Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #401
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Is Chaco one of those canyons which has flash flooding? If so, please keep an eye on the weather -- but I'm certain you already do that.

Speaking of Lily keeping an eye on your preparations for the upcoming trip......our doodle, Cooper, does the same thing. Even if it's only a local trip in the car, he gets so excited and prances around. If I'm getting ready to go, he knows if he sees my hair in curlers/if I'm carrying my handbag/have changed my clothes/or smells cologne. If he thinks he won't get to go, he'll even put himself into our sunroom (where he stays for short term if not allowed to go along) & stand there looking for us to close the door. If he was wrong in guessing that he couldn't go, he prances, seems to smile, & goes over to where his leash hangs to wait for it to be put onto him. He is most definitely the most intelligent dog either of us has known. We love him as much as he does us.

I can't wait to read about your trip out West!

Deb

Ps -- it's very hot & humid here in Ohio too, but today the sun was out! Hurray! I ran the weed wacker & mowed until it began raining. The sun is back out so I think I'll go out & finish mowing.
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #402
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Chaco Canyon is a National Historic Park.....of ancient Indian ruins that you can just walk thru and amongst......no fences.

My son and his have a family reunion on her side on Sunday, so I'm going to have the kids here with me Saturday, take them home that evening, and then leave Sunday morning instead of Monday.

Not going to rush, going to poke along, check out some COE and other federal sites along the way, and not go any farther south....in July! ..... than I must. I will post pictures along the way.

Got some mulch down around my newly exposed shrubs in the back yard this am, which will hold them til the big wood pile is moved this fall and I can think about some edging of some sort.

Tomorrow......final cleaning of the Interstate.

Maggie
Old 06-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #403
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Interstate is clean and tidy, and smells remarkably better now that the large quantities of dog hair have been vacuumed out from under the benches.

Going to make later this week a run out to the county park near here, to use their dump station hose to give my black tank a good cleaning. It's time. Then, it will be ready to go.

Starting to put clothes together for my trip, and bought a Pocket Earth app for the IPad this morning that allows downloading of maps of countries, states or cities which can then be accessed offline.

Very helpful when you have poor or no signal, as I did sometimes this winter, when I found myself wandering and trying to get my bearings. I still carry an atlas, but it is stuck away, and I want something handier and simpler.....like an inexpensive app.

I am marking each change in route, as in a sharp turn or onto a different highway, also public and PA campgrounds along that route.

Navigating and driving has been a challenge in widowhood. This past year, I travelled plotting a course each day, deciding how for I would drive and where I wanted to stay, switching back and forth between Maps, Allstays and Passport America.

I can do the same thing with this app, just combining beforehand potential stays with my marked route, so that I have less daily "looking" to do each morning, and a better "visual".

I like simple things that help me be organized ......a bit too much, Doug would say.

I would then tell him, one of us has to be organized.

Maggie
Old 06-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #404
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My daughter has been making this coffee, loves it, and I finally tried it.

It is delicious, and easy. Stores in the frig to mix with, for me, milk for a cold latte. Yum.

This makes strong coffee, perfect for iced or a latte.

Will be great for dry camping in hot weather, for lots of reasons.

SARA'S COLD BREW COFFEE

4 cups cold water
1 cup good ground coffee

Mix, cover, and let stand 18-24 hours. Strain, refrigerate.

Maggie
Old 06-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #405
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So, I'm using this new app, to plot trajectory southwest and places to stay along the way.......and, I don't like it, at all .......in fact, I despise it.

The planning part, not the app. The app is great, and downloaded maps are going to be very helpful. I have done that for each state I will travel thru.

The planning, tho, takes too much time, and feels so.....structured. That's no way to travel as a retired person. I remember, now, and very clearly, why we quickly went to planning general trajectory but everything else a day at a time. I like to plan, and to organize.....but, not this.

Some clearly love the minutia, and I have actually known people whose evenings were spent plotting every move for the next day. There's room for all of us here.

Rainy and very humid today. Got birthday gifts sent off to one of the Iowa-grands this morning, and a few things done at the little house.

I am ready to finish loading the Interstate.....and, go.

Maggie
Old 06-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #406
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Lily&Me, I started reading your posts about the rain because my friends and I start almost every conversation with, "When is this rain gonna stop?". We are all in Gulf Coast Texas and we have had entirely too much rain since about February. Then we got slammed Memorial Day weekend then when things somewhat returned to normal we had Tropical Bill to worry about. Believe it or not it was a huge letdown, not for us but for the media. They love a good hurricane. What I really enjoyed reading was your coming back to music that you and your husband enjoyed together, you and I could be twins. Our world seems to be the music we enjoy together. 46 years together and 43 married, just celebrated a week ago. I admire your strength, I fear I would still be in my bed or under it. You write very well and I enjoy reading about your travels. You truly must be a very strong woman.
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #407
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, and congratulations on your 43 years of marriage.

I am one to soldier on thru tough times, deal with my stuff as I go....not too much for puddles and heaps.....at least, not for long. I am of the accept it and deal with it school of thought.....whatever the crisis may bel

I don't know if that is intrinsically me, or if it was born 40 years ago from being a young single parent with two small children.

Although this has been a first for me, I have worked hard at making peace with Doug's death, and trying to go on, because that's what I do and what is best for me.....but I still consciously miss him almost every minute of every single day.

Thank you for your kind words.

Maggie
Old 06-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #408
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I didn't make these yesterday, as it would have been exceedingly difficult to stay out of them til I took them to my son's this afternoon.

Dana's SALTED NUT BARS

1 bag peanut butter chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 1/2 tbsp butter
1 10.5 oz bag miniature marshmallows
1 12-16 oz jar dry roasted peanuts

Microwave chips, milk and butter 30 seconds, stir, microwave about 30 seconds more, just til melted, but not boiling hot.

Add marshmallows and peanuts, stir well and press into buttered 9x13" pan.

Chill, cut into bars. Dana says these are best refrigerated.

Maggie
MMMM those sound pretty good. I guess I'm going to have to see if Olga will whip some up for HER Dana!

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #409
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
My daughter has been making this coffee, loves it, and I finally tried it.

It is delicious, and easy. Stores in the frig to mix with, for me, milk for a cold latte. Yum.

This makes strong coffee, perfect for iced or a latte.

Will be great for dry camping in hot weather, for lots of reasons.

SARA'S COLD BREW COFFEE

4 cups cold water
1 cup good ground coffee

Mix, cover, and let stand 18-24 hours. Strain, refrigerate.

Maggie
Hi Maggie,

I was making cold brew for a while but since my husband doesn't like strong coffee I was heating up two pots of coffee every day. It seemed simpler to go back to making a fresh pot with the French press. Every now and then I wish I had some cold brew to add to my cup for a little more richness. May just start brewing it again. Thanks for reminding me.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #410
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad to give you a little nudge toward self-indulgence.

I am really enjoying it, and think I will especially on a warm morning out in the Interstate.

It should keep in the frig about as well as iced tea would, I would think.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #411
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie!! I am excited about "following" you on this NM trip... it's going to be a great one!!! Hugs and love to you and Mz Lily... gail
Old 06-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #412
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Gail.

Wish you were able to meet me in New Mexico.

I finished this morning plotting out a route to Soccorro, NM, avoiding major highways.

Only a few route changes are needed, as there are fortunately a number of roads that traverse long distances in Missouri, Kansas, etc.

I am really liking this little Pocket Earth app.....especially now that I have simplified my planning intent.

I have one color of little bullets for my route, a different for each change to a different road. What could be simpler?

And, a nice "visual". I like.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #413
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have been meaning to say a few words in praise of orthotic levelers.

I have had mine about a month, now, and they have changed my life.

Gone is the pain in my right hip and back that would make it difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position at night, and many nights wake me up for more Tylenol.

I switch them from the Reebok walkers for outside to a pair of beach shoes in the house.

They had been recommended to me years ago, and I didn't get them because of the cost......finally felt I couldn't afford not to invest in these, and I was right.

No pain, back or hip, and I can walk and walk and walk without discomfort.

Just wanted to share this....it is life, and my thread, so it is okay.

Off to my needlework group today.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2015, 11:41 AM   #414
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Orthotics are worth every penny. Been wearing them now for 8 years. Used to feel like I was walking on a tack embedded in my foot. No more pain.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #415
Rivet Master

Maggie, I happened upon your recent posts re: your trip out west. As usual, I enjoy your writings! Ahh! Chaco canyon! Such a very spiritual place!
My dear daughter , Lynn and I visited there many years ago. Lynn had been diagnosed with terminal breast cancer, and we were on the way to her treatment at Albuquerque, (a last ditch effort to find a cure for her, at, what at that time, was a cutting edge study/ treatment for her type of cancer.)
In her, our, desperation....we had hope. Lynn asked that we go to Chaco prior to the hospital. Even under the dire circumstances....it was an amazing experience. The visit was at a time that was "off season" and the solitude added to the spiritual journey. It seemed almost holy. As we approached the place where Lynn wanted to pray....we rounded a kiva....Lynn was in front....an eagle swooped down low...right in front of her...almost brushing her hair, it was so close. Lynn was sure it must be a sign. We reached the site and sat on the ground and prayed. My prayer was disturbed when Lynn silently grabbed my arm....when I looked up, the eagle sat on a ledge behind Lynn....it appeared to watch Lynn as we sat there in silence.

The experience fortified her as she fought for her life during the months of hellish treatment. She gained a few more months to spend with her young family in Durango. Ironically, an eagle seemed to maintain a vigil for her on top a tall spruce tree....it left when Lynn departed. This was 25 years ago. I still think of those eagle visits and of our visit to Chaco. It still gives me solace. Our minds and our hearts reach out to unusual spaces in the early days of grief....one of life's mysteries, I think.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #416
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm sorry for your loss.

Our minds and hearts do reach out to unusual places, I very much agree.

We are wracked with pain, and desperate for relief.

Whatever comforts you, and gets you through the night....that's where you go.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #417
Rivet Master

Yes, Maggie, you are so right. I told you the story...not to ask for simpathy, rather to partially demonstrate the spiritual nature of Chaco canyon. For us, it was such a spiritual connection, I'm sure, shaded by the circumstances of the time.

I hope you have a treasured experience during your visit. I will probably never visit there again. It would not seem right.

Maggie, I especially , agree with the phrase at end of your posts. So true. Enjoy your trip west....so much beauty to see and appreciate. Travel safely.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #418
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

I didn't think you were asking for sympathy.....but, I wanted to give it. . No parent ever expects to outlive a child. I cannot imagine going thru that.

I have had a few amazing experiences since Doug died. My thought about that Eagle was that it was there for your daughter. It certainly seems that way.

I am looking forward to Chaco, and the Indian ruins Ray speaks of where he is taking us. They know something of spirituality.

I just finished reading "Raven Stole the Moon", a cornerstone of which is Native American spirituality. Not an outstanding book, but an interesting one.

Thank you for your well wishes. Be well, too.

Maggie
Old 06-26-2015, 05:24 AM   #419
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The lady who sits next to me in needlework group told me yesterday that she is going to rent out her condo, buy a Class B motor home, and hit the road.

I have missed the last two sessions, first for Moraine View, then the dentist last week, so she has made this decision since we last talked.

She plans on fulltiming it for the first year, then will reassess whether she needs a place to come back to a couple of times a year.

A bit older than me, divorced, no pets, she has been very interested in my traveling and is excited at the prospect of doing it herself.

This is the woman who crochets, quilts, knits, paints, does needlepoint and embroidery, makes jewelry.....and probably some other artsy things I don't know about. She is very clever and creative.

She and her husband traveled the world in sailboats, so making the transition to a small RV shouldn't be a problem.

She is going to an annual arts something near Asheville, NC, next month, and so I suggested she go by Carolina Coach & Camper to take a look at what they have on their lot, as she wants to get inside some to get a feel for what she wants.

Nice people, there, and they have a good selection of Class B's on their lot. Not many used ones, tho, probably because they are becoming so popular.

When I am back from my trip, she will be back from hers, and I will give her a grand tour of the Interstate. Unprepared for visitors to it at this moment, I didn't offer this yesterday.

One of the really great things about getting ready for a trip in warm weather, is the ability to get things out there and put away in stages.....then leaving with everything in pretty good order. I like that.

In the winter, we/I fill the frig, get clothes in, and schlep everything else out in large shopping totes, to be put away and organized during the first night or two out. It is just too darned cold here in January to mess with too much before getting on the road.

Cleaning the little house this morning, then taking the Interstate out to give the black tanks a good scrub.

It's all good.....part of the privilege of being able to travel.

Maggie
Old 06-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #420
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Maggie,

Chaco Canyon is a spiritual blessing despite all the bad things that happened there....You will enjoy it....

« No Game Changer | Top | - »