Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #3381
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A rather wintry day, today, tho no snow....cold enough to have that red glow and a bit of flame in the woodstove all day...I like.

Finished a hat this morning, and another one at Needlework group today, and will get the final one done this evening....box will be full, and head off to cold heads and necks in Brunswick, Ga.

Dr. Culpepper and his staff will be delighted to have them, and will place them all with folks who need them....that gives me a good feeling inside.

Lots of widow-talk at Needlework group today...I'm the most recent widow, but most of us are without our spouses due to death, so there are two, built in, common denominators.

Life. Sigh.

Maggie
Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 AM   #3382
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
TJ Max has long been a favorite, tho carefully rationed , place for me to find nice things at bargain prices, and I always look thru their glassware for items that would make beautiful candles.

The large, center glass is "crackled" at the base...$1.99...the tall green are recycled glass from Spain ...$2.49 each.

Beautiful holiday soy candles, for $5-$6 each.

Clean burning and gorgeous, they will be stunning when lit.

What's not to love?

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3913.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	276279  
Old 12-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #3383
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Love TJMax and Home Goods. Such nice products for great prices and a constant quickly rotating stock.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #3384
Rivet Master

Tuesday morning is also a great place for bargain prices with unusual selections. One never knows what you'll find there. I have one about 7 miles away and try not to go too often....my way of controlling my $!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:38 PM   #3385
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like Tuesday Morning, too....another place not to go into often, tho there are some beautiful things there at great prices.

Got the little house cleaned and tidied....it had been a bit neglected this week whilst I was on hat-crocheting-marathon...baked a loaf of bread, took my box for Faithworks to the post office, and got a fresh wreath for my door.

They're predicting rain mixed with snow for Sunday, so I will get some more wood in tomorrow and cover my pile with a tarp.

Highs in the 20's with lows in the teens next week, but I've got plenty of firewood.

Maggie
Old 12-03-2016, 02:03 PM   #3386
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hauled wood into the house and garage this morning, and moved some around to get it covered from impending moisture and to tidy up the patio....I'm down to about a cord of wood left.

The bags of wood I'm carrying must weigh 40 lbs, at least. Sometimes I amaze even myself, schlepping that weight here and there.

Good for my aging bones.

Have also spent a couple of hours sleuthing with my laptop today, going thru 1800's Census Records on ancestry...nailing down facts, relationships and locations in the mystery branch of the family.

Those old, handwritten records are difficult to read, but fascinating.

And, I'm physically tired ...but, chores needing done are completed, Lily's had her walk, and I have cooked today, so I don't need to do much else.

Perhaps have some eggnog with a dollop of icy cold rum in it after awhile.

Maggie
Old 12-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #3387
Rivet Master

I have no eggnog, but, a bit of cognac sounds good right now. Just stepped outside to bring pups in from dog run and it is cold out there!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #3388
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Another favorite recipe this time of year.

They're not too sweet, and full of chopped, fresh cranberries.

Cranberry-Orange Muffins

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1 tsp grated fresh orange rind
2/3 cup orange juice

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients, blend together til almost mixed.

Add

1 bag fresh cranberries, chopped (I use food processor)
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Blend together, spoon into muffin pans and bake at 400 degrees 20-22 minutes.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #3389
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Snow today, 2"-4"...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3929.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	276356  
Old 12-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #3390
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think that tomorrow morning will be my first snow-shoveling since Doug died, and my first in at least 20 years.

I will shovel the driveway, because I can, and because it should be done, even if I don't have a vehicle in there right now.

It is a beautiful, wet snow, clinging to the trees and bushes...picture perfect.

A slow news day at the little house...tended to a few things, finished hats for my grand-boys, and an ear-warmer for Miss Emma that matches the scarf I made her on Thanksgiving.

They are still at an age where they love to wear the things Grandma makes, tho there will likely come a time when they won't.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3940.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	276379  
Old 12-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #3391
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie!!! I wore the hat you made me today... I won't out grow your gifts!!! Hahaha... lovely looking snow... cold here, (that's relative of coarse) but no snow... not on the coast anyway...other places around the state... oh geez, I just looked up at the tv weather report.. now they're predicting snow here..!! Oh well..I'll just stay home...hugs and love to you two.. keep having fun!!!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #3392
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gail.

It's not quite cold enough here for hats for me, but later this week we are looking at highs in the 20's.

Maybe then...I have a new one, made by a friend.

Lily didn't get a walk yesterday, as it was basically raining snow all day , but we had a good one this morning....pulled out my Bogs, put my levelers in them, and off we went.

Temps above freezing here, so the driveway has cleared itself, and no need to pull out the snow shovel, tho I do know exactly where it is.

I am very leery of walking in sub freezing temps with any precipitation on the ground, as I have never been sure-of-foot and fear falling, so we may miss a few days later this week.

Doesn't take much for things to get very slick, and down I could go. I have zero footwear that are safe on ice...is there such a thing?

In the meantime...it is good fire weather.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3946.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	276398  
Old 12-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #3393
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie... there is a thing you can chip on to the soles of your shoes.. like tire chains for shoes... they sell them in Big5 stores here in Oregon... me, I just stay home... I fell a couple of times when I first moved up here...California..what do I know from ice!!! Ok, keep the fires going... hugs and love from out here....
Old 12-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #3394
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Yes Maggie, They make traction cleats that slip on the bottom of shoes. A must for freezing rain events. Look up yaktrax on Amazon. They also have something similar at Cosco. Cost is around 20.00,
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #3395
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
These work great in ice and snow.

(Not very practical unless you are out all day- I used similar ones building boardwalk out to Cape Alava and Sand Point in the winter)

The Yak trax or similar work fairly well.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:59 AM   #3396
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, all, for reminding me of those items that clip to the bottom of your shoes.

Ummm....I had a pair of those when I was still working, and had no choice but to go out and about in all kinds of weather. I just forgot about them, that they even existed.

I gave them to my sister after I retired, when I didn't have to go out, and when I did always had my arm tucked securely in Doug's....who cleared walkways, salted surfaces, started the car.

I will order a set. I do have salt to put down.

The only place I need to go this week is needlework group on Thursday...via Uber, and I won't walk the bike path home.

Sigh. Another widow-thing, that has kind of snuck up on me.

Maggie
Old 12-06-2016, 05:38 AM   #3397
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Rain here for most of the weekend. First hard freeze forecast for tonight. Blackie and I stayed inside mostly, and I've been able to clear up the last of the moving boxes in the house, almost. Some happy memories in boxes of stuff stored in this second home years ago--pictures my mom had kept for the scrapbook she was going to assemble someday. Some sad memories in the box that held the stuff from my desk at the old house--note pads with things I had to do in the days immediately after John's death.

So, some good days and some sad days. All I know to do is get through them and go on.

Today I plan to burn the pile of brush the tree-trimming guys left for me. Saves money over having them haul it off. Nice way to be outside and still keep warm on a cold day. The grass is very wet from the rain, so that will keep the fire well under control. Just need to call the county fire marshall and get their OK.

You're right, Maggie. Once they're gone, the chores fall to us.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:58 AM   #3398
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Mimi..

It's hard.

We get up every day, do what needs to be done, and just keep on going.

I'm still finding things in Doug's handwriting...I keep them, or give them to the grands, depending, as there won't be any more of those.

I was re-writing yesterday some address pages in my "home book" I keep, and carry when traveling...entries by him, left in place.

Sounds like you are doing pretty well...I do those heavy chores and remind myself it is good I am able to do them, and am sure you do the same.

On another note....a pair of these is on its way to me...
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #3399
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Perfect!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #3400
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Finished some pen-and-paper tasks this morning, and did the wood haul, again...it is high-consumption time, and that is okay with me.

My sweet SIL fell in love with the woodstove the very first time he visited here with my daughter....people unused to a woodstove are just not used to being so warm...so I send him little videos of the fire burning, so he can enjoy it vicariously.

They are househunting, their first, and wanting a fireplace.

When the kids were here the other day, Caleb laid himself down on the hearth, as close to the stove as he dared get, to warm and toast himself a bit.

The grands favorite spot in cold weather is on that hearth.

I leave to head south three weeks from Sunday, and the next few weeks are going to be busy, so this morning I started pulling together some cool-but-not-frigidly-cold clothing into packing cubes to store under my rear bench...one has to have very warm clothing when doing winter travel in an RV, as it's just plain not as warm in there as in any house, much less my house.

So, the microfleece...my most favorite, cold weather travel item ...is on hangers and ready to go, along with long sleeved things, all for the Interstate closet.

As I'm putting things in packing cubes for later in the trip, Lily came into the room, tail a-wagging, ears up, and an expectant look on her face...are we going bye-bye in the motorhome??!!??

She knows the signs.

Not just yet, Lily.

Maggie