Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2017, 05:17 AM   #4661
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
All through the dreaming and planning stages, I've wondered if I would actually like it when I got inside and walked around in there. I do like it!

The outside will be faced in white "Austin" stone on the front and driveway sides (meets the neighborhood restrictions for a certain percentage of brick or stone). I'll have a fireplace for the few cold days they get in that part of the state (not enough cold to invest in a wood stove), a small kitchen for when I take a notion to cook, and a separate study so the ever present clutter on my desk can be confined out of view.

The hangar will have a huge "carport" lean-to on the side next to the house. That's for the Airstream, the truck and the car. My "three-legged-children" will have a nice hangar space with a hydraulic door that opens with the push of a button, and I'll have a workshop for whatever I choose to tinker with.

Can't wait to move in.

The hangar should be finished early next month, and then we'll start moving "stuff." Real furniture will follow when the house is ready.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:28 AM   #4662
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It sounds like it will be just what you wanted, Mimi, and I think a fireplace is a great plan.

You can set something decorative in it for the off season...

I have a small, roll top desk, so my clutter can also be confined out of view.

Maggie
Old 10-11-2017, 06:12 AM   #4663
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Next step for the fireplace is to choose a mantel.

In the small town of Valley Mills, TX, between here and my new place on Highway 6, there's a sawmill that cuts decorative mantels out of native woods--mesquite, cedar, oak, whatever falls off trees. I stopped once for a quick look, and there's some beautiful wood in there. Now I know the length I need, so the next stop will be for serious shopping.

The fireplace surround will be made of the same stone as the exterior of the house, and I think a native wood mantel will look great with that.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:25 AM   #4664
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A native wood mantle sounds gorgeous, and something that will make you smile and warm your heart every time you look at it.

Doug’s daughter had a large, rectangular table made of native wood for their new house, and it is not only beautiful but so very unique, one of a kind.

Your dream home, coming true.

I had to look up Austin stone...is this your color?

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80900852-B5FB-4721-9908-88322A7594ED.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	296697  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:31 AM   #4665
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia

Love the bag (and the message) Maggie.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:32 AM   #4666
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi, FaN, and thanks for dropping in!

Maggie
Old 10-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #4667
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gerard and Laura will be in today, and we’re off to Moraine View tomorrow til Sunday.

I have the Interstate back, after its roof sealing, and it looks quite nice....hopefully this will protect it for years to come, and I really like this independent shop just a mile or so from me.

I need a knowledgeable auto person, someone I can learn to trust, and an individual with their own business may prove to be a much better option than “employees”.

Going to have them at least annually take a good look at everything, tho I don’t believe they can do any service as their bays are not large enough. And, that’s okay, as I have Peterbilt for that.

I’ve ordered a new AC cover, as the original one has a couple of cracks in it, and they are going to put it on for me after I pick it up next week...Airstream of Chicago sold me one from their Dometic stock, and told me how to paint it as they do, with cans of silver spray paint.

Too large to ship, I will make a run to Naperville to get it on Monday and stop at Trader Joe’s on the way back...any excuse for TJ’s.

Weather has cooled off a bit, and we’re looking at nice weather for the weekend.

Maggie
Old 10-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #4668
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Airstream of Chicago sold me one from their Dometic stock, and told me how to paint it as they do, with cans of silver spray paint.
Good move. Barring accidents with low-hanging tree limbs, most air conditioning shrouds give up the ghost due to UV degradation. Painting the shroud will do more to preserve it than anything else you could do, because painting provides UV protection.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #4669
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I had to look up Austin stone...is this your color?

Yep, that's it.

I need a knowledgeable auto person, someone I can learn to trust, and an individual with their own business may prove to be a much better option ...

I agree completely.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #4670
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nearly perfect weather at Moraine View this weekend, with just a few sprinkles Saturday and no serious rain until last night.

We had very mild temps, til this morning when it was 49 degrees, windy, and spitting rain which felt like it could turn to snow.

It will soon be time for the first fire in the woodstove of the season...

My son and his boys settled into a lakeside site vacated by someone who had to cancel, and it was perfect for them...but that their tent was pitched at the apparent access point for the plentiful geese in the area.

The first night, much geese activity all night long, in and out of the water and quacking loudly as geese do, but last nights storm kept the geese away and everyone got a much better nights sleep.

I am very proud of my not-an-outdoorsman son, who cooked over an open fire, took the boys fishing and out on the lake in kayaks...getting it all done, and well, and making a wonderful weekend for his boys.

This was I believe the third time they had been out with the tent, and I provided only minimal, adjunct services.

The Interstate goes to the body shop for a couple of small garf repairs this week , and next we will hopefully take a few last days out before winterizing and putting the baby to bed for a couple of months.

I’m ready for serious fall weather...

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1802F383-BEF9-4DF3-9D29-5323C9E9008A.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	297054  
Old 10-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #4671
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I love this...I need it poster-sized, and someplace where I can read it every day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	52E56133-B80C-4108-8CA9-1AF2EEFF712D.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	297055  
Old 10-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #4672
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
That needs to be the size of a billboard visible from the interstate highway....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #4673
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Like that?

How bout this one?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	60EE1151-3E2B-4E24-9D87-165FBA2B92F3.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	297061  
Old 10-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #4674
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And this one?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	48828931-4CB5-4533-8ABB-1BCA73F51D46.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	297062  
Old 10-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #4675
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Last one...

Someone who knows me very well sent me these.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	466FC90B-C16A-4C88-8336-0ADB28CA7038.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	297063  
Old 10-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #4676
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ummm, one more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19DD6D5A-8C5C-45AB-99C6-AEF393163D4A.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	297064  
Old 10-15-2017, 06:12 PM   #4677
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
I love this...I need it poster-sized, and someplace where I can read it every day.
Amen. I can relate to that. Very applicable for me at this point in time. Oh well.

Hope you girls are doing well. Been MIA for quite a while due to heavy work schedule all summer & fall. . Our first camping trip of the year at Devils Fork SP next week. Can't wait!

Hugs to Lily.

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #4678
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I wish that I could give this to my ex-girlfriend. Her current boyfriend is more than toxic, but she hasn't realized it yet. She's still wondering "Why is this happening to me?" She doesn't understand that every time he kicks her out and she goes back to him, every time he knocks her around and she stays with him, every time he steals from her to buy drugs and she lets it slide, she's just giving him permission to do it again. And when I try to point it out to her, her response is "Don't pressure me!"

Sadly, only the victim can press criminal charges against the victimizer; no one can do it for her. I would press charges against him on her behalf if only I could. But as long as she's more concerned about protecting him from the inevitable consequences of his evil self-destructive life, and less concerned about protecting herself from being his victim, she'll always be his victim. It's heartbreaking to watch. Is it wrong to pray that he dies of an overdose and puts himself out of everyone's misery?
Old 10-15-2017, 07:04 PM   #4679
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitique View Post
Amen. I can relate to that. Very applicable for me at this point in time. Oh well.

Hope you girls are doing well. Been MIA for quite a while due to heavy work schedule all summer & fall. . Our first camping trip of the year at Devils Fork SP next week. Can't wait!

Hugs to Lily.

Jane
Hi Jane, and good to hear from you.

Sorry work is getting you down, but I hope your trip to beautiful Devils Fork SP will give you some respite.

These quotes arrived at a good time for me...it is always good to be reminded that one’s experiences are so common to the human experience that people you’ve never met can write about them, and nail them on the head.

Other people’s words...they can and do impart strength and perspective, when one is otherwise struggling to find them.

Maggie
Old 10-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #4680
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I wish that I could give this to my ex-girlfriend. Her current boyfriend is more than toxic, but she hasn't realized it yet. She's still wondering "Why is this happening to me?" She doesn't understand that every time he kicks her out and she goes back to him, every time he knocks her around and she stays with him, every time he steals from her to buy drugs and she lets it slide, she's just giving him permission to do it again. And when I try to point it out to her, her response is "Don't pressure me!"

Sadly, only the victim can press criminal charges against the victimizer; no one can do it for her. I would press charges against him on her behalf if only I could. But as long as she's more concerned about protecting him from the inevitable consequences of his evil self-destructive life, and less concerned about protecting herself from being his victim, she'll always be his victim. It's heartbreaking to watch. Is it wrong to pray that he dies of an overdose and puts himself out of everyone's misery?
Yes, it’s wrong, but I understand the thought.

We can’t save people from themselves, and when you’ve done what you can sometimes it is best to disengage...lest you become part of the cycle.

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »