Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #4521
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've had this near obsession for years, of reading about the Holocaust, and have just finished this very, very excellent read....one of the best I have found.

https://www.amazon.com/German-Suitca...y+greg+dinallo

I have to pace myself with these books, as they are absolutely gut-wrenching to read...historical fiction, or true stories of survivors and/or those who saved them, there are no words to adequately describe the horrors of this time, nor what madmen are capable of doing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5248.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	292108  
Old 08-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #4522
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. My own mother and her mum were in Vienna, Austria during the worst of it. Plus under the allied bombings and the Russian invasions. Some stories are hair-raising, other events are unspoken to this day...

Very strange times.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #4523
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Same thing happened to me with the bees... pulling weeds.. must have got too close to their nest... but I only got 3 stings... and they HURT!!!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #4524
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, they hurt badly enough Sunday evening that I took Tylenol before I went to bed, now on an antihistamine because of the crazy itching.

I'll survive.

We headed for the Poconos yesterday morning and are in the Delaware Water Gap til Thursday...an area Doug & I camped in with Lily some years back, with some other Airstreamers.

No signal of any kind in the campground, but it can be found nearby.

This campground has also been privatized, or "concessionaire", and I was shocked at what has happened to the rates.

These are for the first four people, after that a $9 per day surcharge per adult over 12, $7 per day for children under 12:

Forest Tent Campsite
$40.00

RV Water & 20 Amp Electric
$42.00

RV Water & 50/30 Amp Electric
$44.00

Riverfront Tent Campsite
$52.00

Group Campsite (Up to 40 People)
$160 (covers first 20 camper min.)

They have added a couple of bathhouses, which is very nice, but still...how could your average young family afford to camp here for the weekend.

I believe W/E sites were around $12 or $14 when we were here last, 50% off with the Golden Age Passport....maybe it's all part and parcel of so many baby boomers out there traveling in RV's. It's disappointing.

Roads are fairly level, sites are heavily treed and shaded, and one can walk down to the Delaware River, so we will enjoy ourselves and Lily will catch up on her rest...

Maggie
Old 08-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #4525
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning you two.. I'm sure you're having fun..just no wifi.. miss the posts... enjoy the day!! Hugs and love from the soon to be very crowded Oregon coast...
Old 08-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #4526
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are out of the woods and back at DD’s house as of this morning, after a quiet stay in the DWG.

Very few other campers, as would be expected mid-week, and that is okay.

Nothing exciting to report….Lily got lots of romps, did some bike riding, lots of reading, and cooked country style ribs between my Instant Pot and Son of Hibachi. Yum.

Met a nice couple this morning who are out for their first trip in a 2001 Coachmen BVan....lots of questions and sharing of information. They are excited and I was happy to share...we all help each other out there.

Checked my coolant the other day, and it was low, tho the light on the dash had not come on. The first time I have needed to add coolant since this issue began a month or so ago.

And so, I have an appointment Friday morning at the MB dealer in Wappinger Falls, who serviced the Interstate when I was up here over the winter….they will check it out, and do an oil & filter change.

Stopped at a Blue Beacon west of Newburgh on the way in, where the driver's side door handle that has been sticking but seemed to be doing better...snapped.

So, I have a small list for the service guys in the morning.

This BB had an undercarriage wash, so treated the Interstate to that....they do such an excellent job, removing some stuck bits of something way up on the windshield that have been there for awhile and coating with RainX. Love Blue Beacon.

We are back in the land of signal, so I'm looking forward to catching up on posts here, news , etc., etc.

Maggie
Old 08-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #4527
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIR1 View Post
Good morning you two.. I'm sure you're having fun..just no wifi.. miss the posts... enjoy the day!! Hugs and love from the soon to be very crowded Oregon coast...
And to you, Miss Gail.

Enjoy the eclipse, and the crowds.

Maggie
Old 08-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #4528
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Checked my coolant the other day, and it was low, tho the light on the dash had not come on. The first time I have needed to add coolant since this issue began a month or so ago.

Congratulations Maggie! You're learning!

Ask your MB dealer if they can put some fluorescent stuff in your coolant and use a UV light to find the leak. Most shops have that technology these days. Leads them right to the problem.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #4529
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Mimi, and I will ask about that.

I am able to get the hood popped open in just a few seconds these days...

How's the house build coming?

Maggie
Old 08-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #4530
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The house build is well underway. The foundation is poured and framing should be starting. After a bit of mixup and delay, I think the hangar is going OK also. They plan to pour the concrete for that a week from tomorrow. I'm going to drive down there mid-week to check things out.

Glad you've conquered the hood latch. Now, for the next challenge, grab a fistful of paper towels and get someone to teach you how to check the oil.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #4531
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ummm, check the oil???

Whyever would I need to do that.

I go in regularly for oil and filter changes, and have no intention of taking that on myself....Doug didn't even do that.

I appreciate the suggestion, tho.

Maggie
Old 08-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #4532
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Nonetheless, it is a handy skill....for diagnosing unexpected low oil pressure lights, for one. Mimi is right on.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #4533
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Spent the morning at the MB dealership in Wappinger Falls...the 02 sensor was bad, thus the engine light on, so that was replaced ; did my O & F change, and ordered a new air filter to be installed next week; re-attached the cable for the door handle, which was not broken but separated; and determined that the leak of coolant I've been experiencing is a slow one from the radiator seams.

Can't be fixed, must be replaced @ around $1600.00, which did not excite me and which they said could wait until it becomes worse...so advised regular checks of coolant and topping it off to keep things running for awhile longer.

188,000+ miles...care and maintenance keeps her running, and me able to continue to enjoy the privilege of travel.

I really like this dealership...they are very warm, highly professional and user-friendly...brought the mechanic out twice to talk with me about what he was finding, and get the ok to proceed.

The best part of the morning was the long conversation I had in the waiting area with a very, very nice man who had his Winnebago Class C on a Sprinter chassis in for work....a native of upstate NY, now living in Utah near one son and visiting another who lives in New Windsor.

Married 57 years to his high school sweetheart, they had 5 children of their own and fostered many, many others in New York in the 80's and 90's.

We shared stories of kids and of the system, group living vs the instability of foster care, state bureaucracies and politics ....also of genealogy and DNA surprises. A nice man.

Lots of dog lovers there, so Lily got lots of attention....she's starved for it, dontcha know .

Going to hang out here and make myself useful until I take my cabin rental north of here....a week from tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 08-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #4534
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have realized that, with these last few extended weekends at DD's, I have spent more concentrated time with her than I have since she headed off to college more than 20 years ago....it's been good.

We dug some holes and put some plants in this morning, then took the pups to the forest to rip and run and play in the water...they have become best-est buddies, and Lily has taught Lenny how to play tug of war with a toy.

Seriously, she showed him and taught him.

If this picture looks like they were playing very close to me, that is because that is a bit of my leg you can see there on the lower left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5263.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	292686  
Old 08-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #4535
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
An excellent book...

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/the...lickid=3x24167
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #4536
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Engines get older, just like we do. As that happens, they sometimes need a bit of oil added between changes. By the time the low oil pressure light is on, damage is already likely. A check of the oil quantity at regular intervals can prevent that.

And, trust me, it's easy.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #4537
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Precisely the situation. The warning lights simply tell you it's too late to prevent the problem.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:44 AM   #4538
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ok, I will learn how to check the oil...and do it.

Maggie
Old 08-20-2017, 04:48 AM   #4539
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Ok, I will learn how to check the oil...and do it.
The trick isn't to just check the oil level. Also check the oil color and consistency. Water/coolant mixed in the oil indicates a leaking gasket in the engine (unless you had to drive through floodwaters). Metal particles in the oil indicate excessive wear. If the oil suddenly starts looking lighter in color and feels sticky like wet varnish, that's an indication that the oil has overheated and needs to be changed. And so forth. Oil analysis by look and feel isn't an exact science, but you can tell a lot about the engine just by checking the oil.

But the easy thing to remember is, if the oil on the dipstick starts looking different from usual, something is wrong. You don't have to remember what symptom goes to what problem, just as long as you know there's a problem and can take the van to an expert.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #4540
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Duly noted... and thanks, y'all, for lookin' out for me.

Maggie