Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks.

We'll see how they look dry....

Maggie

Old 05-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #2452
Rivet Master

Maggie, your tabby pavers are like every craft you do....very pretty. Look professional!

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #2453
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They look right now like cake batter with seashells on it.

Maggie
Old 05-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #2454
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I watched "The Intern" last night, on one of my new HBO channels....Robert Di Nero and Anne Hathaway. Cute.

Amusing without being slapstick...not my thing ...and just very well done.

Doug would have enjoyed it, and identified greatly with this main character.

Di Nero plays a 70 year old Senior Intern, a retired executive who carries an old leather briefcase, a flip phone, and always a cloth handkerchief in his pocket.

"We carry it for them", he tells a fellow, 20'ish intern...for women, for when they cry, or otherwise need them.

Doug always referred to himself as "an old guy, who likes the old ways"...even when I first met him, when we were both 36, this is how he referred to himself.

He always carried a clean cloth handkerchief, pulled out chairs and opened doors, etc....a gentleman, and he would have really liked this movie.

So, I'm talking to him while I'm watching it, telling him he would like it and pointing out the similarities between he and the main character...asking him if he's sitting here on the couch, watching it with me...and, by the way, haven't seen any signs lately..are you still around? No response.

Then this morning I'm in the checkout line at the grocer, waiting to pay for my Sunday papers, when on the background music comes Fleetwood Mac and Sentimental Lady....that's why I travel far, cause I come so together where you are.

When we were first dating, Doug lived and worked in Galesburg...about a 75 minute drive each way in good weather...so we generally saw each other only on alternate weekends, when his kids were with their Mom.

Big into music, Doug early on made me a mix tape of his favorite, driving-back-and-forth tunes...this song was first on that tape, which I still have, and we always considered it "our song".

The last time I asked him that, seconds later I almost stepped on this, in the water at Edisto Beach.

Coincidence? I think not.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	263428  
Old 05-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #2455
Rivet Master

Maggie, no coincidence there. You feel it...you know the signs. I believe a love such as yours, will sustain you now and forever. Bless you. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #2456
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have sorted and gone thru my yarn stash this morning....what to put away til cooler weather, what to organize to take with during hot weather travels, which are fixin' to commence.

Have finished my last prayer shawl for awhile...too warm for my lap, time for cottons and smaller things.

Band of Brothers is on HBO, so have had it on in the background....seems fitting for the day, tho terribly sad and traumatic to watch.

I simply cannot imagine what our servicemen and women in war zones have gone thru, and my heart goes out to them all.

Maggie
Old 05-31-2016, 01:42 PM   #2457
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have seen my Dr.'s and completed all annual exams ...and, but for the chronic, manageable-but-never-to-go-away things, I have a clean bill of health.

Not too bad for an old woman.

My bones are no less dense than my last bone density test 5-6 years ago...which doesn't surprise me, in spite of my advancing age, given the heavy lifting my life has taken on these past couple of years.

An unintended consequence, Doug would say.

Nothing too exciting going on here, doing some shopping, getting ready for company and the family gig this weekend.

Serious cooking and food prep will come later in the week.

Maggi
Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #2458
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Cleaning out the Matrix before transferring title in a couple of days...

I remember buying these little cup holder discs at the P.A.L car wash locally, a day or two before heading to Iowa for Doug's funeral... and there they have stayed ever since, a reminder of "before", every time I got in that car.

You never go to a funeral with a dirty car, I heard him say more than once. He who had a great deal more experience attending funerals of loved ones than I.

When I saw these, I believed Doug wanted me to get them and put them where I saw them often. So, I did.

We went to New Orleans for our honeymoon in 1992, and were back almost every year after that...post-retirement, we were sometimes there twice in the same year.

I haven't been back since he died. Having never been there without him, it will be another "first", with memories every where I look.

The Hotel Le Richilieu, the Cafe du Monde, the Algiers Ferry, Jackson Square...where we had our portrait done by a street artist in 1996...so many memories.

One of these years, I'll go back. Until then, these will ride in the Interstate.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	263660  
Old 06-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #2459
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My first three tabby pavers, completely dry.

I like them.

Another three are drying, and that's all the small shells I have, so another trip to Edisto will be required to make more.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	43
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	263661  
Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #2460
Avion Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Very cool, Maggie! I like those!

Good excuse to go back to the beach!

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
Old 06-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #2461
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I do have reservations for the first two weeks of March 2017.

Maggie
Old 06-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #2462
Avion Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Sigh...... I have the next 5 days off. Would MUCH prefer taking the Avion ANYWHERE.... But, alas, we have chosen to do the responsible thing: stay home, tend to the yard and garden, wash vehicles.... etc.

Sometimes it stinks being responsible! 😀

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
Old 06-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #2463
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Daughter and sweet SIL are in from the Big Apple thru the weekend, and the whole crew will be here tonight for dinner...little house will be full to bursting, and that is okay.

I couldn't have hand picked a better man to marry my darling daughter. A good man, a kind man, and a strong man.

And, he's funny.

Going to grill a mess of teriyaki chicken for supper. Weather is perfect, we shall do it over my new, monster fire pit and grill.

I will be doing a lot of cooking over the next few days, but I'm rather looking forward to the opportunity.

Maggie
Old 06-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #2464
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am loving my fire pit/grill combo thingy I bought on clearance a couple of months ago.

It seems huge, but nicely does a campfire and the heavy, stainless steel cooking grate perfectly cooked a good 5 lbs of teriyaki chicken last night.

The grill rests high enough above the coals that there was no problem with burning...very important...I was delighted.

If Doug had been here, he would have been cooking slabs of red meat over those wood coals.

The weather was perfect, so we ate outside on the patio, and the kids played ball and frisbee before and after.

Lots of dishes for me, but I enjoyed it and it all worked out okay. I do miss my right hand man in the kitchen and for such things, but I got it done.

Lily was a bit put off by the sleeping arrangements last night, as I gave my bedroom over to my daughter and 6'4" SIL...Lily sleeps under or on that bed...looking very perplexed, she had to go in, sniff around, and check things out thoroughly, as I settled into the sofa bed in another room. Booger dog.

Making Frog Eye Salad and Potato Salad yet today, while daughter and hers are off at DMV taking care of things with their new-to-them Toyota Matrix.

Trifle was made before breakfast...and I'm on a roll.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	31
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	263785  

« The Argue Thread | Top | - »