Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #3161
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've had several pm's about cancelling Moraine View...so out of character for me.

When the Xfinity guy was here on Monday, I moved and cleaned some things around and near my woodstove, and really did a number on my sinuses.

I am a very good housekeeper , but there were some things on top of my entertainment center in the corner that hadn't been removed and cleaned since woodstove season ended....they are close to the ceiling and there was a good amount of dust sitting on them.

Been having that sinus ache ever since, and yesterday was actually feeling a bit ill.

I decided I needed to stay home and out of any chill, push fluids and get it over with before I developed a fever and a real mess....which has happened before, but not in many years.

I still have that broad spectrum antibiotic the doctor gave me last year, and if I develop a fever I will take it.

So, I am puttering inside, drinking lots of tea and made some soup.

It seemed the right thing to do....take care of me.

Maggie
Old 10-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #3162
Rivet Master

Yes, soup, especially chicken soup is always good for what ails you! Hope you feel better soon. ? Antihistamine, may be helpful. Claritin, Zyrtec, maybe. MD appointment, also recommended. With old dust inhaled, you may be in line for a sinus infection. Take care of yourself! Good luck.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #3163
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Evelyn.

I started on an antihistamine this am.

No need for an MD at this point...and, my intention is to get no worse.

Maggie
Old 10-14-2016, 05:48 AM   #3164
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This from the Edisto PD Facebook page late yesterday....it's a start.

"We are excited to have everyone return to our "little piece of heaven" tomorrow. Crews have been working hard to get to this point. The power is restored in town, the water is on, and most of the roads are clear. "

The State Park is closed, and all reservations for the beach campground cancelled thru the end of December, tho they are hoping to have parts of the Live Oaks campground and cabins opened in about a month.

All those beautiful trees, so much damage...

Flooding has not yet crested in parts of North Carolina, with large areas already completely under water.

I remember us heading to far western NC, I believe it was, getting out of the way of the hurricane that hit in 2012, I think. Even that far inland, we had torrential rains and high winds, but were in a bit of elevation so no flooding.

I felt a spot in my sinuses kind of "pop" yesterday, as swelling receded a bit...still no fever, just pressure, so I am hopefully on the mend.

Maggie
Old 10-14-2016, 07:42 AM   #3165
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
If you're a fan of spicy foods, the old Texas remedy for sinus congestion is very hot peppers. Jalapeños might do the job, or Habanero, if you're really brave.

Meanwhile, if the drainage from your sinuses turns yellow or green, have the doc check you out. It's important to match the antibiotic to the bug these days, as so many have become resistant.

Hope you feel better very soon.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #3166
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I treated myself to a new teakettle when I returned home from this trip, as I haven't had a proper one in decades...and I wanted this one.

It is a deep red, with tiny black flecks in it.

It makes me smile every time I look at it, and is perfect in my kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3289.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	273506  
Old 10-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #3167
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
If you're a fan of spicy foods, the old Texas remedy for sinus congestion is very hot peppers. Jalapeños might do the job, or Habanero, if you're really brave.

Meanwhile, if the drainage from your sinuses turns yellow or green, have the doc check you out. It's important to match the antibiotic to the bug these days, as so many have become resistant.

Hope you feel better very soon.
Thanks, Mimi.

Pressure, primarily, with headache.

Maggie
Old 10-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #3168
Rivet Master

Maggie, I do hope you are feeling better. Sinus problems can be quite debilitating, especially if they develop a sinus infection. I agree with Mimi on the drainage color and the "correct antibiotic". Take care.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #3169
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm not feeling worse, is the important thing to me , and the antihistamine is helping.

But for walking Lily every day, I have stayed inside the past few chilly days...supposed to be in the mid 70's tomorrow, so am going to venture into the back yard and begin work on that.

Currently using my last candle, I melted some soy chips a bit ago and made some more...cedar wood and pine essential oils...it's that time of year.

It smells heavenly in my little house.

Maggie
Old 10-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #3170
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Flooding is sad for those impacted and yet very little media coverage.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #3171
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The mattress has been flipped this morning...look at me, honey, doing this all by myself...bedding washed, and Lily has had a good walk.

I walked her to downtown Normal, for the first time since Doug died. A favorite Saturday thing for us was to walk the mile downtown on the bike path nearby, get a cup of coffee and sit a bit before walking back.

I've avoided that walk down memory lane, over the creek that still had a beaver dam in it and past the house with a pasture that still had horses in our early days together...yes, right in town.

Being a college town, our downtown area just off-campus...now Uptown Normal...has maintained its original layout, but been well developed and is full of little specialty shops in original buildings.

The train station is right there, ISU bookstore, Children's Discovery Museum, old theatre, etc., and it is a hub of activity in good weather as well as hosting a couple of town festivals every year.

We are lucky in that respect, as many older downtowns are dying, full of empty storefronts from days gone by. Sad to see.

Pulling some things from kitchen cabinets the other day, I have three coffee mugs from CC's in New Orleans...two like this, so we could each use one at the same time, being a "matched pair", as Doug liked to tell people...and one larger one.

I can't bear to part with them, tho may give one of these to Doug's daughter when I see her next weekend.

New Orleans was a favorite, beloved place of ours, which we visited at least once a year from 1992-2014. and I haven't been back yet.

Memories in a coffee cup.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3292.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	273548  
Old 10-16-2016, 05:58 AM   #3172
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
New Orleans/Coffee

Thanks so much, Maggie, for sharing your beloved moments. I have been to New Orleans multiple times, the last in early August for a meeting with friends.

Cafe du Monde...six Beignets, three cups of the half milk/half coffee. And the music.

As one who has lost a loved one, it is the gift of our precious memories which allows us the gratitude for the time we had together.

Thanks again and I hope your sinus troubles are clearing up.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #3173
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Tommie,

Yes, the street musicians are a big part of the French Quarter charm.

We especially loved Mother Tongue, and have a couple of their CD's...but I haven't listened to those, either.

In our early days, we would drive or fly down, spend a couple of nights at the le Richelieu, get up for an early morning walk by the river, and then have cafe au lait and beignets at the Cafe du Monde....and watch the Quarter wake up, and parts of it go to bed.

My German great-great grandparents settled in the Quarter in the 1830's, where he was a blacksmith.

Their only child who survived to procreate, out of about 14, was my great-grandfather.

Lots of history, lots of charm. I'll get back there one of these days.

The sinuses are greatly improved, thanks, and yesterday was the first without a headache.

I took my vacuum apart on Friday, and washed the filters as well as everything else on it that washable, figuring it couldn't hurt.

Definitely better.

Maggie
Old 10-16-2016, 07:15 AM   #3174
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Uptown Normal sounds like what they have done and are doing in the two small towns near where I live now (halfway between). As soon as my sister can find time in her busy schedule, she's going to come stay with me and we're going to explore all those neat shops. It's about 15 miles, either way, so we can't walk there, but at least we drive the back roads and avoid city traffic. I like living out in the country!
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #3175
Rivet Master

Glad you're feeling better.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #3176
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Great Wood Pile of 2013-2014 has diminished to the point that, if it is not all used up this fall and winter, the remainder should fit in the garage and new firewood will need to be purchased to supplement by this time next year.

From two large trees cut down the fall before Doug died, split by our wood man a month or two after his death, and tossed across the fence to be stacked to dry...mostly by me...which took three weeks.

This will be the third winter with that wood, and there has been lots of muscle built in me by its hauling and moving about the yard, onto the patio, and into the house.

Now reduced to two good rows stacked against the house, patio has been scrubbed and tidied, and the back yard is looking respectable.

Did you know...Hertz has weekend rentals starting at $9.99/day for Economy cars?

Can't beat that price, and one is reserved by me for this next weekend with the grands.

It is 85 and humid today. I'm ready for cooler weather.

Maggie
Old 10-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #3177
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I came across this idea for homemade firestarters somewhere, after finding paper muffin cups in a cabinet last week, so made some yesterday for the woodstove.

We have always kept fatwood sticks for lighting fires in the woodstove, as I need something that will burn long enough to get the wood going, but these are supposed to burn for 10-15 minutes, which will do the trick.

I bought a bag of compacted cedar chips for animal bedding in the pet department at the Meier store yesterday...about $4 for enough to make at least several hundred ...and used soy chips I had on hand.

These were easy, and came out great, but I have read that you can also use the paraffin wax widely available for old-style jam and jelly making, so am going to pick up some of that for the next batch as it is considerably less expensive.

Light the edge to start..

They will make great gifts.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3300.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	273719  
Old 10-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #3178
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Better yet, use the canning paraffin after prying it out of the jam jar.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #3179
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That would work, too.

Something else I saw suggested melting down the last bits of candles for this, adding a piece of crayon for color, dipping a facial cleansing pad or cotton ball in melted wax to make fire starters....lots of ideas out there.

I love the smell of cedar, so these are perfect for me...also need something that burns a bit longer because I don't build a fire in the woodstove like I do outside, where there are pine cones and needles, dry twigs, etc., handy for kindling.

I'm going to pick up some paraffin before I drop the Interstate off at Cook's later...where it will spend a few days getting a ding repaired from where I backed into a tree this last trip.

My first needlework group since I'm back will be Thursday....going to Uber there, and walk back.

Practice for being without a vehicle here pretty soon.

Maggie
Old 10-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #3180
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
And egg cartons work instead of the muffin cups....