Old 05-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #2353
Rivet Master

Oh, when I enlarged the photo, I see that tree is actually a logo. Oops!

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #2354
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I got that picture off the internet, Evelyn, but that's what I am going to model mine after.

This lady had spread cement on a bare wall area of concrete on her house, as I recall, then imbedded shells in it, so it was vertical. I love the way it looks, and can't wait to see my own.

I suspect these shells had been sprayed with clear Rustoleum, but am not sure. I bought a can of that, and am going to try it on a couple and see how it looks.

I like the natural look of them, but also these.

Maggie

Old 05-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #2355
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In my Mother Earth Newsletter this morning..

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-...x?newsletter=1

I haven't baked a loaf of traditional bread since I discovered the no-knead, DO recipe in late 2013. It is just so easy, delicious and trouble free.... but she has some good ideas here.

I think one could add 1/2 cup of leftover mashed potato to a DO loaf, perhaps reduce the water just a bit, and it would work out very well. Might be a bit more sourdough-ish, I don't know, tho certainly edible.

This lady freezes leftover mashed potato in Ziploc bags, for bread making purposes whenever she feels the urge.

I haven't used rolled oats as an add-in, either, but 1/2 cup of those would work well and perhaps be a bit less chewy in the final product than the steel cut oats that are my favorite.

My loaf for yesterday was very well received, Emma exclaiming "Grandma, did you MAKE that?! It looks just like the ones at the store!!!"

Cute. . 3 slices later, she'd had enough, and there was only a couple of pieces left after 6 of us ate it for dinner as our "good carb".

I told her I would show her how to make it when she got a bit bigger. She will soon be 10, but is a bit of a mite, so not quite ready to handle a DO, but if she ever wants to do it I will help her.

It's what Grandma's do. )

Maggie
Old 05-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #2356
Rivet Master

Grandma teaching a little one to make DO bread.....how wonderful that will be! And the memories she will have forever! Lucky girl.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #2357
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Try putting in a half cup of mashed pinto beans sometimes. Makes the bread a complete protein as well as a good carb.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #2358
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I dropped the Interstate off at Cummins Crosspoint just north of me, to have them look at the generator switch...to discover they do full servicing of motor coaches.

About 1 1/2 miles from my house.

They are going to look at a couple of other things for me, and give an estimate for the standard oil/filter service, and I may give them a try rather than Peterbilt....which has been excellent, but is much farther away.

I saw a cook lady on Dr, Oz the other day make this, and thought I would give it a try. I should eat more eggs than I do, really, but am lazy about cooking them.

Egg Muffin Bake

12 eggs (or 11 in my case, as one went to Lily )
1/3 cup or so milk, salt and pepper, a little onion powder...beat well.

Cooked turkey sausage, or other cooked meats or vegetables, dropped into the bottom of 12 greased muffin tins.

Spoon beaten eggs and seasonings over ingredients in cups, top with a little shredded cheddar or other cheese, bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or so til done. Voila!

Kind of a little frittata, done on the same principle, but in individual portions.

Breakfast today, and others to be pulled from the freezer at a later time. What's not to love.

You could put anything you wanted to in these....bread cubes, herbs, fresh spinach, cooked leftover vegetables or pasta, etc.

Yum!

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	262248  
Old 05-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #2359
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie, those sound like a great breakfast or on the run pop of of protein.

We make something similar with ground turkey when were having breakfast guests. When I need to have something more pop in the oven than stand at the stove.

And love the idea of baking bread with the wee ones.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #2360
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi there!

They are quite tasty, and I will do this again.

Maggie
Old 05-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #2361
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I make these often. I usually put a "coin" of zucchini on the bottom and fill the muffin cup about 2/3 full with veggie and then spoon in the whisked egg (I use a measuring cup to make it easier). Add a little cheese on top.

I find that putting in the veggies in the cup and then filling with egg works much better than mixing in with the scrambled eggs. They will puff up pretty big when cooking but then deflate when as they cool in the pan. I usually squirt a little Srichia hot sauce on top when serving.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #2362
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mmmm....hot sauce sounds good.

I had DNA testing thru Ancestry.com several years ago, which didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about where my people came from, but did leave 6 or 9% of my DNA as "undetermined"....also turned up some interesting, but highly predictable, distant cousins

My son and his wife just got their results thru 23andMe, and I am going to do mine, too. . I want answers.

His turned up a few things I strongly suspected to be there, but these were the "family skeleton" kinds of information that were never talked about as I was growing up, and which I deduced from other bits and pieces I found on Ancestry.com.

The 23andMe testing is very thorough and includes markers for various genetic issues...a couple of which I already know I have, but have not passed on to my children.

I think it will be fascinating to see the results, and to link my results with my sons...which will tell us which things in his came from my side of the family, which his Dad's...or both.

I'm excited!

Maggie
Old 05-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #2363
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie plz double check the 23&me reviews before spending any money.

It appears there may be some issues. I just saw the commercial this weekend and have been interested and finally did some on line reviews. It looks like they are supposed to cease and desist (temporarily maybe) and pull the ads. FDA and data mining issues.

Sorry to be a rain cloud.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #2364
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Maggie plz double check the 23&me reviews before spending any money.

It appears there may be some issues. I just saw the commercial this weekend and have been interested and finally did some on line reviews. It looks like they are supposed to cease and desist (temporarily maybe) and pull the ads. FDA and data mining issues.

Sorry to be a rain cloud.
Hmmmm....thanks for that heads up.

Looking at the first few pages of reviews, they are from one extreme to another.

I looked at my sons results with him on Mothers Day, and his ethnicity is determined down to tenths of percentages, and it is much more specific than what I have already had done....pretty fascinating, and they link you with others who share your DNA, as does Ancestry.com.

Maggie
Old 05-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #2365
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A loose wire was the culprit on my generator switch...glad it was nothing more serious.

When I was explaining to the service guy yesterday about the problem, he asked if it was the switch inside or the one on the generator itself. I had completely forgotten there was a switch on the generator, but recall Doug knowing it would have one and sliding under the Interstate to start it when this switch went out 5 or so years ago. A guy thing, but I am learning.

The full servicing of these little on board generators is ridiculously expensive, as they must dropped down and accessed from beneath...meaning with the rig up on a lift, which is why Doug didn't do this himself.

It needed to be done, however, as it has been years since the last servicing....tho less than 70 hours on it. We must pay for things we can't..or won't ...do ourselves.

At any rate, we're up and running again....I'll get new tires and an engine service in July, then will be ready to head west. .

I'm starting to get excited about that.

I went looking at big River Rock today...3"-6"...to border the Lily of the Valley bed I have put in, which buts up against my beach-rock-downspout creation from a couple of weeks ago.

I will haul that in the back of my car next week, and I think it will look very pretty when done.

Miss Alice has a ballet recital in Iowa City Friday evening, and I will then be esconced overnight in their new homes' guest bedroom...a first.

While I'm gone, Lily will have a play date at my son's house.

Not much else going on here. Warm and humid today, then more cool weather for a few days.

Been an odd spring, but my heat-and-humidity-intolerant self can always wait on the full Midwest summer experience.

That's all, folks.

Maggie
Old 05-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #2366
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hmmmm....thanks for that heads up.

Looking at the first few pages of reviews, they are from one extreme to another.

I looked at my sons results with him on Mothers Day, and his ethnicity is determined down to tenths of percentages, and it is much more specific than what I have already had done....pretty fascinating, and they link you with others who share your DNA, as does Ancestry.com.

Maggie
Found these services to be pretty accurate.

As an aside about seven years ago my wife and I had a rescue dog I had trouble getting thru to. So did my professional trainer friend. So, we had her DNA tested to see what was in her. 48% Lab, the rest evenly spread between German Shepard, Bernise MT, Afgan, and we determined it was the Afgan that made her stubborn. But the reason for my post is this: I was in the golf industry and told a golf course superintendent friend about the DNA and he said he too had a dog he would like to know about. He bought the kit, BUT, he sent in his own saliva to see if they were honest. The company sent back a note and summary saying the test was human male and not too bright, and also included a free kit for his dog. We still laugh about it to this day.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote