Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #3621
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our site here...cement pads are good in sandy areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4168.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	457.9 KB
ID:	277988  
Old 01-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #3622
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning Maggie... it's snowed here last night.. here on the coast!!! Very pretty... however it also snowed on the Portland side and that's a mess... freeways clogged, schools and businesses closed...
Your spot looks very inviting... that's really good you can bike with Lily... yes, broader horizons!!! enjoy it all... hugs and love to the two of you
Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #3623
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I did take a walk on the beach about 10 this morning, where I saw at least three sets of fresh dog tracks...early morning and after dark seems to be when owners get their dogs out to run.

There is another dog owning couple here from CanOpener...Todd and Susie... and we are going to head out after dark tonight...

It is truly a lovely place, with a few pretty shells found by me this morning and a larger pile brought to me by Karen a bit ago....serious bird-ers, those two, who did a 2 1/2 hour beach walk and bird observation trek this morning.

Nice to have a bit of company.

Maggie
Old 01-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #3624
Rivet Master

The beach sounds lovely, Maggie. Good that you found a way to get Lily out on beach walks, under the cloak of darkness. (Wink-wink)! Kudos on finding a way to bike and run Lily at same time. She must have been smiling all the way!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #3625
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It apparently is a common night-time practice, as I have been told by others.

She is enjoying the bike rides, and staying right with me even when we pass another dog.

My big fear was that she would take off after another dog, a rabbit, etc. and pull me over...and I don't need that,

We've been twice today.

Maggie
Old 01-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #3626
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If you let them run loose, how do you clean up their poop? Bad surprise first thing in the morning on a morning walk on the beach.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #3627
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Because we will be out in the moonlight, and with flashlights, no worries about not seeing Lily poop...but thanks for the concern.

The moonlit beach is why people go.

Bags in hand, Lily is always picked up after.

Maggie
Old 01-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #3628
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Carrier-of-Rumtopf-to-CanOpener, now holder-of-Florida-seashells.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4181.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	278023  
Old 01-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #3629
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
That's beautiful Maggie.... the shells... Oregon, being very dog friendly as you know, allows them on almost all beaches... I see people with their dogs, dog dumps, they walk right on by!!! WHAT!!! I suppose by morning the tide takes care of it... I would never do that.... there's karma ya know... you may step in the next one!!!... enjoying "our" trip...keep having fun!!! Hugs and love from here...
Old 01-12-2017, 04:25 AM   #3630
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We went with Todd, Susie, and their dog Zena for a long beach walk in the moonlight last night...beautiful, and we had the beach entirely to ourselves.

The dogs had a great time, Zena's lighted collar making her an interesting moving object in the far distance...may need to get one of those for Lily, just because they're cool.

She was quite the tired dog.

Going to shake some rugs and do some tidying up today, as we will pull out of here in the morning.

Maggie
Old 01-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #3631
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hello Maggie
You are close to Apalachicola where Richard Bickel has a gallery displaying some of his work. He is originally from the Chicago area and has now lived on the panhandle for several years where he has captured the beauty of both the landscape and the people. He is normally in his gallery.
Apalachicola is to me what Edisto is to you. Although we normally stay at St George Island State Park, it has been several years since we stayed at St Joes but your comment about them having cement pads means we will stop by again in March on our return north. Thanks for that bit of info. Happy Trails. Jim
Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #3632
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for those tips, Jim.

Karen & Richard invited me to go into Apalachicola with them the other day, but I didn't want to leave lily here by herself that long. I think my first husband was living there when I tracked him down in the early 80's to get child support.

I've heard a lot about St. George Island, and think I will drive down in there tomorrow when I leave...going to hug the coast and see what there is to see.

Not all of the sites here have cement pads, tho a number of them do...the sand still finds its way in, but not as much.

I've shaken rugs and my runner this morning...but, it's the beach.

Maggie
Old 01-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #3633
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I got things packed up and ready to go late yesterday, had my second shower and shampoo of the day...very humid ...and so only had to unhook the electricity and put in the bike to leave this morning.

Drove through and around Apalachicola...every bit as lovely, unspoiled and charming as I had heard.

Very reminiscent of Key West, minus all the tourists and trappings of heavy tourist towns.

East along the coast, and saw the first pelicans of this trip...also a number of what I feel sure were great blue herons.

I called St. George Island, not really expecting they would have a campground vacancy for tonight....they were packed full, with a waiting list, so I did not drive in there.

I did find a site in Wood Lake Camp in the Apalachicola NF near Sopchoppy....no amenities, but free, and we are backed up to the forest, in mostly shade, with a lake in front of us.

Here til the am.

Maggie
Old 01-14-2017, 05:34 AM   #3634
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When you are traveling without reservations, you take what you can find in overnight spots...being small, there are many more options than when towing a trailer.

On a weekend, however...especially a holiday weekend... options are still there, but fewer.

All part of the adventure, and the freedom.

I headed for this NF site I spied on the map yesterday, hoping for a spot, and found one I was very comfortable with.

The primary campground is up the hill a bit, an open area where I would have felt rather exposed...and, ummm, very out of place...in my shiny, more recent vintage, Interstate.

That's what you find sometimes in out of the way NF sites, and it's okay.

Proceeding toward the lake, I backed into a level, cleared area surrounded by forest, with the lake in front of us.

Pretty, quiet, a bit sheltered and out of the way for me and Miss Lily.

I got a picture of it, which I will post later, as I don't have enough signal to get it uploaded here...I have tried.

There was some campfire revelry by a group of young men up the hill last night, but it settled down at a reasonable hour, and we slept well.

Drinking my coffee this morning, the fishermen began coming in to drop their boats into the lake....and park near me, who is perhaps in the area most often used for vehicles while owners are on the lake.

Was I at all afraid out here by myself?

Not for a moment.

Onward towards Crawfordsville this morning, will find a laundromat and eventually another spot to tuck into for the night.

Maggie
Old 01-14-2017, 06:14 AM   #3635
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sunset isle rv resort in cedar key. Old style cg, a favorite of the tin can tourists.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #3636
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Jim.

Our site last night....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4183.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	715.6 KB
ID:	278122  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #3637
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Took a drive thru the very pretty town of Sopchoppy this morning, got some coffee and headed to Crawfordville in search of a laundromat.

Met a fellow traveler there, a woman about my age in a Rialto who had never heard of the PocketEarth or AllStays apps.

i enlightened her, and we had a nice visit in and amongst dealing with bedding, towels, etc.

Heading back toward 98, I passed a county park campground on the St. Mark's River that had a vacancy sign, so lucked into an inexpensive W/E site for the night....including a sparkling clean bathhouse, with hot showers.

This is a very pretty part of the state, with moss hung trees, beautiful old homes, and an unspoiled quality to it that you don't see in the more populated areas.

Lily has had another walk, laundry is put away and I am looking for something to crochet...

Maggie
Old 01-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #3638
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Maggie, if you back track a bit to Carabelle/Lanark Village, all the beaches along 98 are dog friendly 24 hours a day. Lillie can run to her heart's content while you amble along and enjoy the sea air. My ponies have run many a mile along that part of the coastline.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #3639
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Took a little drive I'm my virtual Google earth car. It does look really pretty there.

Saw the area between the Wakulla and the Marks Rivers. Even saw a photo that said manatee area. Looking forward to seeing one in its natural habitat someday.

The St Marks Lighthouse looks pretty also with a nice walking loop area.

Keep having fun and proving us a pretty Fodor's advance tour of all we'll see in Florida someday.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #3640
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for that information, SeeMore, and I will file it away for future reference.

Just got a site at Talbot Island for a few days next week, so am heading that direction.

Also in search of oranges....seems to me there was an excellent roadside stand in the Lake City area, or thereabouts.

Maggie