Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #3941
Rivet Master

I feel left out....I don't have a wood stove! I do have a fireplace in family room, but, it has not seen a flame this winter as it has been unusually warm.

I've enjoyed your winter trip, Maggie. As you are well traveled, I now see how easily you find all those really neat camping spots.....practice makes perfect! Enjoy your cozy little home by the wood stove. Glad you're home safe and sound. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #3942
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Evelyn.

Just had my son and his here the past couple of hours, got caught up on each other's lives and I had hugs and love from my sweet grands.

Pizza delivery consumed, milk finished up, tho no cookies ...I promised them I would have some the next time I see them.

Maggie
Old 03-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #3943
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Laundry is done up and things from the Interstate mostly put away, but I have stopped...because I don't need to do it all in one day.

It is nice to be home....where, tho I enjoy the travel and appreciate being able to do it, there is not the toil of being on the road.

There, I said it.

The toilet flushes, does not have to be emptied on bended knee, in all manner of weather, and a full sized shower with tub does not have to be trekked and to has all the hot water I care to use...I have a full sized refrigerator, and a kitchen that begs me to cook... plus a washer with dryer so I don't have to bag up dirty laundry and find a place to store it in my very small space...til I haul it all into a laundromat, sort and wash and fold it in a public place, then carry it back to the Interstate to be put away..

I have a comfy living room, and a bed that does not have to be made up each night and put up again each morning.

This is toil, part and parcel of traveling, but toil nonetheless. Toil that is not fun, not enjoyable, not things one would do unless one had to.

And, all tasks in widowhood are now mine.

I don't have to like doing it all myself, and I don't. Sigh.

I'm not feeling sorry for myself, just acknowledging the truth and glad to be home.

I've decided to look for a vehicle to replace the Matrix I sold to SIL last June.

Was going to wait til fall, but I just don't want to. I want the convenience of something more town-easy these next 3-4 months before I travel again.

My son and his are having a little vacation over the kids upcoming spring break, and he has offered to leave his car with me....I will look then.

Nice to be home in my little house.

Maggie
Old 03-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #3944
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Yes, traveling is such fun... then being home is great!!! for all those reasons you mentioned... I believe everyone would agree.... enjoy your cozy comforts... hugs, love and pats from out here.... the sun is shining right now... what a joy after the heavy rains!!!
Old 03-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #3945
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Some of the best parts of traveling are leaving home, and then getting back there at the end of a successful trip.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #3946
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, but I'll be itching to go again once taxes and spring choring at the little house are taken care of.

Lots to do right now, so much I haven't even made a list....but, that's okay, it's part of the pleasure of being home.

Skyped with darling daughter this morning, who is using the Instant Pot I got her and has many plans for it today before she returns to work tomorrow.

SIL's mother and Abuela have been up for the weekend, and they have been cooking for them...nice to see everyone embrace the new environs and want to be a part of it.

I'm going to make this Braised Cabbage recipe today, out of the little IP cookbook I ordered that was waiting for me when I got home.

It sounds good....one could do it with ham or leftover corned beef instead of bacon, making for a carnivore-friendly, meatier meal.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	281662  
Old 03-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #3947
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning... we have sunshine!!! All day!!! So out to the yard!!! That cabbage recipe looks good and simple too... I'm a cabbage fan, so I'll try it... I read that adding vinegar to the water while cooking cabbage will stop the odor from permeating the house??? Probably wouldn't hurt the recipe... I'm going to try it anyway... ok, enjoy your IP... hugs and love from out here.. and sunny for once!!! Yeah!!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #3948
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sunshine is good, and we have it here today, too.

I'm putting the cabbage dish off til later in the week, as I had this bag of baby spinach & kale that needed to be used up...stirred it into risotto cooked in the IP.

Yummy, and a one dish meal.

Took about 30 minutes, starting with sautéing onion in a little butter and olive oil, and 6 minutes under pressure.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	281677  
Old 03-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #3949
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Putting some things away a bit ago, I found this card from the roses Doug brought me on our last anniversary together, 4 months before he died. Sigh.

I've continued the Ken Burns series today, while I am puttering, cooking, putting things away, etc., and threaded throughout the layers of development of the West is our absolutely indescribable, repugnant, and abhorrent treatment of the American Indians.

We not only took their land, which is of course what conquering armies did, but we starved them, lied to them, broke treaties and promises, tricked them, slaughtered them and did everything we could to annihilate the culture of these native peoples.

Tho more sophisticated in method, the efforts to exterminate the Jews in Europe were no worse than what we did in this country.

It is good to be reminded of our history here.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4417.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	281682  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #3950
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning... I'm sorting and tossing here too... so finding things I'd forgotten about ages ago... but nothing as sweet as your card... hugs and love from out here...
Old 03-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #3951
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail, I was just reading your email.

Finishing up fine tuning things from getting home, pitching the last of the junk mail that arrived in my absence, renewing my driver's license, scheduling this and that....I keep thinking of things I need to do, and my list is growing, but it's always like that when I am first home from a long trip, and I am not complaining because it is good to be back in my little house.

Did some cleaning in the Interstate this morning, now only need to vacuum crevices as well as I can...dog hair, you know...and it will be ready for the next trip, which will be to Iowa to see the loved ones there, and visit the cemetery.

Lily has her first teeth cleaning next week...it is going to be harder on me than her, I think. She can't have food or water from the evening before, has to be left at the vets for the day, will be anesthetized.

I hate it, but have to be a big girl, as it is best for her.

In the mid 60's today here, and sun is shining tho we had a storm in the night and I was awakened by a cold nose touching my cheek....I turned over, and she snuggled right in til it was over.

Sweet baby.

Maggie
Old 03-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #3952

I'm sure she will be fine, but ask them to keep an especially close eye on Lilly as she wakes up from anesthesia. We lost our Golden Retriever a few years back when our vet's tech "extubated" him early as he was waking up, and then did not check on him again until it was too late. Tell them to make certain this does not happen to her.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #3953
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a scary thought.

I'd like to stay with her, but I doubt they will allow it.

She's very precious to me, you know.

Maggie
Old 03-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #3954
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I had some panicky second thoughts about subjecting Lily to general anesthesia for a tooth cleaning, but after consulting with some experts, I am going to do it.

It seems the benefits vastly outweigh the risks.

The vet tech at my veterinarian's office spent a good deal of time with me on the phone this morning, explaining the why's and their process...which seems to be focused on insuring the procedure is not only safe, but also not traumatic for beloved, furry friends.

Doug would say I am projecting human feelings onto Lily...what he, with an accompanying eye-roll, called "the personification of animals" ...and he would be right.

I don't want her to feel abandoned or scared or anything negative whatsoever, but she will undoubtedly have some of that...I am assured that everyone works to mitigate against negative effects.

This is the same vet who came to the house early one Saturday morning to put our beloved Brittney Spaniel to sleep on the back porch, so that his last emotion would not be the terror he experienced whenever we went into their office.

It will probably be harder on me to leave her there. Ummm, yes.

I have done some research on how to reduce plaque and tartar naturally at home, so hopefully we can keep this from being an annual event....have had her over 6 years, and this was the first time he recommended it. We'll see.

Hauled the vacuum out to the Interstate this morning and used the tube attachment for the dryer lint trap to suckup a tremendous amount of mostly dog hair from under and behind the rear benches.

She is definitely shedding a minuscule amount, compared to pre-Shed No More, but still an awesome amount ended up in my vacuum canister after a 2 1/2 month trip. It's okay. She's worth it.

Doing labs, going to Blue Beacon, getting my hair cut, other miscellaneous errands tomorrow...hopefully by the end of next week I will have brought home a vehicle.

Fixin' to start lookin'.

Also need to mix some cookie dough up and bake a loaf of bread....I'm not really home until I have baked a loaf of bread.

Maggie
Old 03-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #3955
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Hey, Mimi, PM sent, thanks for asking.

Yes, we are ridiculously dependent upon our electronics, even though we're allegedly camping, haha.
Would love to get info from you as well regarding your changes and set up that is working. Much thanks! We are definitely addicted to our Airstream Rose and connectivity!
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #3956

Please don't misunderstand, I totally support your decision to have Lily's teeth cleaned. I'm sure she will be fine. We just had a bad experience and I wanted you to know how to prevent it. Sorry for any angst I may have caused.

judyjudy, I'll send you a PM per your request.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #3957
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I understand that, Bill, and thanks for the input.

I asked the vet tech at the office this morning about aftercare, monitoring, etc., and they seem to have everything covered....she won't ever be alone, always at least one person present until I pick her up.

Maggie
Old 03-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #3958

Sounds like an excellent veterinary clinic, great! I'm sure she will be fine.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #3959
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
To switch the topic a bit, I saw you mentioned dog hair in your vehicle.

If you don't already know this tip--it's a good one.

A small rubber window squeegee (real rubber is best, not the fake plastic rubber) is outstanding for very quickly cleaning up dog hair from vehicle carpets or fabrics. You drag it along and it will grab the hair from in-between the weave of the fabric and drag it out.

Much faster than getting the hair out with a vacuum. And then the vacuum can get the dust out of the carpet without worrying about getting the hair out as well.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #3960
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a good idea, PB, I may need to get one of those for the rugs.

My rear benches are ultra leather, so no hair sticks to them, instead falling under and behind the bench into areas not accessible by opening the storage doors underneath.

The hot water tank is under one, also lots of odd bits and structures necessary for the functioning of the Interstate but not designed to be easily accessible by mere humans.

I have found the long, flexible tube attachment I use to clean the dryer vent the best item for getting behind the benches....a good two feet in length and narrow, it reaches down into places I can only see from the top, where dog hair collects and then can be sucked out.

Other than disassembling the entire interior, there is no real full cleaning available, but I do the best I can a couple of times a year....preferring no insects or spiders taking up residence in my little home in wheels.

Off for errands and a haircut this morning, dough for rye bread is doing its thing in the counter to be baked later ....the sun is shining, it is a beautiful day.

Maggie