Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #3821
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you....it was a very busy and productive weekend.

SIL's mother and Abuela headed back to the city today, and darling daughter and I have just picked out a sectional for their great room.

It's all coming together very nicely.

Maggie
Old 02-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #3822
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nothing much to report, just checking in...

Putting away, sorting, straightening, did a bit of shopping, etc.

They both go back to work tomorrow, via the trains, I will do labs and poke around some on my own.

Lily hates me to leave with my daughter without her...she sits herself by the glass front door, and there she stays until I return.

We were gone about 3 hours this afternoon, and she never moved from the door per SIL.

At any rate, all is well, we are doing moving in things, SIL is getting all the electronics installed, up and running, and I am now connected to their wifi.

A beautiful, older neighborhood this house is in....all the homes built at the same time, many in the same style as this one. Well kept, neighbors are friendly.

There is a huge, old home up on a hill on the street you turn into this one from, and I suspect this was all part of some grand estate many years ago...as that's how they did it, the main house on a hill where they could see what was going on in the fields below them.

We passed on a highway somewhere today a small, very old, house built completely of stone...all the walls appeared intact, windows, door and roof were gone.

Could have been a residence, but it was more in the style of a school or church, with windows in rows on each side.

I loved it, reminded me of Ireland.

Going to start cooking dinner....

Maggie
Old 02-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #3823
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've been doing mother things today....condensing down boxes of things I don't know where they want to put them, mopping the floor of dog paw prints , cleaning a non-washable rug left by the owner, and generally straightening and putting away what I can.

Kitchen and main living area are pretty much in order, tho nothing yet on the walls...some tasks I can't do without input and some things still in boxes they simply need to deal with.

Took darling daughter two hours to get to work this morning, but she said it wasn't awful cuz she took a nap.

I've also baked them a loaf of DO bread, scheduled service on the Interstate for next week, done my labs, and been to WalMart.

Am now crocheting and relaxing a bit, before I start dinner.

Don't know that I will cook for them every day that I am here, but I will do it for awhile...they appreciate it, and I am enjoying it.

Sweet SIL is a serious carnivore like Doug was...prefers meat every day, at least twice. A different kind of cooking than I have been doing of late.

He has never grilled, but I'm going to show him how to do country style ribs over charcoal this weekend, as weather is going to be unseasonably warm.

Tomorrow afternoon their sectional is being delivered, and in the morning I'm going to walk Lily up to the big, old cemetery near here and turn her loose to rip a bit while I read old tombstones....one of my favorite things to do.

All is well, dust is starting to settle and they are enjoying their new home...as am I, and being here with them.

Maggie
Old 02-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #3824
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Everything sounds great Maggie... geez, you sure can get a lot done in one day!! I do admire your stamina... hugs and pats and love from here... we had sunshine today!!! I played in the yard!! Keep having fun!! Will we see pics of the house??
Old 02-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #3825
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gail, and I was thinking I need to get a picture of the Interstate in the drive, and at least the outside of the house.

Being that it's not my house, I don't want to take pics of the inside, with their things, and post them...and I'm sure my cop SIL would say...ummm, no.

Tomorrow, I promise.

He's such a cop, wired that way, and I understand because social worker me is the same way. You're on, all the time, it's not only what you do but who you are.

I did get a lot done today, and then cooked them dinner so it was ready when they got home. Yes, that was nice of me.

Tho I got some crocheting in, too, and caught up on the news.

In and amongst mother things in the last two days, I disputed a charge with Visa and made a complaint to the BBB about a "florist" advertising online and for this area which is not a florist at all but a call taker which places the order with a real florist...after surreptitiously charging the unknowing order placer...that would be me...a $21 fee for a service they did not request.

I'll save you the gory details, but I had ordered for the new homeowners what were to be blooming plants which could be transplanted outside...and were not, but one of three in the arrangement...then discovered the deception and the surcharge.

Needless to say, Capitol One pounced on it, as did the BBB. We'll see what shakes out when the dust settles.

I apparently was not the first to complain, at least to Capitol One.

Maggie
Old 02-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #3826
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Got this quickie this morning.

If you look carefully, you can see Lily peering out the door at me.

The house is much bigger than it appears at first blush, as the addition in the back is a high ceilinged great room, windowed and transommed with a gas fireplace at the far end, and a formal dining room, both of which have sliding glass doors out to the common deck.

There is also a parlor with fireplace, two medium sized bedrooms, bath, and large, modern kitchen with center island on the main floor, two more bedrooms and a bath on the second floor, a full basement, and lots of built in shelves, cabinets and storage...such as were commonly done in homes built in the 40's and 50's.

I believe the bush to the left of the front door is pussywillow, there is lavender on the side of the garage, a stone patio and landscaping in the back.

They are delighted with it, and their new sectional arrives this afternoon.

Have discovered a small county park, Croton-on-Hudson, across the Hudson and just a bit south of here...open all year, with a dump station, and think I might go down there for a couple of days next week.

Give the kids and their pets a few days of transition time, not having me here to care for them. I can also dump my tanks...not that full, but still.

Off to the cemetery...

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4323.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	369.9 KB
ID:	280334  
Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #3827
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A little more of the neighborhood, as we set out on our walk.

The addition you see toward the back of the house is the formal dining room.

Cemetery appears to date back to the 1830's, from what I could see and what I was told by a groundskeeper there filling in a grave....names with dates of death only on many of the early stones.

I will find older ones to peruse....

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	280337  
Old 02-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #3828
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning there.. darling little house... that was a good year for houses..thye still used real wood products!!haha. great plan, the park.. the kids can rest and Lily can romp... I'm guessing your weather is still holding... I just looked out the window here and it's snowing... and sticking... have a fine morning... keen having fun!!!
Old 02-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #3829
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail, and yes, weather is nice here...going to be 69 here today, and warmer tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 02-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #3830
Rivet Master

Hi Maggie. Cute little house! From your description, it is much bigger than appeared from front view photo. Sounds like they found a nice place, with lots of upgrades from original. I bet they will love it there, especially coming from an apartment in the city. Do they have a long commute to/ from workplace?

Enjoy your visit. As for here, our weather has been such a roller coaster of temperature changes. It was 75 two days ago, woke up this morning to 20's and snow! Crazy! March and April are typically our snowiest months...so who knows what we'll see.

I'm mostly recovered, except for still weak and 02 level still a bit low, but, it will improve, I hope. Continue having fun. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #3831
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Evelyn, and it is a nice little place...had only been on the market a few days, they toured it, made an offer, and that was that.

Glad you're continuing to improve...I haven't checked in on you in a while, tho knew you were well on the mend even before I got immersed in the new house.

I am crocheting on their new sectional, tired from our hour-long walk this morning...up some hills and places we hadn't planned to go, as we got only slightly dislocated from the house.

I had the phone with me, opened PocketEarth, pinged my location and where we were at that point...resting a minute atop a stone wall... only a couple of blocks away.

I took the phone with me for just that possibility.

Maggie
Old 02-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #3832
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I agree with Gail and Evelyn. It looks like a very nice house. Glad you're able to be there to help with the move.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #3833
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Mimi, and thanks.

Maggie
Old 02-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #3834
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Darling daughter will be off tomorrow, while sweet SIL will be working, so I have done some personal choring today and a small bit of cleaning for her...kitchen and bathrooms...as I'm sure there will be lots on the agenda for the weekend, and I'm here, so why not. It's what mothers do.

Nothing yet up on the walls, she wants to look for rugs, etc., but this weekend will be much less stressful than last.

One of the neighbors left a pot of blooming tulips on the front porch this morning while we were walking, with a welcome-to-the-neighborhood note. Very sweet.

I tell ya, I have done 13-14 hour days, and more than one 20-22 in my day, but two hours on each end of that was not spent commuting. It is the way things are out here, but I don't know how they do it.

It is 73 degrees here, as I type. In addition to choring, we have walked and had a Lily&Me bike ride around the neighborhood. Double ride for me, half that for Miss Lily.

Looking more closely at the campground on Croton Point, its fees reflect the proximity to the Big City , but I'm just going to bite the bullet and spend a couple of days...it is winter, technically, and this place is open, with a dump station.

All is well, weather has been most accommodating.

"Buddha smiles", Doug would say.

Maggie
Old 02-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #3835
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning Maggie!! Yes, I checked you weather... nice!!! And found the campground in the atlas... it'll be a fun break.. new scenery... New trails... pats to the pup.. keep having fun!! Hugs and love to you...
Old 02-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #3836
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
HI there.

I've just been dealing with this only somewhat housebroken English Bulldog of SIL's...he sleeps most of the day, when he gets up he needs to go outside but he's an inside dog and doesn't want to and so runs from me.

He gets to barking and snapping his jaws and I'm afraid he will bite me, so today I manhandled him a bit, grabbing him by the scruff of his neck and hauling his ass out the door. He peed, then came inside and pooped on the floor.

Then he barked at me until I gave him treats.

Lily does not like this dog. Barks at him every time he comes out of the bedroom where he spends his day, any time he comes near.

She usually stops that after the first day, but we're at a week now. The bulldog barks back, so they're both going at it.

Maggie
Old 02-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #3837
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Spiteful mutt. He pooped on the floor just to show you.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #3838
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And when the kids got home, we found another one.

Maggie
Old 02-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #3839
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
How old is he?? Gracie will do that if it's nasty outside... she knows, even through she's 13,nearly deaf, almost blind and spoiled... she know when the weather is bad...
Ok, have a lovely evening there... I'm enjoying this interesting stopover in our trip... Hugs and love and pats from out here
Old 02-24-2017, 08:39 PM   #3840
Rivet Master

I agree with Gerard....that was a "payback poop"! Looks like SIL has some work ahead showing that bulldog who is boss. Hopefully he will acclimate to his new surroundings soon.

My dogs are little, and even in a blizzard with low temps, I put a coat on them and out they go to do their business. The colder it is, the faster they "get down to it."
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote