Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #3581
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hope you feel better soon, Evelyn.

Got a new coach battery installed in Montgomery, Simmons Batteries had what I needed and got me right in.

Not an Interstate, but an AGM...everything is up and running again.

Have had a nice visit and delicious meal with Al & Patti, ready to tuck in for the night here very shortly.

All is well, I am just tired. Lily is already down for the count.

Maggie
Old 01-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #3582
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Good all is well with you Maggie... Evelyn, pneumonia!!! Take care, not something to be messed with... I'm preaching to the choir, you being a nurse... anyway, get well... keep having fun Maggie... hugs and love from the chilly Oregon coast...
Old 01-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #3583
Rivet Master

Thanks, Maggie and Gail. Working on it.

Maggie, Airstream warranty rep told me that AGMs are a more reliable. They seem to be working well for Goliath. Great that they were able to take care of you right away. Keep on with your travels, safely. I truly enjoy following your travels...sort of helps keep me targeted on my future trips. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #3584
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After a lovely visit with Al & Patti, and two delicious home cooked meals...it was nice to be fed and watered ...we set out for Topsail this morning and got settled in here a couple of hours ago.

Tanks have been emptied and fresh water is full...by the time that has run through and out I will be able to drink the water from my tap, cook with it, make coffee, etc.

Whew. It's all easy street from here on out.

Have had a good walk with Miss Lily, and met some of the pre-rally gatherers.

Am going to have a glass of something in a bit, and revel in the fact that I will not be driving tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 01-04-2017, 08:06 PM   #3585
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie!! Glad again you've landed safely... where is topsail??? I'm following you on a map... keep having fun!! Hugs and love from here...
Old 01-05-2017, 03:40 AM   #3586
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Topsail is on the Gulf Coast, just east of Destin, Florida.

Lots of silver rolling in yesterday afternoon...the place is filling up rapidly.

Lily and I were down very early again last night, and slept hard.

Call me old, but the driving is tiring and I haven't been getting my small boost of caffeine mid-day.

Will get out and explore some today, get settled in to my reserved site, do a bit of food prep....and no driving.

Maggie
Old 01-05-2017, 11:41 AM   #3587
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Yes, driving can be tiring.. even in my comfy little car, I'm exhausted at the end of a day behind the wheel... thanks for the Topsail info... I'll look you up... keep having fun!!!
Old 01-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #3588
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Am settled into my site for the remainder of the rally, did a little more choring today and think I am now done with that for awhile.

Have met a lot of new folks here, come across a few I have known from rallies past, and some Forums folks I have only known from their participation here.

Always nice to put a face to a name.

This is a very nice campground, with clean bathhouses and clean, reasonably priced laundry facilities.

Going to try to stay up til at least 9 tonight.

Maggie
Old 01-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #3589
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good luck!! I'm almost always in bed before 9... keep having fun!! Hugs and love from the chilly chilly Oregon coast...
Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #3590
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Traveling along as well Maggie. We are anticipating our first "west" adventure this spring or fall. Will be watching for tips from experienced travelers like you.
Dave and Debbie in WV
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #3591
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Reading about the shooting at the airport in Fort Lauderdale, I am deeply saddened for victims and survivors.

I also wish the media would stop naming these folks and making them notorious, infamous, spectacles that incite and inspire other disturbed minds to the same end...contagion, the social psychologists would call it.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/contagion

Leave them nameless and faceless, please.

There, I said it.

Thanks for dropping in, Dave and Debbie.

Sun interspersed with clouds has become all overcast, all the time, with light rain, tho the really nasty stuff has gone north of us.

We had a chili feed today, I took spinach dip..gone..and Rumtopf..also gone.

The Rumtopf seemed to be very much enjoyed, and got a number of compliments relayed directly to me, and we all agree the fruit infused rum liqueur is absolutely delicious....my SIL, who knows a fine whiskey when he tastes one, would say it is "very smooth".

I will make this again, as it has just been fun, and it provided a desert at a gathering with no cooking and little fuss. A good thing, for space-limited me.

There are some brave and hardy souls in a cold and wet cornhole tournament....having no athletic ability whatsoever, I declined.

Have located and shared hugs with a few more friends-from-prior-rallies, and met a few more folks who follow my posts.

I always like that, and really appreciate the good hearts in the people who step forward to say they connect with me thru my writings here.

Lily was pleading to come back to her leather couch, tho the weather had said it was time, anyway, so she is having a well deserved nap.

Me...I'm having tea.

Maggie
Old 01-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #3592
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
He flew in from Canada and managed to get his gun checked in. False military I'd. Got his luggage, went to restroom, loaded and started firing until he ran out of ammunition. Waited for police. Terrible, how do you check in a gun at an airport in your luggage?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #3593
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are ways to legally check a gun thru...in a locked case, etc...but I don't believe those are retrieved off the carousel, you have to go sign for it somewhere, I believe.

We don't know exactly how he got the gun thru, but it is another senseless tragedy.

Maggie
Old 01-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #3594
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is cold and damp outside, but I have this inside.

Warms me just to look at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4155.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	277744  
Old 01-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #3595
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Check thst, he flew in from Alaska.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #3596
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Nice to hear everyone having a good time despite the weather. Your fireplace looks delightful with warm ambiance.

Looked up the park today, (Topsail) on Google earth. White beach Florida parks are on our Airbucket list. We saw a House Hunters episode in Destin years ago and I've been Google earth driving it ever since.

The park looks very nice and seems to a little something for all. Swimming pool, lake and beaches. Sorry Lilly can't romp on the beach. Not sure of the distance but seems an ambitious person could walk all the way to the inlet of the bay. On the map I saw another pretty park, Henderson State park, and then a very crowded Camp on the Gulf Pvt park.

Hope the sun comes back out. Enjoy your self.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #3597
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I haven't been to the beach yet, but when I was talking with the ranger about getting there he told me dogs were allowed on all the trails...he did not say they couldn't be on the beach.

I have been too busy to make the mile or so walk there with her, and now we have rain, cold, and colder coming, so I may not get there this trip.

She's had plenty of exercise and time out of the Interstate, tho, and I'm sure is just deliriously happy not to be driving.

On edit: I see that Topsail Rules say dogs are not allowed on the beach.

Maggie
Old 01-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #3598
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was a dark and stormy night ....and when I finally ventured out this morning, wind chill was 23 degrees and there was ice in spots where the rain had run off and frozen. Yikes.

We were warm and toasty inside, tho, little space heater churning away and CuddlDuds socks on my feet.

Love my microfleece.

Lily has had a couple of walks, but I have been mostly inside crocheting while it tries to warm up outside...I did get invited out to lunch, and again with a group going for dinner.

I really appreciate the conversation and company...because, in the end, you are still a widow in a sea of couples, most everywhere you go...including rallies.

It is what it is, but invites are nice.

Open house this afternoon, and my shingle is out.

Maggie
Old 01-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #3599
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Maggie!

Glad to see you are enjoying Canopener, but so sorry the weather isn't cooperating. Topsail is our favorite campground, and try to go once/year, but unfortunately, due to DH's work schedule, we aren't always able to get there annually. (Our second faves have to be various COE campgrounds around this wonderful country!) The beaches in the Destin area are just about the most beautiful anywhere.

Back in the early '70's, I lived in Ft. Walton Beach, FL (suburb of Destin), and worked for a Government contractor on Eglin AFB there. If it hadn't been for a bad marriage, I probably would still live there -- although it has changed a lot in the past 40 yrs!

I am truly enjoying your travels and "riding" along with you and Lily.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #3600
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
PS -- have you checked out "The Donut Hole" yet?

Also, if you like good, local food, there is a great place called, "Nick's Seafood Restaurant", 7585 State Hwy 20W, Freeport, FL -- it's on a bayou, I think Bayou Basin(?). It is a family bar with fresh catch of the day and great tasting food -- depending upon what the local fishermen catch that day. We always go there at least twice/week when we are in the area.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

« No Game Changer | Top | - »