Old 05-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #253
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Riverside Flea Market in Grafton is nice, but small in scale if one has ever been to one of those that takes hours to get thru.......still fun to peruse, visit with vendors and listen to music.....old Don Mclean, Elton John, Johnny Cash, Jimmy Buffet.

My children will be happy to know I did not purchase another piece of cast iron, for them to dispense with when I am gone, and I didn't even see anything that called to me. Did find a small piece of purple glass to put on the shelf in my front window, and some really excellent, very reasonably priced summer sausage from one of those local places that makes it very lean. Grandson Caleb can eat that til you stop him.

Poked around Grafton and Alton a bit.......Lewis & Clark country, both lovely old river towns with brick and stone structures that appear to date from pre-Civil War and riverboat days. Sentinels to the past. Love it.

The Mississippi river holds a special place in my heart, as my 3rd great-grandparents, their 3 small children and her widowed mother traveled in 1806 from Grainger County, TN, down the Tennessee and Mississippi Rivers to Natchez, MS.

On three flatboats, lashed together, carrying the family, their livestock, and all worldly possessions.....the women poling the flatboats and the men standing guard with rifles. Settling into what were then the wilds of the Mississippi Territory, and beginning in 1808 a house that took 10 years to build......but is still standing and continuously lived in until just recently.

Up for sale, I was able to go inside of this house for the first time in January. Much of it still original, it was an almost spiritual experience. My great-grandmother and her father were both born and raised in that house, which withstood Grierson's raids......who stole everything edible they could carry.....and many ancestors are buried in the cemetery on the hill behind this house. Deep, deep, Mississippi roots.

The Grafton area would be spectacular in the fall, even in winter as bald eagles escape the frozen over north and do their fishing and hatching of offspring on the rocky bluffs down here. The grands would love it. I may have to come back.

Going to ferry back across the river tomorrow....because, why not....and head home up the Missouri side.

Maggie

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 05-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #254
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie!!! sounds like you're having a grand time!!! Yes, I have that cast iron issue myself... love the stuff!!! keep having fun!!! ... hugs and love, gail

Old 05-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #255
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Oh, and thank you so much for starting a new thread!!! I've missed you ... I just found this thread this morning... now I can tune in daily!!!... so glad you are there!!!!
Old 05-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #256
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You're so sweet, Gail.

So glad my babbling is entertaining for some people.

Thinking about our mutual friend......where is she?

Maggie

Old 05-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #257
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good that the AirForums app allows access when my bookmark on Safari will not.

Bad that there is no access to emoticons.

I love emoticons. Without them, I feel so.......expressionless.

Maggie

Old 05-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #258
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1432435282.296249.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	239043

Maggie, you may have seen this but when I saw it I thought of you.
1977 Overlander / 27' ~ The Attitude Adjuster
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #259
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I love it.

Thank you.

Maggie
Old 05-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #260
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Only from a ferry can one take a picture of the middle of the Mississippi River.....from the drivers seat of their Interstate.

For those unfamiliar with the carved wooden critter in the well on the dash of the Interstate......that is a "moose with a happy face", carved specially for that spot by a woodcarver near Devils Tower.

The carver set a 3lb coffee can in that well, to guage size, carved up my request and then shipped him home to us....2009, I believe.

Those are Edisto shells around him.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	239118  
Old 05-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #261
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I soldier on, trying to be and go and do much as before, and I'm doing pretty well, darn it, but a fully functioning widow's life is still very much a work in progress.

It was a nice getaway, very relaxing, lovely campground, a bit of poking around at things I enjoy....but, unless walking Lily or riding my bike, when at the campground I was inside reading or crocheting. My door was open 6-8", enough for fresh air but not so much that Lily could dart outside and intimidate passing dogs.

Much like sitting in a restaurant by myself, sitting outside alone at a campground feels like I have stepped onto another planet, and so I have avoided doing it unless I am there with people I know. I didn't even take a chair with me this weekend.

Doug and I would set up our chairs outside the Interstate within reaching distance of each other. We would hold hands and sip our coffee, or one of us would lay our hand on the arm of the other. Not every second, but often. It is just so odd to have that vacant space where his chair once was....like the empty space across the table in a restaurant.

A lovely couple about my age were across the road from me this weekend. Dave and Lorraine, cohabitating happily as many seniors seem to do, sans marriage. He divorced, she a widow of 5 years, in their very first motorhome they bought rather on impulse and have been out in a week. Heading to Colorado and having a great time. We chatted here and there over several days, as you do with friendly neighbors at campgrounds.

As I headed out to walk Lily yesterday afternoon, he teased me about spending so much time inside, so we three sat and talked some about that piece of my new life I am resisting. He got it, she got it. He said "I have a heart for widows....I worked for widows, and understand them." Sweet man, who found himself a nice widow woman he seems very comfortable with....so much so that they have set out traveling together.

I'm happy for them, and enjoyed visiting with them.....but my husband is gone, and I'm still adjusting, is the truth. Some things you can't avoid, as they are those activities of daily living. The things I can put off, and do one at a time, when I'm ready, I just do.

I've begun listening to music on the radio in the car, still haven't put a CD in since Doug died. I will, one of these days.

As I said goodbye to Dave and Lorraine this morning....sitting at their campfire, drinking their coffee.....he said "Maggie.....you need to sit outside."

I told him I would work on that. Nice, kind, people.

Kindness missionaries encouraging a still-adjusting widow to step out of her comfort zone.

Maggie
Old 05-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #262
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Hi Maggie,

Your writing and sharing is very honest and heartfelt. I so appreciate this.

It sounds to me that you are taking good care of yourself. As you know, there is no timeline or linear path to healing from such a loss. One simply moves forward doing one's best to perhaps feel more deeply when possible and know that each moment will bring a new feeling.

Chris
Old 05-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #263
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
[QUOTE=Lily&Me;1625813]You're so sweet, Gail.

So glad my babbling is entertaining for some people.

Thinking about our mutual friend......where is she?

here soon... in a week or so... I'll keep you posted!!! and I love your threads.... it feels like we're chatting.... love it!!! Hugs
Old 05-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #264
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Is this not the most gorgeous color for a sun hat!?

I am not a hat person, but if I must wear one.....it's going to be pretty.

SPF 50+, a nice wide brim....16" across....and on sale at EBags.

Might not be a lifetime hat, but it will lay flat to pack, I like the color and the wide brim.

Who said..."when I get old, I shall wear purple"....

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #265
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Lovely hat. Why not a red one too? That would expand your comfort zone.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #266
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think one purple hat will do me for now.

Maggie

« The Argue Thread | Top | - »