Old 11-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #3333
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
That's funny?? I answered you about the rain but the post isn't there??? Anyway, rain is fine..it's Oregon ya know hahaha... today was sunny and I mowed in front of the cottage..life is good!! Keep having fun!!! Hugs and love and happy holidays everyone !!!

Ok, now it showed up... whatever.... so disregard this one...

Old 11-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #3334
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's there, #3331.

It's supposed to rain here tomorrow afternoon and Wednesday, so in the morning I will be hauling tarps full of leaves from the back yard to the curb.

Should be interesting to see how my body holds up to that, tho sometimes I just like to see what it can still do.

I could ask for help, but I won't.

I can do it.

Poking around on ancestry today, I found a newspaper article submitted by a distant cousin.... of my 3rd ggf's brother, complete with picture, which gives me an idea what my 3rd ggf may have looked like.

This the man who came with his family down the TN and MS rivers to Natchez in 1806, and built the home that is still standing that I was in for the first time almost 2 years ago.

Fascinating.

Maggie

Old 11-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #3335
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Saved...had an email from my yard guys this morning that they will be here today to get the leaves in the back, and to do a final mow.

I was seriously dreading hauling a truck load of leaves from the back to the front, but was going to make myself do it, and not nag them to do something they had agreed to take care of....like some other things, chronically, which is why I have hired a new service beginning next year.

I just don't need the aggravation, and my sense of loyalty to these guys has diminished.

Yes, of course, I have talked with them...that's what I do...and I wish them well, but they can continue to cut their teeth on other customers.

Instead of hauling leaves, I will trim some bushes and clean out other areas that were going to be put on the back burner...perhaps not to get done at all til the spring.

One of the things I have absolutely held my own feet to the fire on for decades is doing what I say I am going to do...professionally, in family and personal..even casual...relationships.

Following thru was part of becoming a real adult for me...flawed tho I am , I try very hard to be a good person.

Needless to say, that is also a characteristic I value most in others...tho it seems to be the exception rather than the rule with most people.

If you don't intend to follow thru, why offer, or say you're going to do something? How hard is that?

Being a person of your word is part of what defines you, and your very character, in my opinion.

Why would one not want to be a person of their word. It's important.

Sun is shining, for now...going to make hay.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #3336
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Amen, we value that also.

The road is paved with good intentions. But good intentions and follow thru is best.

Some examples from my life are:

Make a contracting type of appointment, taking a V day at work and then they are a no show no call....life gets crazy but call me please to cancel.

Saying you are bringing something to a gathering then you show up with nothing or don't show up at all. Call me, I'll run to the store and get it.

Failing to RSVP and showing up with 8 people. I'm glad to see you but am trying to plan ahead for amounts of food and seating.

Life😚.....

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #3337
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, Hittenstiehl.

Maturation comes very late to some, or not at all....then there are others who simply choose to take advantage.

I am aghast at those who show up at potlucks, sometimes with extra guests via kids/grandkids/friends, without making a contribution to same.

I was at a large gathering this past year, where the potluck tables should have been groaning with food...instead, what dishes had been brought were scraped clean, and pickings were slim for those not toward the front of the very, very long lines.

What?!? Were you raised by wolves?!?

On a more positive note, all of my flowering shrubs have now been cut back, and their beds cleaned out, so once the guys are done this afternoon I should have a fairly neat and tidy yard.

The far back still needs some attention, but there is time yet for that.

I am talking with a couple of landscapers, including the one I hired for next year, about replacing all my borders next year with large river rock.

Cobblestone, it's called, they tell me.

I love the looks of it, think it will be beautiful with my siding, and it reminds me of beloved places we have been in the Interstate that I will eventually no longer be able to travel to.

Fact...tho I would like to think I have 10 or more travel years yet.

My hope is that the Interstate lasts as long as I do.

Life is not perfect, but I have much to be grateful for.

Yes, 'tis true.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3761.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	275806  
Old 11-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #3338
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Those rocks are pretty and will blend nicely with the run off spout areas you created.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #3339
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think they will look nice.

Been cooking a bit today, in preparation for tomorrow....have a loaf of bread setting, to bake in the morning, and made Martha Stewart's Pecan Bars in lieu of the usual pecan pie..much less quantity, overall, which seems to make sense.

Also have been immersed in ancestry.com since yesterday ...kind of like crochet, once one is in, it is hard to stop. After awhile, you just have to put it down.

Did do some serious sleuthing and nailed down a few names on the branch with the black hole, tho some of that will almost certainly always remain a mystery...them that know the answers and directions to go are dead or ain't talkin'.

However, later vital records contain a great deal of information, if one has the time to go digging.

Rainy and chilly out, so I have good reason not to be tackling the far back, and have kept a low fire going all day.

Have a good Holiday, y'all.

Maggie
Old 11-24-2016, 06:07 AM   #3340
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Good holiday to you also, Maggie. Pet Lily for me.

Blackie and I are camped in my daughter's driveway--full hookups, no less. Serious cooking began yesterday. Good eating this afternoon. More family coming in. All good fun.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #3341
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Happy Thanksgiving - Maggie and all.

Bud

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #3342
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Happy Thansgiving to you & Lily! Warm & sunny here today so going for a drive to Edisto beach after lunch.

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #3343
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Have a wonderful holiday everyone!!!! from the stormy, pouring down rain, windy Oregon coast... ahhh, but I have a wood stove!!! Life is good... be thankful...xoxoxo
Old 11-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #3344
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mimi, sounds like a good day for you, and great you can be with family.

Bud, Lily's shedding is strikingly less so....hope you have had a good day.

Jane....you're at Edisto Beach on Thanksgiving...I'm so jealous.

I will be there in a few months, will relish and cherish every moment.

Rain is one of the things Oregon does well, but being warm and dry and safe and healthy...many can't imagine having one bit of that, so being thankful is the right way to look at it, Gail.

Sweet son came to pick up Lily and I this morning....I, the Grandma who brought a few homemade things, and a bottle of wine.

I liked it.

Made Emma a scarf she had requested while there, and took orders from the boys for new hats.

A good day, a relaxing day, and a low stress day.

I liked it.

Maggie
Old 11-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #3345
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. There is so much in life to be thankful for.

a nice sunrise here this morning...confused as to why anyone would call it a black friday.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #3346
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi, Vince.

Yep, much to be thankful for.

I refuse to go out shopping among the hordes on Black Friday...but am not averse to some online purchases for the grands next month, like Lands End tops at 40% off.

What's a good Grandma to do, but pick up some quality items at great prices.

The day after Thanksgiving for me has traditionally been the day to put out holiday decorations, tho it becomes increasingly difficult to drag myself to that...especially since this year I am taking the grands to the great-hotel-with-pool for two nights, rather than have them here at the little house.

They are too big, house is too small for indoor play for young'uns that size in bitter cold weather...last year some things got broken, and I decided it was time for a good energy outlet that is still time together and with Grandma.

Love them babies, but....important to be realistic.

So, no holiday gatherings here, and the kids wont be spending a few days...hard to get excited about decorating, but I'm going to pull the traditional things out, get a fresh wreath for the front door, and just do it.

Started my Friday with another item I've been baking for decades...my kids are made of these, too.

Oatmeal Scones

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda

Mix together in bowl, cut in 1/2 cup cold butter til crumbly.

Mix in 3/4 cup buttermilk just til the dough holds together, and pat into a circle about 1/2" thick on a griddle, skillet, etc., that can go in the oven.

Cut into wedges and bake at 400 degrees 12-15 minutes, separating the wedges about 10 minutes in to finish. Voila!

These are great with butter and a drizzle of honey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3838.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	275922