Old 10-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #3151
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Wow!!! That's a loot of of sand!! Your beach was on the weather channel today too... yes, what a mess....

Old 10-12-2016, 06:27 AM   #3152
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've been following the Edisto PD facebook page, which has posted a lot of pictures for displaced residents, and it looks like the houses along Palmetto Blvd have had their beachfront washed away.

They have gotten some arial photos, with helicopters and drones, which show the extent of the storms effect on the island.

We rented one of these houses for a week 5 years or so ago, and took the kids and grands out there. The children had never seen the ocean.

It was the best week of our lives.

Nearly all of those houses are standing and relatively intact, but a couple have been smashed to smithereens, and water is lapping at the footings of the rest.

In addition to all the sand, there is floodwater from the storm surge still standing within the town of Edisto Beach.

The city has a gofundme page, for hurricane relief donations, the money collected will be funneled thru an existing non profit there. If I lived closer, I would do more...

Flooding is also threatening to wash away entire communities in an area of North Carolina, and the floodwaters haven't yet crested. Water levels reminiscent of Katrina and New Orleans.

I am sad for all of those affected, and touched by the facebook posts about people's love for Edisto....I understand, it is a very special place.

Maggie

Old 10-13-2016, 06:11 AM   #3153
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Lumberton, NC where I've been a number of times and my brother was Chief Engineer for a Nuke Plant near by is under water and the worst will come on Friday. Simply devastating and not much media coverage as i'ts not New York, DC or California.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:13 AM   #3154
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm seeing the Lumberton and surrounding area flooding covered on NBC, Bud , my favorite news source....helicopters pulling people off rooftops, thru windows, etc....just an incredible, widespread mass of floodwaters.

It's difficult for me to imagine experiencing the scope of something like that, tho storms and devastation in one's life can take many forms.

I made a decision late yesterday to cancel at Moraine View this weekend.

Some things you need to sit up and pay attention to, and I did.

Will see them all in June.

I am doing well condensing down errands and visits with others, to avoid excess miles put on the Interstate while it is my sole vehicle, and the next big transition will be when I winterize and put it into storage for a couple of months.

There will then be no vehicle in my driveway...but for one difficult year in the 80's...for the first time since 1972.

I'm going to walk where I can, rent when I need to, use Uber when that seems most feasible, save for another vehicle, and see how it goes.

My sweet son is also just a mile away...

It just makes more and more sense, when I can have use of my Interstate all but a few months out of the year.

We'll see.

Maggie
Old 10-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #3155
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
While in the USAF I was stationed in Mississippi on the coast. We went thru Hurricane Camille. Long story but I was not assigned to but due to my career training volunteered (always a bad choice in the military) to assist Search and Rescue unit assigned on the base. I was a Combat Controller and TI. We rescued over 400 families and their pets, against orders, from houses, roof tops et al.

Still look back on the strength of those rescued with awe, very brave and tough people. Took a long time but the coast re-built.

Good decision on the car in my opinion.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #3156
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning there... can you use your bike for some errands... just a thought... I did that eons ago in California... but the town was small and totally flat... easy to get around...
The weather here is supposed to be big storms for a few days. Windy.. gusts to 80??? We'll see... enjoy the day..hugs and love... gail
Old 10-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #3157
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gail,

20-30 years ago, I could and did ride my bike to work some days, and for errands....I used to ride it all over the place... but the roads to anywhere here are very, very busy these days, and the road my street is off of has become an especially busy, main thoroughfare.

It would be considered high-risk behavior.

So, not a good idea, but I can walk to a good grocer, Walgreen's, even Starbucks if I choose to...they are all in the same area, a mile or so from me.

Maggie
Old 10-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #3158
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Yeah Starbucks!!!!!
Old 10-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #3159
Rivet Master

Maggie, my heart goes out to you as you see the devastation to an area , Edisto, that caries such poignant memories for you. The damage to the entire portions of the east coast is very tragic. I can see why folks want to live there, but, for the occasional hurricane.

On the subject of car vs no car...both discussions are certainly relevant. As for me, I take much comfort in knowing that come whatever, my vehicle is there. I do consolidate my errands, and there are certain times that life throws a curve, and I need to get somewhere now....and the idea that I should need to depend on some stranger to get me there right away...not for me. Even if it must be a very basic type of vehicle , better than being without, IMO. But, that's just me. I don't like being dependent on others....for anything! Ever! I do hope that you are able to do what is best for you.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #3160
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's been hard to watch the devastation, but they will rebuild, and it's all part of life in a coastal area.

I'm really not far from anything essential, and many people live without vehicles in this and other cities with plenty of public transportation, so it seems a good thing to try, for a couple of reasons.

I know that I can afford to buy another vehicle at any time, if I decide that's what I want to do, so it's kind of a self-selected experiment.

Maggie
Old 10-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #3161
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've had several pm's about cancelling Moraine View...so out of character for me.

When the Xfinity guy was here on Monday, I moved and cleaned some things around and near my woodstove, and really did a number on my sinuses.

I am a very good housekeeper , but there were some things on top of my entertainment center in the corner that hadn't been removed and cleaned since woodstove season ended....they are close to the ceiling and there was a good amount of dust sitting on them.

Been having that sinus ache ever since, and yesterday was actually feeling a bit ill.

I decided I needed to stay home and out of any chill, push fluids and get it over with before I developed a fever and a real mess....which has happened before, but not in many years.

I still have that broad spectrum antibiotic the doctor gave me last year, and if I develop a fever I will take it.

So, I am puttering inside, drinking lots of tea and made some soup.

It seemed the right thing to do....take care of me.

Maggie
Old 10-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #3162
Rivet Master

Yes, soup, especially chicken soup is always good for what ails you! Hope you feel better soon. ? Antihistamine, may be helpful. Claritin, Zyrtec, maybe. MD appointment, also recommended. With old dust inhaled, you may be in line for a sinus infection. Take care of yourself! Good luck.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #3163
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Evelyn.

I started on an antihistamine this am.

No need for an MD at this point...and, my intention is to get no worse.

Maggie
Old 10-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #3164
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This from the Edisto PD Facebook page late yesterday....it's a start.

"We are excited to have everyone return to our "little piece of heaven" tomorrow. Crews have been working hard to get to this point. The power is restored in town, the water is on, and most of the roads are clear. "

The State Park is closed, and all reservations for the beach campground cancelled thru the end of December, tho they are hoping to have parts of the Live Oaks campground and cabins opened in about a month.

All those beautiful trees, so much damage...

Flooding has not yet crested in parts of North Carolina, with large areas already completely under water.

I remember us heading to far western NC, I believe it was, getting out of the way of the hurricane that hit in 2012, I think. Even that far inland, we had torrential rains and high winds, but were in a bit of elevation so no flooding.

I felt a spot in my sinuses kind of "pop" yesterday, as swelling receded a bit...still no fever, just pressure, so I am hopefully on the mend.

Maggie