Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #3781
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
A Different Life II

Hi Maggie!
Safe travels! Got back from Phoenix last night & on the plane now & about to take off for the UK but wishing I could stay in Charleston this week. Oh well it is what it is. Give Lily a rub for me. Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #3782
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Glad you guys are tucked in there... sweet dreams... hugs and love...catch ya in the morning...
Old 02-12-2017, 03:45 AM   #3783
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good morning, Ladies, and enjoy the UK, Miss Jane.

Glad we had a chance to visit.

I made contact with a distant relative last evening, before getting under the covers fairly early, even for me....we were tired. ...and am going to meet him today.

Talking with Al & Patti a couple of years ago, they mentioned this man, I immediately noticed his last name, asked where he lived, and declared "we're probably related"...and, we are.

When my ancestors flatboated to Natchez in 1806, they were living in Grainger County, TN, before that in North Carolina, and before that, Virginia, since the 1600's.

This man, our common ancestor being a 7th great grandfather, if I recall correctly, lives on land continuously owned and lived on by the same branch of our family since I believe 1633.

Nearly 400 years.

Going to tear up into Virginia today, meet him, and stand on that land.

After I return the electronic gizmo that gets me into the bathhouse here, and receive my $20 deposit back.

Maggie
Old 02-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #3784
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
That's fascinating... about the family ties and the land.... 1633...wow!! I was recently reading about that era and the settlers... tough life.. Have fun with your "new" cousin... hugs and love from out here....
Old 02-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #3785
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Maggie, That is so cool. Laura's family was close to Jamestown in the early 1600s also. Her ancestors might have known yours. What was the family name at the time?
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #3786
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, it took about 6 hours of hard driving, stopping only about 20 minutes all day for potty breaks, but we arrived at my distant cousins parcel of original land, which is inside the George Washington Birthplace National Monument.

George being born just up the road, don'tcha know.

He is surrounded by Monument land, and we are Muse descendants.

I am also of Lea, Clay, and other old, Northern Neck Virginia blood. The counties I drove thru to get here are all in my genealogy as birthplaces, marriage locations, etc.

It is amazing to be on the land of ancestors 350 years back. I am humbled.

We've had a great visit, been out to dinner, had a little wine, and I'm spending the night in his driveway.

There is a reunion in October, and I will be back, when I will have more time and can do some poking around the cemeteries and old homesteads within these federal lands.

Somewhat farther north tomorrow, staying south of the snow...

Maggie
Old 02-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #3787
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So, I spent last night on land owned by the Muse family since 1668 (not 1633, that was when John Muse was born). There's a house there built in the late 1880's, the foundation of an older one in front of that, and foundations of several more visible around the property.

The roads into Monument land are the originals, and remain unpaved.

You can see the Potomac from the house, and originally the land held by John Muse extended all the way to the water.

George Washington was born just down the road, and there is a small cemetery where George's parents and other family members are buried. Also at least one with Muse ancestors in it.

Pretty amazing.

When I come back in October, I will have time to explore, get to the Visitor Center, and visit the cemeteries.

Waiting at Blue Beacon in Fredericksburg for a tubbie for the Interstate, then on to Philadelphia for tonight...

Maggie
Old 02-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #3788
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning Maggie... looks like still nasty weather north of you... I know you'll be careful... keep having fun out there!!! Hugs and love from up here where it's a sunny day!!! Wowowow!!!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #3789
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was 78 late yesterday afternoon, and 39 when I got up this morning.

Thought I would drive to Philadelphia today, but closing on the house is pushed back to Friday, so no need to drive that far.

Driving to and thru D.C. and Baltimore were a bit hair-raising, between very heavy traffic and really ferocious winds. Yikes.

Lily also did me the favor this morning of throwing up on my rugs, so we are stopped to wash and will stay here in Maryland tonight.

She ran loose on the wide open Muse land, and undoubtedly ate something off the ground that wasn't meant for man nor beast.

Thank you, Lily.

Maggie
Old 02-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #3790
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Glad you're tucked in there.. sweet Lily... dogs can be sooo fun!!! Hugs and love from here... I'm heading out into the sunshine!!!
Old 02-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #3791
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, we're tucked in now, at a nice little state park just inside the Delaware line...after a false start at a private campground.

I called ahead to be sure they had a site, told her I was a small Class B and really just needed electricity and to be by the bathhouse.

She told me all they had were full hookups, and it would be $45. A bit pricey, but it is February, and not many places are open..

Got registered, she took me to my "site" which was one of those misshapen, cobbled together areas that appeared to have been an afterthought, at the very most....a way to get a few more bucks out of available space.

The sewer was at the far rear, the electricity toward the center, and the water way at the front. There were no boundaries or other definition to the site, which appeared to have been a road with a picnic table put in it.

I told her politely that, quite honestly, I didn't understand how she justified charging me $45 for this.

She then pointed to another site, and said I could have that, which I moved to.

All the utilities were within reasonable proximity to each other, and the site was defined by landscape timbers. I asked her why she hadn't offered this to start with, and she said "well, we usually have big busses in there", pointing to the site she had first taken me to. What??

Maybe she has dementia, maybe she was having a bad day, but one of those things that gives campgrounds a bad name.

So, I get the bike unloaded, plug in to electricity, search for a little wine...and the power went out.

A tree fell on the power lines to the Campground, and power is going to be out awhile.

I decided this was all bad ju-ju, asked for a refund, and found another site at a state park just up the road. $20 cheaper, too.

One of those days, testing my patience, which I am proud to say I held quite nicely.

The traffic and the wind today were insane.

One of those days....

Maggie
Old 02-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #3792
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My first stop this morning was for coffee at an odd looking little gas station/junk store...seriously.

I got my coffee, and had to look around a bit...always intrigued by colored glass, I found this little item that had to come with me.

An 1880's, handblown, Chesebrough Mfg. Co. Vaseline jar....which originally had a cork in its' top.

I liked its hand blown nature, and pale amethyst color.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4294.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	537.6 KB
ID:	279749  
Old 02-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #3793
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Glad you ended up in a good place... and I'd sure have bought that little jar!!! I love things like that.... keep have fun!!! Hugs and love again...can't get to much of that!!!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #3794
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
As the house closing has been pushed back to Friday, I could actually have stayed on the Muse homeplace another day or so, looked around a bit and gotten to know my new, distant cousin a bit better.

But, I didn't know til well on the road.

Going to stay two more nights at this state park, then spend Thursday night at my friend's in NJ....less than an hour from the new house Friday.

Had a text from my cousin this am that he stayed up half the night last night thinking of an Interstate or a Base Camp, and is going looking today.

He and his longtime partner had an Airstream trailer for a number of years, but gave it up some time before the partner died about 6 months after Doug did.

He's got the bug again, is ready to roam, and is looking at going small.

Yes, I say!

Maggie
Old 02-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #3795
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Great idea for him, I hope he finds something he likes, be it Interstate, BaseCamp, or even a cute little Bambi.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #3796
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tomorrow is a "go" day, so I'm doing what I do the day before...tidying and cleaning a bit.

One of the decorative plastic pieces along the rear windows, that masks the screen area where they attach to the frame, has been loose and wobbly because the Velcro stripping has come loose. It's been loose for awhile.

So I pulled it out, tore off the mis-attached Velcro, wadded it up, and threw it away, knowing I had lots of Velcro tape in my toolbag with which to replace it. Not.

I have many yards of the fuzzy Velcro tape, not a single inch of the rougher texture stuff that I need to return this piece of plastic to its residence in my Interstate...not a single, inch.

So, it will float around in here until I stop somewhere tomorrow and buy some more....that lot will go as previous lots, using up the rougher texture side while accumulating the fuzzy side in my toolbag.

Why is it that only one side of the Velcro always needs replaced.

It's a conspiracy by Velcro to make us buy more tape.

When I was in WalMart the other day, I spied a bag identical to one I bought last year...on clearance for $5, covered with pretty little flowers, and beautiful red roses on a black background.

It was approaching Valentine's Day, and Doug led me to roses, that's what immediately came to mind...so, I bought it.

I now have two, identical, rose covered, canvas bags, which will hang one over the other in my hanging-things, storage area just inside the door....extra, off the floor, vertical storage.

And, roses.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #3797
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The picture doesn't do justice to the colors of these bags...which are gorgeous.

What they are is pretty, very inexpensive, vertical storage, and have gotten non-dog items out of the neighboring Duluth seat organizer which hangs behind the passenger seat.

And, roses. I like.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4312.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	279866  
Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #3798
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning.... if it's a go day, you're probably going already... bags are pretty..I can't figure where they're hanging??? Have wonderful day you two..hugs and love from out here...
Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #3799
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tomorrow is the "go" day, today is the getting-ready-to-go day.

I bought a couple of hook type jacket hangers a few years ago, that snap over the posts to the headrest of the passenger seat...they have been very handy, and are occasionally even used for a jacket.

That's where those bags are hanging, and there are other items on the other side of the seat....use of vertical space is a good thing.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #3800
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I love roses too. Those bags are great.

Have a safe trip, Maggie!