Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #3321
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Hi Maggie. Are you getting snow? It's messy up here.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #3322
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gerard,

No snow here, and it has actually been a beautiful...but cold...day.

Kinda windy, but a fair amount of sun.

I got the front yard raked..again..only about 6 leaves left on my red leaf maple..and Lily had a good walk.

Made another scarf, and a men's hat...my box is filling up.

Maggie
Old 11-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #3323
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Good morning!

We had quite a bit of snow yesterday here in Ohio -- at times it was almost a whiteout. Early on we were expecting it to not stick because it had been so warm here lately, but when we awoke this morning, we had a snow covered lawn! I love to see the fresh snow, especially if I don't have to go anywhere, but when it gas been on the ground for a while and starts looking dirty, I am ready for it to melt off.

Well, the surgery is behind me, and the preliminary results from their lab was good, but it was sent off for an official biopsy, so we'll see. Very sore, as I really had two surgeries in one, but that will pass. So pleased about the early report -- it's like a new lease on life. My surgeon stated that most women who come into her office are at a Stage III or Stage IV because you just don't realize anything is wrong until the pain starts and it normally is too late by that time. I am on a mission to pass the word of the importance to press your doctor(s) to be more thorough in their exams.

Hoping everyone has a great day!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:11 AM   #3324
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to hear your surgery went well, Deb, and wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery.

No snow here, but it has become abruptly cold, with enough wind chill that the little house was at 63 degrees when I got up this morning....and that's okay, because the woodstove takes care of that quite nicely, and I love the whole ritual of emptying the stove, lighting a fire, the house warming up, etc.

Did my Sunday morning skype with dear daughter, and we are planning out our time together when I visit them in a few weeks. I want to see City Island, and we may do a walking tour or two. So much to see, hope we have good weather.

Doug had a favorite meat market here, an old fashioned butcher where he would go in on occasion and select good steaks to grill for us.

He said their beef was the best, and would buy no where else. And, the man knew about and how to grill a steak.

I have only been in there a couple of times since he's been gone, buying their burgers for family gigs, but ordered some fresh turkey parts to roast for myself which sweet son then picked up for me yesterday.

Yikes!

Almost like buying beef in price , but no 15% added whatever, and I probably have 10lbs of turkey breast.

They split it in half for me, so am going to vacuum seal one piece and stick it in the feeezer for another time...love that vacuum sealer.

But, now I will have the aroma of roasting turkey in the little house, leftovers, and bones, etc., for soup.

Will be a guest at my son's on Thursday.

Going to spend some time today on the leaf mass still in the back yard , and finish up some late season yard things before there is snow on the ground.

Sun is shining....going to be a beautiful day.

Maggie
Old 11-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #3325
Rivet Master

Happy thanksgiving!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #3326
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
�� And to all out there. ��

Turkey roasted in two cast iron skillets while I worked on leaves....I cut one breast half into three pieces, and had two thighs.

Two skillets full.

Going to have lots of turkey, and Lily has settled herself into the kitchen to await whatever might come her way.

My cast iron skillets needed a good bake with something in them, as they don't get much use these days, just hang over my stove looking neglected and forlorn...they will be very happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3744.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	275698  
Old 11-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #3327
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Your turkey looks lovely. How do you prep it, anything in the pan, covered?

Cut the grass in shorts yesterday. So enjoyable and didn't even break a sweat.

Participating in this forum has made me more aware of how early and late winter can affect us all. When you live in such an opposite climate you almost forget.

You and Lily stay warm in your lovely stove warmed home.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:22 PM   #3328
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, I've never roasted turkey parts in cast iron before, but I thought...what the heck, it ought to work, right? Such a great conductor of heat.

I cut them to more or less uniform in size, then rinsed and patted the pieces dry, salt, pepper and a little garlic powder.

Because my skillets hadn't been used in awhile, I coated the inside and out with a little canola oil, then put them in the oven at 325 for 2+ hours til I tested the thick pieces with a sharp knife to see that the juices ran clear.

I basted them once, and covered loosely with foil, shiny side down, the last half hour.

Worked great, and tastes delicious.

I wanted to roast it, so I did, and would pronounce the method a success.

Lily planted herself on the kitchen floor and whimpered at me to get to it, which I did, and she got a small bit.

She did some serious ball chasing while I was doing leaves, so is now down for a nap.

Booger dog.

Maggie
Old 11-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #3329
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Well, I was going to have ham, but that turkey looks awfully delicious.... May change... and the pets love turkey !!!

Oh,and weather.. it's pouring rain here between blasts of sunshine... Oregon..
Old 11-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #3330
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry for your rain, Gail....but, it's Oregon, in all its beauty and splendor.

The turkey came out great, and I will do it in the cast iron again....my skillets are very, very happy after some re-seasoning.

Maggie
Old 11-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #3331
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Thanks Maggie... like you said, it's Oregon... and it's just rain...no matter, I still love it here!!! Enjoy the day!! Hugs and love and happy holidays to everyone!!!
Old 11-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #3332
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, and rain is essential for life.

It is clear and sunny again today, tho 21 degrees this morning and a hard frost.

We had a drought in the Midwest not too many years ago, and I vowed then not to complain about rain again....crops died, cattle and pigs were slaughtered because of the cost of feed.

It was very sobering.

Working on the leaf mass again this morning...going to start sweeping it onto tarps tomorrow, if my yard guys don't get here.

It's good for my aging body, I tell myself, and to know I can do it if I must.

You know you're addicted to something when you are bargaining with yourself to stop...."I'll finish this row, this hat, this scarf, etc., then make myself run the vacuum, rake the leaves, walk the dog, etc."

I am addicted to crochet, yes I am. Could be worse.

And, my box for Faithworks is nearly full.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3755.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	275762  
Old 11-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #3333
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
That's funny?? I answered you about the rain but the post isn't there??? Anyway, rain is fine..it's Oregon ya know hahaha... today was sunny and I mowed in front of the cottage..life is good!! Keep having fun!!! Hugs and love and happy holidays everyone !!!

Ok, now it showed up... whatever.... so disregard this one...
Old 11-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #3334
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's there, #3331.

It's supposed to rain here tomorrow afternoon and Wednesday, so in the morning I will be hauling tarps full of leaves from the back yard to the curb.

Should be interesting to see how my body holds up to that, tho sometimes I just like to see what it can still do.

I could ask for help, but I won't.

I can do it.

Poking around on ancestry today, I found a newspaper article submitted by a distant cousin.... of my 3rd ggf's brother, complete with picture, which gives me an idea what my 3rd ggf may have looked like.

This the man who came with his family down the TN and MS rivers to Natchez in 1806, and built the home that is still standing that I was in for the first time almost 2 years ago.

Fascinating.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #3335
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Saved...had an email from my yard guys this morning that they will be here today to get the leaves in the back, and to do a final mow.

I was seriously dreading hauling a truck load of leaves from the back to the front, but was going to make myself do it, and not nag them to do something they had agreed to take care of....like some other things, chronically, which is why I have hired a new service beginning next year.

I just don't need the aggravation, and my sense of loyalty to these guys has diminished.

Yes, of course, I have talked with them...that's what I do...and I wish them well, but they can continue to cut their teeth on other customers.

Instead of hauling leaves, I will trim some bushes and clean out other areas that were going to be put on the back burner...perhaps not to get done at all til the spring.

One of the things I have absolutely held my own feet to the fire on for decades is doing what I say I am going to do...professionally, in family and personal..even casual...relationships.

Following thru was part of becoming a real adult for me...flawed tho I am , I try very hard to be a good person.

Needless to say, that is also a characteristic I value most in others...tho it seems to be the exception rather than the rule with most people.

If you don't intend to follow thru, why offer, or say you're going to do something? How hard is that?

Being a person of your word is part of what defines you, and your very character, in my opinion.

Why would one not want to be a person of their word. It's important.

Sun is shining, for now...going to make hay.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #3336
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Amen, we value that also.

The road is paved with good intentions. But good intentions and follow thru is best.

Some examples from my life are:

Make a contracting type of appointment, taking a V day at work and then they are a no show no call....life gets crazy but call me please to cancel.

Saying you are bringing something to a gathering then you show up with nothing or don't show up at all. Call me, I'll run to the store and get it.

Failing to RSVP and showing up with 8 people. I'm glad to see you but am trying to plan ahead for amounts of food and seating.

Life😚.....

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #3337
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, Hittenstiehl.

Maturation comes very late to some, or not at all....then there are others who simply choose to take advantage.

I am aghast at those who show up at potlucks, sometimes with extra guests via kids/grandkids/friends, without making a contribution to same.

I was at a large gathering this past year, where the potluck tables should have been groaning with food...instead, what dishes had been brought were scraped clean, and pickings were slim for those not toward the front of the very, very long lines.

What?!? Were you raised by wolves?!?

On a more positive note, all of my flowering shrubs have now been cut back, and their beds cleaned out, so once the guys are done this afternoon I should have a fairly neat and tidy yard.

The far back still needs some attention, but there is time yet for that.

I am talking with a couple of landscapers, including the one I hired for next year, about replacing all my borders next year with large river rock.

Cobblestone, it's called, they tell me.

I love the looks of it, think it will be beautiful with my siding, and it reminds me of beloved places we have been in the Interstate that I will eventually no longer be able to travel to.

Fact...tho I would like to think I have 10 or more travel years yet.

My hope is that the Interstate lasts as long as I do.

Life is not perfect, but I have much to be grateful for.

Yes, 'tis true.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3761.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	275806  
Old 11-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #3338
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Those rocks are pretty and will blend nicely with the run off spout areas you created.

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #3339
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think they will look nice.

Been cooking a bit today, in preparation for tomorrow....have a loaf of bread setting, to bake in the morning, and made Martha Stewart's Pecan Bars in lieu of the usual pecan pie..much less quantity, overall, which seems to make sense.

Also have been immersed in ancestry.com since yesterday ...kind of like crochet, once one is in, it is hard to stop. After awhile, you just have to put it down.

Did do some serious sleuthing and nailed down a few names on the branch with the black hole, tho some of that will almost certainly always remain a mystery...them that know the answers and directions to go are dead or ain't talkin'.

However, later vital records contain a great deal of information, if one has the time to go digging.

Rainy and chilly out, so I have good reason not to be tackling the far back, and have kept a low fire going all day.

Have a good Holiday, y'all.

Maggie
Old 11-24-2016, 06:07 AM   #3340
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Good holiday to you also, Maggie. Pet Lily for me.

Blackie and I are camped in my daughter's driveway--full hookups, no less. Serious cooking began yesterday. Good eating this afternoon. More family coming in. All good fun.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote