Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #301
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I got my grass seed down just in time, as it has rained most of the past 24 hours.

Maggie
Old 05-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #302
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Maggie, good for you on your hat and the color -- a pop of color is always a "good thing".

Your rain is on its way here tonight, and so many people around here are planning to go to the Rolling Stones concert at OSU Stadium tonight -- the storms and the concert are due to begin about the same time! Too bad; one of my dear friends has tickets and is planning to go with family/friends -- she says she always wanted to see them and she doesn't care if they are in their 70's and still playing or not! (I must say, that wasn't intended as a slam against anyone with age, I am in my mid 60's too, I guess it's just that when you think of Rock 'N Rollers, you don't think of 70yr. olds -- or at least in the past we didn't.) I told her I saw them many, many years ago in Mobile, AL (early 1970's) when I lived in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. I remember the concert well, the opening act was a gospel group, then Stevie Wonder, and then the Stones -- they were all so good!

On another note, we haven't been able to go camping yet, can you believe that!? We haven't even dewinterized!!! DH has been on a special assignment for work for a couple of months now, and before that he had to prep for it/order in parts & prepare contractors for some of the work. It's supposed to be coming to a close next week, I sure hope so -- it's rough when he has to work 7 days/week for weeks at a time! Not entire days every day on the weekends, but has to go in to see that things are going correctly and that everyone is on task; once he's in there and people see that he is, they keep finding more and more things for him to look at and schedule in -- which just going in puts a stop to our doing much of anything. Well, I'm not really complaining, although I guess I am -- we are very blessed that he has a job when many don't!

I envy you on your trip out West which is coming up. Although, I think I'd be afraid to do the hikes -- afraid of snakes/mountain lions. We loved our trip to the Vintage Trailer Academy in New Mexico last April/May. We were just talking the other day about our first trip out West after retirement -- unless things change, we're going to Idaho, we've never been there and a fellow at DH's work said it is beautiful out there. Can't wait.

We're hoping to get some time away in June -- somewhere fairly close so we don't spend all our time driving, then in the Fall we have reservations at Grayton Beach SP, FL -- our first time there, we normally stay at Top Sail, but we decided to give it a try after reading comments from here.

Best of luck with the family get-together next week. We used to have all the holidays here at our home, but now so many family members have passed on, and/or moved away, it is just our children/grands and us, which is fine.

Also, I know exactly what you are saying about family. My half-sister whom I was very close with passed on in 2004 from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma; I have one brother (full biological), but brother/sister relationships aren't the same as sister/sister, at least in my experience they aren't. We get along just fine, but he isn't as "close" as my relationship with Roxie was. I have one other half-sister, but she isn't close with the family at all and she and her husband haven't been the nicest of people, so we stay clear of them. We've tried to interact with them, but sometimes people just don't understand how families interact with each other; she was estranged from our family (her choice) for over 40 yrs., and I tried to get the family back together, which didn't work at all (I talked the rest of the family into giving her another chance, which they didn't want to do, so I sort of put myself on the line to try to get the situation resolved). Very disappointing for me. Talk about disfunctional!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #303
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Stones! Would I love to see the Stones!

Sorry you have not been able to go camping, Deb. Such a nice break in the routine it is. You'll have to plan something special when hubby's work settles down.

You know, I would never set out into the wilderness alone , but Ray has styled this for novices and pretty low-key in terms of endurance testing. I can do it, am healthy and in pretty decent shape these days, and will sit down and rest if I need to. I am really looking forward to it......really, really, really.

Had an extended phone conversation with my best friend, as I was just getting on here to respond. She is a real rock hound, and would come if they could. I will find her some special rocks.

I'm not letting myself be afraid of animals and snakes, as the area we are going to is one Ray and his wife have been going to for 8 years. Animals and snakes are there, but have not been a problem for them. And, we will be in a group.

I'm just going to go, be grateful for the opportunity and experience, and savor it.

Sibling relationships can be so toxic.....and so hard to avoid the problems. Toxic or no contact, is the choice I face. I've tried hard to fix some of that dysfunction, but it takes effort on both sides. Some are not able, at all, to see what they do and how they affect others.....or, they simply are small people and just don't care. That, too.

Being my own primary caregiver these days, I have taken some steps back, emotionally. Enough said.

Enjoy Florida, Deb, and thanks for dropping in.

Maggie
Old 05-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #304
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I did get Lily out for a good walk in between bouts of rain....up to the detention basin north of here, where she can run and rip a bit.

She's crashed on the couch, a happy girl.

Maggie
Old 05-31-2015, 05:50 AM   #305
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Temps had dropped here about 30 degrees by early evening yesterday, and we have had a lot of rain. When it warms up in a couple of days, the grass is going to go crazy.

Lily has become a real wuss over the years, choosing not to go out and squat her little self down when it is raining, snowing, the grass is cold and wet, etc. So, politely declined my invitation before bed last night, stepping out and coming right back in.

Instead, waking me at 4 am, sitting close to the bed, whimpering plaintively. She is somehow very aware, and respectful of, my sleep, and always has been.....seems to "get" that I am unavailable. So, knowing she is waking me only because she really has to go....not surprising....up I get to put her out, and just decide to start my coffee and begin my day.

My electric percolator had died, so picked up a pretty, rather dark red embellished Mr. Coffee at WalMart yesterday, which has a setting for Regular or Strong brew.

It takes up way too much counter space to suit me, after the 8 cup percolator, but I was disappointed in the lack of longevity in that 18 month old unit, so went back to the good old standby. My most favorite coffee, tho, is from the stovetop percolator in the Interstate.

Yikes! Hit the strong, as I like coffee with real flavor, and it is almost too strong for me, which is saying something. Tomorrow....regular brew.

Ray Eklund tells me he will have a 45 and a shotgun, and his wife a 38, along on our wilderness rockdocking adventure, making me think.....do you follow this thread, Ray, and read of Deb's expressed concern yesterday over snakes and mountain lions out there?

I did have a moment's pause, reading her post, wondering if a mountain lion might snatch up Lily for an easy meal....tho would have to catch her, first, and she would put up a fight......but felt certain Ray would not take us all someplace dangerous and/or for which he was unprepared. One just doesn't get the sense that Ray Eklund is that kind of a person.

He will be prepared for most eventualities, as Doug would be. Doug would have had at least one handgun along, probably two, and exercised his open carry permit privileges out there.

Doug was one of those men with a cool head and a "strong male presence". I always told him that if there was ever a life or death emergency, I would simply get behind him....and follow him out. I trusted him with my life, and that he would make the right decisions. I miss having that, and having him here.

Doug would have enjoyed this trip, and relished an opportunity to use his handgun outside of an indoor range.

Maggie

"Every time we make the decision to love someone, we open ourselves to great suffering, because those we most love cause us not only great joy but also great pain. The greatest pain comes from leaving... If we want to avoid the suffering of leaving, we will never experience the joy of loving. And love is stronger than fear, life stronger than death, hope stronger than despair. We have to trust that the risk of loving is always worth taking."-- Henri Nouwen

Maggie
Old 05-31-2015, 06:04 AM   #306
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Amen. Henri has some wisdom beyond himself... Have a blessed trip!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:11 AM   #307
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
from the forest...

[QUOTE=Lily&Me;1629364]The attachment from this morning was a quote from Winnie the Pooh:

You can't stay in your corner of the Forest,
waiting for others to come to you.
You have to go to them sometimes.

Hi Maggie!!! and Lily tooo!!! yes, I love Winnie the Pooh... love the songs... I didn't have children but still managed to find Winnie in my life...

The treatments for my brother end July 15th.. I wanted to bolt right outta here after that... but I doubt he'll be feeling well afterwards... I can't see how I'd be able to get to NM...

If not however!!! I will have my maps out and will follow you the whole way!!! vicarious rving!!! piccys too I'm sure!!! I haven't totally given up hope... just being realistic..

Our friends arrive in a week or so... more fun coming there... I'll keep you in the loop... Keep having fun!!! hugs and love, gail
Old 05-31-2015, 10:33 AM   #308
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
I am quite certain that Ray will have everything under control & will take excellent care of all in attendance, I hope I didn't sound as tho I doubted that. I was merely showing one of my vulnerabilities (which I normally try to keep to myself) & saying what I'd be fearful of. I would like to say again that I'd love to go along, but also saying those fears would be lurking for me.

Probably my fear of snakes comes from my coming across a Copperhead snake when I was young & out mushroom hunting with family. I didn't see it at first -- only saw the area of huge mushrooms & was contemplating how to get to them. An older cousin warned me & stepped between the snake & me until we could both back away very, very quietly & slowly.

Will the heat be a problem out there this time of the year? Just wondering. Our AC works but was wondering if it would have to run 24/7; I like to try to "store" info in case we are able to head to that area some time in the future.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:07 AM   #309
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Deb,

It didn't sound a bit as if you doubted Ray would take care of us, nor do I think mountain lions or snakes are an unreasonable fear.

Not interested in encountering either.

What I meant was that I am going to trust Ray, and that we will be safe. He has said he has seen one snake in 8 years......although a 6' one.

One of the things that has changed for me in these past 14 months......I no longer fear death. When your number is up, your number is up.

Doug always saw death that way, but had too much experience losing suddenly people very close to him, which I had as yet avoided.

Not that I will be reckless......but am going to work toward a reasonable degree of fearless.

Maggie
Old 05-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #310
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ray says.....temps perhaps in the low to mid 80's, with no humidity.

I am very, very humidity intolerant, but can handle low humidity, moderate heat.

There will be no air conditioning where we are going, Deb, as it will be off grid....so no hookups of any kind.

The most I expect to need is my vent fan, but might not need that. If we're going to be out in the middle of nowhere, might just put the rear screen in and leave that open. We have done that on the beach.

Maggie
Old 05-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #311
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry you won't be able to make it, Gail.

One of these days......

Maggie
Old 05-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #312
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
On another note.....

I didn't want to buy a backpack for this wilderness trip, as I am not a backpack person , but needed something to carry water, some first aid things, a few snacks, etc.

My health insurance company gives a $75 gift card if you have an annual physical , so I took myself to Kohl's this morning for new bath towels.....and found this little item on sale, and very inexpensive.

More like a sturdy, nylon sack with shoulder straps, it should work perfectly, stow nicely....and look at the colors!

With my violet sun hat, I will be all about the color, out there amongst the hummingbirds.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	239650  
Old 05-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #313
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
A Different Life II

Adidas shoe bags are great for any variety of uses. Both Olga and I have one for those extra things that we need to take with us on the AS that may not fit on our backpacks.

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:21 PM   #314
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Love your little sack/pack Maggie. Perfect size for what you need. We keep a couple of those in the car also. Great for those times where you might pick up a couple of small things, might be carrying a few things and appreciate hands free. Mine work great as long as I don't overload them and carry them all day as the strings are a bit thin. Quite roomy and very convenient. Like your bright colors.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #315
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks.

Girl colors.

Maggie
Old 06-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #316
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My hat arrived today, and is every bit as vivid in color as the photo.

Fits perfectly, has a narrow chin strap and a nice, wide brim.....I love it.

Coincidentally.....the violet of the hat matches almost perfectly that on the sack/pack I picked up yesterday.

There is something about getting older, and more grey, that has drawn me the past few years to brighter colors......the grey washes one out so, and I'm not interested in dyeing my hair.

Whatever....it's a great hat.

To do list is getting to where I can almost put it on just a sticky note.

Doug would call that list "self-imposed pressure", and....he would be right. I can't help it. It's spring, and family is coming.

Daughter and her hubby will be here Thursday, we will cook on Friday, family here Saturday, Chicago on the train with the grands Monday.

Wednesday thru the weekend......the Moraine View rally.....then....I will start to pull things together for The Great Trip West the end of the month.

Maggie
Old 06-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #317
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I have to think that goes back to her abandoned self, prior to our finding her.....when she was a very, very hungry girl. Sweet baby"

We don't find them, they find us and always for a reason.

Take Care

Enjoy
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #318
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think so, too.

She's a dear, and I truly don't know what I would have done without her this past year.

Maggie
Old 06-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #319
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Which is why she was "found". In my world and my history I've come to understand and accept that God knows, long before we do. Lily is your crutch and she wants and accepts that role. Good for you both.

My Best

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #320
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Maggie - don't let Lily talk you into carrying more bones and snacks or pretty soon you'll have wished you did get the bigger backpack! The purchase of the hat is wise and keep that water handy - it's starting to get hot out there!

Jeff in St. George, UT
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote

« No Game Changer | Top | - »