Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #3601
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi, Deb, and good to hear from you.

Went to the Donut Hole with new friends for lunch today.

You know, I would always prefer cold to heat, so as long as I'm reasonably comfortable, I'm good.

It has cleared up, and the sun is shining today, so...

Maggie
Old 01-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #3602
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hey, if after your rally you can find a spot at Destin State Park just down the road a bit, it's a wonderful place to visit, for as long as you can get a campsite!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #3603
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Bill, I might look into that.

Maggie
Old 01-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #3604
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Cold or heat?? I like perfect... however, right now, it cold and snowing... I'm inside, warm and have a wood stove, so enjoying looking at it... keep having fun!!! We all expect it!!! Hahaha... hugs and love from the snowy Oregon coast...
Old 01-08-2017, 04:40 AM   #3605
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I enjoyed visiting with a fellow crafter at the happy hour last evening, then dinner out with a couple from the Wyoming trip that are here and a large, very hospitable group of others from their Florida unit.

Fresh crab cakes, live jazz and lots of conversation. Nice.

Lots of folks will pull out today, we are staying til tomorrow and then joining up with the WY couple for a few days at St. Joseph's Peninsula SP a bit east of here....looks like a beautiful spot, tho Florida beaches are not dog friendly we will enjoy it nonetheless.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/St-Joseph

Having a nice time, tho it is still quite cold.....but, nothing like home.

Maggie
Old 01-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #3606
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Say hi to the WY couple for us. Mas Tierra by any chance? FL is their home state after all.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #3607
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Enjoy the warm. 5 Deg. F and snowing here.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #3608
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Hi Lilly, I sent your human the coordinates of the dog friendly beach near St Joseph SP...lots of running room..just park by the side of the road and strike out...

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #3609
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I got that, Al, marked it on my PocketEarth map and we will be stopping there tomorrow. Thank you.

Hi Gerard. Yes, it is Richard & Karen, who couldn't be more enjoyable and we have had some interesting conversations, comparing notes from the summer.

It is still quite chilly, but the sun is out and everyone staying til tomorrow is doing up laundry.

My clean comforter is hanging out in the breeze and sun, and will smell heavenly come bedtime tonight.

I have identified a leak coming from my water pump, causing a drip every time I use the water, so a highly recommended mobile unit will be here in a couple of hours to repair it.

This rig is 11 years old, stuff wears out, it's all part of the privilege of travel.

I have just ordered pizza delivery, having spoken with the manager at one place to beg an exception to come past the gate.

Good business, I told him, and I will give the driver a generous tip.

Maggie
Old 01-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #3610
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wel, I am the proud owner of a brand-new ShurFlo water pump, professionally installed by Lacey's RV Service, right here at my site at Topsail.

What more can one ask for....service with a smile, they had the pump I needed, and they came to me.

I've been gone from home a week, have replaced my coach battery and now my water pump.

Other than those items, this week has been a very good beginning to 2017.

A lovely visit with Al & Patti on the way down, and a very nice, warm group here.

It's a sign.

Maggie
Old 01-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #3611
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Did a small bit of choring this morning, then set out for St. Joseph's Peninsula SP, finally finding a car wash with a truck bay in Port St. Joe....so we are not only settled in here, we are clean.

This is not a fur piece from Topsail, but a rather slow and winding drive along the coast...the white sands of the panhandle are lovely.

There is no cell service here to speak of, but I did find 2 bars of Verizon LTE ...having some internet connection is good, tho I do have friends here to visit with, and there is also another couple from TopSail who made their way here.

We have a mini-rally, already.

This is a beautiful place on a tiny peninsula out in the Gulf, with cement pads and paved roads throughout....always nice to be able to keep the sand out of your rig.

Will be here til Friday, then.....

Maggie
Old 01-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #3612
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Did a small bit of choring this morning, then set out for St. Joseph's Peninsula SP, finally finding a car wash with a truck bay in Port St. Joe....so we are not only settled in here, we are clean.

This is not a fur piece from Topsail, but a rather slow and winding drive along the coast...the white sands of the panhandle are lovely.

There is no cell service here to speak of, but I did find 2 bars of Verizon LTE ...having some internet connection is good, tho I do have friends here to visit with, and there is also another couple from TopSail who made their way here.

We have a mini-rally, already.

This is a beautiful place on a tiny peninsula out in the Gulf, with cement pads and paved roads throughout....always nice to be able to keep the sand out of your rig.

Will be here til Friday, then.....

Maggie

It's always good for a mini Rally!

Rachel
1962 Tradewind "Agnes"

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #3613
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've met the nicest people already on this trip, and I'm only a week out.

Lots of nice folks at CanOpener, and yesterday after choring I decided to take myself out for breakfast and shared a table in a crowded restaurant with another woman about my age.... also there by herself.

Exchanged first names, and had a lovely conversation while we ate.

This morning, I am walking Lily and come across another woman about my age who has been with two little dogs in a tent at this SP for the past week...she has been on medical leave from her job due to lung cancer, has had surgery, chemo and now a clean bill of health, taking a trip to places she has never been before she returns to work next month.

She has been fishing in the ocean, and cooking what she catches.

We had a great visit and she had some helpful tips about where to take our dogs, and how deserted the beach is after dark ...because no one here goes on the beach at night, characterizing it as "spooky".

She takes her flashlight...and goes.

I have a flashlight that could probably signal our astronauts in space...going to give it a try tonight.

I told her of the LowCountry, its many areas suitable for kayaking, Cumberland Island, etc. She is camping in a tent, and at least in her mid-60's.

A better woman than I, who likes to be off the ground and have many of the comforts of home.

Have done what I could to clean and hose down my awning this morning, out for the first time this year.

A lovely place, and we are going to enjoy it.

IPad is on EST, phone still on CST.

Maggie
Old 01-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #3614
Rivet Master

Maggie, so nice to see you having such a good time. Where to next?
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #3615
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Evelyn,

I will be here until Friday, then east and inland some, toward the Jacksonville area.

Have just had my first bike ride of this trip...temps are to be in the mid 60's today, and only slightly cooler overnight, so I have put the space heater away for awhile, can get out of microfleece, etc.

Maggie
Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #3616
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Maggie, it was so nice to meet you at Canopener. I met you at the Chili Feed when you brought in your Rumtoph (sp) that was fantastic. I wish you would share your recipe. Sounds like you are having a fantastic trip. I love your sense of adventure. Hope to see you down the road. You take care. I look forward to following your travels.

Judy
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #3617
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Judy!

I remember you introducing yourself, and you gave me a hug.

Glad you liked the Rumtopf.

I thought it was pretty darned tasty, and the liqueur off it especially delicious.

A friend of mine made this with dark rum, which I may try next time. I started mine last spring with raspberries, then added blueberries, nectarines, and peaches, as each came in to season.

I thought those flavors would combine well, and they did seem to. My recipe said not to stir it when you make each addition, just add the fruit, sprinkle with sugar, cover with rum.

The recipe I used I believe was on paper, pulled out of something, as I can't find it on the IPad, but this is from Mother Earth News and basically the same.

I used a large glass crock with a corked lid, that I found at the Meier store at home...made by Anchor Hocking, I believe.

I just poured into a capped bottle the dredges from the bottom of the jar I brought for the rally. I will use it at some point.

Rumtopf

• Seasonal fruit
• 1 cup sugar per pound of fruit
• 108-proof rum

1. Start with a 1-gallon, wide-mouth glass canning jar, or with a 1- to 3-gallon classic rumtopf crock. Add fruit, prepared as you prefer, and sprinkle a cup of sugar over each pound of fruit. Pour in rum to cover the fruit.

2. Keep the fruit submerged in the rum. You can do this by putting wax paper directly on the surface of the liquid, or, if the container is wide enough, by weighting the fruit down. A plate with a closed jar of water on top (as long as it will fit inside the container) will work well.

3. Keep adding different fruits as they come into season, plus additional rum and sugar each time.

4. After the rumtopf jar is full, cover it and store it away from direct light. Age it for a minimum of 3 months before serving. Before that, the flavor may be harsh, but as it ages it will become deliciously mellow.

5. After the rumtopf has aged, lift out the boozy fruit with a slotted spoon and use it to top ice cream, cakes, custards, puddings, and other desserts. After the fruit is gone, serve the fruit-infused rum as a digestif or in cocktails.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #3618
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A first!

I just took my second bike ride of the day, with Lily on her short fabric leash running alongside of me.

Doug always did this, I was afraid to for fear she would pull me down, but I told her she needed to stay with Grandma...and, she did.

Good for her, good for me...the first of many.

Maggie
Old 01-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #3619
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Congrats on the bike ride!!! I'm drooling after reading your rumtoph recipe... now I will have to make some!!! Hugs and love Maggie.. pats for mz lily...keep having fun!!!! It's good for you!!!
Old 01-11-2017, 04:48 AM   #3620
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gail!

This is a beautiful place...if only they allowed dogs on the beach.

I may take a stroll out there by myself after a bit, tho it makes me feel disloyal.

I was surprised how easy it was to leash her and bike. I'd been afraid to try it, but she did really well, which will expand our horizons a great deal.

I slept with my windows open last night.

Maggie