Old 09-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #2997
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Tommie.

I have read your musings here on potential Interstate ownership, which would be quite a change in travel lifestyle for you.

Wherever would you stash your espresso machine?

That said, I couldn't love my Interstate more.

Go anywhere, park (almost) anywhere, the flexibility of small luxury travel is undeniable.

And, having your house on your back, if it's raining all you have to do is park and step to the back, and you are ready to go with all the necessities of life.

I won't be at Alumalina, will be at the Moraine View rally 20 minutes from my house.

Travel safe.

Maggie

Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #2998
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Catching up on the news...more shootings, bombings, fellow citizens driven to violence walking here among us...what a world we are living in today.

"the hardest and most common cause of radicalization in the United States, when personal demons morph into ideologically driven violence."

I found the above words exactly on point.

I have just finished another, first person account, book on the Holocaust..."The Nazi Officer's Wife", by Edith Hahn-Beer.

Excellent.

Maggie

Old 09-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #2999
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The really lovely little city park campground in Twin Falls doesn't have a dump station, but the city itself offers a free one just a couple of miles away, so I headed there this morning for my first emptying of tanks since my new valve was installed last Friday.

I can no longer get my sewer hose connected...there just isn't room, it won't go on, no way, no how, not going to happen.

Tanks being full, it was fortunate for me that this was one of those extremely hospitable dump stations with a sloping cement pad and sewer opening that was flush with the ground......so, I got as close as I could, and slowly opened the valves to empty, then flushing and cleaning the area with the available hose.

No solids, no toilet paper, cleaned up nicely, so not too bad.

Will stop at the first RV repair place I find and see what they can do...if I could remove the plastic encasing the connector, that might help, but then how would I attach it firmly.

To be resolved....

I did find an open bicycle shop here, and the young man there is putting puncture proof inner tubes on both tires, also going to give it a good going over, grease and tend to anything that needs it while in there...and, I can pick it up by noon today.

So, I have taken myself out for breakfast at a little diner here, the Depot Grill.

In addition to other recent signs of healing and deepening strength in widowhood, I have eaten out by myself several times this trip, without tears coming immediately to my eyes at the notable absence of sweet hubby sitting across from me.

I see the country fried steak on the menu, a favorite of his, and know that is probably what he would order.

Sigh.

We're doing okay, LIly and I...missing him, but trying to live life and hoping there are many more travel years yet to come...still in the shadow of what used to be, but the sky is getting more clear every day.

Movement forward is a good thing.

Maggie
Old 09-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #3000
Rivet Master

Maggie, in my estimation, you are doing a great job of "moving forward on your own".... Your solo self and miss Lily! Keep up the good work.

As for me, I arrived home yesterday afternoon, none the worse for wear. Goliath has served me well. He is, however, due for his first oil change. $$$, I am sure!

Mikki was glad to be home...immediately re-established her Alfa self to the little pack at home. Funny, they began doing a very harmonious wolf pack howl last night...led by Mikki. Deb said that's the first time they have done that since just before we left.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip, but, it is good to be home. More trips in our future. Next year.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #3001
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you're home safe, Evelyn.

Maggie
Old 09-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #3002
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Here's hoping that all your valve connection needs is a new, slightly more flexible sewer hose. Adding that to the list of things for me to check if we ever have work done there - does the hose still fit? (I would never have though to check that!)

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #3003
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I believe the connector still fits, there just isn't enough room to actually get it on. This sewer hose is new this year, and was expensive, IMO.

It has plenty of flexibility, it's the plastic frame around the hose connector that is the problem under there.

I had the thought that a semi circle cut out of some something having to do with the underbody, that is hanging down near there, will give me sufficient room to get it on.

It's a rather bizarre design flaw, how the sewer connection is placed on the 2006 model.....the installed opening faces outwards and towards the bumper, but you have to reach up under the bumper and then maneuver and angle the hose connector on.

If that is as clear as mud, you'd just have to see it to understand.

Picked my bike up and headed to another city park in Hayburn today, as I no longer felt like driving on to the PA campground I had selected near Ogden, UT....and this CP is right on the Snake River.

Another pretty, grassy, reasonably priced and well maintained park....this one with wifi and showers.

Maggie
Old 09-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #3004
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Sorry for the trouble, hope the next RV place can help with that.

Glad you're out for a nice bike ride, always a good idea when the weather cooperates.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #3005
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Catching up on the news...more shootings, bombings, fellow citizens driven to violence walking here among us...what a world we are living in today.

"the hardest and most common cause of radicalization in the United States, when personal demons morph into ideologically driven violence."

I found the above words exactly on point.

I have just finished another, first person account, book on the Holocaust..."The Nazi Officer's Wife", by Edith Hahn-Beer.

Excellent.

Maggie
Thank you, Maggie, for awakening me to The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust, by Edith Hahn Beer and Susan Dworkin.

I just started watching the documentary, "The Nazi Officer's Wife," which is especially moving after watching "Defying The Nazis: The Sharps' War," a Ken Burns film shown on PBS last evening.

Bill

The Nazi Officer's Wife
Old 09-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #3006
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's a really good book, one of many on Holocaust survivors and those that helped them, that have really touched me.

Such extraordinary hardship and fear, we simply cannot imagine it.

Edith Hahn-Beer refers to herself and others in hiding during that time....actually or in plain sight, as she was....as "U-boats", which is the first time I have heard that term used to describe these individuals.

Maggie
Old 09-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #3007
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
How are you locating all those little city parks? (maybe you've said, but I've slept since then....!)
Paula

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #3008
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The AllStays app shows them as "cp".

There was a large metal poster in the bicycle shop with this on it.

So true.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	272135  
Old 09-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #3009
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I also like this one...

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 09-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #3010
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
hi Maggie!! Looks like there's some "weather" near your home area... rain and such... probably be all gone when you get there... enjoying the journey... keep having fun!! Hugs and love to you both...