Old 07-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #2703
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Glad you avoided the storm. We had rain and thunder in the night, but nothing severe. Looks like today will be sunny and clear.

They have a mobile tank dump and water fill service here. If they can handle my equipment, I'm going to pay for that so I can let someone else do the heavy work. If not, there's a free dump station just down the way, and my truck will tow my big blue tank. Carrying in water would be a challenge, but I have a container in the truck and will do it if I have to.

Also need to improve my supply of generator gasoline. I'll buy a 5 gallon container from a local store and fill it. That will keep me going for quite a while. I really only need generators for the AC in the hot afternoons. I found myself laughing at neighbors who ran their generators until the mandatory cutoff last night. It was cool outside at least two hours before that. Guess they had to run a television or something.

Anyway, Blackie and I are off for our first real boondock-style experience in the Airstream, and doing well so far.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #2704
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think it's great that you're doing this, Mimi, and your skills will sharpen as you go along....it's how we all learn.

We didn't miss the storm system completely, just the worst of it.

Had very heavy rain here, and some wind, bad enough to give Lily the shakes, but nothing like there was farther north.

The rain cleaned the bugs off the Interstate, anyway...with that RainX coating from BlueBeacon, those suckers slide right off.

We needed the down time, regardless, so it all worked out.

Going to tidy things up and get back on the River Road soon, and we will spend tonight somewhere in Wisconsin.

Maggie

Old 07-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #2705
Rivet Master

Maggie and Mimi, glad you both made it thru the storms and no problems. Reading of your travels makes me anxious to get going. I am so looking forward to meeting up with you and others in August. Getting closer!

Maggie, I am busily working the maps, setting up a route to travel from Jackson to Ft Stevens SP, Oregon. Appears to be a combination of interstate and state/ US roads. I'm also looking at grades at about 6% on some passes...should not be much of a problem. I wonder if 4 days will be enough time before 9/1 arrival at Ft Stevenson?

I pulled out my Garmin GPS....specifically for truckers and RVs. I'll update maps on my desktop, then, load routes into it. Going through my wardrobe, deciding on which clothes to pack (when the time comes) that will address warm and colder/rainy weather conditions. As I will go to GTN park after our trip, I know I will see some cold temperatures. I'm trying to not bring everything.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #2706
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm going to leave the navigating from Jackson Hole to you, Evelyn.

About 6 hours on the road today...the slow route, up the GRR...got us to a beautiful little county campground in Winona, MN, right on the banks of the river.

Such a gorgeous drive, I never cease to be impressed by the mighty Mississippi and it's beautiful surrounds.

Stopped at a local place in some quiet river town in Wisconsin and got the most delicious Swiss and mushroom burger to go....perfectly done, juicy and on a toasted pretzel bun. Yum.

Somewhere, Doug was drooling and wishing for a bite.

It is slightly cooler up here, but we took an electric site for AC, anyway.

Having a glass of wine, then going to walk Lily and chill out for the evening.

Maggie
Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #2707
Rivet Master

I've got this, Maggie. Safe travels.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #2708
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I believe your thunder storm rolled through here about 05:00 this AM. WOW.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #2709
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
https://www.facebook.com/clovermeadf...774816/?type=3 This was just down the road from here.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #2710
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A nasty storm system. I'm glad we sat it out farther south.

Did laundry in lovely Wabasha, MN this morning, then continued the GRR on up to St. Paul.

I believe this is the first time picking up the River Road in Illinois and taking it continuously so far north. I loved it.

We are settled in under a big tree in my friends yard in Sandstone, where the skeeters are fierce due to record rains...but the temps are cooler.

Twil be nice to visit with them and be still for a couple of days.

First thing tomorrow, going to get on the floor to look at fuses and see if that is why my vent fan stopped running.

When I came out after dinner, the fan had stopped, with the vent open, and it won't restart. I had to hand crank the vent shut.

Everything else seems fine.

A critical item, a working vent fan, but I'll worry about it tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 07-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #2711
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Why do they always put the fuses where you need to be a contortionist to get at them?
Old 07-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #2712
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My friends up here are old shoe kind of friends ....always comfortable, caring, good people, and I appreciate having them in my life. Together since high school, joined at the hip, and happy as two little clams.

They are both semi retired, stil working part time to cover health care costs , and have both been hired on by the just newly reopened BenFranklin in Sandstone.

They will now be working in the same place, in the same town they live in, and just a few blocks from home.

So, we spent some time poking around in there this morning, where I found cotton yarn and some candles....which I forgot to bring with me, and I must have candles.

Then we had lunch at a little cafe next door which had the most beautiful handmade pottery coffee mugs for sale....and I just had to have one.

I knew if I left without one, I would pine for it. Will post a picture later.

If you get to Sandstone, MN, stop in the BenFranklin and give them some business, and say hi to my friends Val & Steve.

Maggie
Old 07-26-2016, 11:48 PM   #2713
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Thread hijack...

Packing up our home of 28 years. Most to storage or charity.

Our month long Aistream trip before this decision stirred a bit of wanderlust...yet, when we caught sight of "home" we felt no sadness... As we entered the "closed up" house. We felt welcomed again having set our feet down. It was as if we were immersed in a special relationship.

It is astonishing how deeply "stuff" chronologicals our lives. Pictures, "keepsakes", mementos of places our feet touched the earth... Smells, the remaining traces of each soul.. Forever in our ever feeble minds...As we reminisced it was/is bittersweet.

Our home is too big now...sons married off, living the lives we helped them start.. Now, more so loosening the apron strings a bit more... with "staging" for possible sale. All the interactions we had with this inanimate object came to have a life of its own, animated by our love...and the souls who have passed thru... Mostly bringing peace inside and to our "safe place"...

But, we are mere travelers..aren't we?

The feelings are palpable... Somewhat raw...calmed only by prayerful trust our decision is correct for our next chapter.

Close hijack...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:34 AM   #2714
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's beautiful, Channing, and thanks for sharing.

We do share a special relationship with our longtime dwellings. I understand that completely.

May you enjoy immensely this next chapter in your lives, and may it be everything you hope and dream for.

Maggie
Old 07-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #2715
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My new, Maiolica pottery mug from yesterday....."Sprouts on 5th" is the name of the local restaurant, next to the just reopened Ben Franklin in Sandstone, where my friends are working part time.

All of the coffee/tea mugs for the patrons use are made by this same potter, tho in solid colors of beautiful hues.

http://duluthpottery.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	267806  
Old 07-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #2716
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Cool!