Old 05-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #2395
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I was hoping for a "that's a blah blah brick, used for blah blah, and made around blah blah blah."

I'm just intrigued by the idea that there may have been a house in this area sometime in the past 180 years or so that Illinois has been settled.

I've stuck it in a corner of my flower bed, for posterity's sake.

Beautiful, cool weather continues, so I am continuing my marathon, little house spruce-up, inside and out.

Going to do a little painting, move my appliances, son is going to replace some very worn and ugly doorknobs/locks, carpet steamers will be here early Monday morning....I'm on a roll.

Maggie

Old 05-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #2396
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Brick's: so it seems that type of brick might be a cored or extruded brick used with drainage in mind. Very common with Scottish brick making style.

Chicago is know for its brickyards and lead the industry for many years. The Monadnock Building In Chicago, 1893, is still the tallest all brick skyscraper.

I did not find a matching image to your brick but lots of similar.

I know a little more about bricks than I ever did and saw lots of beautiful brick images.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #2397
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep.

I love old brick homes, walls, walkways and patios, etc.

My grandparents in Mississippi had a brick patio out back, and then there is the ancestral home farther south, with a brick foundation, walkway to the road, and a brick patio on the north side...all bricks made on that plantation 200 years ago.

I didn't see the horizontal marking along the side on any of the brick photos online, which is what makes me suspect it was made in a mold...but I'm just guessing.

I'll find out at some point....til then, it will be a spot of interest there by the driveway.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #2398
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

Look at it closely for wood grain patterns that would indicate it was made in a wooden mould. Very old process. May explain the line.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #2399
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's been in the ground a very long time, so it's hard to tell what is what on it, but the line on the side is centered and completely straight....it looks like from a mold to me. I don't know what else it would be,

I maybe need to soak it in some water and then give it a good scrubbing before looking at it again.

There is no brick in or on my house, that is for certain.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #2400
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Scrub gently with a soft brush. It's archaeology after all....😄😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #2401
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm not sure it qualifies as archeology, but I do think I will give it a bath and see if anything more reveals itself.

Looking some more online, my piece looks similar to larger brick described as "Engineer", and used for building. I suspect it was once twice as long, and broke...perhaps simply discarded and tossed aside, then turned under by bulldozers when this house was built.

I'm glad we didn't take a tiller to this area, like we did putting a bed in on the south side, as hitting that chunk might have created a real problem.

This cul-de-sac I am on in the low rent district was turned into houses last...apartment buildings on both sides of this block were here first, for some years, and my house is 31 years old.

I am inclined to think it came from the building that went on up the street, but why it was 6"-8" in the ground in my yard is a puzzle to me....but then, what do I know in the slightest about what goes on in building a house.

I would like it to be 200 year old brick, made in Boston and carried carefully west in a covered wagon to become part of a pioneer home here in what used to be Indian territory , but that is highly unlikely.

These have been slow news days here at the little house, where a chunk of brick has occupied so much of my time.

I guess I shouldn't complain that this is the most exciting thing going on.

I have been knocking out my to-do list, inside and out, cleaning closets, fixing this and that, and by the time carpet steamers come on Monday the little house will be just about ready for Spring. Son and his will be here Sat. to help me with a couple of things.

I like the feeling of accomplishment that comes with pulling things together, sprucing and tidying and setting things to right.

I'm a simple woman.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2016, 07:13 AM   #2402
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Perhaps you can find a brick mason, preferably an older one, who can identify your brick. I have found that people who work with brick for a living often take an interest in how, when, and where their material is manufactured.

I recently had a mason come out to give me a bid on some repairs, and I found him looking closely at some fire brick I had saved when I cleaned out a pile of junk and brush. When I got his attention, he said, "Excuse me, I was just looking at some old brick."
Old 05-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #2403
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've thought about that, taking the picture somewhere to have it looked at.

Those guys tend to know their stuff.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2016, 07:19 AM   #2404
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I think it has to do with taking pride in their trade.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #2405
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, and I think anything one is passionate about lends itself to learning and understanding origin and history, etc.....no simply scratching the surface of knowledge.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #2406
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Had the AC serviced this morning, and discovered that a pipe leading to the outside spigot apparently froze over the winter....they're going to have to cut into drywall at the rear of the house to repair it.

Went to Needlework Group today, scanned my little card to check in , and had a notice that I had a "message" at the front desk.

The message was the return of my Membership Application Form, with instructions that I have to sign the Release of Information.

We had a discussion about this...the Release is purportedly only so the facility can tally how many seniors attend which class, it has nothing to do with the use of any of the information above this Release section and signature line....which is all of your identifying information, marital status, birthdate, etc.....and the Medical Information section I declined to fill out.

I feel quite certain that a signed Release of Information from participants is not required for our attendance to be tallied, and those totals given to whomever. If it were, that would have been the case before the move to the new facility.

Still run by the township, funding has not changed. What a bunch of b.s.

I am also very familiar with Release of Information forms.

The Release section....placed beneath all of this personal information, certainly indicates that by signing you are agreeing to the release of everything above that for the stated purpose "for statistical and in-house marketing purposes". Grrrrrr.

You have to sign the release, as a condition of Membership, nice lady at the front desk explained....she being pressured to get signatures from those that had refused, being told this is part of doing her job.

I crossed out "in-house marketing", wrote in "for statistical purposes only", and signed it.

I told her if this was not sufficient, whoever is telling her she must get these needs to speak with me directly.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #2407
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Grrrrr at them with you!

Whatever happened to people's privacy. We all try to practice safe online and identity information protection in general and then your constantly forced to give up all your information.

Then someone tells you "that's just the way it is" and "your information is already out there anyway".

Well just cause that's the way it is doesn't make it right and if the information is already there then find it yourself. ;(

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #2408
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And to make signing their Release of Information a condition of membership in a publicly funded Senior Center?

It stinks.

Maggie