Old 11-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #3361
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Maggie!

I envy you knowing you will be back on the road again in a little over a month; I'm hoping for a Spring trip.

I totally understand the feeling you get re: yarn. I used to get so excited when my Spring line and Fall line books would show up -- almost like Christmas! Not only were the new colorways a thrill to look at, but the textures of the fabrics were wonderful as well! (I'm speaking of the various lines of drapery fabrics I used to carry.) I think it is natural for artistic, creative individuals to react this way. I just remembered how I used to feel when in elementary school, before school started again in the Fall, we would go to the local book store and Mom would purchase our school supplies according to the grade we were going into. The neat thing was that they were already packaged in Manila paper -- almost like gifts. My favorite thing in there was always the stick of clay, followed closely by the box of crayons, and all of the various colors. I can still remember the scent of the clay -- what a powerful memory that clay is!

I'm curious if others from other parts of the country received their school supplies prewrapped; as reference, I started elementary school in 1956. Just wondering.

It's a cold, rainy evening here in Ohio, and very dark outside. I can hear the wind in the trees, we must have a change in temp. coming.

Deb

Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:50 PM   #3362
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Deb.

I would have started kindergarten in 1954, and I don't remember school supplies wrapped in Manila paper....but they might have been.

I don't think of myself as creative, but I think I have some creative streaks.

We are due for a cold snap, too, but it's almost December.

Have just watched another movie on WWII...the Black Book, about a Jewish woman who bleaches her hair and hides as Christian to survive the war, and help the Resistance.

Good, based on true facts but not any one individual. I like the ones more based on real individuals that helped, and those that survived.

Interesting, the conjoining of my newly found Jewish ancestry and long held interest in WWII and the Holocaust....maybe I've always known on some level.

Night-night.

Maggie

Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #3363
Rivet Master

Winter is arriving here in Colorado....finally! Good powder in the mountains and ski resorts and skiers are revelling in it! It makes me wish I could still ski. I really loved skiing! No more of that for me, unfortunately. Temps are in 30's over the next week. Windy and brisk here today.

I picked up Goliath from dealer (warranty work) plus winterizing and a new tire to replace one that picked up a piece of metal...road debride, probably. Took him to storage, plugged it in, tucked him in for a bit. I'll go over in a few days and clean it up, (after workers being in and out a lot over the last month and half.) Glad that's done.

Now, to begin Christmas decorating. I so enjoy Christmas!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:52 AM   #3364
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you have your baby home, Evelyn.

Enjoy your decorating.

Maggie
Old 11-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #3365
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I would have been in grade school during that time period, and where I lived the school supplies were not pre-wrapped. We got a list and had to pick out each item from the shelf at the store.

What I do remember is the heavy paper book covers that we had to install on the state-supplied school books at the start of every school year. They were handed out on the first day of school, along with the books. Must have been sponsored by local merchants, because they had ads printed on them. Heaven help the kid who was caught with a book uncovered or the one who defaced a book.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:45 AM   #3366
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My heart goes out to those affected by the devastating wildfires in Tennessee.

Wildfires are horrific, any time and any place, but I can't imagine the shock and horror people who have never dealt with this before must be experiencing.

To read that the Smoky Mountains are burning, is just unreal.

Stay safe, everyone.

Maggie
Old 11-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #3367
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
I would have been in grade school during that time period, and where I lived the school supplies were not pre-wrapped. We got a list and had to pick out each item from the shelf at the store.

What I do remember is the heavy paper book covers that we had to install on the state-supplied school books at the start of every school year. They were handed out on the first day of school, along with the books. Must have been sponsored by local merchants, because they had ads printed on them. Heaven help the kid who was caught with a book uncovered or the one who defaced a book.
I remember paper book covers, Mimi!

You could draw and doodle on them at leisure, is what I most remember.

Maggie
Old 11-29-2016, 07:02 AM   #3368
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Yes, doodling on the book cover was OK. In the book, nearly capital offense.

Wildfires are nasty, no matter where they happen. A few years ago, we had a bad rash of those here in Texas. My daughter's in-law's ranch was threatened by one of them. Not only is that place their home, it's their livelihood also. Fortunately, the fire was stopped before it got to them.

The storms that passed over me yesterday morning are supposed to bring some rain to the South. Hope that does some good for the firefighters.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #3369
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This picture was attached to an article link on a Facebook page I follow. I had to save it.

If you have lost your partner, with whom you were very close, this is exactly what it feels like.

Doug and I were touchers, cuddlers, and hand-holders...walking, sitting, wherever...we liked touch, and the mental/emotional, deep feeling of connection that physical contact, even if only pinkies intertwined, brought.

I distinctly remember the huge void I especially noticed for many months, when walking anywhere after Doug died...my arm was not linked thru his, his hand did not reach over to clasp mine, mine did not slip into his like it was made to be there.

I also distinctly recall, 3 weeks after he was buried, Doug's son walking me to my car after I'd attended his rugby match in his father's place.

I had a brief mental image of Doug's transparent arm reaching out for my hand, as we walked thru that parking lot.

Was he there in spirit, holding my hand, and thanking me for coming?

I like to think so.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3852.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	276188  
Old 11-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #3370
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Filled my wood box, did a little cooking, and took Lily for an extra-long walk this morning....then settled down to crochet.

3 hats so far out of my lovely new yarn, and they make up quickly, with interesting color names such as "Little Rock Granite".

Son comes to pick up his car Friday afternoon, and my goal is to have this box to the post office before that.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3854.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	276196  
Old 11-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #3371
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
The hats are nice, cute and simple. Seems like they could go for girl's also. Maybe a funky flower for the girls. I've got to get to my yarn. It's so pretty also.

Maggie you are so right about touch. A small write up years ago talked about seniors, (not your age much older&#128522 who said the thing one missed most is the touch. It said a senior all alone without loved ones or family contact could go many months or years without a touch from another human being.

A good friend of 95 gives good hugs. She squeezes and let's you know it's there. Not a side pat or shoulder Pat. A full embracing hug.

I'm always thankful for your grands, your loving son and daughter and your circle of friends. Knowing you get hugs and lots of Lily kisses and snuggles.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #3372
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They're adult hats, men's really, for the homeless day shelter, but it's a simple pattern that can be adapted for any size head, and I have some women's, too.

I was tired of making hats, so did scarves, then tired of making scarves so am back to hats to finish the box out.

This bulky yarn works up quickly, and will be warm.

I don't know what I would have done these past couple of years, without Lily by my side. She is comfort and companionship all day, and snuggles by my feet at night.

I am fortunate to have loved ones nearby, but no one is available all the time...but for Miss Lily.

Maggie
Old 11-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #3373
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Have you seen the hats, similar to yours, that have face protection in a contrasting colour to look like a beard?
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:03 AM   #3374
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I haven't seen those, Gerard, but I'll watch for someone wearing one.

My son grows what I call "winter fur" every year, having a full beard for the cold winter months....not every man can grow them, as I understand it.

Try to get to Moraine View next June, hmm? Jack hasn't started a thread yet, but watch for it...usually second weekend in June.

It's a great group, in a lovely location, and it would be nice to see you and your sweet wife.

Anyone wanting to come, all are always welcome.

Maggie