Old 05-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #2325
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie sounds like you have a good plan so far.

As mentioned in Evelyn's thread if it were your daily driver they (City) may not be allowed to prohibit it from your driveway.

Thoughts for future.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #2326
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I read that, and may look into it.....but there still is the issue of Midwest winters, snow and ice, and not wanting to drive the Interstate around in that.

I'll figure it out.

Maggie

Old 05-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #2327
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
If it's only 2-3 trips a week and under 3 miles as you say then why not use a taxi? Or use the Interstate if the weather is agreeable and take a cab when it is not. Declare the Interstate as your main ride and keep it at home. Saves on storage as well.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #2328
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hadn't thought about a taxi.....hmmm.

Tho this is not the big city, taxis are not everywhere nor A+ accommodations.

I'll look at my options and see what's out there.

Maggie
Old 05-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #2329
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Looks like my AAA rate will get me an economy car from Hertz for $500-$600/ month.

I can squeeze the kids into something small for a while longer, for the occasions I drive them, and when I can't....I'll rent something bigger.

That is a very appealing option for those couple of winter months I am at home each year.

I could save even more if I did without a car altogether, using a cab when I couldn't drive the Interstate....but, it's a quality of life issue, I've decided...while not a wealthy widow, neither am I destitute.

I want to have a car here to go and do whatever, see whomever and wherever, for emergencies, also would not want to pile the grands into a taxi...it's just unnecessary.

I will try it, and see how it goes.

There may come a time when I can't drive...but I ain't there yet. I can always use the city bus or Senior Citizen transport that runs, too, when that time comes. Yikes.

Back to home chores today....still a few things needing done inside, and then there's the "far back" yard needing a full morning of toiling.

Maggie
Old 05-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #2330
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of the ladies at my needlework group last week had a carry bag she had made out of yarn scraps, and I liked it so much I made this one for myself.

A "project bag", I'm calling it...out of one of my most favorite yarns.

I think I was an Aran fisherman in another life, as I so love this yarn.

It must take my soul back to something.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	261867  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #2331
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
One of the ladies at my needlework group last week had a carry bag she had made out of yarn scraps, and I liked it so much I made this one for myself.

A "project bag", I'm calling it...out of one of my most favorite yarns.

I think I was an Aran fisherman in another life, as I so love this yarn.

It must take my soul back to something.

Maggie
Did you have a pattern for that bag Maggie? Look like a handy bag to stuff projects in a take with me. I crochet but not nearly as often as you and it would take me a while to figure that out without a pattern.

Btw, I did without a car once by choice for about 9 months and found that between my bike and the bus I could do most things I wanted. Evening meetings were the only problem. For those I would have to catch a ride home. Now we have bike racks on our local buses and it's even easier to get around. Of course riding a bike during the Summer was pretty unworkable unless you plan to get soaking wet anyway!

Thanks,
Carol
Old 05-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #2332
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Uber?
Old 05-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #2333
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
Did you have a pattern for that bag Maggie? Look like a handy bag to stuff projects in a take with me. I crochet but not nearly as often as you and it would take me a while to figure that out without a pattern.

Btw, I did without a car once by choice for about 9 months and found that between my bike and the bus I could do most things I wanted. Evening meetings were the only problem. For those I would have to catch a ride home. Now we have bike racks on our local buses and it's even easier to get around. Of course riding a bike during the Summer was pretty unworkable unless you plan to get soaking wet anyway!

Thanks,
Carol
I don't have an exact pattern, Carol, kind of adapted from this one that I have used and is very easy..

http://www.petalstopicots.com/2012/0...skets-pattern/

I bought two skeins of yarn, used two strands throughout, and it took almost all of them. I used a J hook, which worked well for me, with how tight I do..or don't..crochet. You may want a hook a size up or down.

Start as for the largest basket, keep increasing each row incrementally as per instructions until you have 90 stitches around.

Then you begin working up. *Chain 1, single crochet in same space and in each stitch around.* 90 stitches per row.

Slip stitch in first stitch of last row to end each row, repeat * to * til bag is as big as you want. It will look very floppy for awhile, but pulls together to a bag shape as you add more rows.

When bag is as deep as you want: crochet 15 sc into next row, then chain 15/skip 15 stitches, sc into next 30 stitches, chain 15/skip 15 stitches, sc into next 15 stitches. Handles.

This should bring you to the end of your row. Do 5 more rows, crocheting the first row around your 15 chains on each side, to start the handles, then into those stitches for succeeding rows.

Slip stitch into first stitch of last row, and tie off. Voila!

My kids and I were car-less for a year once, and that was very hard, but I can do this by choice for awhile with the Interstate to provide cover for basic transportation needs

No uber here, avionstream.

Maggie
Old 05-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #2334
Rivet Master

Maggie, I hope that whatever you choose regarding your transportation needs works out well for you. You are fortunate that the regs in your area allow you to keep your Interstate in driveway for most of the year.

That little "project bag" is really cute! Looks to be very well made. You are so crafty!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #2335
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am very specifically crafty, rather than generally so, Evelyn, but I do seem to have gotten simple crochet down. Don't give me anything too complicated, and I can do it.

I am definitely going to wait at least a year to replace my car. I see no reason why not.

I can always change my mind if it isn't working.

I try to watch Dr. oz when I can....he's gotten a bit too theatrical to suit me , but still imparts a lot of good information. When I don't like his topics, I turn him off.

Today his topic was the afterlife...with guests being those who have experienced it in near death experiences, in addition to two respected mediums.

Always interesting, and I am a believer.

Doug's daughter was relating some recent experiences to me this past weekend, which I believe were her Dad reaching out to her...she wants to believe that, too.

I tell the kids and the grands that he would never have just gone off and left us....some believe, some don't, but it is definitely comforting to those of us that do, to believe he is there.

Maggie
Old 05-04-2016, 11:27 PM   #2336
Rivet Master

In the believing, there is much comfort for the heart and the soul. There is more to the life cycle than we can ever begin to understand. I do believe in visits to loved ones as well as near death experiences. I also believe that angels are around us when we most need them. Our lives are rich with miracles....but, only if we are open to the belief in them.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #2337
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Love that bag!!!!
Old 05-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #2338
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Vince....it did come out quite well, I must say , and I'm going to impress my needlework group with it here shortly.

Something about Spring requires of me that I move things to clean, go thru closets, cupboards, nooks and crannies...vacuum, sort, dispose of, send to Goodwill, etc.

I started on "the girls" room yesterday, and finished this morning with the closet....within which I found a bag I must have had my hands on at some point since Doug died, but apparently had not gone thru.

Doug, the keeper of his people and his things , saved everything, and just when I think I have everything...I don't.

In this bag were cards from me, his kids and mine over the years, grands, his Mother, letters from his kids, and more photos...all going back 25 years or so.

On top, three cards I had marked "2014"...our last to each other on Valentine's Day, and mine to him on his 65th birthday just a few weeks before he died.

I would have brought them in from the Interstate when I cleaned it out, and somehow they landed in this bag, in that closet, rather than the back room that was his man-cave and was gone thru to give to his kids. Who knows.

I have sorted them, now...into piles of mine, his kids, my kids, and the grands. Will give them to each respectively, to do with what they wish.

Sigh.

Off to needlework group in a bit.

Maggie

« The Argue Thread | Top | - »