Old 04-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #2269
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't have a problem being a squeaky wheel when the situation calls for it , but for now I will lead a small rebellion of one.

I filled out my Member Participation Form and paid my $25 annual fee for a single person , declining to provide my email address, medical info or to sign the release of information so that my personal information can be used.

There was someone looking over the forms to be sure they were filled out correctly, but she did not question nor challenge my alterations to it.

Once registered, they give you a little scan card for your keychain, which you are supposed to scan each time you come in, and then tap on a computer screen menu for where you are going .... "in case someone calls here looking for you".

They wanted to take my picture with their computer, I politely declined that, too. There are three pages of rules, all pretty much common sense and reasonable.

I did ask what arrangements there were for Seniors who could not afford the Membership Fee, as even low income Seniors should have access to the Center...nothing formally in place, apparently, "but I'm sure something could be worked out".

A fee waiver isn't openly offered for folks below a certain income, nor does it appear anywhere on their Website, and it is hard for many to ask. I think this should be changed, and low income participants encouraged.

I do know one of the people on their new advisory board, as he and his wife were foster parents for many years, and they are good people. I will talk with him privately when I see him next.

A Senior Center. Yikes.

Little house is cleaned and sparkling, and I have laid in provisions for the grands who will be here tomorrow and spend the night with Grandma.

We will build a fire in the new fire pit, roast hot dogs, and I will bake the annual birthday cake for all 3 of them....the two boys having birthdays within a month of each other in the spring, Emma's in July.

They like that, and we have done those the past few years...since they all graduated to "friends" parties, rather than the extended family gatherings of small children.

Tea and I are now having a break.

Maggie

Old 04-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #2270
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Emma's flowering crab apple tree, in the back yard of the little house, is in full bloom just a few days out of the year...

Looks like it needs to be shaped, doesn't it....I think I have a small hacksaw around here somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	742.2 KB
ID:	261182  

Old 04-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #2271
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Chocolate cake...baked, frosted, and ready to go.

I used the recipe off a box of TJ's Cocoa...3 sticks of butter, 5 eggs, 3 cups of buttermilk. The leftovers will go home with the kids in the morning.

Bale of straw picked up to bolster the archery target behind the shed.

Small shelf unit for my daughters old room...now "the girls room" when the grands overnight...not quite put together, tho I did get the cordless drill out and pretty much took care of it.

I'm having trouble getting some of those screws in straight, but reinforcements will be here soon.

I get into that tool bag, and I just want to weep. . But, I didn't.

Neighbors to the south and I jointly undertook fence repair this morning....our respective dogs are determined to dig and claw their way to each other, and their wood panel fence has taken a hit.

Wielding heavy hammer and long nails, I did my part from this side.

I am woman...hear me roar.

Next weekend...Iowa.

Maggie
Old 04-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #2272
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Sometimes better than being the squeaking wheel is knowing somebody, and it looks like you do. Way to go, Maggie!
Old 04-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #2273
Rivet Master

Good for you, Maggie! You keep on "roaring"! Enjoy the grands today. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #2274
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Sometimes better than being the squeaking wheel is knowing somebody, and it looks like you do. Way to go, Maggie!
Well, I will talk with him, and see what his response is.

I might write a letter, but I'll wait awhile.

I just think it's wrong to charge for the Senior Center which was previously free, and not offer a waiver for those who can't afford it.

Maggie
Old 04-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #2275
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The chocolate cake was delicious.

It makes a huge cake, in two 9" pans, so I split the layers before frosting.

The kids were delighted.

They ran their legs off yesterday, playing electronics-free in my backyard yard, and basketball with a neighbor child. I like tired children at bedtime.

Having a string of perfect weather, going to pick up a couple of bags of those very large river rocks I spied at Home Depot and do some downspout modification today.

I'm in the mood for yard things....best take advantage of that while it is here, as when the heat sets in I will be not-so-interested.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	261276  
Old 04-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #2276
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily and I were slugs yesterday...both of us tired from the activity of the grands, so we did basically nothing productive, but tidy up the house.

Got some more cedar mulch this morning for the back yard flower beds, and picked up the large, smooth, beach rocks I spied last week at Home Depot ....I'm going to love looking at those, even tho I have never been on a beach that had rocks that looked like that.

It's the colors I will appreciate.

I resume volunteer Mondays at the hospice center this week, tho now have someone to share that weekly task with, so I won't need to do it every Monday....and, that's okay.

Not much going on here, just checking in.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #2277
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Thx for checking in. I check daily to see what you're up to and confirm that you are okay.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #2278
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie... about the same here... doing the brother thing... thinking it's sunny and the yard is calling me!!!! pats and hugs and love from Oregon
Old 04-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #2279
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You're sweet.

I have my range of days, like everyone else....much of which I share here, not everything...but I am always okay.

I appreciate my friends here.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2016, 11:58 AM   #2280
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I resume volunteer Mondays at the hospice center this week, tho now have someone to share that weekly task with, so I won't need to do it every Monday....and, that's okay.

Since I've trained both our dogs to be Certified Therapy dogs we go weekly to several facilities. It actually is becoming a bit much as each week someone who looked forward to the dogs and who we enjoyed siting with - passes on. The dogs actually guided us to one persons room and immediately knew they were not there, relatives picking up personal items. Made all four of us sad. So, we are cutting back and then gone for three months this summer and fall.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #2281
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, that would be hard, Bud.

I don't know that I will ever be ready to deal directly with hospice patients....someone else can do that who doesn't crochet prayer shawls.

My Monday afternoons there are a paperwork task...rather tedious, lengthy, and uninspiring...tho necessary to Tuesday morning clinical staffings, and I don't mind helping out with that, but every week when I am home is more than I want.

However, I needed to be involved in something outside of here...and, so I have.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #2282
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Yep, that would be hard, Bud.

I don't know that I will ever be ready to deal directly with hospice patients....someone else can do that who doesn't crochet prayer shawls.

My Monday afternoons there are a paperwork task...rather tedious, lengthy, and uninspiring...tho necessary to Tuesday morning clinical staffings, and I don't mind helping out with that, but every week when I am home is more than I want.

However, I needed to be involved in something outside of here...and, so I have.

Maggie
And it's terrific what you do. We see all kinds of volunteers doing all kinds of great work for the Hospice. Ours is as one can imagine right "on the line", much of the time we spend is spent or rather the dogs spend time with the families and the staff people. My wife Alice interacts with the patients quite a bit, I'm watching both dogs just to make sure no one pokes one in the eye, tries to feed them medicine etc.

It's great what you do, no one we have seen knits for the patients that we have seen.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote