,000.

I'd fight for a valuation in or above that range.

NADA is what many banks use for loan value. That's why you can hardly get a reasonable loan to purchase a used Airstream.

Al

That isn't realy how insurance companies think. They don't look at high retail unless you have a full repl policy. They play the averages game and mileage and age ARE taken into account. Unless the policy is full replacement value, there is a LOT of grey area for the ins comp to play with, esp if they start pulling it apart and it needs a LOT to get it road worthy, more than init thought.

Sure you may get a bit more as the squeaky wheel gets more oil, but keep in mind without a full repl policy, ins companies do find many ways to keep their cash outlay as low as possible. There is a reason there is so much fine print.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:18 AM   #5253
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Many insurance companies use the Black Book for damage appraisals.

Labor rates for most RV dealers range from $100.00 an hour up to $185.00 an hour.

I might suggest you send pictures to Artie at the factory and get a guesstimate from Airstream as to repair costs, but he would need a number of pictures and description and obviously would not be held to that number.

Not sure where the Interstate is located, but there is only one Airstream dealer in PA, Ansley RV in Duncansville, PA. Which is near Altoona, PA. Other than that there is an Airstream Interstate dealer in North East West Virginia. There is also Colonial Airstream down in Lakewood, NJ, the largest dealer of all Airstreams I know of. I don't think a "normal" RV dealer would be capable of an accurate appraisal nor repair of an Airstream Diesel.

An option in the discussion with SF would be using several books for valuation and then the internet for sale prices on used Interstates of your year to hopefully get as much as you can out of them, if they total it.

Our Best

Bud

Bud
Starting to Look (AGAIN) Number 5 Hopefully
USAF Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:35 AM   #5254
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I think I would much rather have a Mercedes shop do the repairs than an airstream dealer.

The back is Airstream the front is Mercedes
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:38 AM   #5255
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
What great news! Perhaps you’ll be back on the road sooner than you could possible inagine.

Carol
Thank you, Carol, but it may still be totaled.

Not understanding the process, I interpreted an estimate for repairs as an indication that it would not, but they are still waiting for a determination of its value....if repair costs are more than 75% of that, it will be totaled.

Maggie
Old 06-06-2018, 04:44 AM   #5256
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Bud.

I am going to get the pictures SF has taken, and look at sending them out for independent assessment.

Aside from whether it is feasible to repair, there is the current value of my rig in its undamaged state, which SF doesn’t seem to have a good handle on.

There aren’t a lot of older model Interstates for sale to compare mine to...people seem to be holding on to them.

RandyNH, my Interstate is on a Dodge Sprinter chassis, only the engine is Mercedes diesel.

Maggie
Old 06-06-2018, 05:30 AM   #5257
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Your Interstate was made when Daimler owned Chrysler. At that time they sold the Sprinter in the US under the Dodge label. When Chrysler was bought by Fiat, Daimler held on to the Sprinter and put the Mercedes star on it. So, your Interstate is a Mercedes underneath it all.

Even my old blue Dodge truck can claim a bit of Mercedes ancestry, being built during the Daimler-Chrysler period--from a US design and assembled in Mexico. So much for trying to buy American.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:05 AM   #5258
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ahhh, thank you Mimi.

Maggie
Old 06-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #5259
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Thank you, Bud.

I am going to get the pictures SF has taken, and look at sending them out for independent assessment.

Aside from whether it is feasible to repair, there is the current value of my rig in its undamaged state, which SF doesn’t seem to have a good handle on.

There aren’t a lot of older model Interstates for sale to compare mine to...people seem to be holding on to them.

RandyNH, my Interstate is on a Dodge Sprinter chassis, only the engine is Mercedes diesel.

Maggie
Maggie,

Last week I found probably half a dozen listed for sale by simply doing a Google search using the year and model. I realize that’s not a lot, but it was more than I expected.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM   #5260
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
There are a few T1N Interstates for sale, but vary Rare to see a ‘Rear Sleeper’ for sale.
With floor layout being a huge deal- I would argue that unless it is the same layout it really isn’t a fair value comparison.
Others likely would not agree with that.

Of course, even the rear bath ones would give *some* sort of value. But from what I’ve seen, they are usually about $10k cheaper than the rear sleeper with similar condition. (I could most certainly be full of it- but that is my perception).

Mark

Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote