Old 04-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #2171
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Of all the things I miss on cold and rainy days when I am away, I miss my little woodstove the most.

Yes, it's cold and rainy here....wood is in, a fire is going, taxes are dropped off, labs have been done, a few more things picked up at the store, bread dough is mixed to bake tomorrow...and I am settled in my favorite chair with a cup of tea.

I washed up four prayer shawls this morning, completed during this trip, and will have a 5th one done before I turn them all in. . I did my part, even while gone.

Getting the sweet grands-who-live-close on Thursday after school, so needed ingredients to mix a batch of oatmeal cookies for them tomorrow....then we will go out to supper somewhere, and catch up on the happenings of the past 3 months. I like.

At almost 13, 11 & 9, time with Grandma looks different than it did even a few years ago, but they always look for homemade cookies at my house....and I don't disappoint them.

It's what Grandmas do. Love them babies.

Maggie

Old 04-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #2172
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
More choring here....hauling of wood, dusting and vacuuming, baked a pan of cookies.

Nothing going on, just checking in....

Maggie

Old 04-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #2173
Rivet Master

Hi Maggie, enjoy those grand babes....you win extra points for the cookies!

I drove 392 miles today,stopped to O/N in a nice Texas safety rest stop...136 miles short of Amarillo. This is manned 24/7, security camera survelance, police patrolled, well lit. Popular RV and trucker O/N spot. Feels safe. Back on the road in AM to Amarillo, Rv park there and get diesel.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #2174
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Dinner at....McDonald's. "no place where you have to wait" was their unanimous decision.

All three of them, books tucked under their arms and reading at every available moment. Their daddy's children.

Lots to do here....am still running from one thing to the next, haven't even stopped to make a list, yet.

I'll do that in the morning....after my coffee.

Maggie
Old 04-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #2175
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Maggie,

I certainly appreciate kids that read. All of ours are that way, and super successful. It's a good thing!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #2176
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, omnivorous reading builds good minds.

I have been exhausted since I returned home.....sleeping 9-10 hours at night, and actually laying down for a quick nap during the day, almost unheard of for me.

I feel like I'm coming out the other end of it, 4 days home, and Wednesday's labs revealed nothing unusual...lest anyone express that concern.

I think some pent-up emotion from the rally, letting down upon my arrival home....where I had fought the urge to leave before the real rally had even begun....marching thru, enjoying friends and new acquaintances, and doing my part for the potlucks.

That kind of emotional guarding... and duplicity of a sort... builds up internally, tho, and comes out eventually. For me, in exhaustion...it's happened before.

Out of great respect and affection for John, Susan, et al, and the group itself since the very first one, I wrote minimally about what distressed and unsettled me there, and that's not going to change...because, I love those folks.

For those who don't know this, I will say that the WBCCI and I are not friends....this goes back to when Doug & I were members, and the reasons that we left...I felt a definite shift, and it was not good for me, personally.

I'm glad I stayed, as I had time with people I adore but don't see often, and met a lot of friendly new folks.

I'm home, settling back in...recovering....and, I think, grieving a bit.

Life.

Maggie
Old 04-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #2177
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have had this idea muddling around in my head, of building a simple outdoor fireplace, for hot dog and marshmallow roasts when the grands are here, as well as outdoor fires, burning fallen branches, etc.

Looking into it, and being more realistic about my abilities, I have decided on a purchased fire pit on a slate or stone surface....should be able to do that myself ....and wondering if there isn't a way to incorporate some Edisto shells into the cement.

I would then have them to look at when my aging self is no longer able to make those trips.

I brought lots of shells back, also have some in my rock bed that are broken, which could be removed and imbedded.

If y'all have any thoughts and/or experience, please share....I will also do some research specifically on incorporating shells into whatever.

Maggie
Old 04-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #2178
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Find a preferably "seasoned" mason (cement person, not the club) and have him give you a quote on a design you draw up and ask him to incorporate the shells into the surface cement finish he does on the outside of whatever you design so that the shells are there, but not negatively impacted by the heat from the fire.

Me I just took a round slap from an old house A/C we had replaced and put some firebricks around it up three bricks high and let her roar.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #2179
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I might pick up some brick-sized paver molds, and try making a few of those with Edisto shells incorporated into them.

I have a shrub bed that needs to be bordered, and making pavers would provide an outlet for me to use some shells and create the needed border....for decorative surfaces, rather than something that must be walked on.

Maggie
Old 04-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #2180
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie...glad you two are home safe and getting back "into it"... sure enjoyed your trip... keep having fun...hugs and love from the Oregon coast, gail
Old 04-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #2181
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail!

Yep, settling back in, making myself tackle a chore at a time lest I be overwhelmed by their sheer numbers.

Maggie
Old 04-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #2182
4 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hi Maggie!
Look up "tabby pavers" on Pinterest. You should be able to find instructions on how to make what you want.
Snowed on us last night at Jackson Center. We will be here until probably Tuesday. Still waiting on a part.
Took a tour of the new, new Interstates on the factory floor. Wow and cha-ching.
Be well and stay warm!

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #2183
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've been looking at those, Page....going to wait awhile to start something like that, but I think bordering that shrub bed with those will be my start.

Those new Interstates are way out of my price range, especially because mine will be paid off this year.

I will get a good look at Evelyn's this summer, and that will be good enough for me. My older model is more a camper van....I like.

60 degrees in the little house and 26 outside when I got up this morning....winter's last hurrah. Supposed to be 70 by this time next week.

My deeply discounted outdoor fire pit arrives today, and once I have figured out how to put it together I will begin burning up downed branches from the winter and small bits of firewood from the pile by the patio that is almost gone.

Yikes. Wood moved there and onto the patio nearly two years ago...in what I believe was a 3 week, Gorilla Cart endeavor, from wood I hired split from trees taken down in the fall of 2013....huge pieces then rolled and stacked by Doug and a neighbor before winter set in.

I remember that spring well. Sigh.

There is at least two more winters worth of wood still stacked on my patio. A phenomenal amount of wood from those two trees.

I settled into bed last night, watching House of Cards on my IPad ....I wish it wasn't all so damned believable....Lily snuggled next to me where she could be patted and loved on.

Reaching into the bedside table for a match to light a candle....a couple of matchbooks still there, picked up by Doug, who loved to collect matchbooks and kept ones from special places in a glass beer stein...favorite hotels, pubs and restaurants from trips here and there.

These are just ordinary matchbooks, as special ones were to keep but never use....and how old must they be, because how seldom do you find matchbooks given away anywhere these days.

Small vestiges of my sweet hubby, here and there around the little house, like his aftershave still in his side of the medicine cabinet...and in the Interstate, where reside a couple of matchbooks and the receipt from oranges we bought at a market stand on March 6, 2014....tucked in that little cubby on the driver's side, where he put them and I have left them... along with his ball cap from Gunsite hanging on my side now...as tangible reminders of who he was and our life together.

I am doing well, but still in the in-process, missing him every day.

Life.

Maggie
Old 04-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #2184
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These are why hearts were such a symbol for Doug and I, and why finding them here and there these days lead me to believe he guides me to those very spots....so that I know his spirit and love remain nearby.

Like the nearly-perfectly-heart-shaped-shell-piece I found at Edisto just about a month ago.

Doug drew these on those disposable paper tablecloths at restaurants, then pulling out his tiny Swiss Army knife with the little scissor to cut them out and present them to me...with a flourish and a grin.

I have a pile of them....this one from an outdoor cafe in Paris, where we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary....and which still lives on my refrigerator, where I put it when we returned from that trip.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	260225