Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #3281
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Knitting is good, too.

Maggie
Old 11-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #3282
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The belief that guardian angels, and the spirits of loved ones gone, communicate with us may have been lurking somewhere in my subconscious before Doug died, but certainly since he has died this has become a clear part of my belief system....and, I pay attention.

He communicated with me in the hospital, and continues to do so from his perch in the afterlife. He knows me better than I know myself, and I him, and it was a big part of the glue that bound us together...seeing the good, the bad, and the ugly, and loving the other in spite of and because of all of that.

Help comes, direction comes, and comfort comes, from our individual posse of helpers on the other side....you just have to listen to those thoughts that seem to come out of nowhere, and pay attention to them.

It's not "nowhere", that's what I believe these days.

I posted a quote sometime ago about the comfort that comes from a belief that unseen forces are caring for you...a good thing, a get-you-thru-a-difficult-day thing, a help-is-always-there thing, a you-are-loved-and-supported-at-all-times thing.

One of the things I appreciate most these days is this belief.

I don't know why, but I felt a need to write this this morning.

Maybe someone else needs to read it.

Maggie
Old 11-12-2016, 10:05 AM   #3283
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you've ever had and loved a woodstove, you know this is not the cleanest heat source available.....but, you live with that and put up with it because, of course, it's a woodstove.

During fire season, the living room and eat in kitchen that adjoins are the dustier parts of the little house, but I can handle that.

Everything washes or is cleanable in some way, so why not have this heat source that brings a smile to my face and such a peaceable, warm feeling inside.

A couple of times a year, keeping things reasonably clean requires attending to the ceiling fan in the living room, which gently circulated heat throughout the house when my children were growing up here, and now seldom runs in season as very cool bedrooms are just fine with me.

Instead, it runs constantly on low 7-8 months out of the year, to move air a bit for me who over-heats easily.

Needless to say, it is one of the fiercest dust catchers in the house, and when turned off at the beginning of fire season it is a fright of clinging dust clumps.

And so, on a step stool this morning, I vacuumed the fan blades and then washed them clean...something I would not have done 3 years ago because, of course, Doug did those things.

I remember that first Spring getting my son to do them for me....he who needs no step stool ...but I have done them since, and haven't fallen once.

There were a lot of things my sweet son did that first year, as I slogged through the trauma and grief of Doug's sudden and unexpected death.

Solo me does most all of those things myself these days, no longer slogging, but I never cease to be aware of how far I've come since March 12, 2014.

I miss him every day, but surviving and going on is a skill set one acquires by getting up every day...and then doing what needs to be done.

One doesn't need to like it, one does need to just do it, that's what I think....confidence and strength then come.

A good thing.

Maggie
Old 11-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #3284
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Maggie!

I so enjoy following along on your thread, a sense of excitement when I am notified that a new post has been made by you or one of the others who are also following along.

Your feeling that "someone else may need to read it" was spot on, as I, for one, needed to be reminded of it just now. I have a surgery coming this next week, which is causing some concern, but trying to remain positive. Being reminded of my Guardian Angels is a good thing.

Thank you.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #3285
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Deb, and good to hear from you...interesting, as you've been on my mind lately as you haven't posted in awhile, and I have thought about pm'ing you to check up on ya.

Yep, I do think we are all watched out for from the other side of the veil, that I do.

Hope your surgery goes well. You will be in my thoughts.

Maggie
Old 11-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #3286
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Grandkidlings came yesterday, tho the expected has occurred....they tired quickly of raking and leaves, so we played Uno.

They're growing up.

We had a great visit, minus the usual hours of leaf play, they still romped in the yard and we cooked over the fire....and they loved, loved, loved the new space heater.

I left it on low in the back bedroom last night...the thermostat switches the blower off at whatever temperature you set, but the lovely red glow and simulated heat rising remains as long as it is on.

Perfect, and I will especially appreciate it on cold, rainy days in the Interstate this winter.

My daughter has been urging me to watch Bloodline on Netflix, so this afternoon I did just that, while working to finish the prayer shawl to take in tomorrow afternoon.

Very good, a mystery series centered around a family in Key West, and a relaxing way to wind down after busy.

Those kids can eat, and I am glad I do not have to purchase nor prepare three meals a day for that crew on a fulltime basis.

I do enjoy doing it in small doses, however.

Sweet son, who is IT and works from home, is loaning me his car on Hospice Mondays, which will allow a run to the grocery store and handling the volunteer work without Uber'ing to and fro all over town, so that is in the driveway, ready for early labs and some shopping tomorrow.

Not much news, but all is well.

Maggie
Old 11-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #3287
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Thanks for the update... all.sounds well in your part of the world... fine out here... rainy, but..well Oregon.... keep having fun!! Hugs and love from the misty-drizzly, now referred to as miszly Oregon coast...
Old 11-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #3288
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
All is well here, Miss Gail.

I don't envy you the rainy weather coast of Oregon, but for the additional opportunities for fires in the woodstove.

Maggie
Old 11-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #3289
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Some of the most beautiful places on the coast to camp, in spite of the rain.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #3290
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
True, and I do love Oregon.

Doug's and my first trip there was in a rented Class C, after we trained it from home to Seattle.

I often start my day looking at the words of others that I have saved on my iPad....they can center me, inspire me, comfort me, motivate me...

I started doing this after Doug died...in-house therapy of a sort.

We are all more alike than we are different, which is why the writings of people we have never met can be so meaningful.

A good thing.... good to find them, to read them, to save them to reread at will.

I love Van Gogh...such a sensitive and tortured soul.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3641.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	275435  
Old 11-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #3291
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am really aggravated at talking heads recently making the absolutely asinine statements that a person is not really represented by their words, that this "isn't who he/she is".

What??!!?? Who believes that??!!?? No one with a frigging lick of sense.

We are our words, whether they are written or are stated.

They reflect our beliefs, our values, our thoughts, and what we hold most dear to our hearts.

They are us, we are them, period, the end. The good, the bad, and the ugly...we are our words.

That is fact, unless one is suffering from dementia, in which case they may be excused.

Please.

Too many people...and entities...believe that if words are said or written, they become fact, even in fact if they are not fact. It happens all the time.

"Never confuse a memo with reality", as the man once said.

We now have this current phenomenon where some seem to be trying to confuse people with even moderate levels of intelligence..."don't believe their words", "this is not who they are."

What??!!?? Do they think we're all stupid.??!!??

Small rant over.

Maggie
Old 11-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #3292
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
I'm still not watching tv... except for the Seahawks game!!! Hugs and love to you back there... keep having fun...
Old 11-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #3293
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Old 11-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #3294
Rivet Master

Reading between the lines. OMG!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #3295
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
On a more positive note....prayer shawl, done!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3674.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	275464  
Old 11-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #3296
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
A Different Life II

"When people show you who they are, believe them the first time."

Nice prayer shawl! My Mom was a huge knitter. She did all kinds of stichery-related stuff, including knitting, embroidery, cross-stitch, quilting, and Hardanger embroidery. She left us many wonderful hand-crafted things to remember her by.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #3297
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a good one, Bill...I'll remember it ...and thanks.

I am a crochet-only girl, tho have done some embroidery in my life.

I like pretty stitches, too, tho simple patterns.

Another positive note....some beautiful pictures out there of the super moon!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3651.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	275465  
Old 11-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #3298
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was very handy borrowing my son's car for labs, hospice, and a few other errands today.

Picked up Lily before dropping it off, and we then hoofed it the mile home...good for her, good for me.

My beloved beach campground at beloved Edisto Beach sent out emails today, that it will now be closed at least thru the end of August 2017.

Hit very hard by Hurricane Matthew, the entire campground....actually, also much of the town of Edisto Beach....was under sand, the sites basically disappearing and the utilities damaged.

I had selected a smaller, dune-side site for this next year...close to the bathhouse, and not as busy with vehicle traffic as the one I was in this past year...so I was already concerned that digging it out would be a problem.

I expect that when I get back in 2018, and I will, the campground will look entirely different than in the past.

I'm glad we/I have those wonderful memories of Edisto time.

I've still got my two weeks at James Island in February, and will just have to take a few day trips down there to satisfy my longing for that place.

I am sad, and don't feel like paying the big bucks for Huntington Beach up the road a-ways, as it is just not the same campground or beach.

Edisto is just...Edisto.

Not sure what I'll do, but I don't have to decide right now.

It's been a busy day....time for wine.

Maggie
Old 11-15-2016, 04:43 AM   #3299
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I have good friend where I worked, one of my corporate assistants. She and her family have a house on Edisto, have had for years. It's still there, but apparently like the campground will take months to get ready for use.

Mother Nature and her power is amazing.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:44 AM   #3300
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's sad, indeed, but storms are a part of life, right?...we go on.

I'm thinking of the Smokies, and spending some time in Tennessee, for the month of March...Doug will find me wherever I am.

Bud, I think I'm on week 4 or 5 with the supplements, and brushing Lily I think I have noticed less fur coming off.

Too soon to declare a success, but I am hopeful.

Maggie
Attached Images