Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #3721
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Laundry done up, tanks emptied, fresh water and propane filled.

Ready to go in the am, after I meet for breakfast my dinner benefactors from the other night.

They invited me to go to Bingo with them last night, apparently quite the weekly institution for the seasonal and permanent locals here, but I declined.

After my choring was done today, picked up a shrimp dinner to go from Sting Ray's, recommended by the office folks here.

Delicious, with a bowl of crab soup/stew in the frig to be enjoyed another day.

Only the tiniest of parking lots at this restaurant, I was resigned to metered parking simply to pick up my food when a young lady pulling out across the street offered me her machine dispensed ticket, good for another 30 minutes. How sweet!

It has been an extraordinarily good week here, for a place I have never been before, and only had heard was pretty.

Not only pretty, but unusually friendly...I may have mentioned that.

If there was ever a week where I especially needed friendly, this was definitely one of those.

Never underestimate the power of your kind word or deed...you just never know how much it might mean to the recipient, or how badly they might need it.

Maggie
Old 01-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #3722
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Had a delicious breakfast and excellent company this morning, then headed on into Savannah...where, after a walk, I decided not to stay the night.

On to SC and Beaufort, where we will look up the Gullah History Museum in the morning and hopefully make a second tour thru there.

Nothing new and exciting, just checkin' in.

Maggie
Old 01-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #3723
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi there.. thx for checking in... I look for you daily, ya know!! That was so neat about the ladies you met... ok, continue on!!! catch ya later... hugs and love from here...
Old 01-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #3724
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They are very nice ladies, and I think I will see them again.

A fair amount in common, we seem to have.

Maggie
Old 01-29-2017, 04:33 PM   #3725
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Hi Maggie! Glad to hear you & Lily are headed this way! A little chilly today but a high of 70 expected on Wed then back to normal after. Should be good beach walking weather!

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #3726
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Jane!

I'll be in Charleston for 2 weeks, beginning Thursday, so hope we can get together at least once.

Going to do some exploring of Edisto here soon, as I just have to.

Maggie
Old 01-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #3727
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Spent some time poking around beautiful, historic (est. 1711) Beaufort this morning...old, old, well preserved homes, hanging moss on live oaks, shrubs blooming.

At roads end in the Historic District are these signs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4250.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	278947  
Old 01-31-2017, 05:49 AM   #3728
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We spent Sunday night in a WalMart parking lot...not because we had to, but because I wanted to.

It was convenient, and it is good know you can, that everything works, etc.

However....it was cold, and when it's cold or hot, electricity is really best.

It is not good when the only time you are really warm is covered head to toe in microfleece, and under the down comforter.

Yes I ran the furnace, but it is inadequate to protect from the chill that comes thru the walls. Thank you, but no.

We are til tomorrow in a decent, sprawling campground on Saint Helena Island, where there is wifi, cable, and plenty of room for Lily to run...also, electricity to run my little space heater.

Have just finished "Wildflowers of Terezin", a fiction-based-on-facts book on the Holocaust...good, but not extraordinary, and I like first person accounts best...and it is difficult to look at current events and not relate them to what occurred with the Jewish population in Europe, how it began.

We cannot paint with a broad brush.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4254.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	278981  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #3729
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning there...a move day!! Always exciting when we get to a new CG... That's easy for me to say, sitting here in my chair while you do all the work...hahaha... ok, enjoy the day!! Pats and love and hugs from here...
Old 02-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #3730
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail,

We have not only moved....we're at Edisto Beach til tomorrow, having gotten a site in the Live Oak Campground.

Going to beach walk and poke around, get a meal at a local restaurant, spend a little money, check out storm damage.

Maggie
Old 02-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #3731
Rivet Master

Maggie, good to know you're at your beloved Edisto beach, if even for a brief stay. I hope the storm damage is not too bad. Have fun. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #3732
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You can tell there's been a storm thru here, but overall it's not as bad as I expected.

The beach campground is, of course, closed, but the beach on that part of the island looks essentially the same, from what I could see.

The beachfront for the houses on Palmetto looks pretty bad, tho, and a fellow walker said the erosion is much worse there from just last week.

Lots of folks out working on the houses, and big bulldozers are still in place, so I'm sure there is a plan....perhaps the mounds of gravel I saw are going to go out there, to push the sea back a bit.

They live with bad storms and hurricanes here...it's a part of life, like tornadoes at home.

Still, sad to see a beloved place damaged, like NOLA after Katrina.

So, we had a good walk, Lily chased a few seagulls and got in the water, then we had seafood tacos on the outside porch at McConkeys...where the waiter brought Lily a bowl of water.

She, who lay nicely beneath my table while I ate, waiting for her bite. Such a good girl.

Got a few fresh things at the grocer here, and are settled into our campsite.

On to Charleston tomorrow, where I need to find an AutoZone for perhaps a fuse...

Maggie
Old 02-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #3733
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hi Maggie,
Although we've never met, I frequently follow your adventures.
Could you tell me more about Edisto LiveOak CG? We visited early April last spring returning from a month long trip to Florida. We really liked the LiveOak CG and were considering booking a stay for this May. Is there much damage to the sites at LiveOak?
Thanks so much & safe travels,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #3734
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi there, and glad to help.

I see no damage whatsoever, and suspect there were just some downed branches here and there, where the beach campground basically filled with sand and the infrastructure of the campground was damaged throughout.

There are some lovely sites here, looking onto the marshes....we just were always partial to the beach campground.

So, I would say... if you can get a site, go for it!

I was surprised to find a vacancy here, and there were actually a number of them for me to choose from, but it is only early February...

Maggie
Old 02-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #3735
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Thanks Maggie!
We're anxious to plan our first trip for 2017, especially with our new puppy we adopted in November. Since we camped the past two years with a very senior pup....we know we'll have some challenges ahead. We loved that SC beaches were dog friendly. Since you know the Edisto Beach area....any tips would be appreciated. The 5 days we spent last spring we discovered great seafood shop, book store and beautiful beaches. Have you experienced and kayaking in the area? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #3736
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
No, no kayaking for me...if I were even to think about it now, there is the Lily factor.

I don't know the area well, just Edisto, itself....and, it's all about the beach, for us, and always has been.

We like McConkeys, because it is close, and the dog can be on their outdoor deck , but there are a few other restaurants down here as well.

Jane (skitique) may chime in here with more information.

What's not to love about Edisto.

I've been on a number of these barrier islands in the past few weeks, and this one is the prettiest, in my opinion...tho it may be the memory-holding factor, too.

Come...you will enjoy.

Maggie
Old 02-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #3737
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We took an early morning trek down to the beach this morning, for a Lily romp and walk...still a beautiful place, with a few folks sitting out in beach chairs, and some fishing.

There is "re-nourishment" going on here, where sand is being pumped back to try to restore the beach, nearly obliterated in places from the hurricane.

Tourism is way down, locals say, and businesses are struggling a bit...what happens after natural disasters, it takes time to get everything up and running again.

Sad, and hard to see. I made some small contributions to the local economy.

I backed into my site yesterday to find a woman about my age setting up in the site behind me...in a tent, with air mattress and bedding, Coleman stove, cooler, etc. A better woman than me.

She is Camp hosting near Aiken, Ga, and came down here on a couple of days off...where she was supposed to be Camp hosting this winter, til the storm hit.

Kids grown and on their own, she sold her house a few years ago and bought a big 5th wheel, spending 6 months out of the year at a state park near Cincinnati, near her kids and grands, and hauling that rig to camp hosting sites during the winter. Yikes.

With her was a sweet, black lab mix named Noah, and a tempermental little dachshund...all in that little tent.

The dogs staked out their respective territories, and all behaved well.

We had a nice visit, shared a few stories, and she invited me to stop by her summer gig on my way east this summer...which I will probably do.

There are a fair number of women alone out on the road, but this is the first I have met with such a big rig.

And so, we are settled now into our site at James Island CP, where waiting for me was an Instant Pot I ordered last week...replacing my crock pot and hot plate, which were left at a Salvation Army donation center a few days ago.

Time for something different, multi-purpose, and more efficient in here, and I'm looking forward to experimenting with it...will do something meat over the weekend.

Going to visit McLeod Plantation while I'm here, spend some time with local friends, and do some other poking around, but mostly enjoy this lovely place and plan my next move...helping daughter and SIL settle into their new house in a couple of weeks.

Maggie
Old 02-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #3738
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Did up laundry this morning, including my rugs....which don't seem that dirty, and are shaken and vacuumed regularly...until when washed they are noticeably brighter.

I love this campground, and it feels a bit like coming home, as favorite places we return to do.

Several familiar Camp host faces...people who come and stay all year round, and nice to have face to face conversations with friendly folks.

I cooked Mexican Chicken in my new Instant Pot today...about 30 minutes, starting with frozen chicken I had with me.

I'm going to love this item, tho it required rearranging my lower kitchen cupboard to make it a space to live, but that's okay because it gives one a chance to see what all is in there, and clean a bit.

I managed to dislocate a hinge on one of the cabinet doors in the process, tho, and after trying in vain to get it back in place, and straining my back in the process, I hailed a young man going by on a bicycle and asked him if he could fix it for me. He got it back in place in about 3 seconds.

We have already walked and biked and walked and walked...Lily still doing extremely well on a short leash as we bike, trotting right by barking dogs as if they weren't even there.

Good girl, Lily.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4257.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	279133  
Old 02-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #3739
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning there... or afternoon now....I looked you new pot up... I may have to get one... I wondered about you giving up the hot plate.. but since this one browns as well, why not..
Ok, just checking in here.... it's nice "we're" at the beach with you.... there is another ice storm going thru... on the Portland side... cars and trucks sliding all over the place.. ugh...let's go walk on the beach again!!!! Hahaha.... hugs and love.. the chicken looks good...
Old 02-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #3740
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie sounds like the trip is going quite well.

With the storm damage how are the Edisto Shell pickings this year. Have you found some new candle vessels.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote