Old 07-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #2717
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Miss Maggie... Thank you!

Ben Franklin ??? We saw one in Winterset, Iowa...but it was after hours.. They closed at 6PM!!! That is good they reopened...for many reasons...

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #2718
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug's cousin and his wife own and operate the Ben Franklin in Winterset, Iowa, and have for years.

They're fun to poke around in....one of our favorite things to do in old towns was to peruse local museums, the dime stores, old mercantiles and hardware stores.

Maggie

Old 07-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #2719
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Did some cleaning this morning, then went to a nearby state park and dumped my tanks...and picked up ingredients to make Mimi's chicken green chile enchilada dish for dinner, which they loved.

Will be heading out in the morning, probably to DeSmet, ND, of Little House fame, and stay in their lovely city park tomorrow night.

It's been a great visit, as it always is.

On to the next leg of my journey.

Maggie
Old 07-28-2016, 07:29 AM   #2720
4 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
Have a safe and fun trip!
Rachel

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Old 07-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #2721
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Just wondering, and not trying to be pushy, but did Mimi post her recipe? I know she said it would be in a few weeks or so, but just thought I'd ask. Do you think it would turn out ok in a slow cooker, it's way too hot here for a fire ring fire!

Thanks, Deb
Old 07-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #2722
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I'm about a week and a half away from home, and the recipe is on my desktop computer there. I can do it from memory, but don't trust myself to get it right in writing. Please forgive the delay.

It works beautifully in a big slow cooker--intended for a 12" DO, so it makes a lot. Prep for it also requires some kitchen time.

Also, I can't claim credit for it. It was the winner of the Texas Parks and Wildlife department's recipe contest about three years ago. I need to get home so I can give proper credit to the lady who developed it.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #2723
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I could post it, but I want Mimi to do it.

Maggie
Old 07-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #2724
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
I make a very similar dish... very simple!!! I line a glass 2 qt casserole dish with tortillas, add cooked chicken, pour a jar of Hernandez Verde Salsa over that, at this point you could add anything else you like, such as onions, olives, whatever, then top it with cheese...bake til the cheese is golden... turns out very good... I've made it with red salsa, but I like the green best... Hi Maggie!!! Keep having fun!!! Hugs and love from here...
Old 07-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #2725
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yours sounds yummy, too, Gail.

We drove as far today as a little Lions Club campground in Maynard, MN....some change in trajectory due to tornado damage thru parts of western MN last night.

I need to get on the phone with Fantastic Fan...

Too busy visiting to deal with this the last couple of days, but a functioning vent fan is vital.

Maggie
Old 07-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #2726
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Fantastic Fan...now owned by Dometic...customer service did its usual outstanding job.

Diagnosed the likely problem with the fan and set me up with a fixer upper in Watertown, SD, which will get me in tomorrow.

The fix requires getting on the roof to check something....ummmm, I think not.

Maggie
Old 07-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #2727
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Mimi and Maggie, thanks for the update, and I am certain the wait will be worthwhile! Actually, I just didn't want to miss it if it was posted.

Gail, your sounds yummy, and I'll give it a try too. I hope it does well in a slow cooker; it's so hot here, I don't want to warm things up by turning on the oven. We've been eating out a lot lately, and I find the added sodium is not my friend, I'm just not used to consuming that much sodium!

Deb
Old 07-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #2728
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
I've never tried it but in the oven...takes about 20 mins on 425... since all the ingredient are already cooked... and I like the tortilla edges crispy... I'm making one this morning after all this chat about it... one of my fav quickies.... everyone have a great day!!! watch out for the heat!!! I feel lucky to be on the coast!!! Hugs and love around... gail
Old 07-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #2729
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm going to have to try Gail's version of this, as there would be fewer leftovers needing consumed. Could put it in a cast iron skillet in the oven.

Joe at Fireside Camper in Watertown, SD, fixed in a minute the loose wire that caused my vent fan to malfunction, and cleaned the inside of the vent for me while he was up there...at no charge.

http://www.firesidecamper.com/

He asked where I was headed, and when I told him I was hoping to get a site in the City Park here for the weekend, he called the camp host to see if there was anything available.

When the camp host didn't answer, he said "I'll call his wife"...both numbers in his cell phone. He then offered me some fresh tomatoes from his garden, which I gratefully accepted.

Neither had answered, but I headed on out there, and when I arrived the camp host was watching for me and told me Joe had called to tell him I was on my way and needed a site for a couple of nights.

He directed me to the few sites that were still vacant, I selected the only one left in the older, shady section, which is also near the bathhouse, and was paid up and headed to the grocery store by 10:30 this morning.

A nice little market, plenty of fresh produce, decent prices, and friendly staff. And where but way up Nawth does one find fresh bratwurst with wild rice in them...cooking as I speak, lean and beautiful.

This is a very nice, lakeside campground, well maintained, spotless, a beach I saw dogs romping on as we came in, and the always appreciated showers.

Going to do some cleaning in here, now that temps are cooler and there are no swarms of mosquitoes to torment the moment one is out the door , ride my bike, walk Lily, and chill out here til Sunday morning.

Preferring few reservations to the structure of pre-determined stops, we learned early on that one wants to get a site for the weekend at the earliest opportunity, as when weather is beautiful everyone wants to be camping...and things fill up fast.

Better to get settled in early than risk a hot parking lot somewhere, or creek side with cows staring at you from the other side, because nothing is available.

We had the cows one Friday evening in WVA, next morning waking up to the ladies of a pre-Civil War church readying the gathering area for their annual BBQ and ice cream social....necessary to pay the heating bills in winter.

We chatted with them, made a donation to the heating fund, and moved on.

Sometimes...the universe seems to be testing you, seeing what kind of strong stuff you are made of. Other times, everything aligns, and you feel that unseen forces are caring, enfolding and looking out for you.

Today was one of the latter, and I like those best.

Doug would say "Buddha smiles".

Maggie
Old 07-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #2730
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Hey, if you like wurst with rice in it, you need to get yourself down to Scott, LA, the Boudin capital of the world. It is surprisingly delicious. http://www.boudincapitaloftheworld.com/

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote