Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #3661
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
She would have been very confused, indeed.

Lots of dog owners out here...I figured there had to be someplace for them to go, or dog people wouldn't be here.

It's always a bit cooler at the beach, too...more breeze.

Going to pull out my Sun Umbrella for the next ones....if you've never seen these, they are excellent...portable shade.

http://www.umbrellasandbeyond.com/category/sun.html

Mine is actually a GustBuster...https://www.amazon.com/GustBuster-Su.../dp/B0009E3EGY

Perfect for the over-heater and Danish ancestry me that wants to burn thru anything.

Maggie
Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #3662
Rivet Master

Have fun on the beach, Maggie. I'm sure Lily is over the moon happy to run the beach with you. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #3663
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
She was quite happy...three beach walks on three separate beaches, and we looked at all of the public beaches on Amelia Island.

There is one just over the bridge, which I think will become our daily go-to while here, as it is close and has a somewhat shaded but very small parking lot...less crowded.

I found a Harris Teeter on the island, too, should groceries be needed.

Really a lovely area, tho much more developed than Edisto... by far, my favorite of all of these barrier islands.

I'll get a picture of my site after a bit.

Maggie
Old 01-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #3664
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4208.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	661.5 KB
ID:	278368  
Old 01-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #3665
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Rivers end rv park, Tybee island, Savannah beach.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #3666
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Had my coffee and we were at the beach by 8:30 this morning...took a long walk, dodging other dogs whose owners were also letting theirs run in the quiet early morn.

Lily was very good, staying right with me and not engaging, tho one less,well behaved came right up to her and sniffed her behind before his owner could get to us.

Good girl, Lily.

Had some breakfast and another cup of coffee, did a little food prep, and then we took a second walk with my portable shade umbrella.

By the time the sun is high in the sky, it is too hot and too humid to be out there...so after that, we left.

I'm sorry, I know it is very cold in some parts of the country, but it is warmer here than I would like...and certainly more humid. There, I said it.

Florida is having an unusually mild winter, which is good for some, but I am not a heat-seeker...not now, not ever. I'm not complaining, just acknowledging the state of things.

There is a very large woodpecker of some sort, with a very large beak, who pecks hard early each morning near our site....not too early for me, as I seldom sleep til daylight ... but it is a busy fella, and I need to get my binoculars out to see if I can identify it.

I wonder if it is a piliated woodpecker, as they are bigger than your average woodpecker.

There is a Fishing Bridge to Amelia Island, running parallel to A1A, which I am enthralled with.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...e-Crady-Bridge

No vehicles, but dozens of people out there, safe from traffic, fishing their little hearts out.

I love it.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #3667
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It rained in the night, waking me up to close my roof vent.

88% humidity at 10am, with an expected high of 76 degrees here.

I broke down, and turned on the AC. In January.

Shook the rugs and did some cleaning, and we are skipping the drive to the beach today.

Lily is also very tired, so we will walk, check out the nature trails, and watch the inauguration proceedings...I can't help it, I feel I must.

Inside, with the AC on, coming to you from Talbot Island.

Maggie
Old 01-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #3668
Rivet Master

Good for you, Maggie. No matter which party we prefer, when our party wins or when the other party wins....this is an historic moment for us all.no other country in this world shares the freedoms that we have. To observe the peaceful transfer of power, is a freedom we should not miss.

I pray that the changes will be good for us all. There is so much to do and I hope he can rise to the occasion.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #3669
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
A Bit of Trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Had my coffee and we were at the beach by 8:30 this morning...took a long walk, dodging other dogs whose owners were also letting theirs run in the quiet early morn.

Lily was very good, staying right with me and not engaging, tho one less,well behaved came right up to her and sniffed her behind before his owner could get to us.

Good girl, Lily.

Had some breakfast and another cup of coffee, did a little food prep, and then we took a second walk with my portable shade umbrella.

By the time the sun is high in the sky, it is too hot and too humid to be out there...so after that, we left.

I'm sorry, I know it is very cold in some parts of the country, but it is warmer here than I would like...and certainly more humid. There, I said it.

Florida is having an unusually mild winter, which is good for some, but I am not a heat-seeker...not now, not ever. I'm not complaining, just acknowledging the state of things.

There is a very large woodpecker of some sort, with a very large beak, who pecks hard early each morning near our site....not too early for me, as I seldom sleep til daylight ... but it is a busy fella, and I need to get my binoculars out to see if I can identify it.

I wonder if it is a piliated woodpecker, as they are bigger than your average woodpecker.

There is a Fishing Bridge to Amelia Island, running parallel to A1A, which I am enthralled with.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...e-Crady-Bridge

No vehicles, but dozens of people out there, safe from traffic, fishing their little hearts out.

I love it.

Maggie
Maggie,

The George Crady fishing bridge was named for a very close friend of my father-in-law. When we lived in southwest Florida and my husband was having surgery in Jacksonville, Mr. and Mrs. Crady came to the hospital and waited with me since we had no family in the area. They are truly fine people. Glad you enjoyed the bridge.

Susan
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #3670
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a nice story, Susan. Thanks for sharing it.

The bridge is pretty cool, obviously beloved and well used.

A whole lot of fishing goin' on down here....poles with lines in the water everywhere you look.

I talked with a woman today who said this campground made them feel like Robinson Crusoe.

She and her husband have hammocks strung between trees, icicle lights hanging everywhere....real camping, and pretty cute.

Maggie
Old 01-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #3671
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Did up the bedding and laundry, dumped the tanks, then went back to our little stretch of beach...that allows dogs, and which does not heavily police the leash requirement as lots of well behaved dogs are off leash near their owners and playing there.

Lily likes to run, chase the waves and frolic in the water, but you would not call her a swimmer as that has only been an involuntary activity for her.

She does enjoy it tho, with me barefoot, walking alongside her in the sand and water...a small bit of heaven for we Illinoisians.

My kids tell me I should always carry my phone when I am walking or biking, but I have been really loathe to do that, as I just don't want to.

So we walked and walked, sat under the sunbrella's shade for awhile, walked some more, then turned back...walked and walked, and then... where is our beach entrance, everything looks the same.

After a bit of wandering, and some help from a woman with a phone who pulled up google maps, we found our way back to the way we came, the parking lot, and the Interstate.

Can I call someone for you? she asked several times...no one to call, and I am not senile, just momentarily confused at all of the same-looking-from-the-beach buildings.

It was a little funny, but not really.

Lots of young families in tents at the campground for the weekend.

Nice.

Maggie
Old 01-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #3672
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning Maggie.. you two are having a grand time!! And so are us followers!!! I always carry my phone... just "in case"... keep having fun there... hugs and love from out here!!!
Old 01-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #3673
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail!

We are having a good time, yes we are.

Going to start to head north tomorrow, and visit Doug's memorial bench in Brunswick.

Going to again skip the campground in St. Marys, tho....I may never go back there, is the truth.

And, it's okay.

Maggie
Old 01-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #3674
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Did a small bit of choring this morning, and then drove as far as Brunswick, GA til tomorrow....nasty storms working their way thru this area til late tonight.

Was torn between coming on here, or driving south far enough to avoid them...decided to proceed cautiously, and go.

We are directly across from the bathhouse, which will serve as shelter in the event a tornado is headed our way , tho it looks like the worst of it will pass north of here.

It has cooled off a bit, hallelujah.

We will drink tea and crochet this afternoon, visit the bench in the am.

I'll get a picture.

Maggie
Old 01-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #3675
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Stay safe, Maggie. Our son in Tallahassee said they got a real deluge with hail this morning. Hope the storm stays west of you!
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #3676
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you...the hail has missed us, so far, and the worst of the storm is going around, but there is lots of rain...

Lily is staying very close.

Maggie
Old 01-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #3677
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Hi Maggie,

Where are you staying in Brunswick? We have stayed a couple of times at Blythe Island Regional Park, a Glynn county park.

Safe Travels.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #3678
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi you two!

Have been to Blythe Island a couple of times, and it is lovely, but chose a PA campground this time...because I knew the storms were coming, and didn't want to be under those huge oaks.

At GoldenIsle RV Park...unexciting, but perfectly satisfactory for the night, and with free WiFi so I have backed up ICloud and updated apps for the first time since I left home.

Rain has stopped for a bit, so am going to get Miss Lily out for a walk.

Maggie
Old 01-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #3679
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So the storms have passed, and the rest of the night should be quiet.

At the height of this last line, we evacuated to the bath house when I could hear the wind whirring and my phone alerted there was a tornado on the ground in Glynn County and Brunswick was in the path.

Absolutely pouring rain, sloshing thru several inches of water standing on the ground...off we went.

No one else came, not even from the two Class B's that pulled in next to me.

No tornado here, the Brunswick in the path was apparently well east of where we are.

Ahh, well...better safe than sorry.

Maggie
Old 01-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #3680
Rivet Master

Maggie, so glad the bad storm missed you! I have been following path of storms and tornadoes near you. My heavens, the devastation is terrible in some areas. Thankful that you and Lily are safe. Good for you for seeking safe shelter...apparently, you are more cautious than some others. A trailer or motor home is no place to be in such a storm. Stay safe, my friend! God bless you and keep you safe. Evelyn.