Old 04-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #2213
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would add your fresh rosemary at the mixing process, Hittenstiehl, perhaps cutting back a bit on quantity as the resting process will allow it to permeate the dough

When I do rye bread, the caraway seeds go in with the other ingredients, and the end result is such a beautiful, flavorful and aromatic loaf.

You could then sprinkle a bit more Rosemary on top of your dough when you put it in the oven....it would be beautiful, and smell heavenly.

Post a picture!

Maggie

Old 04-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #2214
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Evelyn, there will be rock chips and a few dings here and there....hard to look at, initially, but eventually they become evidence of well loved use, and you will not notice them as much.

I have a couple of windshield dings that I need to have repaired before I head west this summer...I am so looking forward to that trip.

I was tired and achy when I went to bed last night, but fine this morning. Am going to feed plants and shrubs this morning, then tackle more of the back yard...going to transplant some things and take care of a few other labor intensive chores out there.

The grands will be here overnight next weekend, and I will be ready.

Me, digging a flower bed for lily of the valley along the north side of my little house yesterday....I did it, all by myself.

The ground is very soft right now, so this is the time to do it...with Doug's shovel.

Maggie

Old 04-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #2215
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Johnny Breadmaker.....
Old 04-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #2216
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A matter of personal preference, but never have I ever used a bread maker.

I like having my hands in the dough....it is a living organism that I am turning into something delicious....and, I like.

Speaking of which.....I had a jar of sourdough starter in my freezer since sometime before Doug and I left on our last trip together in January 2014.

I have frozen starter for a year or so before, pulled it out and successfully revived it.....never for this long, but it is thawing in my sink as I speak.

I'll let you know what happens.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #2217
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Starter thawed, stirred thoroughly, then all but 1 cup down the toilet.

It smells very yeasty, which is a good sign.

I added 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup warm water.....and I think it's alive!.

I have found a no-knead sourdough recipe that is the same principal as the bread I make, just uses 1/2 cup starter instead of a bit of yeast.

This will need to regenerate for a couple of days, then I will try it out.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	260819  
Old 04-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #2218
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I poured off the liquid afloat on top this morning, gave it another small feed....and it is definitely working!

It will take a couple of days to get it active enough to where I can use it, but I am excited!

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	36
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	260848  
Old 04-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #2219
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm going to make pavers like these to border a shrub bed in my back yard....not in squares, but I think hexagons.

I love the idea of preserving those beautifully colored, Edisto shells in something permanent and decorative.

Are these not gorgeous?

It seems a relatively simple process, pressing shells into the surface....and I have several bags of concrete left from the fence the neighbor and I put up two years ago.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	260849  
Old 04-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #2220
Rivet Master

Maggie, that does seem to be a very novel idea and also a nice, permanent way to preserve some lovely memories. Good luck in your endeavor. It looks to be hard work, but, with your craft talent, it will be well worth it.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #2221
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My sourdough starter isn't doing much , tho its bubbles lead me to believe it is alive...and eventually will become useable.

I really want to resurrect it....it is a challenge Another small feed this morning, so we'll see what this next 24 hours brings.

I watched a documentary last evening entitled "No Place on Earth", about 38 Jewish men, women and children who survived the Holocaust in the western Ukraine by hiding for a year and a half in caves deep underground.

Such...hardship...a struggle for life we cannot begin to imagine. An amazing story, central to it a strong, brave and determined mother, who did whatever it took to survive.

I have also finished a rather fluff book, about love, loss and survival...touching on the afterlife, spirits of loved ones staying close, etc....set in Ireland, which Doug and I loved, and visited 5 times, I believe.

I loved this line, referring to a special place by the sea. "The living are close to the dead there....it's one of the thin places, where the past and the present touch." The Lace Makers of Glenmara.

I like the concept of thin places, and thin moments.

Yard is coming along. Have decided to go with small, brick sized molds for my small space tabby endeavor....more suitable to the area I'm going to use them for, and they will be easier to manage.

I pulled broken shell bits from my rock bed yesterday, also gathered up all of the tiny shells I had found and brought back from Edisto. They will be perfect for this.

If you're ever there, watch the ground under and around your site, because it is full of tiny shells of all types.

Edisto is on "shell sand", per one of the Rangers...truck loads brought from other parts of the island to fill ruts and smooth out the roads in the campground, and the little guys sift to the surface. Fun to find them.

Another beautiful day in store....begging one to be outside snipping and trimming, tidying and feeding growing things.

Maggie
Old 04-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #2222
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Now we are getting some real activity!

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	260900  
Old 04-18-2016, 06:41 AM   #2223
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The last of the mass of firewood from 2 years ago is moved to my patio, that area cleaned and ready for grass seed. My back is certainly stronger than when I first moved it there, but still aches in acknowledgment of such heavy labor.

Alas, firewood is now taking up about 1/3 of my total patio space, but it is finally all off the ground and out of the yard...and I will get to burning some of the odd bits in my new fire pit to reduce its quantity. I like fire.

The grands can practice their Boy Scout fire building skills next Saturday, and we will cook on it.

Christmas of 2013 we gave the boys a nice compound bow set, and Doug set up a target of straw bales for them in the far back of the yard.

Fast forward to 2 1/2 years later, and the three bales he put in place have understandably deteriorated, so I'm going to tackle replacing those this week.

I know where to get them, and Gorilla Cart will assist in their move from car to the back yard. Should be interesting.

I have a video of him out there with them that very mild Christmas, showing them the ropes with their new bow...they will like that, too.

I have ordered Lily of the Valley for the bed I dug up a few days ago, and have a few other plantings to get in...the yard is coming along, and will soon be as good as my yard gets.

I found 8" hexagonal molds online, very inexpensive and the perfect size, so have ordered a few and am going to use those with a sand/cement mix for my tabby pavers. It will be a process, making these 3 at a time, but that is okay.

I read somewhere that spraying shells with clear Rustoleum will bring their original colors back to life, so I may try that over the top surface. They are always so gorgeous when wet.

I think they will be lovely... a unique and special-to-me touch that I can enjoy every time I step outside.

I found this photo online... a small vertical area cemented over, with collected seashells pressed in.

I love it, and I have so many seashells. Anything that isn't going to be stepped on lends itself to many possibilities.

I have fed my starter again this morning, and am this afternoon going to mix a loaf of rye with it.

It is definitely alive, so we'll see.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.png
Views:	30
Size:	787.5 KB
ID:	260934  
Old 04-18-2016, 06:50 AM   #2224
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Day 3, shortly after this morning's feed.

I've been pouring off the liquid that settles to the top each morning....dark, because it is an old starter.

Stirring it in would make the starter thinner, and more sour.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	28
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	260935  
Old 04-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #2225
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Day 3, shortly after this morning's feed.

I've been pouring off the liquid that settles to the top each morning....dark, because it is an old starter.

Stirring it in would make the starter thinner, and more sour.

Maggie
Do you have an airlock? (We know you have an Airstream! =>. )

I use airlocks on beer fermentation all the time. No introduction of undesirable flavors...or contamination..but strong aeration before ... And temp...

May not be appropriate for your starter... No reason to change if it is working for you...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #2226
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Channing, but sourdough starter in its active phase needs to breathe, so it is loosely covered with waxed paper.

After I use it...I hope it works ...I will feed it again, then seal it up the next day for the frig.

It is clearly alive, but not as active as I would like....however, it was in the freezer for at least the past 2 1/2 years.

Maggie